Official 2013-2014 Help Me Rank Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nm

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having trouble ranking Boston University vs Baylor (Houston). Interested in Cardiology and both seem to match well. Would you say both programs are pretty equal in academic strength?

I'm having trouble ranking Boston University vs Baylor (Houston). Interested in Cardiology and both seem to match well. Would you say both programs are pretty equal in academic strength?

I think Baylor is probably a little more regarded nationally. But then. You'd have to live in Houston.

Members don't see this ad :)

If there is a difference it's negligible. Pick based on gut feeling, location and other touchy feely criteria

baylor back in the day would have probably more regarded but nowadays i don't think there is too much difference if any

Any thoughts on the list overall? I mostly need help with #2 and #3. Interested in GI, social yet intense environment. From midwest and want to leave and can live anywhere. At UCLA everyone seemed super happy and I feel like my life may be easier overall living in LA. Yet Sinai is a great place as well, and I spent a month in NYC and really liked my short time there. I am, however, worried I will literally go broke in New York during residency.

1. MGH
2 or 3- Mount Sinai vs. UCLA (cannot decide for the life of me)
4. BID
5. Michigan
6. Stanford
7. UChicago
8. WashU
9. Denver
10. UCSD

Any thoughts on the list overall? I mostly need help with #2 and #3. Interested in GI, social yet intense environment. From midwest and want to leave and can live anywhere. At UCLA everyone seemed super happy and I feel like my life may be easier overall living in LA. Yet Sinai is a great place as well, and I spent a month in NYC and really liked my short time there. I am, however, worried I will literally go broke in New York during residency.

1. MGH
2 or 3- Mount Sinai vs. UCLA (cannot decide for the life of me)
4. BID
5. Michigan
6. Stanford
7. UChicago
8. WashU
9. Denver
10. UCSD

Then don't live where you're going to go broke?

Hope you match to somewhere that will get you a GI spot (good luck with that)

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have any opinions on UC Davis's department? I have heard mixed things when it comes to it being malignant etc. Any thoughts would be much appreciated !! thankss!

Then don't live where you're going to go broke?

Hope you match to somewhere that will get you a GI spot (good luck with that)

I understand that I am in no means in bad shape for fellowship, and I definitely appreciate any input. For Sinai vs. UCLA, does one have a better reputation nationally that would be able to get me to fellowship back to Chicago? I know UCLA matches more regionally, and so does Sinai, which is all largely due to preference of the residents in the program. I just wanted to see what else I can do to differentiate those two programs besides figuring out if I want to live in LA vs. NYC? Thanks again.

Could use some advice on selecting a prelim program:

Scott&White
Jewish Cincinnati
VCU

I understand VCU is an academic program and has the strongest reputation. But I'm interested in knowing how these stack up in terms of quality of life as this is not for a categorical position. I couldn't tell much of a difference from the information sessions. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

sorry, we only give advice for those doing categorical....

not sure if you're too concerned about receiving solid clinical medicine training vs having a cush intern year but scott and white is a well regarded medicine program in Texas but wouldn't consider them cush

I understand that I am in no means in bad shape for fellowship, and I definitely appreciate any input. For Sinai vs. UCLA, does one have a better reputation nationally that would be able to get me to fellowship back to Chicago? I know UCLA matches more regionally, and so does Sinai, which is all largely due to preference of the residents in the program. I just wanted to see what else I can do to differentiate those two programs besides figuring out if I want to live in LA vs. NYC? Thanks again.

UCLA has the better national reputation.

:lame:

Could use some advice on selecting a prelim program:

Scott&White
Jewish Cincinnati
VCU

I understand VCU is an academic program and has the strongest reputation. But I'm interested in knowing how these stack up in terms of quality of life as this is not for a categorical position. I couldn't tell much of a difference from the information sessions. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Well of those, I only applied to VCU, but I can say it didn't come across as particularly demanding on my interview day. With a 2+2 format and night float system for the MICU during all 3 years, it sounded pretty good in the quality of life department to me. Like I said, I only know about VCU, but my personal bias would support going there given that you'll get a solid foundation for whatever you're going into without overworking yourself too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
from speaking with the VCU students ive met on the trail ... a good portion of them are picking their home program as the # 1 choice. they stated absolutely loved their attendings and the focus on education. I'd go to VCU over those 2 in a heart beat even as a TY.

I'm considering a hem/onc or pulm/critical care fellowship.
1. Tulane
2. UTMB-Galveston
3. UAMS-Little Rock
4. Univ of Arizona-Tuscon
5. Rutgers NJMC-Newark

Thanks!

