Official 2013-2014 Help Me Rank Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would ranking Lenox Hill over North Shore-LIJ be a terrible idea? I really want to be in the city, and am currently thinking hospitalist (or do a fellowship in geriatrics or pain & palliative care, but not cards/GI/hemeonc). I know NSLIJ is a better program, and the university site - but considering I likely won't pursue a competitive fellowship and prefer to be in the city, is ranking Lenox over NSLIJ justifiable?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Would ranking Lenox Hill over North Shore-LIJ be a terrible idea? I really want to be in the city, and am currently thinking hospitalist (or do a fellowship in geriatrics or pain & palliative care, but not cards/GI/hemeonc). I know NSLIJ is a better program, and the university site - but considering I likely won't pursue a competitive fellowship and prefer to be in the city, is ranking Lenox over NSLIJ justifiable?
No.. especially with your goals in mind. Besides, NSLIJ is totally overhyped on this board.

Both are excellent. I lived in the northeast for a while before moving Midwest and from what I felt Tufts hold better reputation in general.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My prelim list is

1. UTSW
2. OHSU
3. Case
4. BU
5. Baylor
6. UIC
7. Loyola
8. Iowa

Any input would be appreciated. Having trouble ordering #2-4. Thanks guys!

How YOU doing!??

My prelim list is

1. UTSW
2. OHSU
3. Case
4. BU
5. Baylor
6. UIC
7. Loyola
8. Iowa

2-4 looks fine. What is bothering you?

You want the rubber stamp of anonymous a-holes on a backwater message board? You have it!! :D

:thumbup:

High five!

I'm thinking about a GI fellowship. I don't have any geographical restrictions but I would prefer to be in a big city.

1. BCM- Houston
2. USC
3. UTSW
4. Montefiore
5. UNC
6. UIC

I understand UTSW is probably considered among most people a stronger program than USC, but I really liked LA over Dallas and the residents seemed a bit more laid back but they still have a comparable county experience to UTSW. Do you think I would be sacrificing too much in terms of fellowship opportunities? Also, I had trouble deciding where to rank UNC and Monte. NYC (albeit the bronx) is obviously a bigger city than chapel hill but I thought the residents at UNC seemed happier and the ancillary staff were much better.
Also, would you consider any of Jackson-Memorial, URochester, UMaryland, or Cleveland Clinic as significantly better alternatives to the ones I have listed above? Thanks!

@gutonc

Why haven't you started a sticky for these threads anyway?

Honestly, the question people should be asking here isn't "how should I rank this program vs that one?" but "How did I get this far in life without the basic ability to read or follow simple instructions?".

Does anyone have any options on Henry Ford? Especially re: reputation around the nation for fellowship placement?

I want to keep my options open for competitive fellowships including cardiology and GI, while not getting crappy primary care training (in case I ultimately decide to be an internist). It is important for me to go to a program with friendly, laid-back people. Here is my preliminary rank list in tiers (sorry, this is the best I can do at this point). Any feedback on the relative strengths/weaknesses of these programs (independent of location) would be appreciated.

1-3?. Brown, Univ of Maryland, Thomas Jefferson
4-6?. Temple, GWU, Georgetown
7-12. Other programs not worth mentioning

I am also specifically curious about why GWU and Georgetown aren't considered very strong programs on SDN. Their fellowship match rates look good, significantly better than University of Maryland in fact. GWU also is starting block scheduling, pays way better, and has a new PD who seems dynamic and personable. Is there something I'm missing here? (I found the responses to my similar question about Tufts useful, so thank you to those who replied, and I hope to similarly get more insight into GWU and Georgetown this way.)

Please help me decide, I am an IMG .
I have figured out the rest of the programs, Just confused about one : Albert Einstein- Jacobi , New York Vs Cook County, Chicago ?
Some Insights which one to rank high .
How do both stand reputation wise ?

Members don't see this ad :)
My prelim list is

1. UTSW
2. OHSU
3. Case
4. BU
5. Baylor
6. UIC
7. Loyola
8. Iowa

Iowa looks low, geography aside. Otherwise all looks sane and reasonable.

