Official 2013 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
Removed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figure now is a good time to jump-start this thread.

Even though some of us who had taken the exam in late-2012 are still awaiting our scores (amid the holiday delays) and could technically still post within last year's thread, it is after all mid-January now, so it's probably apposite that we move forward and hope for a great year.

:luck: Cheers to 2013 :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

i'll be doing it in Los Angeles :). I am going to take the afternoon session cause my brain only turns on by like 11 am (i study long hours into the night..up untill 3-4 am some days). I havent taken any standardized testing in a settting like this, so i want to get used the procedures and not be anxious doing them for the first time on real test day. How well do these questions correlate to the real performance?
That's exactly the reason I took it (for Step 2 CK).
The questions are much easier than the real thing so not much correlation but only helps to "test the waters".

Hi everyone,

I did NBME 7 today, got 210...
My exam is first week of october.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should start at the beginning of this thread and start reading. You will start to notice some key patterns for the people who consistently scored 250+. I already formulated my future study strategy, based on the excellent reports provided.
So you want him to spend rest of the time before the test (about 1 wk) reading 105 pages of this thread and formulate a strategy ? :confused:

TR murmurs are best heard at the (lower) left sternal border and classically don't radiate. However, if the murmur does radiate (likely in more advanced TR), the turbulent blood flow (radiation) will be best heard at the right sternal border. In other words, both resources are correct. As far as Step 1 is concerned, TR murmurs are best heard at the lower left sternal border.

exam is october 7th

done first aid, goljan, some pathoma...UW, and redid in corrects

just going thru first aid again now

Given that someone does in fact do UW to get experience with the logic and timing, I think the single best thing anyone can do to reach 230 territory is hammering first aid. In 10 days, you can make a very thorough pass of FA, and that's what I'd recommend

Given that someone does in fact do UW to get experience with the logic and timing, I think the single best thing anyone can do to reach 230 territory is hammering first aid. In 10 days, you can make a very thorough pass of FA, and that's what I'd recommend

thanks so much for our input, i really appreciate it!!!
:oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ideally he should have had a strategy LONG before he even began studying for USMLE. Asking how to study for this exam a few weeks out sounds like insta-death to me.

Do people seriously think 6 weeks is enough to review 2 years of materials? :laugh:

really

Last edited:
also, SHANAYZAY

no one wants any advice from a pre-med, go get a life, why are you even on this forum?

six weeks is enough for people who do WELL in the first two year.

Last edited:
Ideally he should have had a strategy LONG before he even began studying for USMLE. Asking how to study for this exam a few weeks out sounds like insta-death to me.

Do people seriously think 6 weeks is enough to review 2 years of materials? :laugh:

You haven't even started med school. Nothing from you is valuable to anyone in this thread

Shjanzey said:
The only advice I ever offered on this forum was for someone to go back and look at what others who were successful have already shared. If that is invaluable, then you are so right, therefore I must defer to your expertise, since you have a whole 2 years more experience than me your majesty.

That is the only advice you offered, and it was bad advice. Good batting average. 10 days prior to test is not the time to sift through over 5000 posts. Two years of med school plus taking step is about as much experience as one can get in step prep without making a job of it, so yeah, relative to zero relevant experience, the difference is fairly substantial

I am on this forum, because I am already planning my strategy for Step I. I am doing research so that I don't have to ask for advice at the last second. I am setting my 6 weeks going into Step I aside for fine tuning, not relearning.

The only advice I ever offered on this forum was for someone to go back and look at what others who were successful have already shared. If that is invaluable, then you are so right, therefore I must defer to your expertise, since you have a whole 2 years more experience than me your majesty.

I'm not doing medicine to be a charity case, neither are you. Anyone who says they don't want to be payed for their work is a liar.

classy. Who is the one projecting insecurities again?

Hey, why don't you wait until after you actually take step 1 before you offer advice on how to take it?

I agree with this. Forget uw at this point, do one last pass of first aid and maybe do one chapter of pathoma a day.

How about we keep this particular thread on topic? It's annoying to check it every time only to find everything but what's advertised.

