***Official 2017 Orthodontic Interviews/Match/Non-Match Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think that the reason no one is posting where they matched to is because we all realize that there is a lot of luck involved in this whole process. I felt lucky to match my first time applying, especially after meeting all the great applicants during interviews. Anyways, here we go...

Name of Ortho School: Iowa
Dental School Attended: Utah
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2017
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: None
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I/II scores: Pass/Pass
GRE Score: 160 V/ 157 QR/ 4.0 W (No ADAT)
Class Rank: 1st (3.99 GPA)
Match/Non-Match: Match Only
Externship(s)/where: None
Research: 2 Projects but nothing published.
Extracurriculars: Proctor/Foster care for troubled youth, Intramural Sports, Lots of Service, Humanitarian trip, Created Advanced Orthodontics Elective Course, Great Letters of Recommendation.
# of Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 41/11/10/10

If anyone has any questions about applying, just PM me. I will try my best to answer them.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I think that the reason no one is posting where they matched to is because we all realize that there is a lot of luck involved in this whole process. I felt lucky to match my first time applying, especially after meeting all the great applicants during interviews. Anyways, here we go...

Name of Ortho School: Iowa
Dental School Attended: Utah
GRE Score: 160 V/ 157 QR/ 4.0 W (No ADAT)
Class Rank: 1st (3.99 GPA)
Match/Non-Match: Match Only
Research: 2 Projects but nothing published.
Extracurriculars: Proctor/Foster care for troubled youth, Intramural Sports, Lots of Service, Humanitarian trip, Created Advanced Orthodontics Elective Course, Great Letters of Recommendation.
# of Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 41/11/10/10

If anyone has any questions about applying, just PM me. I will try my best to answer them.

Congrats dude. This is not luck, you earned this. You are number one in your class. Congrats again.

Reactions: 1 user
Name of Ortho School: NY school
Dental School Attended: CA school
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: no
International Student (yes/no): no
NBDE Part I/II scores: P/P
ADAT Score: did not take
GRE Score: 169V/168Q/4.5W
Class Rank: my school did not rank, probably top 5-10%
Match/Non-Match: 1 non-match, rest were match
Externship(s)/where: 3 in CA, 2 in NY
Research: a couple of projects in dental school with poster presentations, no publications
Extracurriculars: community service, teaching/tutoring, the usual
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 10/5/5/5

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome news, congrats!! What was your GPA if you don't mind posting? Also, what makes you say that the ADAT will be required next cycle? I was under the impression it may still only be required at some programs but not all.

GPA was 3.3, but like someone else said, rank was asked about more often. Based on how arbitrary/subjective my school was with GPA & rank, I didn't really like how much emphasis was put on it by the programs.. But I suppose there's only so much they can assess you by.

I 100% agree on the part that there is a LOT of luck and randomness in this whole process. One thing I've definitely found constant though is- rank is by and large the biggest predictor in interview invites. Be in the top 10%, and you are at least guaranteed several interviews.. you may not have the personality (or tbh simple luck) during the interview process, but a stellar rank at least gets you in the door (see Wiredtrix above). I assume and hope high ADAT scores will do the same in the future.

[edited see below] Also, I may be incorrect but both from what I've read and from the few program directors I've spoken with this past cycle stated that for this cycle the ADAT was optional, but all programs will require it next cycle. However based on the many differences in all the programs (pass, not pass, not match, match, etc), I wouldn't put it past some schools to not require it. YMMV.

Edit: Just spoke with a director, I guess the verdict is still out whether or not the ADAT will be just recommended or if it will be required. She said they may stay optional for programs requiring the GRE, or if ADAT is required they may waive the GRE. What she did say is you may find more programs becoming "match-only" schools (like Iowa & some others).
-seems like pushback against non-match programs

Last edited:
So GRE and ADAT? That's excessive... they need to get rid of the GRE before making the ADAT required.

GPA was 3.3, but like someone else said, rank was asked about more often. Based on how arbitrary/subjective my school was with GPA & rank, I didn't really like how much emphasis was put on it by the programs.. But I suppose there's only so much they can assess you by.

