Obamacare is a Complete Failure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Regardless of anything directly related to medicine the law has been an absolute disaster for people who work one or more part-time jobs who have seen their hours cut or have been on the butt-end of hiring freezes.
Unemployment rate is at a 6 year low. I'm not saying that some part-timers haven't had to deal with some bad side effects of the law, but overall there are more jobs available now and real median household income has slowly started to rise from 2011 to 2014

Members don't see this ad.

Unemployment rate is at a 6 year low. I'm not saying that some part-timers haven't had to deal with some bad side effects of the law, but overall there are more jobs available now and real median household income has slowly started to rise from 2011 to 2014

Part-time jobs have grown while full-time positions and pay have remained stagnant, all while part-time positions have been strangled by burdensome regulations. These side-effects have harmed part-time workers far more than the benefits of the law have helped, which is terrible considering many aspects of the law we're aimed to those workers not receiving benefits due to part-time status.

Also, we all know the unemployment rate is a product of heavily cooked books, particularly when it ceases to count those who see no longer actively seeking employment or have moved onto disability (which is also at record highs).

Part-time jobs have grown while full-time positions and pay have remained stagnant, all while part-time positions have been strangled by burdensome regulations. These side-effects have harmed part-time workers far more than the benefits of the law have helped, which is terrible considering many aspects of the law we're aimed to those workers not receiving benefits due to part-time status.

Also, we all know the unemployment rate is a product of heavily cooked books, particularly when it ceases to count those who see no longer actively seeking employment or have moved onto disability (which is also at record highs).
These are some broad statements. First, both full and part-time position availability has increased, though they couldn't have gotten much worse after the 2008 crash. "Burdensome regulations" is vague to put it lightly and a phrase I hear a lot from a particularly polarized part of the political spectrum. I just recently finished a job search and had two part time job offers prior to landing a full time offer all in a matter of 3 weeks. Maybe my experience isn't common, but that was my experience.
As far as "cooking books", the unemployment rate has never included people not looking for work. In fact, it's a sign of a healing economy when people start to return to the workforce after being one of the "uncounted ones". That was the case last month, even though we added over 250,000 jobs, the unemployment rate went up due to people returning to the hunt. Not sure what sort of book-cooker would do that.
As far as disability, that a simple result of our aging population (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5206a2.htm). The older the population, the more disability claims you will see. People are working later into life due to the 2008 disaster. And it's not like the folks that are feeding you this BS about how the ACA is causing all of the problems in the world don't know everything I'm telling you, it's just that it's so damn easy for them to twist the facts and blame the ACA.

Members don't see this ad :)
But it's a simple fact that ACA has led to many part-time workers getting their job hours cut due to regulations that did not previously exist, thus harming the very people the law sought to help. This in turn forces many of these workers to take on additional (second but more likely third) jobs, accounting for a portion of recent hiring.

But it's a simple fact that ACA has led to many part-time workers getting their job hours cut due to regulations that did not previously exist, thus harming the very people the law sought to help. This in turn forces many of these workers to take on additional (second but more likely third) jobs, accounting for a portion of recent hiring.

Numbers?

Numbers are overrated when you're living it yourself.

man wtf i wish i could just win the lotto or something

Reactions: 1 user
Ed tom bell you sound like a political spokesman. Your statements are technically correct but they do nothing to look at the reality of the situation. Unemployment may be down but that's because of how unemployment is defined and it's due to people leaving the workforce and the proliferation of crappy entry level jobs that many people are overqualified for. Insurance coverage may have went up but that's very different from access to healthcare. You should look at what those plans actually cost and how little they offer for the price. Of course you will have people buying crappy plans when they are being coerced into it by having to pay a hefty fine otherwise. And a lot of people were forced to do that after losing coverage for whatever reason, even if it wasn't officially for a preexisting condition

The difference between real doctors and everyone else is that we actually think about things. You don't just look at the numbers and say oh it looks fine so everything is okay. You have to analyze and think about whether or not that makes sense. For example, if you have a person with copd who is having respiratory distress and you take a blood gas. their co2 was low and now it's going towards 40. Most people would look at the numbers and be like oh it's normalizing it must be okay when normalization is actually a bad thing and they might be heading towards the icu. You gotta use your brain, not just read their statements and parrot them while feeling superior to people who don't agree with you

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
ohhh yeah. I remember people all over Fox News saying how premiums would double or even triple this year....and they didn't. Oh, and that nobody would sign up...and they did. Oh, and the people wouldn't pay after they signed up...and they did that too. OH! And DEATH PANELS!!! That one was my absolute favorite. Look out for them! Lot of good laughs there.
Let's take a look see at what you spend your time reading, Mr. Jack. Washington Times, CNS News, and Forbes!!!! Why don't you just stand in front of a confederate flag with your 3-point hat and an assault weapon?? I mean, if it quacks like a elephant.
Finally, at least read the posts on the thread you started. Another person already explained what everybody who isn't dedicated to ignorance already knows, even with the increased copays, the actual out of pocket expense increased by the smallest amount in decades. You're clinging man. Sorry to hear about your test, that really sucks (really). And least be comforted by the fact that premiums will not explode.

