"Help Me Rank" IM 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danchiao

Reaction score
Hey all,

Haven't seen a thread created yet for this year's upcoming match, so figured I'd make a new one here. To make it easier, please post your ranking list with your career goal (fellowship vs hosp/primary care), and location preference.

Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Let me start. My goal is either rheumatology or endocrine fellowship. No geographical tie.
1. Univ of Minnesota
2. Indiana Univ
3. Emory
4. Case Western
5. Univ of Utah
6. Univ of Illinois Chicago
7. Rush
8. Mayo clinic FL

Let me start. My goal is either rheumatology or endocrine fellowship. No geographical tie.
1. Univ of Minnesota
2. Indiana Univ
3. Emory
4. Case Western
5. Univ of Utah
7. Rush
8. Mayo clinic FL
Emory is the strongest program on your list. I would also place mayo high up given its connection to the larger mayo system. I’m a sucker for Chicago so I would probably have rush high on there too. There others should be based on what you like. Do you have any gut feeling or top programs from your list?

Members don't see this ad :)
I need some help too. I’m going to rank 14 but will only list my top 8 programs. Goals are heme onc with focus in malignant heme. Really no geo preference though I slightly prefer city to a rural location. Ready to work hard but I’m 30 so I don’t want to be beaten down too much

Kind of in order:
1) Penn
2) WashU
3) Cornell
4) Duke
5) Icahn MS main
6) Rush
7) Jeff
8) Hopkins Bayview

Really looking to compare penn v WashU and Cornell v duke. As well as rush v Jeff.

I go back and forth between wanting a "chiller" schedule vs getting my ass handed to me for the sake of being very competent. No idea what I want fellowship wise, its probably GI vs gen med fellowship (for research career). Also happy to say F it and jsut go hospitalist.

1) WashU (best schedule)
2) Duke (doesn't seem as malignant as it once was maybe)
3) Mayo, MN (don't want to live in Rochester, but I feel the Mayo name would take me places other programs wouldn't)
4) Chicago (best location, but the Duke and Mayo names beat it out)
5) Pitt
6) UTSW

Really looking at 1 vs 2 vs 3, and if Chicago is worth being in the discussion for top 3

I go back and forth between wanting a "chiller" schedule vs getting my ass handed to me for the sake of being very competent. No idea what I want fellowship wise, its probably GI vs gen med fellowship (for research career). Also happy to say F it and jsut go hospitalist.

1) WashU (best schedule)
3) Mayo, MN (don't want to live in Rochester, but I feel the Mayo name would take me places other programs wouldn't)
5) Pitt
6) UTSW

Really looking at 1 vs 2 vs 3, and if Chicago is worth being in the discussion for top 3
UChicago's matches in competitive specialties look at least as impressive (if anything moreso) than Mayo's so I don't think the name alone is worth going to Rochester. Mayo has a strong reputation as a hospital, but UChicago is known for stronger clinical training.

Reactions: 2 users

1) WashU (best schedule)
5) Pitt
6) UTSW

The top 4 (and honestly, all 6) are going to take you wherever you want to go. And UofC is an easy match in reputation for any of the rest of them so if geography is paramount, putting it first won't hurt you at all.

Reactions: 1 users
1. UVA
2. Utah
3. UNC
4. Colorado
5. OSU

Im hoping to do cardiology. Do any of these programs have a significantly better reputation than the others where this ordering is crazy, especially if I’m hoping to go to the west coast for fellowship and/or attending jobs. Colorado would be #1, but I have to rank it lower for other personal reasons. Utah could be #1, but ICU q3 28h call + traditional schedule as an upper level is not appealing to me

1. UVA
2. Utah
3. UNC
4. Colorado
5. OSU

Im hoping to do cardiology. Do any of these programs have a significantly better reputation than the others where this ordering is crazy, especially if I’m hoping to go to the west coast for fellowship and/or attending jobs. Colorado would be #1, but I have to rank it lower for other personal reasons. Utah could be #1, but ICU q3 28h call + traditional schedule as an upper level is not appealing to me
The q3 28h call is interesting, a lot of residencies I interviewed at that have it say the residency is nearly split 50/50 on if they like it / want to keep it. I can imagine having the post call day then short call day (say they leave at noon) can be pretty conducive to being able to do things you wouldn't on a normal schedule.