I 100% agree on the part that there is a LOT of luck and randomness in this whole process. One thing I've definitely found constant though is- rank is by and large the biggest predictor in interview invites. Be in the top 10%, and you are at least guaranteed several interviews.. you may not have the personality (or tbh simple luck) during the interview process, but a stellar rank at least gets you in the door. I assume and hope high ADAT scores will do the same in the future.

Also, I may be incorrect but both from what I've read and from the few program directors I've spoken with this past cycle stated that for this cycle the ADAT was optional, but all programs will require it next cycle. However based on the many differences in all the programs (pass, not pass, not match, match, etc), I wouldn't put it past some schools to not require

Last edited:
I found this information helpful from previous years so here is some of my info-- trying to maintain some privacy like some of the other posts.
Name of Ortho School: Non-match School
Dental School Attended: UPenn
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2014
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: no, 2+ years practicing USAF
ADAT Score: Thankfully I slipped through this year and didn't HAVE to take it. The test definitely will make it more difficult for people like me who have been practicing. I haven't taken biochem in 6 years.
GRE Score: 160V/155Q/4W
Class Rank: my school did not rank past top 10. I have no idea where I would have ranked in my class. GPA 3.68
Match/Non-Match: 2 non-match, 25 match
Externship(s)/where: none, 1 week introductory style Navy ortho course (not that that helped me get in or anything but it was a good course)
Research: None. I should have while in dental school. Long story why I didn't which I wont get into here. I think not having research closed a lot of doors.
Extracurriculars: the usual... plenty of leadership stuff, lots of community service, humanitarian mission trip.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 27/4/1/ accepted non-match position and dropped out of match before the rest of my interviews. Respectfully withdrew from my remaining interviews. I really wanted to interview at the other places but since I only had 3 other interviews (1 being a courtesy interview from my dental school), I didn't want to roll the dice by passing up a guarantee acceptance. I was very impressed with the ortho program I am going to and could not be happier.

I think having work experience helped me get in to the program I was accepted to. I think it probably hurt with some other programs which prefer people fresh out of dental school. Also fyi I applied to only 24-30 month programs. At my age I wanted to get through as soon as possible so I had to draw the line somewhere.

Last edited:
Name of Ortho School: Marquette
Dental School Attended: UIC
NBDE Part I/II scores: P/P (though I had not taken Part II at the time of applications)
ADAT Score: 570 (87th percentile)
GRE Score: 155 V /159 QR / 5.o W
Class Rank: 4th (3.95 GPA)
Match/Non-Match: Applied to match schools only (some schools I applied to required this, and I was not interested in any non-match schools)
Externship(s)/where: Home school, observation East coast school
Research: Helped w/ lit review going into dental school (non-ortho related), did my own ortho project in dental school (won an award), no publications
Extracurriculars: Leadership roles, ortho elective course, TAing, volunteer work, athletics
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 9/8/7/7 (one conflict)

I received more invites than I expected, and I am not quite sure what made me stand out. I do believe I had a strong personal statement and letters of rec (I got to read just one of them, but had people with respectable titles who knew me well write them). As you can see, my GRE scores were not spectacular, aside for writing. I think if you have a strong enough application otherwise, the GRE does not play a large role in getting interview invites. I think you're expected to score in the upper 50th percentile..

As for the ADAT, I just studied for NBDE II w/ Dental Decks and hoped this would be sufficient. I would say the exam tests critical thinking most (as opposed to just facts), and if you did your studying in dental school you will be OK. I did not review Part I material. I struggled with the research section since I had never taken a stats class and had little research experience..

If you have any questions, I am more than happy to help!

