USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
I got my score last week at 8:30am eastern time.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE! Last week was a great week, hopefully we get tons of positive vibes on here today too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortantely my nbmes overestimated. I didnt do terrible but i didnt do as great either. I knew it coming out of the exam thou. Lets just say i got less than 230 which nbmes would tell me otherwise. My advice is to sleep well the night before, forget about cramming and do questions before going in the exam to be mentally prepared. Remember that if u pass u cant repeat it. You need to be mentally prepared because anxiety, and mental blick can happen(saying it by experience). I blocked the first block and i think i will regret it for the resf of my days. But oh well. It wasnt a horrible score either just not what i know i couldve gotten and i dont want to qrite it here after seeing all the 250-260ish all over the place lol. Good luck to everybody else!! I wish u guys the best

Reactions: 4 users
Unfortantely my nbmes overestimated. I didnt do terrible but i didnt do as great either. I knew it coming out of the exam thou. Lets just say i got less than 230 which nbmes would tell me otherwise. My advice is to sleep well the night before, forget about cramming and do questions before going in the exam to be mentally prepared. Remember that if u pass u cant repeat it. You need to be mentally prepared because anxiety, and mental blick can happen(saying it by experience). I blocked the first block and i think i will regret it for the resf of my days. But oh well. It wasnt a horrible score either just not what i know i couldve gotten and i dont want to qrite it here after seeing all the 250-260ish all over the place lol. Good luck to everybody else!! I wish u guys the best
Congratulations for being done with step 1 and since you say that you are close to 230, you are fine. Do not forget that the average is 229.
Now just go and celebrate for being done with step 1

Reactions: 2 users
CONGRATULATIONS.....we really appreciate sharing your journey...you are done with the toughest part....time to just chill buddy.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations for being done with step 1 and since you say that you are close to 230, you are fine. Do not forget that the average is 229.
Now just go and celebrate for being done with step 1
Thank you for that :) That makes me feel better

Reactions: 1 users

You should be proud for going decently on this beast. It's not easy at all, anyone who's done this understands that. Very few people get 240s let alone 250s/260s even though it often doesn't seem that way. Stats don't lie. There's a reason the national average is under 230 and most people taking these exams are smart hard working people. That's how they got into med school, made it through basic sciences, and qualified to even touch this monster of an exam. Congrats!

You should be proud for going decently on this beast. It's not easy at all, anyone who's done this understands that. Very few people get 240s let alone 250s/260s even though it often doesn't seem that way. Stats don't lie. There's a reason the national average is under 230 and most people taking these exams are smart hard working people. That's how they got into med school, made it through basic sciences, and qualified to even touch this monster of an exam. Congrats!
I dont want to scare people who haven't taken it and had similar to me in nbmes, so im just going to say it. I got a 220. My NBME over predict but it had a lot to do with my mental state in the exam that day so dont worry that you will get the same thing or w.e, just please when you take it be mentally prepared. I totally regret it. I did no questions the last week besides one NBME in the weekend and did not sleep the night before and did no block questions before going in. I mentally blocked the first 1-2 blocks. Thats why I mention how important it is to rest and practice.

P.S. my behavioral science was the lowest lol. Was not expecting that at all. I always get it super high. They dont even say how many you got wrong. I wrote all the questions in a document after I came out and I only found like 20 questions wrong so idk I guess I just have to forget about it

thank you for those kind words btw <3 it really means a lot

I dont want to scare people who haven't taken it and had similar to me in nbmes, so im just going to say it. I got a 220. My NBME over predict but it had a lot to do with my mental state in the exam that day so dont worry that you will get the same thing or w.e, just please when you take it be mentally prepared. I totally regret it. I did no questions the last week besides one NBME in the weekend and did not sleep the night before and did no block questions before going in. I mentally blocked the first 1-2 blocks. Thats why I mention how important it is to rest and practice.

P.S. my behavioral science was the lowest lol. Was not expecting that at all. I always get it super high. They dont even say how many you got wrong. I wrote all the questions in a document after I came out and I only found like 20 questions wrong so idk I guess I just have to forget about it

You never know, alot of it depends on the day, the individual test, ect. There are lots of factor. I know people who had little sleep or didn't do questions like you were saying and scored the same or higher and all over the place with regards to their nbmes. I wouldn't beat yourself up about it or try to over think it because you just never know. You're far from a horrible score and you've been through alot as anyone has writing this. I think you definitely deserve to destress and get some good sleep and start living again. It's hard to think clearly too after this emotional roller coaster of writing and waiting.