The q3 28h call is interesting, a lot of residencies I interviewed at that have it say the residency is nearly split 50/50 on if they like it / want to keep it. I can imagine having the post call day then short call day (say they leave at noon) can be pretty conducive to being able to do things you wouldn't on a normal schedule.
Yeah I've actually heard similar things. It sounds like Utah specifically put this to a vote last year and decided to keep the call. It personally sounds terrible to me, but I've never done any sort of meaningful call my opinion isn't worth too much. I also wonder if it would be worth pursuing a residency with call if there are plans to do a fellowship that has call.

I’m applying to a combined specialty so there are other factors at play in my list, but I am interested in feedback on the IM side of things since that will be half my time! Especially the middle of the list since that’s giving me the most grief. Interests in ID/HIV, substance use, ethics. hoping to stay in academics. Would appreciate being somewhere that I have personal ties (*) but still willing to consider other places too.

• UCLA* vs LAC+USC* (stronger preference for USC people and mission, esp for the combined part of the program. but UCLA is UCLA…)
  • UCSD*
  • Baylor vs Yale vs Miami* vs Maryland vs Georgetown* vs Colorado (help!!)
  • UChicago
  • Rest of list: University of Illinois Chicago, Utah, Arizona (Phoenix), USF, Rutgers/NJMS, LSU

Hello friends! IMG here. I got 13 IV. Can you help me rank??? I am doing couples match so only putting our share options:
My interests are QoL, good training, fellowship match and location (least important)

1. Uconn
2. U new mexico
3. Einstein Philly
4. Mount sinai miami beach
5. St agnes baltimore
6. NYCMC

DMC/Wayne State vs. Hofsta Lenox Hill vs. Christiana Care?

Care about training quality, reputation (to help with fellowship matching)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello friends! IMG here. I got 13 IV. Can you help me rank??? I am doing couples match so only putting our share options:
My interests are QoL, good training, fellowship match and location (least important)

1. Uconn
2. U new mexico
3. Einstein Philly
4. Mount sinai miami beach
5. St agnes baltimore
6. NYCMC

Sounds reasonable. Do you like snow?

I’m applying to a combined specialty so there are other factors at play in my list, but I am interested in feedback on the IM side of things since that will be half my time! Especially the middle of the list since that’s giving me the most grief. Interests in ID/HIV, substance use, ethics. hoping to stay in academics. Would appreciate being somewhere that I have personal ties (*) but still willing to consider other places too.

• UCLA* vs LAC+USC* (stronger preference for USC people and mission, esp for the combined part of the program. but UCLA is UCLA…)
  • UCSD*
  • Baylor vs Yale vs Miami* vs Maryland vs Georgetown* vs Colorado (help!!)
  • UChicago
  • Rest of list: University of Illinois Chicago, Utah, Arizona (Phoenix), USF, Rutgers/NJMS, LSU

What is the other specialty ? For instance if its pediatrics then I would probably put weight out of your middle cohort in places like Baylor or Colorado since they have what I believe to be stronger pediatrics programs and quite solid medicine programs also

What is the other specialty ? For instance if its pediatrics then I would probably put weight out of your middle cohort in places like Baylor or Colorado since they have what I believe to be stronger pediatrics programs
yep, Med/Peds :)

Help me rank for IM categorical please; going off vibes, QOL, training, goal is H/O at MD Anderson

1. BIDMC (really vibed + insane resources)
2. Vanderbilt (really vibed)
3. Mayo (mid vibe; great name though
4. Stanford (really did not vibe; felt like i was looked down upon since not Ivy)
5. Baylor (the above 4 I feel would take me places, close to home)

Thank you!
If goal is md Anderson…shouldn’t Baylor be higher?

to be honest, they haven't matched in a few years from what I've seen (none this year I believe). My vibe at the interview this year was that baylor is trying to keep residents for their own fellowships.