Could anyone help me rank these by academic reputation (assume no geographical preference)? Or is there not really a significant difference in tiers among the schools listed? I'm pretty sure I want to do fellowship, but I'm not sure which one yet, though cardiology or pulmonary is a possibility for me.

Thanks a lot.

1. Baylor
2. OHSU
3. UW-Madison
4. UVA
5. BU
6. UC-Denver
7. UMaryland

Hi everyone, can you help me to decide if I should rank Cedars or USC as my number 1? I want to do GI fellowship in the future. I really appreciate your help.
1. Cedars
2. USC
or
1. USC
2. Cedars

Hi everyone, can you help me to decide if I should rank Cedars or USC as my number 1? I want to do GI fellowship in the future. I really appreciate your help.
1. Cedars
2. USC
or
1. USC
2. Cedars

Fellow applicant here. If you are very serious about GI, I would most definitely rank USC first. They matched 14 people into GI last year including 4 at their own program. I also remember them saying they love to take their own and will save spots for residents they know are applying to their own program.

Didn't get that vibe from Cedars and I heard their GI and Cards programs are tough to get into, even for their own residents. Pulm/crit on the other hand, I heard matches their own residents well.

Neither are that good of IM programs though in terms of getting fellowship prospects. Just my two cents.

I have my top 2 set but having trouble with the rest. Interested in GI and location isn't really a factor. How would you rank these programs in terms of reputation and chances of landing a GI spot? My tentative ranking is:

3. Thomas Jefferson
4. Baylor (real Baylor)
5. VCU
6. University of Maryland
7. MUSC
8. Tufts
9. Temple
10. Albert Einstein/Monte
11. Tulane

Thanks for your help!

I have my top 2 set but having trouble with the rest. Interested in GI and location isn't really a factor. How would you rank these programs in terms of reputation and chances of landing a GI spot? My tentative ranking is:

3. Thomas Jefferson
4. Baylor (real Baylor)
5. VCU
7. MUSC
8. Tufts
9. Temple
11. Tulane

Thanks for your help!

Why Tulane so low? I have the impression that it as at least as good as your 3-10, if not better.
Anyone disagree?

Could anyone help me rank these by academic reputation (assume no geographical preference)? Or is there not really a significant difference in tiers among the schools listed? I'm pretty sure I want to do fellowship, but I'm not sure which one yet, though cardiology or pulmonary is a possibility for me.

Thanks a lot.

1. Baylor
2. OHSU
3. UW-Madison
4. UVA
5. BU
6. UC-Denver
7. UMaryland

I'd consider OHSU, UW-Madison, UVA and UC-Denver in a different tier than Baylor, BU and UMaryland

I'm considering a hem/onc or pulm/critical care fellowship.
1. Tulane
2. UTMB-Galveston
3. UAMS-Little Rock
4. Univ of Arizona-Tuscon
5. Rutgers NJMC-Newark

Thanks!

Anyone could help? Thank you!

Thanks a lot.

1. Baylor
2. OHSU
3. UW-Madison
4. UVA
5. BU
6. UC-Denver
7. UMaryland

I would put Baylor > Colorado > Wisconsin > OHSU > Maryland ~ UVA ~BU by reputation plus what I saw of places minus my own gut feel. So I suppose Colorado looks low to me, especially for someone interested in pulm, but not totally unreasonable. Outside of the first four being a touch better than the last three, in my opinion, they're all in the same ballpark.

Thanks a lot.

1. Baylor
2. OHSU
3. UW-Madison
4. UVA
5. BU
6. UC-Denver
7. UMaryland

OHSU
Wisconsin = Virginia
Baylor
Maryland
BU = Colorado

1. Cedars
2. USC
or
1. USC
2. Cedars

USC >>> Cedars

UNLESS, you want to simply gun for in house cedar spot. It's a strategy I HATE, but have seen work.

3. Thomas Jefferson
4. Baylor (real Baylor)
5. VCU
7. MUSC
8. Tufts
9. Temple
11. Tulane

Thanks for your help!

Baylor
Maryland
VCU
TJ = Tufts = Monte
Temple = MUSC = Tulane

I would put Baylor > Colorado > Wisconsin > OHSU > Maryland ~ UVA ~BU by reputation plus what I saw of places minus my own gut feel. So I suppose Colorado looks low to me, especially for someone interested in pulm, but not totally unreasonable. Outside of the first four being a touch better than the last three, in my opinion, they're all in the same ballpark.