congratulations to those who got scores today and got what they wanted and good luck to everyone else in the near future!!, im going to get off now and celebrate a little lol if have any questions don't hesitate in PM me

Members don't see this ad :)
You never know, alot of it depends on the day, the individual test, ect. There are lots of factor. I know people who had little sleep or didn't do questions like you were saying and scored the same or higher and all over the place with regards to their nbmes. I wouldn't beat yourself up about it or try to over think it because you just never know. You're far from a horrible score and you've been through alot as anyone has writing this. I think you definitely deserve to destress and get some good sleep and start living again. It's hard to think clearly too after this emotional roller coaster of writing and waiting.
Yeah, I guess it depends the person. In my case I knew during the exam I wasn't functioning at the beginning until I started freaking out and realised I needed to get my sh** together haha, definitely learned my lesson for step 2 at least and thanks for the support!, roller coaster is the perfect description hehe

Oh wait!! I forgot to mention!! The only one it was close to predictive was uworld assessment 2, and my exam was even similar so just in case do that one because u never know if u get one like mine, its good also for practice

Is the answer A for this? Tried searching and made me more confused! Some people are saying E??

[copyrighted material removed by moderator]
I believe the answer is A...that's at least what I thought at first look.

Whoever said it's E is thinking it's Primary hyperparathyroidism...which I don't think those values are correct because in primary (and secondary) there is also an increase in ALP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the answer is A...that's at least what I thought at first look.

Whoever said it's E is thinking it's Primary hyperparathyroidism...which I don't think those values are correct because in primary (and secondary) there is also an increase in ALP.
I have had this question on my exam. I do agree with your choice. Most probably it is coeliac with hypo Ca and P.

Is the answer A for this? Tried searching and made me more confused! Some people are saying E??

It's A.

Low vitamin D --> low Calcium, phosphorus --> high PTH --> high APL.

Also, quick question.

Primary HYPOparathyroidism, low PTH, low Ca, high phosphorus. What about alkaline P? It's definitely not increased. I read a few sources and some of them say it's low, some say it's normal.
What do you think?

It is A the Loser zones they described there classic for osteomalacia plus loose stools means vit D deficiency dont forget ADEK

It's A.

Low vitamin D --> low Calcium, phosphorus --> high PTH --> high APL.

Also, quick question.

Primary HYPOparathyroidism, low PTH, low Ca, high phosphorus. What about alkaline P? It's definitely not increased. I read a few sources and some of them say it's low, some say it's normal.
What do you think?

Hmmm...ALP I believe is increased because of the action of PTH on osteoblasts. But if there's low PTH, then there shouldn't be a an increase. I would think it would be normal...because I don't know what could cause it to actually decrease. But I'm not positive on this.

Hmmm...ALP I believe is increased because of the action of PTH on osteoblasts. But if there's low PTH, then there shouldn't be a an increase. I would think it would be normal...because I don't know what could cause it to actually decrease. But I'm not positive on this.

Yeah... the problem is I found a few legit sources saying that it might be either increased or normal and I seriously don't know :p
Anyway, thank you for your response!

Hey everyone. So I just took NBME 15. I got a 207 and I'm freaking out. I still need to review Micro, MSK, Biostats, behavioral, neuro, reproduction and all pharm. Exam is in 1 month from today. I plan on going through all of pathoma next week. Then all pharm the following week. Then watching all of Boards and Beyond the following two weeks coupled with UWorld focusing on neuro, biochem, reproduction heavily. I'm only 50% through UWorld right now. 60% so far. Does anyone have advice or think it's possible to get to a 240? I know I've got a lot of material to get through in a short amount of time. Plan on doing 16 hour days (8am-12am) with 8 hours Boards and Beyond, 8 hours UWorld (120Q/day). Reviewing my exams, I'm mostly narrowing everything down to two choices. Of the 46 questions I missed on NBME 15, I should have easily gotten 10 more questions right but I haven't reviewed some things for awhile (reason for B&B quick review). Please give insight! Thanks.

Hey everyone. So I just took NBME 15. I got a 207 and I'm freaking out. I still need to review Micro, MSK, Biostats, behavioral, neuro, reproduction and all pharm. Exam is in 1 month from today. I plan on going through all of pathoma next week. Then all pharm the following week. Then watching all of Boards and Beyond the following two weeks coupled with UWorld focusing on neuro, biochem, reproduction heavily. I'm only 50% through UWorld right now. 60% so far. Does anyone have advice or think it's possible to get to a 240? I know I've got a lot of material to get through in a short amount of time. Plan on doing 16 hour days (8am-12am) with 8 hours Boards and Beyond, 8 hours UWorld (120Q/day). Reviewing my exams, I'm mostly narrowing everything down to two choices. Of the 46 questions I missed on NBME 15, I should have easily gotten 10 more questions right but I haven't reviewed some things for awhile (reason for B&B quick review). Please give insight! Thanks.

