Official 2013-2014 Help Me Rank Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some input on my list. I'm currently undecided on whether I want to pursue general medicine or a fellowship after residency, so I just want to go the program with the best reputation/resources to keep my options open. Location is not as important to me either.

In no particular order:

UVA
Mayo
George Washington
Case western
Dartmouth
VCU
University of Maryland
Jefferson
CCF
Vermont
North shore LIJ
UConn
SUNY downstate

I'd appreciate any input on how to rank these programs! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've decided on my first three programs, but I keep going back and forth between my next four. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. OHSU
2. UVA
3. Emory
4. Wisconsin

I think all of these programs are probably pretty similar reputation-wise. I will likely put Wisconsin last here solely due to geographic preferences.
With regards to overall resident happiness, from what I've gathered: OHSU slightly > UVA = Wisconsin > Emory
Does this seem about right? Was there something about Emory that I am missing? People keep commenting on them as borderline malignant with unhappy residents but I have no first-hand experience with that, and the residents seemed decently happy at the dinner (though they did mention that they work pretty hard).
Also, how does the workload compare at these programs?

Thanks again for any help!

I've decided on my first three programs, but I keep going back and forth between my next four. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. OHSU
2. UVA
3. Emory
4. Wisconsin

I think all of these programs are probably pretty similar reputation-wise. I will likely put Wisconsin last here solely due to geographic preferences.
With regards to overall resident happiness, from what I've gathered: OHSU slightly > UVA = Wisconsin > Emory
Does this seem about right? Was there something about Emory that I am missing? People keep commenting on them as borderline malignant with unhappy residents but I have no first-hand experience with that, and the residents seemed decently happy at the dinner (though they did mention that they work pretty hard).

I'm an applicant....the dinner at Emory was the best part (and while I liked it how it was done, not sure if it was done that way because of $$$, which I hear from a physician in ATL that they are having problems with).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an applicant....the dinner at Emory was the best part (and while I liked it how it was done, not sure if it was done that way because of $$$, which I hear from a physician in ATL that they are having problems with).
Interesting, thanks for the input. I also liked the dinner overall - got to meet more residents there than at other dinners. I still would have preferred to have dinner somewhere downtown, since I've never been to Atlanta and would have like to see more of the area. There were definitely a lack of interns at my dinner, which is never a great sign. The couple that made it were on elective or ambulatory block.

Interesting, thanks for the input. I also liked the dinner overall - got to meet more residents there than at other dinners. I still would have preferred to have dinner somewhere downtown, since I've never been to Atlanta and would have like to see the area more. There was definitely a lack of interns at my dinner, which is never a great sign. The couple that made it were on elective or something.
if you'd like to discuss it further, feel free to msg me

Hi Guys,

I'm also having problems ranking my 5-7. I'd like to pursue either a Cards or possibly Pulm/CC fellowship and I don't know how to rank these:

5. Hopkins Bayview: Pros- I really loved the environment there and the fact that the program leadership will support you no matter what.. Their fellowship placement is fantastic.. Cons - it's a community program with more emphasis on bread and butter stuff, Baltimore isn't the greatest city in the world

6. BU: Pros - residents are awesome, best interview day and dinner I had; BMC is a county hospital with a very diverse patient population and lots of autonomy; very strong fellowship placement for cards; Boston is nice Cons - Boston is very expensive; residents seemed overworked

7. CCF: Pros - limitless research opportunities in cardio; loved my interviews there; Cleveland is affordable; Cons - they don't usually take their own for cardio, CICU is fellow driven

Thank you so much, any input is appreciated!

Hi everyone. I was hoping to get some input on my list. I've already ranked my #1-5 choices, but am having a lot of difficulty with the rest of my list. I'm interested in pursuing a fellowship - most likely GI. I have no interest in pulm/cc. I enjoyed my interview day at all of these programs, and I'd like to get some opinions on "reputation", which I'm hoping will help guide me a little better. Thanks in advance! :)

UTSW
Baylor
UTHSCA
Loma Linda
Uof Arizona
UTMB
USF

SWern
Baylor
AZ = San Antohn
the rest how you like

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some input on my list. I'm currently undecided on whether I want to pursue general medicine or a fellowship after residency, so I just want to go the program with the best reputation/resources to keep my options open. Location is not as important to me either.