Last edited:

to be honest, they haven't matched in a few years from what I've seen (none this year I believe). My vibe at the interview this year was that baylor is trying to keep residents for their own fellowships. PD seemed annoyed when people asked about MD Anderson to be honest with you.
just looking at their fellow page (only had pgy-2's and pgy-3s, no 1's), looks like you just want to go to a big academic center.

OHSU (3), Duke (3), WashU (2), Baylor (2), UCLA (2), UTSW, Pennsy, Utah, McGovern, Baylor, UCSF, Vandy, Mayo, Howard, Stanford, Rochester, Penn, Cornell, Washington, BWH​

Help me rank for IM categorical please; going off vibes, QOL, training, goal is H/O at MD Anderson

1. BIDMC (really vibed + insane resources)
2. Vanderbilt (really vibed)
3. Mayo (mid vibe; great name though
4. Stanford (really did not vibe; felt like i was looked down upon since not Ivy)
5. Baylor (the above 4 I feel would take me places, close to home)

Thank you!
I'd leave as is. None of those programs will hold you back but I agree about the relatively weak Baylor-MDA connection.

Hey there!

Would really love some help on my rank list, any input would be helpful.
I am an IMG going into categorical IM.
I am hoping to get into a cardiology fellowship. QoL is also important and I guess location.

1. OHSU
2. U Illinois at Chicago
3. UT Health Houston
4. SUNY Brooklyn
5. Westchester
6. Maimonides
7. UOklahoma

Thank you!!

Hey there!

I am hoping to get into a cardiology fellowship. QoL is also important and I guess location.

1. OHSU
2. U Illinois at Chicago
3. UT Health Houston
4. SUNY Brooklyn
5. Westchester
6. Maimonides
7. UOklahoma

Thank you!!
Oklahoma should be in the top 4 on your list.

Why? Is your goal in life a complete inability to manage anything outside of a highly specific cancer state (like mid-body pancreatic cancer, but not metastatic pancreatic cancer, or cancer of the head or tail of the pancreas?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
1. Univ of Minnesota
2. Indiana Univ
3. Emory
4. Case Western
5. Univ of Utah
7. Rush
8. Mayo clinic FL
@gutonc hi Doc . What do u think of my list? Appreciate ur input!

@gutonc hi Doc . What do u think of my list? Appreciate ur input!
I'd put Utah 1 or 2 but otherwise leave it alone. Depends on whether you prefer your snow with Mormons and mountains or Presbyterians and frozen lakes.

If you were going to rank them based on "strength" then Emory/Utah/Minn would fight for the top and Indy and Case would fill out the rest of the top 5.

People who are more familiar with Chicago programs than I am would probably put Rush above UIC, but I only interviewed at UCI (15+ years ago) so can't really comment.

I'd put Utah 1 or 2 but otherwise leave it alone. Depends on whether you prefer your snow with Mormons and mountains or Presbyterians and frozen lakes.

If you were going to rank them based on "strength" then Emory/Utah/Minn would fight for the top and Indy and Case would fill out the rest of the top 5.

People who are more familiar with Chicago programs than I am would probably put Rush above UIC, but I only interviewed at UCI (15+ years ago) so can't really comment.
thanks! really helpful!

to be honest, they haven't matched in a few years from what I've seen (none this year I believe). My vibe at the interview this year was that baylor is trying to keep residents for their own fellowships. PD seemed annoyed when people asked about MD Anderson to be honest with you.
Interesting, thanks for the info!

