**Official 2021 OMFS PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I emailed MATCH, they say the list gets released at noon on their website. Please let us know if you hear of anything else!
Hey, I didn't apply through MATCH so I likely won't get access to the list. could you post it here when it's up?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Match will send out an email with the link for the post-match list?

Anyone can access the list even if they didn't apply. They just need to pay the $95 fee. Can someone please post the open spots so we dont have to spend the money?

Reactions: 1 user
I really thought there would be more unmatched spots. AEGDs and GPRs had a massive number of unfilled positions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yale New Haven Hospital - Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency Program is opening up one non- categorical internship position starting July 1st, 2021

Intern primary roles include:

Dentoalveolar surgery in an outpatient clinic

Coverage of Operating Room cases

Participation in the call schedule/responding to consults for maxillofacial trauma, orofacial infections, and additional emergent conditions

Didactics:

Simulated anesthesia emergencies for OMS

Comprehensive Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology seminar for OMS surgeons

Oral and maxillofacial surgery topics lecture series

Surgical anatomy and cadaver lab for oral and maxillofacial surgery (Yale School of Medicine Anatomy Department)

Conferences:

Weekly OMS case conference and QA

Interdisciplinary dental implant conference and literature review

Orthognathic surgery conference

Craniofacial and maxillofacial trauma conference

OMS section grand rounds

This position is only being offered to residents who have or will complete a CODA accredited GPR PGY-1 year. For further information please reach out to the program director Dr. Johnson.

Although this is a relatively new position, our non-categorical from the previous year matched this cycle and we are very happy for him!

Michael P. Johnson, DMD, FACS

Program Director, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

[email protected]

Reactions: 2 users
Nope, my interviews were boring......thats my answer until after match then I can more honest about the process. I am more curious about some of the experiences applicants have had. I want to hear about the applicant perspective since so many were Zoom or otherwise.
Can you talk more of how the process went?

Posted on another thread- but figured I'd post here too. Does anyone know if most of the non cat internships typically filled at this point in time? So far, i've applied to 26 programs Tuesday/Wednesday. 7 are filled, 1 responded that they'll review apps this week, and no word yet from the rest. Was I too late waiting until after match?
we fill our non-cat spots in the 24-48 hours after match results come out.

Reactions: 4 users
Nope, my interviews were boring......thats my answer until after match then I can more honest about the process. I am more curious about some of the experiences applicants have had. I want to hear about the applicant perspective since so many were Zoom or otherwise.
come on tell us!

come on tell us!
It was not a great experience with Zoom in my opinion. We matched 4 out of our top 7 choices so that makes it easy to say it worked. But I just didn't like the process this time and I hope that we can go back to in-person. I also found that a few of the candidates were given advise about being almost aggressive in their interview style and questions. Like they were snorting coke under the desk during the interview to stay awake and a few others were almost like watching cement dry, so boring with minimal personality. I think that Zoom can give candidates a sense of safety/protection and less nervousness which may make their true personality come through, so maybe thats good. Dodging a bullet so to speak.

Thats my 2 cents.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I can tell you that when evaluating candidates I will always select a person with an internship over a fresh SOD 4th year. 4th years just have no idea what they are about to start unless they blow my socks off at the interview. It does happen, every year an SOD applicant will shine above all the others. Example, last year we took 4 residents, 3 with internships and one without. The one without the inter year was an interview all-star and externed with us and was a rockstar on the externship

Hey doc! Sorry for the bump but I came across this post as I’m preparing my applications and this gave me so much hope!! Seeing as it’s been a few years since this comment would you say that rockstar candidate is still crushing it? I guess I’m asking if his/her interview abilities transferred over to day-to-day responsibilities of a resident. I’m applying right out of school as well and seeing the number of programs with residents who have completed 1 or more noncat years is making me nervous.

Hey doc! Sorry for the bump but I came across this post as I’m preparing my applications and this gave me so much hope!! Seeing as it’s been a few years since this comment would you say that rockstar candidate is still crushing it? I guess I’m asking if his/her interview abilities transferred over to day-to-day responsibilities of a resident. I’m applying right out of school as well and seeing the number of programs with residents who have completed 1 or more noncat years is making me nervous.
Over half of the people who matched last year to OMS (52%) were applying as D4s. If you have a strong application and interview well you have a good shot

Can anyone explain why people are matching less straight out of school than before? For example back in 2017 almost 70% of people matching OMFS were right out of school. Now its around 50% and trending even lower.

Are programs shifting towards preferring those with noncats? Or are there just fewer applicants right out of school?

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone explain why people are matching less straight out of school than before? For example back in 2017 almost 70% of people matching OMFS were right out of school. Now its around 50% and trending even lower.

Are programs shifting towards preferring those with noncats? Or are there just fewer applicants right out of school?
- There are more applicants than spots.

- What is one to do if they don’t match? Some may give up, but most will do a non-cat year. What if they fail to match a 2nd time? Do another non-cat year. They keep going until they finally get it.

- Therefore, every year, the pool of applicants is growing. Not just all the new D4s, but the accumulating masses of non-cats. Which grows larger every year.

- all things being equal, a non-cat is better than a fresh grad.

- therefore, the chances of matching straight from school has become more difficult.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmm but it seems the number of applicants has actually gone down from a peak of 493 in 2021 to 408 in 2023. There were 419 applicants back in 2017. Dental Match | Statistics of the Match

Yet the number of students matching right out of school are decreasing.

(I think the spike in applicants from 2020 to 2022 might be due to Covid giving students extra time to study for the CBSE -> more applicants, but now that everything is back to normal the applicant numbers also seem to be back to normal)

Hmm but it seems the number of applicants has actually gone down from a peak of 493 in 2021 to 408 in 2023. There were 419 applicants back in 2017. Dental Match | Statistics of the Match

Yet the number of students matching right out of school are decreasing.

(I think the spike in applicants from 2020 to 2022 might be due to Covid giving students extra time to study for the CBSE -> more applicants, but now that everything is back to normal the applicant numbers also seem to be back to normal)
I guess you're right. My only other guess is maybe more fresh grads know their scores aren’t good enough, so rather than even apply and give it a shot, they do a non-cat year.

Last edited:
I guess you're right. My only other guess is maybe more fresh grads know their scores are good enough, so rather than even apply and give it a shot, they do a non-cat year.
Yeah that's definitely a possibility, especially since the average CBSE is going up. Either that or PD's are just preferring non-cats over fresh grads a lot more now. Unfortunately Match stats don't show us how many non-cats vs fresh grads applied.

@nade0016 I believe you're a PD? Could you please give your input on why we're seeing these recent trends.

Come on Yale. If you don’t stop living in the past you will never catch Harvard.