Official 2012 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amavir281

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw that there was a similar thread for 2011 that had plenty of useful info so I figured its best to start one for 2012. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you say that? We are all invested to some degree in Phlostons success.

i thought that he had some good advice regardless. hopefully it worked out for him on the real deal but it seems he did pretty good on the NBME exams and question banks etc. if that's considered to be valuable/predictive and representative of the real deal shouldn't people look at his averages on the many NBME/Qbanks to assess the 'quality' of his advice? it's strange to see how people feel some sort of entitlement about knowing what he got. i understand that people want to know if his advice is 'worthy' but seriously... we all have to do what works for us individually, and he was nice enough to share what was working for him so we have to try it and appraise it for ourselves either way. by sharing his scores from his NBME/qbanks/etc. isn't that good enough? there will either be people that hate on him for his score, ridiculing him for preparing the way he did... then there will be people who praise him for how awesome and smart he is... but those divisions already exist, he might as well make a new group of people that hate him for not telling them his USMLE score.
i don't see anything good out of him sharing his score... if anything, it is probably for the best that he keeps it to himself.
my two cents, if i had to guess though, i'm putting my money on 268.

"it's strange to see how people feel some sort of entitlement about knowing what he got."
"by sharing his scores from his NBME/qbanks/etc. isn't that good enough?"
"i don't see anything good out of him sharing his score... if anything, it is probably for the best that he keeps it to himself".

If the Practice NBMEs were good enough for you, and you don't see anything good coming from him sharing his score, the why are you returning to this thread? Guess it wasn't good enough for you...

NBME5 = 257 (1.5 months-out)
NBME6 = 252 (12 days-out)
NBME7 = 254 (11 days)
Got over the jetlag....
Free-150 = ~95% = 268 +/- 11
NBME13 = 264 (8 days)
NBME12 = 266 (6 days)
NBME11 = 264 (4 days; today)

Based upon his averages (and I think the Free 150 inflates a good bit), he's looking at about a 260 +/- 6 points, which is the standard error. So 254-266 most likely.

Members don't see this ad :)
i've read parts of this thread because i'm interested in the progression, experience, and reflection that people have to share in regards to their USMLE experience, not their score. but you are right, i was curious to see if he had posted his score, but mostly because if he hadn't then i really hope he doesn't.

2cool4medschool, I guess I'm having trouble understanding why you did come back, since on numberous occassions he has said he will post his score. I don't see how him posting his score affects him or anyone in a negative manner... we might all need some positive reinforcement day to day getting ready for this test. Maybe people will hate, but haters gonna hate, right?

i've read parts of this thread because i'm interested in the progression, experience, and reflection that people have to share in regards to their . USMLE experience, not their score. but you are right, i was curious to see if he had posted his score, but mostly because if he hadn't then i really hope he doesn't.

I just lol'ed. Is this a serious statement?

i've read parts of this thread because i'm interested in the progression, experience, and reflection that people have to share in regards to their USMLE experience, not their score. but you are right, i was curious to see if he had posted his score, but mostly because if he hadn't then i really hope he doesn't.

How does it affect your life in any way if he posts his score?

It's useful to see people's scores to see if their study strategy was effective or not.

10:16am in australia right now...i'm sure he'll get his score by 11am...if not, then no idea.

Phloston, once you get your 280 I think you should not go into practice but become the next guru of Step 1. Become like the next Goljan/Pathoma but of all Step 1 prep, not just path. There is a big market for that and I have never seen anyone so passionate about this test as you.

Phlostonoma the Step 1 program + study plan?

100 hrs of video and the Phloston Speedy Pathadenoma Book for $200 per year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great Caesar's Ghost! It's been a rollercoaster in here. And I thought I was the only one who accidentally remembered it's been four weeks since his exam. Not bad at all!

My heart raced a little as I loaded the ECFMG page just now and it finally said "updated as of 09 Jan 2013." But the score report still isn't available.

A bit absurd to think that this is actually going to take FIVE Wednesdays.

My advice for anyone out there is NOT to arrange your post-test wait period over the holidays / New Year.

I wouldn't be surprised that he probably scored sooo high that ECFMG is probably requesting a re-score. :D

My heart raced a little as I loaded the ECFMG page just now and it finally said "updated as of 09 Jan 2013." But the score report still isn't available.

My advice for anyone out there is NOT to arrange your post-test wait period over the holidays / New Year.

Give ECFMG a call.

Scores just release on Wed between 9AM to 5PM EST but doesn't depend on ECFMG updated date. Before i saw results out even ECFMG page not updated to Wednesday date.