In no particular order:

UVA
Mayo
George Washington
Case western
Dartmouth
VCU
University of Maryland
Jefferson
CCF
Vermont
North shore LIJ
UConn
SUNY downstate

It's a nice list. Rank them how you think first.

Hi Guys,

I'm also having problems ranking my 5-7. I'd like to pursue either a Cards or possibly Pulm/CC fellowship and I don't know how to rank these:

5. Hopkins Bayview: Pros- I really loved the environment there and the fact that the program leadership will support you no matter what.. Their fellowship placement is fantastic.. Cons - it's a community program with more emphasis on bread and butter stuff, Baltimore isn't the greatest city in the world

6. BU: Pros - residents are awesome, best interview day and dinner I had; BMC is a county hospital with a very diverse patient population and lots of autonomy; very strong fellowship placement for cards; Boston is nice Cons - Boston is very expensive; residents seemed overworked

7. CCF: Pros - limitless research opportunities in cardio; loved my interviews there; Cleveland is affordable; Cons - they don't usually take their own for cardio, CICU is fellow driven

Thank you so much, any input is appreciated!

BU
CCF
Bayview

Fwiw the ambulatory blocks at BU are 9-5 per a resident that I know....ICU not at all, but that's expected, and med wards are somewhere in between..as expected. 'Overworked' probably depended on the particular resident's month? Didn't apply but that's what she told me, and said that she had ample opportunity to enjoy Boston.

Hi, I am interested in hematology oncology. I would appreciate comments on my list a lot.

1. USC
2. CCF
3. NSLIJ
4. MCW
5. Rush
6. UCLA-OV

1. OHSU
2. UVA
3. Emory
4. Wisconsin

Seems fine. You're competitive, and as long as you're not a tool, you shouldn't drop out of your top 3. Unless it's MGH, JHU, UCSF....

Hi, I am interested in hematology oncology. I would appreciate comments on my list a lot.

1. USC
2. CCF
3. NSLIJ
4. MCW
5. Rush
6. UCLA-OV

USC has been matching people into hem/onc like no one's business.

Members don't see this ad :)

In no particular order:

UVA
Mayo
George Washington
Case western
Dartmouth
VCU
University of Maryland
Jefferson
CCF
Vermont
North shore LIJ
UConn
SUNY downstate

So let me get this straight. You have no idea what you want to be when you grow up (not totally unreasonable) and you went to all these interviews and have no opinion on how to rank them? And you want random people on the intarwebs to do it for you?

OK...you want to do Nephrology.
Your list should be Downstate/GW/UConn/NSLIJ/UVM and then forget the rest...they suck.

Hi, I am interested in heme/oncology or hospitalist, and prefer to stay in NYC. but also want strong teaching experience. wondering whether I am anyone can compare my 1-4 to my 5-10, in term of learning environment, program reputations, or experience working with program graduates.

1. St Luke-Roosevelt (residents don't seem happy, non-existent teaching)
2.Beth Israel Medical Center (friendlier residents)
3. Lenox Hill (private attending)
4. Winthrop
5. Temple
6. Drexel
7. Albert Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia
8. University of Florida
9. UMass
10. Albany
11. Upstate
12. SIU

Hi, I am interested in heme/oncology or hospitalist, and prefer to stay in NYC. but also want strong teaching experience. wondering whether I am anyone can compare my 1-4 to my 5-10, in term of learning environment, program reputations, or experience working with program graduates.

4. Winthrop
5. Temple
6. Drexel
8. University of Florida
9. UMass
10. Albany
11. Upstate
12. SIU

You wanna stay in NYC that bad, huh?

Hi everyone, can you help me to decide if I should rank Cedars or USC as my number 1? I want to do GI fellowship in the future. I really appreciate your help.
1. Cedars
2. USC
or
1. USC
2. Cedars

I would say Cedars >> USC for GI. Ranked 5th in GI nationally, meaning they have outstanding attendings to write LOR for you (=arguably most important thing for GI placement), place about 4 into GI /year with a smaller class size, less scutwork than USC=more time to do research, and traditionally have been able to land great GI fellowships UCLA/Bringham etc. vs USC's 1 good year of fellowship match of mostly lower tier GI places minus UPenn last year.