Here's my list. Considering fellowships like GI, hem-onc, endocrine but also open to hospitalist

Wright state university- has GI fellowship and hem-onc program
Summa health-nice program and faculty
Akron general- strong fellowship placement over two years
Christiana care-great pathology
St. Joseph mercy- Ann Arbor
Gunderson Lutheran
St Luke's university

Any input is appreciated

Last edited:
Temple vs Jefferson

LIJ vs University of Florida

any thoughts on ranking these two pairs?

Here's my list. Considering fellowships like GI, hem-onc, endocrine but also open to hospitalist

Wright state university- has GI fellowship and hem-onc program
Summa health-nice program and faculty
Akron general- strong fellowship placement over two years
Christiana care-great pathology
St. Joseph mercy- Ann Arbor
Gunderson Lutheran
St Luke's university

Any input is appreciated

Wright State resident here. Obviously I'm a little biased ;-) Good experiences so far.

Interviewed at Summa and AGMC. Liked Summa. I don't think I have any input for AGMC...

Good morning all. My numbers 1 and 2 are set. I am having a fair degree of trouble with 3, 4 & 5. They are BIDMC,
Mt Sinai and Northwestern. I liked all three very much during interviews. Pretty hard to distinguish among them based on 1.5 days of exposure. Geography is not a factor. That leaves reputation, autonomy and "intangibles." Is this a flip a (three sided) coin situation or can any of you all think of anything that would suggest one clearly should be out front or in the rear? Thinking of either pulm/cc or Gastro for future fellowship. Many thanks and best of luck to fellow applicants.

Any thoughts on these programs? Planning to go into Hem/Onc

U Arizona
U Conn
Methodist, Houston
SUNY Upstate
U Oklahoma
Einstein/Jacobi

Here is my rank list but still undecided on top 4. Interested in heme/onc, family in NY, girlfriend in LA.
1. UCLA
2. Yale
3. NYU
4. UW
5. UPMC
6. WashU
7. UCSD
8. Cedars
9. Scripps
10. Georgetown
11. U of C
12. Tufts
13. UCI

Here is my rank list but still undecided on top 4. Interested in heme/onc, family in NY, girlfriend in LA.
1. UCLA
2. Yale
3. NYU
4. UW
5. UPMC
6. WashU
7. UCSD
8. Cedars
9. Scripps
10. Georgetown
11. U of C
12. Tufts
13. UCI

seems reasonable enough. personals aside, i'd put UCLA/UW then Yale/NYU then WashU. if you're in it to win it with your gf in LA, UCSD really is a fairly short drive away and could/should go higher.

In terms of heme onc, is cedars or scripps green better for experience? I've heard that cedars gives mediocre heme/onc experience from one of their residents. How is scripps green?

My list, interested in fellowship, maybe ID but that could easily change, don't really want to be in NYC (hence Columbia being lower on the list). I keep switching between my top 2 and 3-6.
1. Yale
2. UVA
3. UNC
4. Colorado
5. Columbia
6. NYU
7. Georgetown
8. BU

My list, interested in fellowship, maybe ID but that could easily change, don't really want to be in NYC (hence Columbia being lower on the list). I keep switching between my top 2 and 3-6.
1. Yale
2. UVA
3. UNC
4. Colorado
5. Columbia
6. NYU
7. Georgetown
8. BU

Lots of nice options here. And loving the Colorado randomness.
Columbia would be best overall, but it's NYC which you've already decided you're not nuts about. My understanding is that the Yale culture is pretty much Diet NYC without the hassle of NYC, so as along as you're okay with that, it's a great call in otherwise keeping your future options as open as possible. Frankly, I feel the other 6 are a slight tier or so below Yale.
If you do indeed choose ID, you should have no problems coming from any of the above. But people change their minds ALL the time.

Good morning all. My numbers 1 and 2 are set. I am having a fair degree of trouble with 3, 4 & 5. They are BIDMC,
Mt Sinai and Northwestern. I liked all three very much during interviews. Pretty hard to distinguish among them based on 1.5 days of exposure. Geography is not a factor. That leaves reputation, autonomy and "intangibles." Is this a flip a (three sided) coin situation or can any of you all think of anything that would suggest one clearly should be out front or in the rear? Thinking of either pulm/cc or Gastro for future fellowship. Many thanks and best of luck to fellow applicants.
Any thoughts?

