***Official 2017 Orthodontic Interviews/Match/Non-Match Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Comparing this thread to the one from last year it seems like a few schools are running a few weeks behind.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So it seems. Hopefully we will hear soon

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody applied for one yer in Jacksonville ...please

Got a rejection email from Colorado today.

I just got the invitation for interview for Buffalo today !!!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else have interviews scheduled for Halloween? I'm excited to see who is going to be interviewing me :p

Colorado sent out their initial invites on Tuesday - I know at least one of my classmates got an offer. Depending on if anyone denies their acceptance, they may send out more invites.

Colorado sent out their initial invites on Tuesday - I know at least one of my classmates got an offer. Depending on if anyone denies their acceptance, they may send out more invites.

I'm guessing in years past they usually do send out more invites? Or am I completely wrong. Thanks

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing in years past they usually do send out more invites? Or am I completely wrong. Thanks
I got this message on Thursday that I was not part of their initial invitees and that I would be kept on list of future consideration if openings were to arise. I guess it seems that between Tuesday (when initial invites went out) and Thursday when I got that rejection letter, that all of the spots had been taken? Or maybe they are still waiting for final responses for applicants?

I got this message on Thursday that I was not part of their initial invitees and that I would be kept on list of future consideration if openings were to arise. I guess it seems that between Tuesday (when initial invites went out) and Thursday when I got that rejection letter, that all of the spots had been taken? Or maybe they are still waiting for final responses for applicants?

Two years ago they had a spot open up on Dec 8th - a friend of mine got it. Don't lose hope!

Well higher is always better. A good score is probably in the 160's for reading comp and quantitative, and higher than a 4 on the essays.

Generally they're looking for >50th percentile from what I understand. That would be about 150-152 and a 3.5-4 on writing. It depends obviously on the cohort you take the test with but that should be about right.

Generally they're looking for >50th percentile from what I understand. That would be about 150-152 and a 3.5-4 on writing. It depends obviously on the cohort you take the test with but that should be about right.

I got a 150 math/151 verbal/3.5 writing, which is < 50th percentile. But I got interviews. Once you're at the interview, the other stuff doesn't matter, like GRE score. I think my GRE score definitely deterred some programs from interviewing me. But programs that just offer a certificate or programs that say the GRE is recommended but not required - I honestly think they don't care about your GRE score

how important is class rank really? is it top 10? top 5? top 20?

What time do results come out on Nov. 30th?

Did you apply through "pass"?

PASS is a separate service from Match. There are programs that use PASS but don't participate in Match as well as ones that don't use PASS but still participate in Match.

I'm not sure what your question is... I used PASS for most programs but not all of them in my list.

It's been quiet around here...

Don't forget to get your Ortho match choices in by Friday November 18th at 12:59pm (TOMORROW!!!)

Posted with SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys, I was wondering if there have been any applicants that have heard back with lower stats. I am talking 3.0 gpa range. Is it even worth applying? When does the new application start and can a good gre or ADAT score offset gpa/rank? And for the next cycle do you have to take ADAT or GRE or both

Hi guys, I was wondering if there have been any applicants that have heard back with lower stats. I am talking 3.0 gpa range. Is it even worth applying? When does the new application start and can a good gre or ADAT score offset gpa/rank? And for the next cycle do you have to take ADAT or GRE or both

Hi
I have somewhat similar question

Can someone plz explain hoe the whole application works? When does the application period start? How does match and pass work. Thank you

Has anyone received official acceptance letters from the program that they matched to?

First of all congrats to all who matched! Unfortunately I was not one of those. Didn't match with any of my programs. Crazy how things work out.... but now I have absolutely no idea what to do... which direction to go? So I'm hoping people can share their plan B's or current residents can throw out some recommendations. I would appreciate it all. I know Ortho is what I want to do, so I'm going to keep trying. Please let me know and thank you in advance.

First of all congrats to all who matched! Unfortunately I was not one of those. Didn't match with any of my programs. Crazy how things work out.... but now I have absolutely no idea what to do... which direction to go? So I'm hoping people can share their plan B's or current residents can throw out some recommendations. I would appreciate it all. I know Ortho is what I want to do, so I'm going to keep trying. Please let me know and thank you in advance.

I'm sorry you didn't match. I know the feeling very well. I don't have an advice, but wanted to ask how many schools did u apply to/interview/rank? Were your board scores pass or a "grade"?

I'm sorry you didn't match. I know the feeling very well. I don't have an advice, but wanted to ask how many schools did u apply to/interview/rank? Were your board scores pass or a "grade"?

@xoxodental you don't need to answer that - I know how you're feeling right now

@onza - be considerate. Also - if you think it's just a numbers game to get in to ortho then you're in for an unpleasant surprise.

@xoxodental you don't need to answer that - I know how you're feeling right now

@onza - be considerate. Also - if you think it's just a numbers game to get in to ortho then you're in for an unpleasant surprise.

Xoxodental - I'm sorry. I did not intend to be incentive. My sencere apologize

Bender-i dont think it's a number game. Just asked a question. ...unfortunately, in at a wrong time....my bad. However, there is no reason for u to berate me.