I did an away at Cedars (consult service) and it did not have enough patients. We did not see any private patients which is almost always the case at Cedars. As a result, we saw maybe 10 total patients over the course of a month. It was a beautiful place and everyone was incredible nice, plus the computer system was a dream, but I would be afraid of not getting a strong clinical education. I personally am going to rank Irvine over Cedars.

Did a rotation at UC Irvine. Experience was at best equal to your experience at Cedars. Cedars has a substantially greater national presence. but to each his own.

How would people rank the following by reputation? Interested in Pulm/Crit.

OHSU
AECOM/Montefiore
USC

RWJ, Penn State, Jeff for prim care/hospitalist?

I've really stewed over my rank list for a while, mostly putting it off cause I don't want to think about it. But the time is approaching, so I'd appreciate any thoughts. Here's my tentative order:

1. MGH - I liked the program, including the set up of the Bigelow system, the good share of outpatient time, and had a good interaction with the residents. I wouldn't say it was my favorite program, but it was top 5 and the fact that it will make any fellowship opportunities that much easier makes me inclined to rank it number 1. That being said, I think my chances of being ranked to match are minuscule, so I feel it's a moot point.

2. UNC - I think this is the main source of my anxiety. I think my chances of matching here are exceedingly high. It's my home program and I really like it. I like the subspecialty inpatient organization, have gotten along super well with the residents, really like the attendings for the most part, etc etc. I also have family/friends/significant other in the area or within an afternoon's drive so that's a big factor as well. That being said, I just felt like I was ready to move on and get a new experience. I also worry about the fact that the program is a solid step below a few of the other programs near the top of my list.

3. Vanderbilt - Would probably be my number 1 if it wasn't for location and the fact that MGH is MGH. Has the subspecialty organization of UNC, block system, enjoyed the residents, new program director seemed very receptive to changes, good research opportunities and fellowship match. Just not sure if I like it so much more than UNC to move that much further away from my SO and family (we're talking 5-7 hours difference driving).

4. Duke - Was my number before interviews, but I just didn't love the program when I visited. Residents seemed a little overworked, the schedule is not very forgiving (daily admitting, q3 call on icu months, weekend call on consults). That being said, it's an ideal location for me; I love the fact that the residents seem so confident in managing any kind of patient early on and seemed really smart during conferences. I also had a good time with them at dinner and know a couple interns already. I've gone back and forth a dozen times, including ranking it 1, but my gut is steering me here.

5. UVA - Pretty similar to UNC in a lot of respects. Liked the fact that they're moving to 3+1. Overall residents seemed maybe a little happier than at UNC, but I think the differences are enough of a wash that I don't see myself ranking it higher than UNC.

6. Yale - Really liked this program, had great interviews, like the 4+2, curriculum, etc. But can I really spend the next 3 years in a city where I know no one and have to drive an hour to the airport and then fly another 2 hours to see my family/SO? I don't think I can.

7. JHH - Liked the autonomy and how confident the residents were. But I didn't have a great vibe with my interviewers; seemed kind of stuffy and serious. Residents were okay though. And it's Hopkins; can't deny the training. I guess I think JHH-Duke is analogous to UNC-UVA for me; felt similarly about both programs so location is kind of the trump card here.

Anyways, I'll leave it at that, since while there were other programs I really liked, I don't think it's worth discussing for practical purposes. Thanks again for any input.

I'd agree with Disorder. I am also from UNC and interviewed at many of the same places. I had the exact same feelings as you for many of these (including having Duke #1 going into the process). Feel free to PM me to talk through these some more if you want! Good luck!