Last edited:
Name of Ortho School: 2-yr Midwest
Dental School Attended: Midwest
ADAT Score: 570 (87th percentile)
GRE Score: 155 V /159 QR / 5.o W
Class Rank: 4th (3.95 GPA)
Match/Non-Match: Applied to match schools only (some schools I applied to required this, and I was not interested in any non-match schools)
Externship(s)/where: Home school, observation East coast school
Research: Helped w/ lit review going into dental school (non-ortho related), did my own mini ortho project in dental school (won an award), no publications
Extracurriculars: Leadership roles, ortho elective course, TAing, volunteer work, athletics
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 9/8/7/7 (one conflict)

I received more invites than I expected, and I am not quite sure what made me stand out. I do believe I had a strong personal statement and letters of rec (I got to read just one of them but had people who knew me well write them). As you can see, my GRE scores were not spectacular - I think if you have a strong enough application otherwise, the GRE does not play a large role in getting interview invites. I think you're expected to score in the upper 50th percentile..

As for the ADAT, I just studied for NBDE II w/ Dental Decks and hoped this would be sufficient. I would say the exam tests critical thinking most (as opposed to just facts), and if you did your studying in dental school you will be OK. I did not review Part I material. I struggled with the research section since I had never taken a stats class and had little research experience..

If you have any questions, I am more than happy to help!

How many of the schools required or at least would accept your ADAT scores that you applied to? And did you take which schools look for ADAT scores into account when deciding which schools to apply to?

Hey ElixirB,

How did you prep for the GRE? I used Kaplan and only did very average.. you killed it!

Hi Toothacher1, it's been a couple years since I took it, but I remember using both the Kaplan & Princeton Review books, along with Barron's "most common gre words" when I was traveling or had nothing else to do. For the writing portion, I know I most had to improve on my timing and going back to a simplistic writing style. I think it was the actual GRE website that had a full list of all the different essay questions.. I chose random ones & timed myself making bullet points of my intro/arguments, and timed myself doing 10-15 full essays. Upset I didn't get a 5 but ce la vie.

How many of the schools required or at least would accept your ADAT scores that you applied to? And did you take which schools look for ADAT scores into account when deciding which schools to apply to?

I think 5 schools in general required it this year and most of the applicants I met on the interview trail didn't apply to schools requiring the ADAT because it was an extra test to take and they weren't sure how they would perform. I ended up doing well but I don't think schools placed a lot of weight on it, if at all. I'm sure it was also a way to weed out applicants not serious about attending the school. In my opinion, it was probably easier to get into those programs this year because less people ended up applying to them. So keep that in mind for next year if only a few require it again... I applied to two that required the ADAT and I took it because one was my home school. The rest did not accept it.

Last edited:
Did anyone apply to the new ortho program in Atlanta? If so, did you find it easy to be pre-approved for the private student loans with existing dental school debt?

Last edited:
Did anyone apply to the new ortho program in Atlanta? If so, did you find it easy to be pre-approved for the private student loans with existing dental school debt?

I applied for the MedCAP through Wells Fargo and got denied. They said I have over 250k in student loans and that disqualified me. Maybe its a sign not to apply, I thought about it for a very long time, I do not want to be 650K in debt after all said and done. I have 320K from dental school + 300K for 3 years. I'm straight, I would rather wait until next cycle and try my luck again and hopefully get into a cheaper school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with you. I'm waiting for next cycle as well. They told me to apply there for a loan and I got denied for the same reason. I was just curious if anyone was actually able to get a private loan with all the debt from dental school. It seems like a legitimate program but so hard to complete the application. Good luck next cycle!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I applied for the MedCAP through Wells Fargo and got denied. They said I have over 250k in student loans and that disqualified me. Maybe its a sign not to apply, I thought about it for a very long time, I do not want to be 650K in debt after all said and done. I have 320K from dental school + 300K for 3 years. I'm straight, I would rather wait until next cycle and try my luck again and hopefully get into a cheaper school.

Hmmm you made it seem like you had a choice to pick between going into more debt for ortho or waiting another year. But you applied and got denied the loan. I don't know what you thought about for a very long time because it seems to me you don't have a choice but to wait until next year.

Hmmm you made it seem like you had a choice to pick between going into more debt for ortho or waiting another year. But you applied and got denied the loan. I don't know what you thought about for a very long time because it seems to me you don't have a choice but to wait until next year.

2 things

1. There are more than one bank offering student loans. After being denied from Wells Fargo, I realized it was not worth it and did not pursue other banks.