Why? Is your goal in life a complete inability to manage anything outside of a highly specific cancer state (like mid-body pancreatic cancer, but not metastatic pancreatic cancer, or cancer of the head or tail of the pancreas?
idk tbh never thought about it that far. My goal is to treat general malignancies - have prmarily been exposed to benign heme and solid malignancy research, and solid malignancy complications. Is MDAnderson really primarily specialized to 1 cancer? The attendings I've met that work md anderson treat general malignancies an heme

Last edited:
idk tbh never thought about it that far. My goal is to treat general malignancies - have prmarily been exposed to benign heme and solid malignancy research, and solid malignancy complications. Is MDAnderson really primarily specialized to 1 cancer? The attendings I've met that work md anderson treat general malignancies an heme
Yes...MDACC, and MSKCC and DFCI and .... will make you amazingly good at managing a very small subset of cancer patients with a very small subset of cancer types. If that's you goal in life, carry on.

If you want to be a generalist, those programs are not really your best options for training.

I need some help too. I’m going to rank 14 but will only list my top 8 programs. Goals are heme onc with focus in malignant heme. Really no geo preference though I slightly prefer city to a rural location. Ready to work hard but I’m 30 so I don’t want to be beaten down too much

Kind of in order:
1) Penn
2) WashU
3) Cornell
4) Duke
5) Icahn MS main
6) Rush
7) Jeff
8) Hopkins Bayview

Really looking to compare penn v WashU and Cornell v duke. As well as rush v Jeff.
agree with order except switch Duke and Cornell - Duke is stronger program and less scut work.

1. Univ of Minnesota
2. Indiana Univ
3. Emory
4. Case Western
5. Univ of Utah
7. Rush
8. Mayo clinic FL
Emory is the strongest on the list - MN, Case, Indiana are about the same
I disagree re putting mayo FL higher than where it is - it is a small community hospital at the end of the day

1) WashU (best schedule)
5) Pitt
6) UTSW

I wouldn't put mayo above Chicago or UTSW
Duke vs WashU is up to you - where you got a better vibe.
WashU/Duke/UTSW/Chicago/Mayo/Pitt

Emory is the strongest on the list - MN, Case, Indiana are about the same
I disagree re putting mayo FL higher than where it is - it is a small community hospital at the end of the day
what do you think about Utah? is it in the same tier with Minnesota?

Hey there!

1. OHSU
2. U Illinois at Chicago
3. UT Health Houston
4. SUNY Brooklyn
5. Westchester
6. Maimonides
7. UOklahoma

Thank you!!
List looks good as it is - at least top 4 - Maimonides may be more malignant (at last from past reputation), so would keep that last IMHO and OK should be higher on your list

My best interview experience was at OHSU - seemed like very dedicated teachers - good match list and strong primary care if you want to stop there - I ended up not ranking it number 1 for other reasons and it is one of my what ifs ... LOL

Looking for strong clinical training, med-ed opportunities, and cardiology mentorship. Would prefer to stay in-house for fellowship (Ultimate goal is EP) but I know things can change. No particular geographical restrictions. Based on IV impression, reputation, mentorship, and research opportunities, I'm tentatively thinking:
  1. Vanderbilt
  2. WashU
  3. UTSW
  4. Yale
  5. Michigan
  6. Mayo
  7. Emory
Any thoughts?