Shjanzey said:
If that is invaluable, then you are so right, therefore I must defer to your expertise, since you have a whole 2 years more experience than me your majesty.

Shjanzey said:
Isn't that the point? Medical school IS your job. What else do you have to do?

Yeah... is your goal to be abrasive or to argue a consistent point? Because the latter isn't happening.

Shjanzey said:
The first two years only exist to prep you for Step I.

:laugh:

10 days prior isn't the time to ask how to get over 210 either.

10 days out is a fine time to ask for advice, regardless of whether you're currently sitting at a 190 or a 230. I asked for advice at about (maybe exactly?) 10 days out, and I had done some step prep since spring of 1st year and planned out a day to day schedule for dedicated. Plans change, regardless of your preparation

Yeah... is your goal to be abrasive or to argue a consistent point? Because the latter isn't happening.

:laugh:

10 days out is a fine time to ask for advice, regardless of whether you're currently sitting at a 190 or a 230. I asked for advice at about (maybe exactly?) 10 days out, and I had done some step prep since spring of 1st year and planned out a day to day schedule for dedicated. Plans change, regardless of your preparation

I just reread sham jays posts and realized he hasn't even started medical school yet.

All I have to say is WOW. This forum is here for help. It doesn't matter if your goal is a 188, 227, or 275. We are here for help, even if a person has one day left til the beast.

I can't believe a premed would come in here and judge others. I know you think life revolves around numbers but it doesn't for everyone. Not everyone needs a 250+. You'll soon find out, once you actually start your first day of medical school, that medical is hard and your fellow students are all high level performers. Not everyone wants to go into dermoplastic neurosurgery.

What every future doctor should want to have is compassion and perspective. Maybe you should work on that before you attend a medical school orientation.

How long does it take for the permit to take the practice test at the prometric center to come? I got my official exam permit on Thursday and i signed up to take the real exam on Oct 25th, and i also signed up for the practice permit on the same day...USMLE.org said it takes a few business days; how long is a few exactly?

big :thumbup: to everyone involved in the recent exchange. much needed entertainment in light of the recent lull in score experiences

bro it's one thing to talk s*** to a bunch of med students preparing for step 1 but when you're doing it on an account where you've previously made posts that describe personal details including where you've been accepted and what your previous career was nothing good can come out of it. especially considering that these recent posts are probably NOT how you portrayed yourself in your application (and are probably the exact opposite). people have gotten their acceptances revoked for comments made on here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=966310

stay safe....;)

bro it's one thing to talk s*** to a bunch of med students preparing for step 1 but when you're doing it on an account where you've previously made posts that describe personal details including where you've been accepted and what your previous career was nothing good can come out of it. especially considering that these recent posts are probably NOT how you portrayed yourself in your application (and are probably the exact opposite). people have gotten their acceptances revoked for comments made on here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=966310

stay safe....;)

Good advice. :thumbup:

Watch me wave my magic wand ;)

Good advice. :thumbup:

Watch me wave my magic wand ;)

One waving a magic wand --> Rhabdomantist.

Rhabdo- --> wand-, or rod-like; of striations.

Rhabdomyolysis --> breakdown of striated muscle

Rhabdovirus (rabies virus) --> bullet- or rod-shaped on electron micrograph (in FA!). Always tell my students that one.

Graduated DO school couple years ago. Research since.
Never took USMLE in school, only COMLEX.
Slightly above average COMLEX 1
Average grades in med school at best.
Sub 30 MCAT, less than 3.5 GPA in college.
Needed to take USMLE 1 this year for residency application (note: 3+ years after having most of the relevant material)
I would say I may have got, at most, 5-10 questions right on the test because of having clinical experience, though I am not in a field "related" to internal medicine.