Premiums have increased quite a bit, and people have to sign up, it's called a mandate.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok, so anything a company does that you don't like, they can just blame the government and you buy it? So maybe you can explain why US corporate profits are at an all time high? Maybe it's all of those burdensome regulations that are driving profits higher? Explain this to me please.

Last edited:
Ed tom bell you sound like a political spokesman. Your statements are technically correct but they do nothing to look at the reality of the situation. Unemployment may be down but that's because of how unemployment is defined and it's due to people leaving the workforce and the proliferation of crappy entry level jobs that many people are overqualified for. Insurance coverage may have went up but that's very different from access to healthcare. You should look at what those plans actually cost and how little they offer for the price. Of course you will have people buying crappy plans when they are being coerced into it by having to pay a hefty fine otherwise. And a lot of people were forced to do that after losing coverage for whatever reason, even if it wasn't officially for a preexisting condition

The difference between real doctors and everyone else is that we actually think about things. You don't just look at the numbers and say oh it looks fine so everything is okay. You have to analyze and think about whether or not that makes sense. For example, if you have a person with copd who is having respiratory distress and you take a blood gas. their co2 was low and now it's going towards 40. Most people would look at the numbers and be like oh it's normalizing it must be okay when normalization is actually a bad thing and they might be heading towards the icu. You gotta use your brain, not just read their statements and parrot them while feeling superior to people who don't agree with you
Psai.. No. I'm just a guy that worked in the insurance industry for over 15 years as a management consultant, spent 3 years of my life living and volunteering overseas (which gives me some perspective that you might not find in somebody that has been either in diapers or school their entire life), I also have an MBA with a concentration in Healthcare Administration. So, please, yes, as a medical student, tell how you smart people think. I'm intrigued.
Here's the bottom line you, like so many others, look at everything that is wrong with the current state of the health insurance and healthcare industry and blame the ACA. If you think things were better pre ACA, then you have a catastrophic lack of historical perspective.
I do believe that you are doing some of your own thinking, just try thinking harder.

Premiums have increased quite a bit, and people have to sign up, it's called a mandate.
Premiums have increased at less than historical rates!! 10% increases year over year have been the norm for 2 decades! This is like arguing with climate deniers. Every time you have a conversation with one, you have to start from square 1. And yes, people have to sign up. Maybe you'd rather pay for everybody else's ER visits? That's the better plan in your opinion? Hell, let's just get rid of car insurance and we can all start paying for uninsured drivers too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the bottom line friends, you can throw all of this crap at me, but all I keep seeing is you complaining about things that have always been the case in the US Healthcare system (even since some of you were in diapers) and then blaming it on a piece of legislation that was passed a few years ago. If you really want to go back to the days of people getting kicked of their health insurance because they got sick and people being denied coverage (for the rest of their lives) due to preexisting conditions, then that's the person you are and i'm not going to change your mind. But, please, if you're going to criticize the ACA, at least do a little homework and gain some historical perspective. Most of what you are blaming it for is nothing new, and a lot of really awful things that we all used to complain about are no longer legal. AND, yes "it's called a mandate", but a hell of a lot more people are covered and, believe it or not, have access to healthcare.

Reactions: 1 users
Psai.. No. I'm just a guy that worked in the insurance industry for over 15 years as a management consultant, spent 3 years of my life living and volunteering overseas (which gives me some perspective that you might not find in somebody that has been either in diapers or school their entire life), I also have an MBA with a concentration in Healthcare Administration. So, please, yes, as a medical student, tell how you smart people think. I'm intrigued.
Here's the bottom line you, like so many others, look at everything that is wrong with the current state of the health insurance and healthcare industry and blame the ACA. If you think things were better pre ACA, then you have a catastrophic lack of historical perspective.
I do believe that you are doing some of your own thinking, just try thinking harder.

So what you're saying is that you have all this experience and no one ever took the time to teach you how to think for yourself

Healthcare access goes down when people can't afford to be treated. Having insurance coverage means nothing when your insurance sucks. Medicaid is being expanded but no one takes it because it doesn't pay the bills

Here's the bottom line friends, you can throw all of this crap at me, but all I keep seeing is you complaining about things that have always been the case in the US Healthcare system (even since some of you were in diapers) and then blaming it on a piece of legislation that was passed a few years ago. If you really want to go back to the days of people getting kicked of their health insurance because they got sick and people being denied coverage (for the rest of their lives) due to preexisting conditions, then that's the person you are and i'm not going to change your mind. But, please, if you're going to criticize the ACA, at least do a little homework and gain some historical perspective. Most of what you are blaming it for is nothing new, and a lot of really awful things that we all used to complain about are no longer legal. AND, yes "it's called a mandate", but a hell of a lot more people are covered and, believe it or not, have access to healthcare.