Looking for strong clinical training, med-ed opportunities, and cardiology mentorship. Would prefer to stay in-house for fellowship (Ultimate goal is EP) but I know things can change. No particular geographical restrictions. Based on IV impression, reputation, mentorship, and research opportunities, I'm tentatively thinking:
  1. Vanderbilt
  2. WashU
  3. UTSW
  4. Yale
  5. Michigan
  6. Mayo
  7. Emory
Any thoughts?
Very reasonable and I probably would've ranked it about exactly the same. Nitpicking, but Michigan probably has a little better reputation than Yale for IM. Either way is definitely fine

Just curious - why down on Mayo? I have my own concerns about volume / it being a fellow driven place there.
fellow driven, less hands-on from what I have heard; also the number of cases is less from IM stand point. Education is great but medicine is learnt by doing IMHO

Last edited:
  1. Vanderbilt
  2. WashU
  3. UTSW
  4. Yale
  5. Michigan
  6. Mayo
  7. Emory
Any thoughts?
If EP is ultimate goal, then Michigan should be #2; Vandy def #1 (solid IM, cards, EP)
WashU #3
UTSW EP is ok and a mandatory research year for gen cards - something to keep in mind but solid training for IM and Cards (or at least it was when I was interviewing)
Emory above Mayo (for me) - but that's my bias from hear say :)

For med-Ed - when I was interviewing, only Vandy and Michigan had some sort of formal way of incorporating education into fellowship etc
Now WashU has a formal program as well.

another good one for Med-ed is UCSF I know it's not on your list but something to think about when applying for fellowships)

Looking for strong clinical training with fellowship mentorship in Pulm/CC. Would like to be in a city. Any guidance for the top of my rank list would be greatly appreciated!

1. Univ of Illinois Chicago
2. Hofstra NSLIJ
3. Univ of Cincinnati

(Would it be ill advised to rank Hofstra > U Cincy?)

Hello, I am ranking my programs based on hem/onc opportunities, quality of life, and proximity to home in east coast, roughly in that order.

Would appreciate help for my top programs:
1. MGH
2. BWH
3. Beth Israel
4. Other T10s-20s

I have read that BWH gives you a more humane training with better culture and less 24 hour call than MGH. Can people comment about this? I personally found the happiness and resident interactions to be better at MGH, but understand this could be sampling bias. MGH's X+Y scheduling is another plus for me.

Looking for a program to help me potentially pursue a Heme-Onc fellowship, and which also has ample med-ed opportunities. Hoping to come out clinically strong, and willing to work for it, but also wouldn't mind a nicer residency 😅. No particular geographic preference.

1. Mayo
2. CCF
3. Cornell
4. BMC
5. George Washington
6. UPMC
7. Brown
8. Jeff
9. Case Western
10. UCSD

Last edited:
If EP is ultimate goal, then Michigan should be #2; Vandy def #1 (solid IM, cards, EP)
WashU #3
UTSW EP is ok and a mandatory research year for gen cards - something to keep in mind but solid training for IM and Cards (or at least it was when I was interviewing)
Emory above Mayo (for me) - but that's my bias from hear say :)

For med-Ed - when I was interviewing, only Vandy and Michigan had some sort of formal way of incorporating education into fellowship etc
Now WashU has a formal program as well.

another good one for Med-ed is UCSF I know it's not on your list but something to think about when applying for fellowships)
Thanks for the detailed reply! I had no idea Michigan was so well regarded in EP. I was hoping to like WashU but the interview day was pretty flat.

Looking for a program to help me potentially pursue a Heme-Onc fellowship, and which also has ample med-ed opportunities. Hoping to come out clinically strong, and willing to work for it, but also wouldn't mind a nicer residency 😅. No particular geographic preference.

1. Mayo
2. CCF
3. Cornell
4. BMC
5. George Washington
6. UPMC
7. Brown
8. Jeff
9. Case Western
10. UCSD
Why so low on UPMC and UCSD? Fellowship opportunities?

1. Mayo
2. CCF
3. Cornell
4. BMC
5. George Washington
6. UPMC
7. Brown
8. Jeff
9. Case Western
10. UCSD
That's a super weird list/order IMO.
Mayo/Cornell
Pitt/UCSD
Case
BMC/Jeff/Brown
CCF/GW

That said, it's your list and your life. If that's how you liked them, then good luck and godspeed.

I'm just some rando internet d-bag so take my opinion with a grain of salt.