**Official 2021 OMFS PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from Brooklyn / Brookdale?

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't get too much traffic with my post on the main page (I appreciate the DM i did receive!) ...but just curious if anyone has any first hand experience with the program and Indiana University? DM me if you'd rather not discuss it publically. Just have a few questions about the program. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who interviewed at Howard can shed some light on this years interview process? Email info was kind of vague

Anyone who interviewed at Howard can shed some light on this years interview process? Email info was kind of vague
It’s a 30 min interview with the PD, rising chiefs, and one faculty member. Zoom link takes you right to their room

Has anyone heard from Washington DC Hospital Center or Detroit Receiving Hospital? Maybe they go by different names? I haven't seen or heard anything about them.

Thanks!

It’s pointless to rank programs you didn’t interview at right?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Nope, my interviews were boring......thats my answer until after match then I can more honest about the process. I am more curious about some of the experiences applicants have had. I want to hear about the applicant perspective since so many were Zoom or otherwise.

• Haha
Hope you don't ask these types of questions in residency.
I've never gone through match before, and I don't know anyone who has. So Im always going to ask for more information on something Im unfamiliar with.

Are all applicants to a program defaulted to that programs rank list? If a program interviewed 30 candidates, and all 30 candidates chose other programs, what happens then? Is the 31st applicant defaulted to 31st on the rank list? Is this an improbable situation?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Statement above it true. An I think we will have more that usual unmatched spots this year so get those applications/CV/Letters ready to send out. But I could be very wrong as well.
How do I get my letters ready? I don't think applicants have access to letters in PASS.
Do I have to ask my evaluators to send the letters directly to the programs with open positions?

How do I get my letters ready? I don't think applicants have access to letters in PASS.
Do I have to ask my evaluators to send the letters directly to the programs with open positions?
Recc. Letters was a mis-statement. Get everything you got together as thats what programs will want. a CV, letter of intent, etc.

Hi everyone, I hope interviews went well. Just FYI, UT Houston OMFS have 2 non-categorical intern spots available for the next academic year (2021-2022). Our non-cat program started about 4 years ago and have matched people into programs such as Knoxville, Brookdale NYC, Maryland, S. Carolina, and UTH. The non-cats are treated as 1st year residents and have similar responsibilities/experiences as PGY1's. Please feel to contact me for more info or with any questions about the internship and/or our program. Best of luck on the match!

Statement above it true. An I think we will have more that usual unmatched spots this year so get those applications/CV/Letters ready to send out. But I could be very wrong as well.
How does one obtain a list of unmatched spots?

Just curious - why does it take 1+ week for the match results to be released? Technically if all rank lists are due at the same time for applicants and programs, shouldn't the results be available almost instantaneously?

Just curious - why does it take 1+ week for the match results to be released? Technically if all rank lists are due at the same time for applicants and programs, shouldn't the results be available almost instantaneously?
They conduct the algorithm several times to make sure there are no errors. It’s like 6 business days after rank deadline.

Why does it take so long to get our results?

NMS spends the time between the Rank Order List deadline and the Match Results Day checking and re-checking the data to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the Match results. Before we can process the Match, we look for potential errors or mistakes in the rankings submitted by applicants and programs. We are able to catch some (but not all) errors, and it does take a significant amount of time to reach these participants to follow-up, verify, and correct these mistakes. Program Directors and applicants are generally busy and can be very difficult to reach. We then have to run the matching algorithm and prepare the results for distribution via the various channels. While it may seem like it takes a long time to get your result, we are able to deliver the results in a time frame that is equal to or less than that of other matching programs of comparable (or even smaller) size in other professions.”

Best of luck to everyone waiting for the match! The past few years have been wild leading up to this, hope everyone has the best outcome on Tuesday!