For those that applied to match and non match schools, did you tell the match schools that you had applied to non match schools if they asked you? If yes, do you think this hurt your chances of getting in to that school? Or do most students choose to only apply to match schools for this reason? Thanks!

Some programs (i.e.; Kentucky , Iowa, etc) make you sign an agreement that states you agree to only apply to match programs if you choose to apply to their progrAm. You can do with that what you choose. I heard some people signed it this year and still interviewed at non-match.

I would advise against it. You never know who talks in this small ortho world.

Has anyone received official acceptance letters from the program that they matched to?
@SchwarzKorkhaus I haven't heard anything official other than from MATCH. I take it you haven't either?
Congrats on your matches! Do you guys mind posting your stats? It seems to be a dying trend the past couple of years, but it is very helpful for future applicants!

Name of Ortho School:
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency:
International Student (yes/no):
NBDE Part I/II scores:
GRE Score:
Class Rank:
Match/Non-Match:
Externship(s)/where:
Research:
Extracurriculars:
# of Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked:

I suppose I'll start us off. Beyond excited to be joining this awesome field. Using a throwaway to maintain some level of privacy.

Name of Ortho School: NY hospital
Dental School Attended: west coast school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2014
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: none, practice
International Student (yes/no): no
NBDE Part I/II scores: P/P
ADAT Score: did not take
GRE Score: 168v, 160qr, 4.5
Class Rank: just better than top 1/2; generally unimpressive
Match/Non-Match: applied to both; matched
Externship(s)/where: no
Research: multiple posters & presentations including undergrad, dent school, & part time after post-grad; no publications at the time of applying
Extracurriculars: heavy volunteering, too many events to list, other general leadership roles in dent school & undergrad
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 35/2/2/2

This was my second time applying; last year applied to ~15 and only got a courtesy interview at my dent school. I have been interested in ortho since my last quarter of dental school, but I knew I was not competitive enough on paper during and right after school so I did not apply. Now after several years with GP experience, I felt more than qualified during my interviews, especially compared to those still in school or fresh out.

My recommendation for those who did not match is to focus on finding ways to make you more competitive, especially on paper. I worked my ass off doing full time GP + research part time, nailed GRE, exceptional LORs, etc, and I still only got 2 interviews because of my rank. Once you get past the auto-reject computer/secretary/door to the interviews, then it can be your time to shine. At least now with the ADAT being required next cycle, yes it sucks to take another exam, but at least there is another opportunity to stand out.

I still say the most reliable route into ortho is to join a strong fellowship where you get clinical and didactic experience near the level of a PGY-1 (like JU).. now whether that's worth the time and expense is up to you.

Last edited:
I suppose I'll start us off. Beyond excited to be joining this awesome field. Using a throwaway to maintain some level of privacy.

Name of Ortho School: NY hospital
Dental School Attended: west coast school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2014
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: none, practice
International Student (yes/no): no
NBDE Part I/II scores: P/P
ADAT Score: did not take
GRE Score: 168v, 160qr, 4.5
Class Rank: just better than top 1/2; generally unimpressive
Match/Non-Match: match
Externship(s)/where: no
Research: multiple posters & presentations including undergrad, dent school, & part time after post-grad; no publications at the time of applying
Extracurriculars: heavy volunteering, too many events to list, other general leadership roles in dent school & undergrad
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 35/2/2/2

This was my second time applying; last year applied to ~15 and only got a courtesy interview at my dent school. I have been interested in ortho since my last quarter of dental school, but I knew I was not competitive enough on paper during and right after school so I did not apply. Now after several years with GP experience, I felt more than qualified during my interviews, especially compared to those still in school or fresh out.

My recommendation for those who did not match is to focus on finding ways to make you more competitive, especially on paper. I worked my ass off doing full time GP + research part time, nailed GRE, exceptional LORs, etc, and I still only got 2 interviews because of my rank. Once you get past the auto-reject computer/secretary/door to the interviews, then it can be your time to shine. At least now with the ADAT being required next cycle, yes it sucks to take another exam, but at least there is another opportunity to stand out.

I still say the most reliable route into ortho is to join a strong fellowship where you get clinical and didactic experience near the level of a PGY-1 (like JU).. now whether that's worth the time and expense is up to you.
Awesome news, congrats!! What was your GPA if you don't mind posting? Also, what makes you say that the ADAT will be required next cycle? I was under the impression it may still only be required at some programs but not all.

Congrats on your matches! Do you guys mind posting your stats? It seems to be a dying trend the past couple of years, but it is very helpful for future applicants!

Name of Ortho School:
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency:
International Student (yes/no):
NBDE Part I/II scores:
GPA:
GRE Score:
Class Rank:
Match/Non-Match:
Externship(s)/where:
Research:
Extracurriculars:
# of Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked:
Any chance we can post GPA's?

I have a friend at Colorado who tells me they have 1 open orthodontic residency position that they are looking to fill. Just saying...