*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
under spring 2013 where it is on transcript
Ok thats good to know. Follow up question, what would i put as my year in school for the AP credit?

Members don't see this ad.

@gonnif Do you by chance know the answer to my question?

Or did you....

skip me because you hate me :eek:

Just kidding, answered it myself

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about a weird coursework input. I registered for a summer course and had to drop it after 1 day of class (so it was within the drop deadline and I did not receive a W grade). However, on my official transcription, it states summer session and a statement below it: "Withdrawn from University". Below that, it did not list any course I withdrew, I had 0 credit completed, attempted, and received no grades or GPA changes. My question is whether or not I need to input anything into AMCAS for this particular section. I am also going to try to call my university to see if I can get this removed because I think it could be possibly an error made by my university. Thank you for the advice!

Hello everyone! I'm not sure if this is the right forum for me to post this question but when do we start receiving secondaries? Some schools list June 1st as the first day we can submit secondaries about I thought that primaries open then so how do can we even submit secondaries? Thank you!

Hey all! I am currently doing contract work through an online tutoring company. I don't have a supervisor and I called to ask who I could list as a contact for AMCAS and they just gave me a general corporate email. What should I do in this situation if I don't have any specific person as a point of contact?

Hey all! I am currently doing contract work through an online tutoring company. I don't have a supervisor and I called to ask who I could list as a contact for AMCAS and they just gave me a general corporate email. What should I do in this situation if I don't have any specific person as a point of contact?
You could list yourself, but first, why don't you try emailing your question to the company and see if you get a timely response to a question about whether your involvement can be verified by anyone at headquarters.

You could list yourself, but first, why don't you try emailing your question to the company and see if you get a timely response to a question about whether your involvement can be verified by anyone at headquarters.
Just sent off an email! Hopefully email will be more fruitful than the phone call!

Thank you so much!

Most gunners are just 'droids with less personality
If you ever so happen to be looking at my application, I'll happily break that mold for ya;) Some of us really just genuinely love this whole process, and flourish in this environment in a way that leads to the "gunner" stats/EC's/whatever. I graduated with a 2.5 GPA from high school -- college and medicine turned me around.

Keeping with the Star Wars theme, I'm the Anakin from the dark side turned light.

@gonnif

My transfer credits from AP courses show a grade of "T" on my official transcript. Is that the grade I should put down for "course grade"? Or should I leave it blank?

And since I took college classes before Fall of Freshmen year at that institute ( I took a course during the summer), should I mark my other "AP credits" coming in in the summer or fall of freshmen year? I have it down for fall.

Thanks so much :D

I had a Pass/Fail course in college, but instead of assigning "P" or "F", the college uses "CR" for Pass. For the grade entry portion of AMCAS, should I enter what is designated on my transcript (CR), or should I go ahead and type "P"?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Where can I find the secondary essay prompts from last year? I have seen them before but now I can't find them.

Submitted my application today and it was verified in 30 minutes! :laugh: Just to make sure, even though my status states "Application has been made available to the designated medical schools," it will not actually be sent to the schools until June 30th, correct?

Do LORs need to be assigned to schools prior to AMCAS primary submission, or is this something that can be changed after verification? I realize that AMCAS Letter Service is a separate entity, but I don't understand how one would go about assigning letters after submitting the primary.

Not sure if this matters too much, but what should I put for "Contact's title" when listing artistic endeavors? Is "Self" acceptable?

Thanks!

Where can I find the secondary essay prompts from last year? I have seen them before but now I can't find them.

They can be found here -

Allopathic School-Specific Discussions (<2017) - a subforum of the Pre-Medical MD forum.

Specifically last years can be found here - 2016-2017 Secondaries (Alphabetical LIst)

Submitted my application today and it was verified in 30 minutes! :laugh: Just to make sure, even though my status states "Application has been made available to the designated medical schools," it will not actually be sent to the schools until June 30th, correct?

Yup that is correct, aka you won't receive secondaries until that date (at the earliest) - Pre-Med Calendar

Do LORs need to be assigned to schools prior to AMCAS primary submission, or is this something that can be changed after verification? I realize that AMCAS Letter Service is a separate entity, but I don't understand how one would go about assigning letters after submitting the primary.

LORs can be assigned after primary submission - check out the FAQ - *~*~*~*Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

Reactions: 1 user
I have a quick question regarding the course/work. When entering my classes for some reason after I save sometimes they don't save in a chronological order and they aren't listed in the exact order as the term. Is that a problem? I read on the AMCAS HELP section that it was a common mistake for returned applications.