2. It was just a "pre-approval" even if I were to get accepted it did not mean I was going. I was planning on completing my Atlanta application and reassessing whether or not it was worth it.

An inside source has told me that Roseman has reserved 3 spots available for post-match. US grads only though, Nevada doesn’t allow foreign grads to get a license.

An inside source has told me that Roseman has reserved 3 spots available for post-match. US grads only though, Nevada doesn’t allow foreign grads to get a license.
How does one apply to post match programs? Also, how would one know if the spots were available?

I know I found it helpful to see the resumes and advice of people who Matched in previous cycles so I’ll give back to SDN:

Name of Ortho School: Midwest Match Program
Dental School Attended: Different midwest School
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: No
GRE Score: V: 160 Q: 161 W: 4.5
ADAT: Overall 540 - 74th percentile (CRT: 550 BIO: 500 CLI: 660 Research: 480 PtMg: 470)
Class Rank: 13/108 (3.84 GPA)
Match/Non-Match: Exclusively Match
Externship(s)/where: 1 week Mayo Clinic clerkship. 1 day observations at 3 other programs other than my home school (interview invites to each one)
Research: Published from undergrad plant research. Research in dental school, not published but abstract presented at IADR/AADR
Extracurriculars: The usual - leadership roles, ortho involvement, community service, etc.
# of Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 16/8/8/8

I was very nervous of how many invites I would receive being outside of the top 10 in my class but was pleasantly surprised to receive 8 invites to respectable programs. I took the ADAT to open the door to apply to certain schools and do not regret doing so. I don’t believe the score itself, same for GRE, played a very big role in receiving interviews.

I believe having some sort of orthodontic involvement (orthodontic club, TA, seeing an ortho patient, working in an orthodontic office) is very helpful but I know it’s hard to come by at some schools. Having strong LORs is invaluable so really put in thought of who to ask.

I feel very lucky to have Matched this cycle and am more than happy to answer any questions for future applicants. Best of luck and enjoy the ride 2018 cycle!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Are the two NYU post match spots typically for those who interviewed and didn't match? Or is it possible that someone who didn't interview there could get it?

How does one apply to post match programs? Also, how would one know if the spots were available?
I think you would just email the programs and ask if they have any positions available post-match. In the case of Roseman and their spots, email [email protected]

Update: We (residents) just got an increase in our yearly stipend from $12K to $20K. Our health insurance is included too! :)

Last edited:
Check when the program's application process closes. GSO (Atlanta) is one school that accepts their class post match each year. Apply online or contact them at [email protected]

thank you StudentDoctor- paying it forward.

Name of Ortho School: non-match program
Dental School Attended: Northeast school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2010
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: GPR/fellowship (not ortho)
NBDE Part I/II scores: 84/81
GRE Score: did not take
Class Rank: below 50%
Match/Non-Match: 2 non-match, rest were match
Externship(s)/where: none
Research: small research presentations/ publication in non-ortho journal
Extracurriculars: community service- leadership positions, dental mission trips
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 18/3/2/0 (accepted non match)

*So grateful that I got in. This was my first year applying. I'm a nontraditional applicant with very mediocre grades. I became interested in ortho last year. Many of you may wonder how I got in? I have no ortho connections. I made sure my essay was well written and asked people who truly believed in me and knew me for recommendation letters. Also, try to find ways to make your application stand out because most applying have very impressive stats, etc. Your first goal is to get an interview. Once there, they just want to get to know you as a person.

Wish you guys the best. feel free to message me if you have any questions.

I think you would just email the programs and ask if they have any positions available post-match. In the case of Roseman and their spots, email [email protected]

Update: We (residents) just got an increase in our yearly stipend from $12K to $20K. Our health insurance is included too! :)
How does the stipend work ? Do get that on top of the cost of living ? 12k doesnt seem like alot to live off of !

Check when the program's application process closes. GSO (Atlanta) is one school that accepts their class post match each year. Apply online or contact them at [email protected]

Do you or anybody know if GSO already accepted their students for Class of 2020? I applied a little late to their program and havent heard anything.

paying it forward since SDN was of great help.