4. Winthrop
5. Temple
6. Drexel
8. University of Florida
9. UMass
10. Albany
11. Upstate
12. SIU
Whats more important NYC or strong teaching? SLR is getting/got new PD, not sure what that means for teaching. BI is good location, never did IM rotation, but sub-specialty teaching was varied. Lenox Hill= Great residents, teaching was nonexistent from private attendings, noon conference was hit or miss, they got SLR's old PD so not sure what will change. Winthrop is NOT NYC, and is really the Lenox hill of Long Island. Temple, Albany, UMass, Upstate, USF, would be higher on my list.

Take this all with a GRAIN of salt, I'm just an applicant as well, but base it on rotations/interview trail.

In terms of having better chances at Cards fellowship match, Which should I rank higher: Cornell vs Vanderbilt?

In terms of having better chances at Cards fellowship match, Which should I rank higher: Cornell vs Vanderbilt?
Current applicant. I think its equivalent cardiology wise. I interviewed at Cornell and didn't like it too much. I have friends who interviewed at vandy and loved it. Go where you rather live.

Heres my list curious, about what people think. For what its worth I'm interested in Pulm/CC.

1. Vanderbilt-Seems like a solid program for Pulm/CC, got along with the residents I met, I liked Nashville. Good reputation and research opportunities.
2. Columbia-Thought this was going to be my number one going into the season. I think the training is great and I would love to live in NYC but I have reservations about the ancillary staff. Not sure how happy the residents were. Didn't seem to fit in terribly well with the other applicants. I like the assistant PD and they have the best fellowship placement of any of the programs.
3. UVA-Solid academic reputation, really liked the residents, didactics, and PD. CVille is small but seems like it has a lot to offer.
4. UCSD- great for pulm/CC, SD is one of my favorite cities, residents seemed chill. Not sure if the training is on par with some of the others.
5. Mayo-Really liked the program a lot and was blown away with everything but Rochester.
6. UTSW- Solid reputation with a lot of autonomy. Didn't meet a lot of residents while I was there. In state for me so I would have some contacts
7. WashU- This was my 15th interview so I'm not sure if I was burnt out but nothing really stood out to me about this program and I wasn't crazy about St. Louis.
8. Baylor-I really wanted to go here for med school so I'm familiar with the institution. I like Houston but I feel like they've fallen recently due to financial problems and their Pulm match list wasn't super impressive.

Really confident about 9-16 and really hope I stay at 8 or above.

Thanks for the help.

Finished the order for my top few programs, but having some trouble with the middle ones. My SO would like to end up in southern California (eventually), and would like me to rank California programs (USC, UCI, Cedars, Harbor-UCLA) higher for location. Of course I would love to be in nicer weather and make him happy, but I want to be sure I will receive strong training and that I'll have a shot to match at a strong GI fellowship program. Here is my list currently:

USC
UCI
Cedars
Harbor-UCLA
Utah
Jefferson
Temple
Maryland
Hopkins-Bayview
UIC
Case
OSU
Loyola

For GI:
Cedars > Harbor-UCLA>USC>>>UCI
Cedars - top 5 GI program with prestigious faculty who can hook you up. Cedars has more time to do research than the other programs. Typically matches pretty strong GI programs. UCLA heavy , Beth Isreal recently. If you look at the GI match criteria LOR and Research interest are pretty high up there.
HarborUCLA- current UCLA GI fellowship director trained at Harbor UCLA. Typically match 1/ year into GI because most other ppl at Harbor gunning for cards spots.
USC- 1 years worth of broad GI matching. Of these Upenn is only good fellowship placement. rest are random in weird places and your signif other will prolly not like that.
UCI- matched 1 GI this year to chief resident - aka put in 4 years worth of work and low pay to get internal match at UCI GI.
own two cents.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Please help me to rank :) I want to do GI or Cards and want to practice in California. I'm interested in working in academia in the future. I have been debating if I should go to lower tier programs in California or some other programs with better name outside of California. I really love California but I'm afraid if I don't go to the best program, then it may be hard for me to apply for fellowship.
California-Cedar Sinai, UC Irvine, USC, Harbor-UCLA, Scripps Mercy
Outside of California-Baylor, Emory, UAB, Tulane, Albert Einstein-Montefiore
Please give me your opinions. I really appreciate your help!!!

