AMCAS Course Classification Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ani C

Reaction score
I did poorly in 2 classes named "evolution of animal behavior" and "principles of evolution". By poorly, I mean I received Cs for these classes. My university does not put subject indicators in front of course codes, for example it will just say "269:304" instead of a typical "BIOL 101" for example. These courses are under a "Department of Ecology, Evolution, and Natural Resources". Do you think I could label these courses as non-science and be able to have them NOT count under science GPA, as this would help me boost my sGPA from 3.04 to 3.2? I know ecology does count as a biological science course for BCPM, but unsure about these evolution classes. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I did poorly in 2 classes named "evolution of animal behavior" and "principles of evolution". By poorly, I mean I received Cs for these classes. My university does not put subject indicators in front of course codes, for example it will just say "269:304" instead of a typical "BIOL 101" for example. These courses are under a "Department of Ecology, Evolution, and Natural Resources". Do you think I could label these courses as non-science and be able to have them NOT count under science GPA, as this would help me boost my sGPA from 3.04 to 3.2? I know ecology does count as a biological science course for BCPM, but unsure about these evolution classes. Thank you!
Page 36 of 2025 AMCAS Guide

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
so I can label them as NPSC?
Looks reasonable. When AMCAS goes over your transcript part of what they do is see if your courses have been put in the proper classification, then compute your GPA.
Don't waste any more time worrying about this & just see how it goes.

Reactions: 1 users