Timeline:
5 weeks of study while working, on average, 30 hours per week. More work hours in first 3 weeks than last 2. Zero review of anything Step 1 related since med school.
Did Pathoma.
Did pass of first aid with DIT.
Started and continued doing UWORLD questions throughout (timed, unused for the duration) reviewing all responses/ explanations. Looked up topics in first aid.
NBME 7 (3 weeks before): 195
NBME 11 (6 days before): 230
Listened to about 2/3 of goljan audio while driving to and from work and while working out.
Finished UWORLD 1st pass. Did not have time for any review or wrong answers. I think I finished with a scorching 56% correct. As the company states, it is most valuable as a learning tool.
Reviewed pathoma
Abbreviated pass through First Aid/ high yields

Step 1: 230

UWORLD was king and I would attribute getting any score above 200 to that resource as well as concomitant first aid review. In hindsight, my knowledge base was crap and I would have probably done better on this test by performing better in med school.

Also, 2nd yr DO students, take USMLE. Period end of story. Use UWORLD. Do pathoma with your courses. Studying that material after the fact was torture. Also, while dated, goljan audio still has utility. I listened to two lectures while driving to the test center and got 2 questions correct as a result.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks it was definitely a horrible month. I mainly posted because I wanted to point out you dont need 50 resources to do OK and it is more than possible to prep in a month or two for any US student. I do feel for the IMGs that are even further removed from med school and never had the same curriculum to begin with though.

Rhabdovirus (rabies virus) --> bullet- or rod-shaped on electron micrograph (in FA!). Always tell my students that one.

In an odd coincidence I had to get the rabies shot series after getting bit by a rabid animal.

After seeing the ridiculous advice offered by a pre med in this forum I felt it necessary to register and post my recent USMLE step 1 experience. In my opinion, my experience is in contradiction to any advice that individual offered.

In two years, I'll come back to this thread and post a followup so we can see how ridiculous the advice was.

In two years, I'll come back to this thread and post a followup so we can see how ridiculous the advice was.

I can empathize with you to a degree.

In America, especially, we have a hypocritically low tolerance for boasting and judging. It's unfortunate.

I foresee your downfall in your inability to follow through. Post your plan here now, and 2 years from now, let's see what you actually manage to accomplish.

The fact of the matter is that a premed has no relevant background in order to offer advice to people that are studying or have studied for this test.

I don't want you to think that I'm picking on you, because I'm not. Neither am I siding with the pre-med, who I feel was unable to articulate his thoughts and resorted just being unnecessarily and ineffectively defensive/combative. With some exceptions, your opinions appear to be the current mentality, and it's that which bothers me.

I understand where you're coming from. Intuitively it would seem that you're right, but we can't all experience everything - we all learn from others' successes and failures.

Where your argument doesn't hold water is - just because you experience something doesn't mean you understand it. There are so many variables in life that we can't keep track of them. We often confuse causation with correlation, which is why statistics is such a valuable field. n = 1 means nothing. Often, the perspective of an outsider is required to view something objectively (using the term loosely here). Bottom line: experience ≠ understanding,

Now let me give you the flip-side. One of my friends once told me this (it smacks of a stolen quote) and it's stayed with me since: 'The illusion of understanding is a product of distance and perspective. True understanding requires involvement'. It's true that once you spend enough time actively studying something, you gain some insights that escape others who aren't as involved. On a forum like this, those insights are shared and anyone with average intelligence can identify patterns, which is what he claims to be doing, and what most of us do.

It just makes people angry.

Why? Seems infantile.

Whether this premed ends up being right or wrong, myself and many others could care less. Looking back I wouldnt trade my good times before med school, during med school, or thereafter for "developing a comprehensive study plan before med school" for a 260.

I don't know why 'premed' is used as a pejorative. We've all been pre-meds, and I certainly don't understand the hate for planning in advance. We all know the quote 'no battle plan survives contact with the enemy', but this doesn't mean you shouldn't plan or have contingencies in place.

For all the good times you had before med school, I'm sure there were times you were bored ****less and could have formulated a Step 1 plan. I can't think of any reason to not plan something so important and spend time understanding it before having to deal with it.

It really doesn't take very long to skim the thread since most of the posts are quite short. I agree, however, that someone a week away from the step would be better served just asking the question even though it'd been answered before. I have driven myself to distraction before looking for a particular post I'd read earlier, and still haven't managed to find it.