Agreed with someone above. Most of your outside of California programs are a lot more prestigious than the california programs and to be honest, you'd do much better off in the long run going to Baylor or Emory over the Cali programs you have listed. Like mentioned above, coming from a strong IM program can land you strong fellowship placements later down the road.

Of the California programs I would rank it Cedars > Harbor > Scripps>USC >>>UCI. At least thats what I was told by faculty advisors.

Hello all, I have a list of programs that I interviewed at, but I don't have a rank list yet. Please help me brain storm some info and I really appreciate it. I am thinking about Heme/onc for the future. Thank you!
1. UNM
2. Case western, ohio
3. Baylor, texas
4. UTMB, galveston
5. University of Arizona, tucson
6. University of Utah
7. USC
8. UCI
9. Loma Linda
Thanks again. Good luck and congrats for everyone!
Yup.
Baylor and Utah need to be top of your list.
Then ... probably case western >USC > Loma Linda >UCI and then the rest have no clue

Last edited:
I would love some input on my rank order list. Interested in cardiology. With a focus on quality of training and potential to set me up for a solid fellowship, with a tertiary concern of quality of life, I came up with the following list. Any suggestions, comments, concerns, or questions? I realize that these lists are ultimately based on an intangible "feel factor", but it helps to get input and ensure that we are not making gross mistakes. Thank you so much for your help.

1.) USC - great training, underserved & county population in academic setting. Great fellowship potential. Program up and coming - but reputation may not be as great as some below?
2.) Utah - Solid program all around. Could easily be #1
3.) Dartmouth - Outstanding training/didactics/academics. Best morning report of all interviews, arguably most impressive PD and residents. Location is a major negative.
4/5) Wisconsin/Einstein - Interchangeable. Both have great training but in very different settings. Love Einstein's inner city experience. Wisconsin is a great program, but location is a tough sell.
6.) NS/LIJ
7.) UCI
8.) RWJ
9.) Maryland
10.) Vermont
11.) Upstate

Utah and Dartmouth clearly better than USC. USC has one year of good matching and at that the cards programs aren't that good., besides you will bust your balls and not get your tertiary goal. Wisconsin has extremely strong cards program with good EP if you're into that. They internally match a lot which will put less stress on your in residency, but yeah up to you for location. Rest not sure about.

To expand on this, there are 2 ways to look at CCF if you want to do cards-
1) You will get a bunch of exposure to crazy stuff you won't see elsewhere in terms of cards. You will see lots of stuff on the consult service, clinical cards service and stuff you will see no where else in the CICU. From that standpoint it is a great place for exposure to cards

2) However, residents are marginalized. In the CICU, they rarely place any type of line. Fellows place every swan, pump, temp wire, and do every pericardicentesis. Fellows do 95% of a-lines, central lines, quintons etc. Residents just don't get experience with this. When I ask the 2nd year residents, many have never done a single central line or at most a handful (less than 5). That is ridiculous as a second year. I couldn't even count the number of lines I had placed by my 2nd year. Also, the residents are not regarded strongly by the fellowship so you can pretty much count yourself out of the running for CCF's cards program. Despite a huge program (13 fellows per year) they only take 1-2 CCF residents. Finally, the residents are uncomfortable dealing with "cards" issues that most medicine teams would take care of (like AF) For instance, cards consults routinely gets consulted by medicine for routine AFib treatment.

Seconded. I would just like to add that having done 8 weeks of general medicine at CCF (as a med student), the attendings are super-involved in the day to day management of patients and plans, to the extent where they will dictate everything (including consults to cards for routine afib management). So not sure if that is entirely reflective of the residents necessarily. Having been brought up in the CCF medicine system, I must say that I was quite surprised on the interview trail that this is not the norm.

Bayview > BU >> CCF (for IM).
I have dealt with both Bayview and CCF IM residents and I personally felt the Bayview residents were stronger.
Baltimore is not that bad. I lived there for 3 years. My wife and I were pretty happy there. Personally I like Cleveland a bit better but mainly because we were able to buy a huge house and it's nice and quiet. Better restaurants in B-more and I felt more to do... but I did live in the city at that point in my life.