Preface: I really enjoyed many of my visits and feel incredibly fortunate to have been able to visit many of these programs. This also means that I am having a very difficult time prioritizing. Additionally, I am couple's matching, and therefore paying a lot of attention to programs past my "top 3".

Please help with the following 2 comparisons from the perspective of someone going into cardiology:

Comparison #1:
- UCSF: excellent patient diversity, strong tradition for general internal medicine training, close to family, but less-cards focused
- Hopkins: really resonated with the residents, like the q5 o/n call, excited for early autonomy, stronger in-house cardiology, less driving around, renovating medicine wards, switching to 6+2, attracted to the rich history, don't mind B'more

Comparison #2: Wash U, U-Mich, Columbia, UW
- Wash U: excellent program as a whole, but hand-written notes and so-so location
- UW: great clinical diversity, other half of my couple's match loved it, although less-fellowship oriented, lots of driving around
- U-Mich: also strong program, liked the people, like AA
- Columbia: excellent cardiology, +'s and -'s of NYC; reputation of ancillary services is a big (-)

I know I will end up being very happy with any of these and take solace in the fact that any of my top 10 choices will yield a very fruitful residency experience. Still, NRMP requires a preferential ordering, and I could really use some help.

Thank you and best of luck!

Hey I'm a UCSF R3. Happy to answer any questions about the program if you PM me. However, I would say just from looking at your top comparison, if the Hopkins residents really resonated with you, that may be the better choice for you. I think of the programs and the residents they produce as very different, mostly based on interaction with fellows that come from Hopkins, but I can really only speak to my experiences at UCSF. We certainly place a lot more focus on general and hospital medicine and are a very resident run program. I also think we have a lot of autonomy, particularly at the county and VA hospital where attendings are very hands off and frequently take days off where they don't even round, and we have much less need of consultants. As the senior resident you are kinda the boss.

hey guys, any thoughts on (I want to do Hem/Onc)
metrohealth vs MCW?
lehigh vs UM (west palm beach)?
rutgers (NJMS) vs U of A vs West Virginia?
Jewish Hospital in cinci?
rochester gral?
Thank u!

Please help me rank the middle of my program list. What is the relative strength of these programs if you had to rank them?

Case Western Reserve Univ: didn't like Cleveland, pretty good fellowship match
Rutgers NJMS: love proximity to NYC, really clicked with residents, heard bad stories about residents doing lots of transport/IVs?
Univ of Illinois at Chicago: mixed feelings, overall good AM report, heavy volumes program, but not sure about overall reputation
Penn State: didn't like Hershey
Univ of Maryland: pretty strong fellowship match, didn't click with residents
Univ of Tennessee Memphis: not that impressed with AM report

I am having some trouble with a few aspects of my rank order list, and I was wondering if I could get some help. Just some information up front for a preface: I am very interested in a cardiology fellowship, my number 1 is set, my numbers 2-6 are sort of up in the air, and my numbers 7-15 are also pretty much up in the air. Also, I have my own ideas about location, how I feel about the residents, gut feeling, etc, but I would like your opinions to be mostly based on merit, a future cardiology fellowship, and maybe other intangibles that you guys might have experience with. I will list my programs in a preliminary order.

1 = Johns Hopkins Osler

2-6:
UMich
Mt. Sinai
UCLA
BIDMC
WashU St. Louis

7-15:
Mayo Clinic
NYU
Cleveland Clinic
Brown
Case Western Reserve
Johns Hopkins Bayview
Georgetown
Jefferson
Drexel

Thanks for the help!

Please help me rank the middle of my program list. What is the relative strength of these programs if you had to rank them?

Case Western Reserve Univ: didn't like Cleveland, pretty good fellowship match
Rutgers NJMS: love proximity to NYC, really clicked with residents, heard bad stories about residents doing lots of transport/IVs?
Univ of Illinois at Chicago: mixed feelings, overall good AM report, heavy volumes program, but not sure about overall reputation
Penn State: didn't like Hershey
Univ of Maryland: pretty strong fellowship match, didn't click with residents
Univ of Tennessee Memphis: not that impressed with AM report
UMD
Case
UIC
NJMS = Penn State = UTM (choose by location if you want)

Any thoughts?