@gonnif So I submitted my application, but accidentally omitted one school I wanted to apply to. If I "update" the application, does that effect the processing time, or affect it in any way, really?

Why's that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile
The answer to that is a page or two back. The reason to wait until you confirm a letter is uploaded before assigning the letters to a specific school is to avoid the uneasy situation which often arises: You give Professor X's name to all your schools and it turns out Prof X is very late in writing your letter (or never gets around to it at all!) AMCAS won't proceed with transmitting your app to schools until they have all the letters you said you wanted included. So much safer to see what letters are truly available and select from these

The answer to that is a page or two back. The reason to wait until you confirm a letter is uploaded before assigning the letters to a specific school is to avoid the uneasy situation which often arises: You give Professor X's name to all your schools and it turns out Prof X is very late in writing your letter (or never gets around to it at all!) AMCAS won't proceed with transmitting your app to schools until they have all the letters you said you wanted included. So much safer to see what letters are truly available and select from these
Ah, makes sense!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

bug in AMCAS; ignore it

This is the last thing I'm waiting for to submit, should I call and notify them tomorrow and then submit it or should I just go and submit whenever?

I have a quick question regarding the course/work. When entering my classes for some reason after I save sometimes they don't save in a chronological order and they aren't listed in the exact order as the term. Is that a problem? I read on the AMCAS HELP section that it was a common mistake for returned applications.

So, do the classes you are having problems with happen to be summer classes? Summer classes are weird in that they count toward the next year rather than the current/previous. This was confusing to me. Whether it was a glitch in the system or a mistake on your part, AMCAS will see and can fix it when they verify your grades. I would go ahead and submit.

@gonnif! Last question, I promise :p

Ok so now all my semester grades are FINALLY in, however my university said "official GPA" won't be calculated for a week or so. Is it fine to just send in my transcript now if all my coursework grades are in?

From what I understand, AMCAS recalculates our GPA anyways.

Do I list all AP courses I've taken/were accepted or only AP courses that are contributing to my graduation requirements?

Also do I list upcoming courses for the following semester?

Hi everyone

I have a question about foreign education. I started my undegrad in Eastern Europe before moving to United States and getting a degree here. I understand that I dont have to request a transcript from my foreign university. I have some credits transfered to my American college. In my transcript, transfered credits marked as Elective, Gen ED, with a mark CR instead of the grade, however there is no further description. Do I put them the way they are as a part of my transcript?
Thank you a lot

Hi everyone

I have a question about foreign education. I started my undegrad in Eastern Europe before moving to United States and getting a degree here. I understand that I dont have to request a transcript from my foreign university. I have some credits transfered to my American college. In my transcript, transfered credits marked as Elective, Gen ED, with a mark CR instead of the grade, however there is no further description. Do I put them the way they are as a part of my transcript?
Thank you a lot

I'm sure @gonnif will clarify but general rule of thumb is mark everything identically to your transcript.

Do I list all AP courses I've taken/were accepted or only AP courses that are contributing to my graduation requirements?

Also do I list upcoming courses for the following semester?

I believe the only courses that need to be listed as far as APs are the ones that gave you college credit. Say you took 5 APs and passed, but only 4 of them are granted as credit on your transcript - then you only list 4.

Upcoming courses should be listed especially if they are med school requirements. I'm not 100% sure if non-med requirements are necessary to be listed as future courses but @gonnif shall shed some light

As the young jedi has learned well. If it is on your transcript as an AP, you must list on your AMCAS.
The exception to this is for transferred courses. You must list those only from the original college were you too the course

Thanks! With regards to upcoming courses, none of them are medical school requirements. In that case would I not need to list any?

That is a common misnomer. The primary application is not used by AMCAS nor is it used by individual schools to check for prereqs. Most school do not, repeat, do not check for prerequisite fulfillment at time of application. Rather they are checked after you have taken up an offer of acceptance by a school during pre-matriculation. At that time you will be required to have all official transcripts sent to the specific medical school where it will be checked, among other things, for prerequisite fulfillment .

I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info. Will keep that in mind for future posts on this thread as I further attempt to steal your glory as the legend of the AMCAS Questions Thread

AMCAS has nothing to do with prereqs or such nor do are these checked during application at most schools. You should either list all the courses or not list any. If you are junior applying, adcoms would likely expect to see your senior courses listed.

Thanks. I'm a junior, so they would only expect to see the fall senior courses listed right? They won't expect us to guess what courses we will take in the spring semester?