Free advice: It's 'couldn't care less'. Saying 'could care less' implies the opposite. You can choose to use it to your benefit or to rail at me.

To each their own though. Ask a third year medical student what would happen if they started giving advice to the surgery residents on how to study for their surgery boards. It wouldnt last long...

I posted to offer my experience with the test after having been through the ordeal. With so many high scores on this board I thought lurkers like myself might appreciate what an average score study plan looks like. What works for one may not necessarily work for another though. My score is not great by any means but there are plenty of more intelligent people than myself who scored less.

I appreciate any and all inputs. We can learn something from everyone. I would consider any advice given to me seriously. I might not follow it, but I certainly wouldn't disregard it just because it came from a pre-med, a 3rd year, or someone with an 'average score'.

With this, let's please get back to actual plans and experiences, which is why I invited the pre-med to share his.

Last edited:
One waving a magic wand --> Rhabdomantist.

Rhabdo- --> wand-, or rod-like; of striations.

Rhabdomyolysis --> breakdown of striated muscle

:thumbup: :cool:

Thanks it was definitely a horrible month. I mainly posted because I wanted to point out you dont need 50 resources to do OK and it is more than possible to prep in a month or two for any US student. I do feel for the IMGs that are even further removed from med school and never had the same curriculum to begin with though.

Originally Posted by skidoc10
Whether this premed ends up being right or wrong, myself and many others could care less. Looking back I wouldnt trade my good times before med school, during med school, or thereafter for "developing a comprehensive study plan before med school" for a 260.

first off CONGRATS.
Secondly, I couldn't agree with you more.
Glad you shared your opinion :)

I don't want you to think that I'm picking on you, because I'm not. Neither am I siding with the pre-med, who I feel was unable to articulate his thoughts and resorted just being unnecessarily and ineffectively defensive/combative. With some exceptions, your opinions appear to be the current mentality, and it's that which bothers me.

I appreciate any and all inputs. We can learn something from everyone. I would consider any advice given to me seriously. I might not follow it, but I certainly wouldn't disregard it just because it came from a pre-med, a 3rd year, or someone with an 'average score'.

With this, let's please get back to actual plans and experiences, which is why I invited the pre-med to share his.

A pre med has no solid advice for the step 1, in fact no person who has NOT taken the exam can offer adequate advice, now you can write a whole essay about how valuable everyones opinion is and how we were all premed, but bottom line, I would NEVER have attempted to give advice (horrible advice to be exact) as a premed to someone prepping for step one, Its pompous and absolutely irrelevant.

A pre med has no solid advice for the step 1, in fact no person who has NOT taken the exam can offer adequate advice, now you can write a whole essay about how valuable everyones opinion is and how we were all premed, but bottom line, I would NEVER have attempted to give advice (horrible advice to be exact) as a premed to someone prepping for step one, Its pompous and absolutely irrelevant.

Funny enough, I actually think someone who hasn't taken Step1 can still give sound advice (I used to do that all of the time before I took the Step, which definitely used to annoy the crap out of people).

On the other hand, I agree as far as a premed giving Step1 advice. That's like one of us making definitive statements about a specialty fellowship exam.

:thumbdown: If you wanna tango, take it to the open forums and I'll be happy to oblige. I think I've been very civil thus far, and in-fact kept my argument limited to adhere to the constraints of civility. I'm no bleeding heart and would really enjoy a little freedom to express myself fully.

Funny enough, I actually think someone who hasn't taken Step1 can still give sound advice (I used to do that all of the time before I took the Step, which definitely used to annoy the crap out of people).

On the other hand, I agree as far as a premed giving Step1 advice. That's like one of us making definitive statements about a specialty fellowship exam.

:thumbup:

Last edited:

:thumbdown: If you wanna tango, take it to the open forums and I'll be happy to oblige. I think I've been very civil thus far, and in-fact kept my argument limited to adhere to the constraints of civility. I'm no bleeding heart and would really enjoy a little freedom to express myself fully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrd5HVb_lZQ :D