I think due to holiday season USMLE is taking 4 Wednesdays this time.GL

Other Reason (Not Sure): I imagine you scored between 270-290. USMLE need more time and cross check scales if students get unusual high scores. I read somewhere over usmle website that scores may be delayed due to various reasons and one reason out of this is unusual scores. Hope you got 290:)

Last edited:
still haven't gotten my score yet (took exam on december 12th). How late do they go in releasing scores during the day?

I took my test Dec 28, I should be expecting the score as from next week.

I am guessing, it's for the reason that you scored really high.. :)

they probably thought he cheated. His exam is under official review.

You're free to speculate on that, but there have been known cases of the NBME investigating scores that were suspiciously high and they contact the examinee and let them know that an investigation is underway. It takes months to complete.

In this situation, it is far more likely that...

1. Since Phloston took the exam right before a holiday, there is an unpredictable schedule for score releases
2. Since Phloston is working through ECFMG, that can make score reporting funky

I know some friends who gave exam on the day of Pholston and they are also still waiting for results.

In Phloston case only 2 causes for delay in score reporting

1. Due to holiday season ( Christmas+New year) score reporting is delayed
2. Phloston may have crossed huge score and NBME is investigating the case ( In this case they may contact him)

I vote for number 1 option above and wish him 250+

You're free to speculate on that, but there have been known cases of the NBME investigating scores that were suspiciously high and they contact the examinee and let them know that an investigation is underway. It takes months to complete.

1. Since Phloston took the exam right before a holiday, there is an unpredictable schedule for score releases

Good to know that was realistic. I was actually just playing along.

wow, do you know how high is "suspiciously high"?

wow, do you know how high is "suspiciously high"?

Apparently someone got a letter from the NBME once telling them that they got every pediatrics question correct on Step 2, and that had never happened before so the NBME investigated it. Almost delayed the kid's graduation. Not sure what the actual score was.

Good luck to those of you waiting for your scores. For those of you who, like me, were reading these posts freaking out before your tests, get off this website! It will only make you feel terrible (and trust me, there really aren't that many people who score above 250 on this test). Here's some tips from somebody who made it through alive and lived to tell the tale:) Hope this helps!

http://stanfordmedstudent.blogspot.com/2011/06/10-steps-to-survive-studying-for-usmle.html

If we add above correct answers which you are almost sure then it comes to 213 out of 322. So they count to 213/322x100=66% roughly.

It means 66% of your answers are almost correct.

Next out of remaining 109 qs remaining (322-213=109) , you may get at least 25-30% correct i.e average 25qs ( may be wild or educated guess)

So now add above 213 correct answers + 25 guessed answers , it together comes to 238/322 . So you may get 238 correct answers roughly out of 322. It means 238/322x100=73% roughly.

This is raw score 238 and raw percentage 73%. Once they get scaled you may get 3 digit score . Basically answering 65% average correct answers =188 (PASS). But in your case it comes to roughly 73%.

So you may get close to 205+ 5 or 205-5 so around 200-210

Based on my analysis ( with your feedback) i guess your score to be between 200-210. Lets wait for 3 weeks how my analysis comes true. This is purely roughly estimation and that too based on your feedback of correct answers in 7 blocks...If you lucky enough in getting more correct answers in guessed qs out of 109qs then your score may add up to 220 roughly.

Bottom line: Your estimated score will be between 200-210 based on your feedback of raw score.thanks

UPDATE: My estimated score with above experience got correct. he got 199, disappointed but good luck with step-2 ck

To get 235 to 245 scaled score we need at least 274 correct (raw) out of 322 which is 85% correct

To get 235 to 245 scaled score we need at least 274 correct (raw) out of 322 which is 85% correct
Are u positive about this?? How do u guys know this?? I read that the mean on step 1 is around 230 wid a S.D. of 20.. So is it possible that most people taking step 1 get about 80% of the questions correct??(i.e. a raw score of about 258)

Are u positive about this?? How do u guys know this?? I read that the mean on step 1 is around 230 wid a S.D. of 20.. So is it possible that most people taking step 1 get about 80% of the questions correct??(i.e. a raw score of about 258)

No he isn't positive. No one knows this except the NBME

85% correct answers definitely get you over 240+ and i made this statement after analyzing a lot.

Example: My estimated score was 200-210 and it was correct in one case. He got 199 so my estimated score 200 matched.

Check this link about that guy score http://forums.studentdoctor.net/show...7#post14331997