I mean, if you truly were able to do what you said then possibly...but there is one thing you need to keep in mind. You are saying you want to do 8 hours of B and B a day +8 hours of UWorld. I am going through B and B right now and I can tell you that usually to use B and B and actually retain anything it takes much longer than the actual length of time of the videos. What I mean is that "8 hours of video time" is equal to probably 16 hours of video time once you factor in actually trying to learn the material (reading in FA, drawing stuff out, etc.) If you literally just burn through 8 hours straight of videos without trying to memorize stuff, you won't absorb much. Just my 2 cents.

Also, 120 UWorld questions a day is a ton...especially if you are going slow and making sure you understand everything.

16 hour day is ridiculous. You need to give your brain time to rest, and account for time to eat. You'll actually retain more for the whole day if you give yourself adequate breaks to eat and relax then studying non-stop for 16 hours straight. Not to mention, you'd probably burn out in about a week. Quality > Quantity.

16 hour day is ridiculous. You need to give your brain time to rest, and account for time to eat. You'll actually retain more for the whole day if you give yourself adequate breaks to eat and relax then studying non-stop for 16 hours straight. Not to mention, you'd probably burn out in about a week. Quality > Quantity.
16 hour days includes breaks. 7 hours of Boards and Beyond. 5 hours of UWorld. At this point I'm too far behind to spend a lot of time on UWorld. I know it's atypical but I've never gotten much out of reading the material.

16 hour days includes breaks. 7 hours of Boards and Beyond. 5 hours of UWorld. At this point I'm too far behind to spend a lot of time on UWorld. I know it's atypical but I've never gotten much out of reading the material.

Like I said above though...my point is if you are doing 7-8 hours of Boards and Beyond...that could take up to 14 hours because of the time it takes to memorize the material and understand it in a way that will make it useful for your exam. For example, I did what you are saying with the biochem portion of B and B and remember very little because I wasn't drawing stuff out and reviewing it (which takes a ton of time). If you know the material well, then maybe breezing through B and B will be easier, but from what you said it seems like you need to focus more on getting the info down. I am just trying to help. If you think B and B helps more than doing questions, by all means do it. Everyone is different.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Hey I'm doing a similar approach. I got a 198 on NBME 15. Taking the exam June 2nd. What I'm doing in thet meantime is 8-12pm Boards and Beyond watching at 1.75 speed and First Aid review making an anki deck only on things I don't know. Then at 1pm I hit Uworld hard until about 8 or 9pm. I usually finish around 75-80 questions per day. I'm planning on skipping his infectious section and substituting that for Sketchy which I'll do from 8-12pm. I do this Monday-Saturday and hope to finish about 1 week before the exam at which point I'll make a final read of FA around 100 pages per day and my incorrects.

would say D because it forms the cell wall and its a gram + which eliminates some of the others which to me seems likethe best answer

Not sure how to go about this? TIA.

I'd go with D.

LPS is a toxin. Glycoprotein more for viral particles (not only viruses obviously) and I just think they ask about the main component of the Gram + cell wall.

I think. Not 100% positive, though.

Congrats to all those who received their scores today!

My exam is in 2 weeks. I'm averaging 55% or so on UWorld with 20% complete. I made the mistake of trying to save UW after I'd studied a bit. Going to take an NBME tomorrow or Friday. Talked with my administration, they aren't worried about my scores. I'm just super worried, nervous, etc.

Ohhhh.. I've done NBME 1, a long time ago, lol. No wonder I dont even remember the questions.
What % did you get right? I had gotten 70% right. Got that particular question wrong!

Hah, yea they are really old! I'm just doing them for "fun", haven't been grading them or timing myself!

A or D?

I would think D. For DNase to negate the antibiotic resistance the DNA would need to be in the extracellular environment. I would think the bacteria would die and lyse then release DNA that the other bacteria could uptake; that uptake would be inhibited in the presence of a DNase.

Just opened my score report after putting it off all day during my clerkship due to being filled with dread - hopefully my experience serves as some encouragement for those who didn't score too hot on practice tests!

Baseline CBSE (12/2016): 60, which correlates to 175
NBME 15 (3 weeks out): 221 with 35 incorrects
NBME 19 (10 days out): 223 with 30 incorrects
UWorld (1st pass, timed, random): 71%
I finished all but 4 blocks of UWorld; I only did one pass and did not review incorrects. I started with scores in the 40s and by the last couple of weeks was scoring around an average of 78% with a range of 68% - 90%.