The current year not withstanding, GI is generally the more competitive program between GI and Pulm/CC. In that case, I'd put Mt. Sinai above Northwestern or BIDMC.

I am having some trouble with a few aspects of my rank order list, and I was wondering if I could get some help. Just some information up front for a preface: I am very interested in a cardiology fellowship, my number 1 is set, my numbers 2-6 are sort of up in the air, and my numbers 7-15 are also pretty much up in the air. Also, I have my own ideas about location, how I feel about the residents, gut feeling, etc, but I would like your opinions to be mostly based on merit, a future cardiology fellowship, and maybe other intangibles that you guys might have experience with. I will list my programs in a preliminary order.

1 = Johns Hopkins Osler

2-6:
UMich
Mt. Sinai
UCLA
BIDMC
WashU St. Louis

7-15:
Mayo Clinic
NYU
Cleveland Clinic
Brown
Case Western Reserve
Johns Hopkins Bayview
Georgetown
Jefferson
Drexel

Thanks for the help!

If you dont get hopkins, you will likely get Michigan. Your 2-6 looks fine, and 7-15 will be irrelevant.

My top three are super reaches (MGH, UCSF, UWash). How should I rank the following. I've heard not-so-great things about BID/Yale hence putting them last but these may just be rumors and I wouldn't mind putting them higher. I would prefer a bigger city but it's not terribly important. Interested in cards/GI/pulm and want to go somewhere that will set me up best for fellowship/academic career.

UTSW
Vandy
WashU
BIDMC
Yale

Please help me ranking these programs.

Albany medical Center
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
William Beaumont Hospital
SUNY Upstate University
Michigan State University
Umiami at Palm beach regional compus
UIC at Peoria
Creighton University
St John Medical Center, Detroit, MI
Staten Island university Hospital, Staten Island, NY

I am a foreign grad. Any thoughts??? Thanks

My top three are super reaches (MGH, UCSF, UWash). How should I rank the following. I've heard not-so-great things about BID/Yale hence putting them last but these may just be rumors and I wouldn't mind putting them higher. I would prefer a bigger city but it's not terribly important. Interested in cards/GI/pulm and want to go somewhere that will set me up best for fellowship/academic career.

UTSW
Vandy
WashU
BIDMC
Yale

Just a fellow applicant here, but if you interviewed at MGH and UCSF along with the rest of your list....your top 3 probably aren't super reaches. Congrats on a great list.

UTSW
Vandy
WashU
BIDMC
Yale

You'll never get to cards/GI/pulm from any of those. I hope you like hospitalist work or primary care.

You'll never get to cards/GI/pulm from any of those. I hope you like hospitalist work or primary care.

I don't know why people bother ranking anything except MGH and UCSF. I'd rather scramble into McDonalds than go to any of those other places.

I'm having a lot of trouble ranking the middle of my list.
Interested in GI and have no geographic restrictions - I pretty much want to go to the residency that will give me the best shot for a GI fellowship:

UW Madison, UCSD, Cedars Sinai, Case Western

Interested in GI and have no geographic restrictions - I pretty much want to go to the residency that will give me the best shot for a GI fellowship:

fellow applicant here....can't speak for your other programs, but UCSD was one of my favorite programs and per my home institution's GI fellowship director, UCSD has a really solid GI program if you would want to stay there. They have a new GI chief they got from Mayo that came over there about 2-3 yrs ago and he's apparently a big deal. that's all i have to offer.

Madison~UCSD (most people would choose UCSD for location, I'd choose Madison for the PD and other reasons but there's no dramatic difference between them)
Case
Cedars

Madison~UCSD (most people would choose UCSD for location, I'd choose Madison for the PD and other reasons but there's no dramatic difference between them)
Case
Cedars

The caveat, and this would be you could go for a cedars spot and just gun super hard for one of their in-house spots. Last I heard, they do give reasonable deference to in-house candidates.

Though.

I've never appreciated this strategy very much, and I'm mildly loathe to recommend it.

Yale PC, Jefferson, Georgetown

can't decide! need help! i am thinking hospitalist or endocrinology or rheumatology

if you already know that you don't want to do primary care why would you rank a primary care program first? why did you even apply?

Status
Not open for further replies.