Colorado pulmonary cares f**k-all if you did residency at Colorado. It's not an advantage. You'd be better served going to OHSU where you'd actually have time to get some ish published and eventually send an application to Colorado that has a letter from someones at OHSU they will care about.

Colorado pulmonary cares f**k-all if you did residency at Colorado. It's not an advantage. You'd be better served going to OHSU where you'd actually have time to get some ish published and eventually send an application to Colorado that has a letter from someones at OHSU they will care about.

I don't know how much Colorado pulm cares about having someone they already know, but Colorado's pulm match list this year was Colorado x2, Hopkins and Brigham. I suspect one would be in a position to go many places coming out of Colorado. OHSU is strongly internal, a lot of which has to do with the fact that people love Portland. Their fellowship match list going back to 2008-2009 is OHSUx8, Colorado and Duke.

I don't know how much Colorado pulm cares about having someone they already know, but Colorado's pulm match list this year was Colorado x2, Hopkins and Brigham. I suspect one would be in a position to go many places coming out of Colorado. OHSU is strongly internal, a lot of which has to do with the fact that people love Portland. Their fellowship match list going back to 2008-2009 is OHSUx8, Colorado and Duke.

You missed the point. Lol.

You missed the point. Lol.

I'm not sure I get your point either, sorry :(

Could you please elaborate?

If let's say I wanted to end up at Hopkins or Brigham or somewhere in the east coast for Pulm/CC fellowship, would you still say that OHSU would be a better choice for residency than UC-Denver?

I'm not sure I get your point either, sorry :(

Could you please elaborate?

If let's say I wanted to end up at Hopkins or Brigham or somewhere in the east coast for Pulm/CC fellowship, would you still say that OHSU would be a better choice for residency than UC-Denver?

Yup.

My top 7 schools, in no specific order, are:
-Case Western (UH)
-Brown
-Wisconsin (Madison)
-UVA
-Minnesota
-Ohio State
-Tufts
I would really appreciate any advice on ranking these schools, and why. I am interested in cardiology and location is not an issue. Thank you.

My top 7 schools, in no specific order, are:
-Case Western (UH)
-Brown
-Wisconsin (Madison)
-UVA
-Minnesota
-Ohio State
-Tufts
I would really appreciate any advice on ranking these schools, and why. I am interested in cardiology and location is not an issue. Thank you.
How about you rank them and tell us why? That's kind of the point, isn't it?

Could anyone please comment on U Southern California VS. Rush? Thank you! I am mainly looking at reputation, fellowship placement.

Trying to decide between UTSW, Emory, and UWisc. Have them currently ranked in that order. I am interested in cardiology or pulm/cc, and I will likely be looking for an outside fellowship after finishing the IM program (unless I matched in-house for Emory cards). Any thoughts on which program would provide the best opportunity for fellowship match outside of their general regions?

Trying to decide between UTSW, Emory, and UWisc. Have them currently ranked in that order. I am interested in cardiology or pulm/cc, and I will likely be looking for an outside fellowship after finishing the IM program (unless I matched in-house for Emory cards). Any thoughts on which program would provide the best opportunity for fellowship match outside of their general regions?

it's fine the way you have them.

Hi guys, any thoughts on these programs? I want to go into hem/onc

1. U Arizona
2. U Conn
3. Methodist, Houston

I've really stewed over my rank list for a while, mostly putting it off cause I don't want to think about it. But the time is approaching, so I'd appreciate any thoughts. Here's my tentative order:

1. MGH - I liked the program, including the set up of the Bigelow system, the good share of outpatient time, and had a good interaction with the residents. I wouldn't say it was my favorite program, but it was top 5 and the fact that it will make any fellowship opportunities that much easier makes me inclined to rank it number 1. That being said, I think my chances of being ranked to match are minuscule, so I feel it's a moot point.

2. UNC - I think this is the main source of my anxiety. I think my chances of matching here are exceedingly high. It's my home program and I really like it. I like the subspecialty inpatient organization, have gotten along super well with the residents, really like the attendings for the most part, etc etc. I also have family/friends/significant other in the area or within an afternoon's drive so that's a big factor as well. That being said, I just felt like I was ready to move on and get a new experience. I also worry about the fact that the program is a solid step below a few of the other programs near the top of my list.

3. Vanderbilt - Would probably be my number 1 if it wasn't for location and the fact that MGH is MGH. Has the subspecialty organization of UNC, block system, enjoyed the residents, new program director seemed very receptive to changes, good research opportunities and fellowship match. Just not sure if I like it so much more than UNC to move that much further away from my SO and family (we're talking 5-7 hours difference driving).