Actual Score (4/6/2017): 242

I did USMLERx casually for about six months before dedicated and finished about 50% of the question bank; I also did one pass of FA and Pathoma before dedicated. Dedicated was 5 weeks long for me, during which I did the majority of UWorld, went through two additional passes of both FA and Pathoma, and listened to all of the Goljan lectures once. I didn't take any other NBMEs or any UWorld Assessments because after NBME 15 and especially after NBME 19, I realized that practice tests were only severely stressing me out since I wasn't meeting my expectations. At that point during dedicated, I decided that having a positive mindset was more important than what I could gain by doing additional tests - so I just stuck with UWorld and did as much as I could until the day before my exam.

I thought my actual test felt almost exactly like doing 7 blocks of UWorld, and I was weirdly very relaxed during it (like 100x more relaxed than when I was doing NBMEs) because I was just ready for it to be over and to experience fun again. My test was fair, with a healthy dose of both gimmies and WTF questions (don't let these stress you out; just guess and move on). In my opinion, I think doing UWorld in timed, random blocks was the most helpful because one of the hardest aspects of this exam (at least for me) is the constant recall of random information, especially information that I reviewed weeks ago. Pathoma is a must - I can remember at least several questions off the top of my head that were ONLY in Pathoma, so I was really glad I did that 3x. FA was used mostly as a checklist rather than for rote memorization, and Goljan was very fun to listen to and really good for morale. I also used Sketchy Micro during the school year and Sketchy Pharm during dedicated as needed.

Hope this helps someone, and I'm happy to answer any questions!

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 users
Just opened my score report after putting it off all day during my clerkship due to being filled with dread - hopefully my experience serves as some encouragement for those who didn't score too hot on practice tests!

I finished all but 4 blocks of UWorld; I only did one pass and did not review incorrects. I started with scores in the 40s and by the last couple of weeks was scoring around an average of 78% with a range of 68% - 90%.

I did USMLERx casually for about six months before dedicated and finished about 50% of the question bank; I also did one pass of FA and Pathoma before dedicated. Dedicated was 5 weeks long for me, during which I did the majority of UWorld, went through two additional passes of both FA and Pathoma, and listened to all of the Goljan lectures once. I didn't take any other NBMEs or any UWorld Assessments because after NBME 15 and especially after NBME 19, I realized that practice tests were only severely stressing me out since I wasn't meeting my expectations. At that point during dedicated, I decided that having a positive mindset was more important than what I could gain by doing additional tests - so I just stuck with UWorld and did as much as I could until the day before my exam.

I thought my actual test felt almost exactly like doing 7 blocks of UWorld, and I was weirdly very relaxed during it (like 100x more relaxed than when I was doing NBMEs) because I was just ready for it to be over and to experience fun again. My test was fair, with a healthy dose of both gimmies and WTF questions (don't let these stress you out; just guess and move on). In my opinion, I think doing UWorld in timed, random blocks was the most helpful because one of the hardest aspects of this exam (at least for me) is the constant recall of random information, especially information that I reviewed weeks ago. Pathoma is a must - I can remember at least several questions off the top of my head that were ONLY in Pathoma, so I was really glad I did that 3x. FA was used mostly as a checklist rather than for rote memorization, and Goljan was very fun to listen to and really good for morale. I also used Sketchy Micro during the school year and Sketchy Pharm during dedicated as needed.

This gives me a lot of hope. Thank you. I feel like I'll be 220s 3 weeks out so it's good to know that you can boost 20 points in 3 weeks.

This gives me a lot of hope. Thank you. I feel like I'll be 220s 3 weeks out so it's good to know that you can boost 20 points in 3 weeks.

I'm glad! You can do it!!! Forget about predictive values and score increase limits because at the end of the day, anything can happen and it's most important to go into the test with confidence and a clear mind IMO. Best of luck!!

I'm glad! You can do it!!! Forget about predictive values and score increase limits because at the end of the day, anything can happen and it's most important to go into the test with confidence and a clear mind IMO. Best of luck!!
Thanks and for sure. My friend scored only 10 points higher than me due to taking my first practice exam a week earlier. Then he jumped 30+ points to put him at a 240 after just 3 weeks.

Awesome! Thanks for this!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I needed this today, thanks and congrats!!!

Congrats! Are most people scoring higher compared to their practice NBMEs or are most people who are scoring higher posting? lol

By the way, is the new test with changes supposed to be anything we need to be concerned about? TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So i unlocked a major key here: on breaks go for a walk, and do anki cards of bro deck = epic