Name of Ortho School: non-match program
Dental School Attended: cali dental school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2015
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: -
NBDE Part I/II scores: p/p
GRE Score: 155/158/4.5
Class Rank: -
Match/Non-Match:
Externship(s)/where:
Research: research- some participation
Extracurriculars: community service- leadership positions, dental mission trips,
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 28/3/2/0 (accepted non match)

Dear Friends I would like to know more about the social before an interview date. As I am a foreign trained dentist and I never had an opportunity to attend a social, hence I am quite curious about it. please share your experience and let me know what are dos and don'ts
thank you.!!

Name of Ortho School: southern school
Dental School Attended: same school
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: no
NBDE Part I/II scores: pass/pass
GRE Score: 167/167, 5
Class Rank: 12/80 (but school sent incorrect ranking of 16th - so I think I applied as 16/80?)
Match/Non-Match: match only because of those silly signed forms
Externship(s)/where: 3 - did not get interviews there
Research: some in undergrad, small dental project this past summer - underclassmen presenting paper/poster
Extracurriculars: all the usual dental clubs/leadership, dental mission trip, peer tutor, etc
# of Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 16/2/2/2

Dear Friends I would like to know more about the social before an interview date. As I am a foreign trained dentist and I never had an opportunity to attend a social, hence I am quite curious about it. please share your experience and let me know what are dos and don'ts
thank you.!!

A social is your first time meeting and getting to know the residents of the program before your 'official' interview the next day. From my experiences, it is very casual, and you basically have the opportunity to ask any questions about the program, faculty, location, learning environment, etc. Usually it's at the school, a restaurant, or a bar.

For the dos and don'ts- remember, the "interview" starts with your first contact with the program or residents.
-First off, DO go to it, in most programs the residents have some form of input of the applicants, and not showing up to the social conveys the message that you don't care about being a team player and that you only care about the residency, not the people.
-DO pay attention to dress attire - they will usually send you an email if they prefer casual, business casual, etc.
-DO use it as an opportunity to get to know the residents - ask questions, keep it professional, have a smile on your face, be polite.
-DON'T drink too much, bad-mouth other programs or other applicants, get into arguments with the residents, bring up controversial topics, etc

Name of Ortho School: Louisville
Dental School Attended: Michigan
GRE Score: 165 V/ 163 QR/ 4.5 W
ADAT: 570, 87th percentile
Class Rank: 6th (3.94 GPA)
Match/Non-Match: Match (But applied to non-match)
Research: 1 Assistantship on ortho-related research, 1 Project in clinical research but nothing published
Extracurriculars: ASDA, Nutrition Related Club, Dance Teacher, Worked as graphic designer during dental school
# of Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 15/9/8/6

Hi Guys, I have completed the application process during the cycle 2017-2018. I have matched at Tufts Ortho, which was my #1 choice, and I am starting this oncoming july! I have collected a lot of valuable information and I thought I would share my experience and knowledge. I have compiled a series of videos, which I have posted on my professional instagram account @sarahnaondmd to help you with the post-graduate application, check it out. Hope you take advantage of it and fill free to reach out. I will keep on posting videos.

Verbatim from what I got last year.

Side note for everyone watching this thread:
If I've learned anything in the past couple years applying it's to not lose any sleep over this. Obviously you need to work hard and do your best to earn a spot somewhere, but don't beat yourself up over it. I've learned a lot about myself in the last couple years that I'm very thankful for. Have a plan B in mind - the reality is that not all of us applicants will get a position somewhere. That doesn't have to be the end of the line though; if ortho is where you want to be then you'll get there.

Sorry to be the Debbie Downer - I just want to help you guys/gals avoid the disappointment and depression that I felt after my first app cycle. I got lucky and got in to an AEGD program - but I should have had a backup in mind from the start.
Totally random question but how do you have a back up in mind when you applying to a speciality? Do you put in applications for GPRs and AEGDs while applying to specialities just in case you don't get in? I have always wondered about this.