4. Duke - Was my number before interviews, but I just didn't love the program when I visited. Residents seemed a little overworked, the schedule is not very forgiving (daily admitting, q3 call on icu months, weekend call on consults). That being said, it's an ideal location for me; I love the fact that the residents seem so confident in managing any kind of patient early on and seemed really smart during conferences. I also had a good time with them at dinner and know a couple interns already. I've gone back and forth a dozen times, including ranking it 1, but my gut is steering me here.

5. UVA - Pretty similar to UNC in a lot of respects. Liked the fact that they're moving to 3+1. Overall residents seemed maybe a little happier than at UNC, but I think the differences are enough of a wash that I don't see myself ranking it higher than UNC.

6. Yale - Really liked this program, had great interviews, like the 4+2, curriculum, etc. But can I really spend the next 3 years in a city where I know no one and have to drive an hour to the airport and then fly another 2 hours to see my family/SO? I don't think I can.

7. JHH - Liked the autonomy and how confident the residents were. But I didn't have a great vibe with my interviewers; seemed kind of stuffy and serious. Residents were okay though. And it's Hopkins; can't deny the training. I guess I think JHH-Duke is analogous to UNC-UVA for me; felt similarly about both programs so location is kind of the trump card here.

Anyways, I'll leave it at that, since while there were other programs I really liked, I don't think it's worth discussing for practical purposes. Thanks again for any input.

I've really stewed over my rank list for a while, mostly putting it off cause I don't want to think about it. But the time is approaching, so I'd appreciate any thoughts. Here's my tentative order:

1. MGH - I liked the program, including the set up of the Bigelow system, the good share of outpatient time, and had a good interaction with the residents. I wouldn't say it was my favorite program, but it was top 5 and the fact that it will make any fellowship opportunities that much easier makes me inclined to rank it number 1. That being said, I think my chances of being ranked to match are minuscule, so I feel it's a moot point.

2. UNC - I think this is the main source of my anxiety. I think my chances of matching here are exceedingly high. It's my home program and I really like it. I like the subspecialty inpatient organization, have gotten along super well with the residents, really like the attendings for the most part, etc etc. I also have family/friends/significant other in the area or within an afternoon's drive so that's a big factor as well. That being said, I just felt like I was ready to move on and get a new experience. I also worry about the fact that the program is a solid step below a few of the other programs near the top of my list.

3. Vanderbilt - Would probably be my number 1 if it wasn't for location and the fact that MGH is MGH. Has the subspecialty organization of UNC, block system, enjoyed the residents, new program director seemed very receptive to changes, good research opportunities and fellowship match. Just not sure if I like it so much more than UNC to move that much further away from my SO and family (we're talking 5-7 hours difference driving).

4. Duke - Was my number before interviews, but I just didn't love the program when I visited. Residents seemed a little overworked, the schedule is not very forgiving (daily admitting, q3 call on icu months, weekend call on consults). That being said, it's an ideal location for me; I love the fact that the residents seem so confident in managing any kind of patient early on and seemed really smart during conferences. I also had a good time with them at dinner and know a couple interns already. I've gone back and forth a dozen times, including ranking it 1, but my gut is steering me here.

5. UVA - Pretty similar to UNC in a lot of respects. Liked the fact that they're moving to 3+1. Overall residents seemed maybe a little happier than at UNC, but I think the differences are enough of a wash that I don't see myself ranking it higher than UNC.

6. Yale - Really liked this program, had great interviews, like the 4+2, curriculum, etc. But can I really spend the next 3 years in a city where I know no one and have to drive an hour to the airport and then fly another 2 hours to see my family/SO? I don't think I can.

7. JHH - Liked the autonomy and how confident the residents were. But I didn't have a great vibe with my interviewers; seemed kind of stuffy and serious. Residents were okay though. And it's Hopkins; can't deny the training. I guess I think JHH-Duke is analogous to UNC-UVA for me; felt similarly about both programs so location is kind of the trump card here.

Anyways, I'll leave it at that, since while there were other programs I really liked, I don't think it's worth discussing for practical purposes. Thanks again for any input.

I think this is a really solid thought out list that nobody will fault you for. There's great reasoning as to why programs are where they are, so I would say don't make any rash decisions before you submit your rank list. And, since UNC is your home program (and that you're a strong applicant from your rank list), you'll likely not fall below #2. Just remember that. If you have aspirations of being elsewhere more so than UNC, rank accordingly because it will likely be a stopcock in your list.