Reactions: 9 users
Did anyone else who interviewed at MUSC get a email on Thurs? It was the '20-'21 institution (not omfs specific) resident handbook and acknowledgment form to sign and return? Looked like an internal form that all interviewees are to sign, acknowledging that they've seen the resident handbook? The timing of this email is messing with my brain.

edit: years

Last edited:
Did anyone else who interviewed at MUSC get a email on Thurs? It was the '19-'20 institution (not omfs specific) resident handbook and acknowledgment form to sign and return? Looked like an internal form that all interviewees are to sign, acknowledging that they've seen the resident handbook? The timing of this email is messing with my brain.
I got it too

edit: mine was the GME Handbook 2020-2021 not 19-20

Last edited:
Anyone else find themselves coming back to this page all weekend even though there is nothing to update? 🙃 I think it's a compulsion at this point.

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone else find themselves coming back to this page all weekend even though there is nothing to update? 🙃 I think it's a compulsion at this point.
I like to google "how many hours till january 19 11:00" and refresh the page all day >_<

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
It will likely come out earlier than that. Phase 1 came out at 5:40AM CST according to my ortho-bound classmate.
Oh good, another reason not to sleep tomorrow night 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Best of luck to everyone out there. Sending good vibes. Lots of hard work gets put into this road

Reactions: 7 users
Match Eve poem by Mrs. Scarn

tWas the night before match day and all through the house
Not an applicant was sleeping, not even their spouse.
All the rank lists were numbered, submitted with care,
in the hopes that school "number one" soon would be theirs.

Hopefuls everywhere nestled snug in their beds,
while visions of third molars danced in their heads.
And me in my scrubs, i turned off the light,
and settled myself in for the world's longest night.

When from my iPhone there came such a clatter,
i sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the charger I ran in a dash; the screen came alive in a brilliant white flash.

The box on the screen blinked to notify me
It had just received an email that I needed to see.
And what to my wondering eyes should appear
but a subject line saying omfs match finally here!

In a rush of adrenaline, my patience was gone.
I'm done with this waiting, let the match bring it on!
As true as sdn my confidence came, and I whistled, and shouted, and called them by name!

Now parkland! Now, Vanderbilt! Now, San Antonio or Unc!
On, Baylor! On, Oregon! On, Florida or Kentucky!
To my life's next six years! Now don't make me wait!
Now bring it on! Tell me! Show me my fate!

As if in slow motion, the email opened up.
My eyes scanned the page, my fingers crossed for luck.
In confusion I searched, come on, what's the catch?
And then, in awful clarity, the words, "you did not match".

My body went limp, eyes rolled back in my head.
My life flashed before my eyes. I fell back on the bed.
My throat was closing in! My lungs found no air!
My hands clawed my throat, and ripped out my hair!

This just couldn't be right! Was my mind playing tricks?
Could I really go on? Add another year to six?!
What had I done wrong? What qualities did I lack?
I must run far away and never come back!

"No, no!" moaned my voice in an unearthly tone.
I was ruined, defeated... The match had won!
I writhed in my misery, sweat soaking my scrubs.
I pled for some assistance, some help from above!

I opened my eyes to a glimmer of light, the clock on my nightstand showing midnight.
I bolted up straight, and off the bed I fell.
Somehow I had slept-and dreamed myself into hell!

I gasped for a breath, I reached for my phone.
No new messages! The email from hades was gone!
I laugh in hysterics, I feel I could dance! My fate yet undecided! I have another chance!

The night is still young. Several hours remain,
enough for at least 10 more nightmares of the same.
My pulse starts to slow, my head is finally clear.
There's still 6 dreaded hours until match day is here!
I’ve read this every year of dental school. Can’t wait to live it tonight

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Made a new thread for results tomorrow

Reactions: 1 users
Lonely Talk To Me GIF by Michelle Porucznik

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
How come the match website says results come out at noon (12pm ET)?

Good luck to all those hoping to match! Life is busy but secure on the other side.

also last year the match came out around 8am est fwiw

• Care