Thank you so much for your input! It gave me more confidence to leave my ranking the way it is, with Bayview in 5th.. I really felt I would be happier at Bayview, but at the same time I was concerned about the pathology diversity which I think is not going to be a major problem..

For GI:
UCI- matched 1 GI this year to chief resident - aka put in 4 years worth of work and low pay to get internal match at UCI GI.
own two cents.

Not sure if this is accurate. I interviewed at UCI, spoke directly with an upcoming chief who named one of their third year residents as matching at UCLA for GI. Unsure what the rest of their match looked like this year, but I did get the impression that their GI match is actually not bad comparatively speaking.

ucla v stanford, 50/50 right now, loved both and can be happy at both. is there a compelling reason to choose one over the other? how are they rep-wise for fellowships - cards/gi/pulm. any input appreciated!

Any help is much appreciated for finalizing my ROL based on cards/ pulm-cc interest.
Iowa
Maryland
Temple
CCF
NJMS
VCU
UConn
Does the above look sensible in terms of good IM training and fellowship matches?

Last edited:
ucla v stanford, 50/50 right now, loved both and can be happy at both. is there a compelling reason to choose one over the other? how are they rep-wise for fellowships - cards/gi/pulm. any input appreciated!
You love/hate LA. That's about it. Otherwise flip a coin.

Any help is much appreciated for finalizing my ROL based on cards/ pulm-cc interest.
Iowa
Maryland
Temple
CCF
NJMS
VCU
UConn
Does the above look sensible in terms of good IM training and fellowship matches?
I'd probably put VCU a little higher but yes, it's fine.

Iowa
Maryland
Temple
CCF
NJMS
VCU
UConn
Looks completely fine.

Heres my list curious, about what people think. For what its worth I'm interested in Pulm/CC.

1. Vanderbilt-Seems like a solid program for Pulm/CC, got along with the residents I met, I liked Nashville. Good reputation and research opportunities.
2. Columbia-Thought this was going to be my number one going into the season. I think the training is great and I would love to live in NYC but I have reservations about the ancillary staff. Not sure how happy the residents were. Didn't seem to fit in terribly well with the other applicants. I like the assistant PD and they have the best fellowship placement of any of the programs.
3. UVA-Solid academic reputation, really liked the residents, didactics, and PD. CVille is small but seems like it has a lot to offer.
4. UCSD- great for pulm/CC, SD is one of my favorite cities, residents seemed chill. Not sure if the training is on par with some of the others.
5. Mayo-Really liked the program a lot and was blown away with everything but Rochester.
6. UTSW- Solid reputation with a lot of autonomy. Didn't meet a lot of residents while I was there. In state for me so I would have some contacts
7. WashU- This was my 15th interview so I'm not sure if I was burnt out but nothing really stood out to me about this program and I wasn't crazy about St. Louis.
8. Baylor-I really wanted to go here for med school so I'm familiar with the institution. I like Houston but I feel like they've fallen recently due to financial problems and their Pulm match list wasn't super impressive.

Really confident about 9-16 and really hope I stay at 8 or above.

Thanks for the help.

I think your concerns regarding Columbia are valid. Would consider moving it below UVA.

Last edited:
Both great programs, though IMO stanford is the better choice everything else being equal. Residents are really happy there, not the same traffic issues as UCLA (where you need up driving a lot between hospitals) and slightly better reputation, particularly if you are interested in going east. That being said you'll be in great shape coming out of either so you're not going to make a bad choice here. Good luck.

Current applicant. I think its equivalent cardiology wise. I interviewed at Cornell and didn't like it too much. I have friends who interviewed at vandy and loved it. Go where you rather live.
Agree with this. Vanderbilt is the better program, though they are in the same caliber reputation-wise.

1. OHSU
2. UVA
3. Emory
4. Wisconsin

These 4 are pretty similar reputation-wise. Very different cultures and very different places to live. I presume your order is also reflective of where you would rather live. Either way, it looks good, and is likely how I would rank them.

Iowa
Maryland
Temple
CCF
NJMS
VCU
UConn

I'd put VCU above CCF

Status
Not open for further replies.