Hi guys, any thoughts on these programs? I want to go into hem/onc

1. U Arizona
2. U Conn
3. Methodist, Houston

As an applicant but in Houston, all I can say is that the Methodist hospital in Houston has a very weak reputation for IM, so I'd agree with putting it last.

FWIW, I interviewed a bunch of places and Emory is the only place I am not ranking. My n=1, though many others I have spoken with also doing the same. Residents were very unhappy when I was there, complaining throughout the tour, and the afternoon report was showed a malignant atmosphere between faculty and residents. Again, my n=1, but enough that I'm not even ranking it.

I understand that as far as academic reputation/fellowship competitiveness Colorado, OHSU, UW-Madison & Vanderbilt are probably the 'best' programs I interviewed at, but I actually think I liked Ohio St, Dartmouth, Utah and Tulane a bit better in terms of the PD's/interview day/overall vibe with residents.
I know people match into GI/Cards/PCC from any of these places, but am I compromising a lot by ranking the latter 4 at the top of my list?
Will I be geographically limiting myself in terms of fellowship? Are those 4 (osu, dart, utah, tulane) in roughly the same tier?

Hello, I'm interested in pursuing Hem/Onc and am having a tough time with the middle of my list. Can I get a few opinions on how these programs stack up compared to each other in regards to IM training and ultimately securing a Hem/Onc fellowship in Chicago or Milwaukee (for family reasons)?

- CCF (4-6 residents per year to Hem/Onc at pretty solid programs, but are these residents top notch with PhDs, etc?)
- University of Kansas
- University of Louisville (Only seem to send 0-1 residents to Hem/Onc each year and usually stay at UL.)
- UTMB (Is being so close to MD Anderson a disadvantage? I'm not sure how/where the residents match in fellowships as I wasn't given a fellowship match list on interview day/can't find one online.)
- University of Cincinnati

Thank you!

These programs are at the top of my list, but I have no idea how to to rank these:

University of Maryland
Montefiore
NSLIJ
Temple
SUNY Upstate
Beth Israel NYC
Cooper
RWJ
NJMS
Albany Medical College
SUNY Downstate

Purely based on the best program/best chances of getting a good fellowship (not sure which fellowship though), how do you guys think I should rank these?

These programs are at the top of my list, but I have no idea how to to rank these:

University of Maryland
Montefiore
NSLIJ
Temple
SUNY Upstate
Beth Israel NYC
Cooper
RWJ
NJMS
Albany Medical College
SUNY Downstate

Purely based on the best program/best chances of getting a good fellowship (not sure which fellowship though), how do you guys think I should rank these?
Monte, Maryland and RWJ should be at the top. Temple, Upstate and NSLIJ next then do whatever you want with the rest of them (they're mostly mediocre at best).

I understand that as far as academic reputation/fellowship competitiveness Colorado, OHSU, UW-Madison & Vanderbilt are probably the 'best' programs I interviewed at, but I actually think I liked Ohio St, Dartmouth, Utah and Tulane a bit better in terms of the PD's/interview day/overall vibe with residents.
I know people match into GI/Cards/PCC from any of these places, but am I compromising a lot by ranking the latter 4 at the top of my list?
Will I be geographically limiting myself in terms of fellowship? Are those 4 (osu, dart, utah, tulane) in roughly the same tier?

Tulane probably wouldn't normally roll in the same group as OSU, Dartmouth, and Utah . . . Tulane may be a bit limiting on the upper end of fellowships, but the rest should not outside of elite spots in GI and Cards. I don't think I'd worry about it too much.

Hi everyone. I was hoping to get some input on my list. I've already ranked my #1-5 choices, but am having a lot of difficulty with the rest of my list. I'm interested in pursuing a fellowship - most likely GI. I have no interest in pulm/cc. I enjoyed my interview day at all of these programs, and I'd like to get some opinions on "reputation", which I'm hoping will help guide me a little better. Thanks in advance! :)

UTSW
Baylor
UTHSCA
Loma Linda
Uof Arizona
UTMB
USF

Hi everyone. I was hoping to get some input on my list. I've already ranked my #1-5 choices, but am having a lot of difficulty with the rest of my list. I'm interested in pursuing a fellowship - most likely GI. I have no interest in pulm/cc. I enjoyed my interview day at all of these programs, and I'd like to get some opinions on "reputation", which I'm hoping will help guide me a little better. Thanks in advance! :)

UTSW
Baylor
UTHSCA
Loma Linda
Uof Arizona
UTMB
USF

Regarding the TX programs, UTSW > Baylor > UTHSCA or UTMB

Status
Not open for further replies.