One last question! I played a D1 sport in college and we were given credit for it (idk why?). The grade reported is a P, do I need to mark that as pass/fail?

If I took 2 classes at an institution (1 during undergrad, 1 during post-bac), should I list this institution twice under the 'colleges attended' portion? If I put it only as 1 entry, what should I put for the 'program type', where it asks if it was undergrad or post bac?

You have to list it twice, but note transcript exception for postbacc as all courses are on one transcript
Thank you! For the question 'were credits from X institution transferred to another institution', would I mark 'Yes', then put the institution to where the credit was transferred as my primary undergraduate college?

Lets clear this up. If it is on your UGs transcripts as transferred, then it was transferred. If not, then it isnt transferred. You have to read your transcript
Oh, got it. Yes, it is listed on my UG transcript. I'll note it as transferred. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi. I'm including an on campus club I've been involved in on my AMCAS. Been in the club as a member for 2 years to date, but as an officer 1 year to date. First semester (treasurer), second semester (secretary), and next two semesters (president). The experience is NOT most meaningful, and I am struggling to condense all this into 700 characters - given that the first half is my duties (of all three positions) and the second half is my reflection. Any advice on what to do for the first half? Do I say "multiple officer positions" and give general duties, or should I focus on the most recent and what I have planned? Or would anyone recommend another approach? Thanks in advance.

My apologies if this question has been asked before (I promise I searched). I own a photography business, which I have been managing since 2008. Do I just put myself as the contact for this? Is it an artistic endeavor or paid employment - non clinical? It's profitable, so it's not a hobby. I have considered putting the IRS down as the main contact...

Also, I created a design website as a kind of artistic hobby (I also make some money off it, but really just a few bucks a year). I was planning to list it as artistic endeavor. Or is it a hobby? It's kind of up in the air. It could also vaguely fall under paid employment, but that would be stretching it. Again, do I put myself as the main contact?

The rest of my experiences seem relatively straight forward.

Last second question - this may have been asked before but I don't even know what search terms to enter.

I am a non-trad student and have a somewhat complicated "Schools Attended" list situation. Since graduating several years ago, I've taken prereqs part-time at several schools. Currently I'm taking my final prereq (a lab course) at a school that I took prereqs at earlier, which I'm listing as a "current/future" course in the Course Work section. Basically I took the following:

Courses at School A - fall 2015
Courses at School B - spring and summer 2016
Final course again at School A - summer 2017

So my question is, in the Schools Attended section, do I list the start and end dates of attending School A as "fall 2015 - summer 2017," even though I actually didn't attend it at all in 2016 and this would overlap the dates when I was attending school B instead? Or should I list the school twice, once for year 2015 and again for my in-progress course for year 2017? Or should I just list the dates for School A to end in fall 2015, and ignore my in-progress course for the purposes of the Schools Attended section?

I contact AMCAS on a similar problem - I took summer courses at one school in 2001 and 2002, then did some postbac work in 2016-2017. They said to list it as 2001-2017, then enter each semester with the appropriate description.

Last edited:
My apologies if this question has been asked before (I promise I searched). I own a photography business, which I have been managing since 2008. Do I just put myself as the contact for this? Is it an artistic endeavor or paid employment - non clinical? It's profitable, so it's not a hobby. I have considered putting the IRS down as the main contact...

Also, I created a design website as a kind of artistic hobby (I also make some money off it, but really just a few bucks a year). I was planning to list it as artistic endeavor. Or is it a hobby? It's kind of up in the air. It could also vaguely fall under paid employment, but that would be stretching it. Again, do I put myself as the main contact?

Your best bet is posting here - *~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~* and @Catalystik should be able to help you out. Although IIRC Cat was saying for artistic endeavors self is fine but if you have a colleague that worked with you at all you can put them as well.

Let me see if I can find the post un momento

See quote below in reference to post above (sorry couldn't edit the post in)

For listing yourself as the contact: Perhaps, Musician, Artist in Training, Cellist, Poet, Film Writer, Novelist, Photographer, . . .. But you might also consider an old instructor, an agent, a co-member of a band, a publisher, etc, depending on what you're talking about.

Thanks! You mean list the old and current courses in the "Course Work" section, and it's just okay that they are overlapping in the "Schools Attended" section? I ask because there's really no way to give descriptions about specific semesters, or give any details about nuances at all, within the "Schools Attended" section.

They were fine with my schools overlapping (1999-2003, 2001-2017, and 2002 study abroad)

Note - this is what they told me. I'm submitting Monday or Tuesday and will let you know if I suddenly find out otherwise by having it returned to me