Bottom line for me (medical student who regularly discusses these issues with real physicians) is this: ACA took the most expensive aspects of healthcare... and expanded their scope. Namely scope of insurance, paperwork/metrics, and centralization of services that are cheaper delivered in outpatient settings (primary care delivered through hospitals and ERs now). Now there are additional proposals to introduce wage lowering penalties on physicians in the name of "quality healthcare outcome" metrics. These measures shift the burden of personal health responsibility from the individual to the physician, which is grossly inappropriate in every way. These measures can not increase a physicians pay, they can only decrease it.

The above mechanisms are exactly how you create a 2 tiered system. Drive physicians to leave insurance-based care for cash based practice all while continuing to approve independent practice rights for unqualified, undertrained midlevels (last I heard chiropractors are now lobbying for prescription rights. No I'm not kidding. Wouldn't even be that surprised to see it become a reality as things continue to deteriorate).

So what you're saying is that you have all this experience and no one ever took the time to teach you how to think for yourself

Healthcare access goes down when people can't afford to be treated. Having insurance coverage means nothing when your insurance sucks. Medicaid is being expanded but no one takes it because it doesn't pay the bills
Man, are you even trying? "Healthcare access goes down when people can't afford to be treated." Use your grown up words and do some research. Here, I'll even help you out (http://www.factcheck.org/2014/02/aca-impact-on-per-capita-cost-of-health-care/).
"Having insurance means nothing when your healthcare sucks". If you're not even going to put an effort into this debate, why post anything at all? You call this "thinking for yourself"? You provided some really solid data points there, Psai!!
And, finally, for the love of all that is good in the world, providers accepting medicaid has ALWAYS been an issue. Again, NOTHING new. I worked at 220 bed nursing home running a business office from 1997-1999 and that was one of their biggest challenges.

Bottom line for me (medical student who regularly discusses these issues with real physicians) is this: ACA took the most expensive aspects of healthcare... and expanded their scope. Namely scope of insurance, paperwork/metrics, and centralization of services that are cheaper delivered in outpatient settings (primary care delivered through hospitals and ERs now). Now there are additional proposals to introduce wage lowering penalties on physicians in the name of "quality healthcare outcome" metrics. These measures shift the burden of personal health responsibility from the individual to the physician, which is grossly inappropriate in every way. These measures can not increase a physicians pay, they can only decrease it.

The above mechanisms are exactly how you create a 2 tiered system. Drive physicians to leave insurance-based care for cash based practice all while continuing to approve independent practice rights for unqualified, undertrained midlevels (last I heard chiropractors are now lobbying for prescription rights. No I'm not kidding. Wouldn't even be that surprised to see it become a reality as things continue to deteriorate).
See everybody. THIS is how you debate. I need to run to an interview now, but will be back tonight. Thank you ajh1983 for the substantive input.

Ok, so anything a company does that you don't like, they can just blame the government and you buy it? So maybe you can explain why US corporate profits are at an all time high? Maybe it's all of those burdensome regulations that are driving profits higher? Explain this to me please.

A rule didn't exist before the law, and now it's restraining me and causing me serious financial harm as a direct result of specific provisions in the law. I don't see why I should blame anything else, particularly as I work for a very large public non-profit.

Also you're terrible at debate. That quip about corporate profits is a complete non-sequitur and is a ridiculously large generalization.

A rule didn't exist before the law, and now it's restraining me and causing me serious financial harm as a direct result of specific provisions in the law. I don't see why I should blame anything else, particularly as I work for a very large public non-profit.

Also you're terrible at debate. That quip about corporate profits is a complete non-sequitur and is a ridiculously large generalization.
Cidem, do you know what non-sequitur means? It means irrelevant. You claim that companies are being forced to cut part time employees hours because of a specific provision in the law. Of course, nobody is forcing the companies to cut hours, the companies are opting to cut hours as a cost saving action. If US companies were currently struggling, I might agree with you, but they are not. Their decisions are simply bottom line based and, importantly, completely their own. Nobody is forcing them to make cuts and their profits are, on average, higher than ever. So, they crunch the numbers, see that they can improve their bottom line by making cuts and have the added protection of being able to blame it all on the ACA. From an exec standpoint, it's a win win. They get exactly what they want while screwing their employees and blaming somebody else. Again, if US corporation were not seeing record profits year over year, I might agree with you, but the argument that ACA has somehow forced them to make the human resource decisions they have is laughably transparent.

Cidem, do you know what non-sequitur means? It means irrelevant. You claim that companies are being forced to cut part time employees hours because of a specific provision in the law. Of course, nobody is forcing the companies to cut hours, the companies are opting to cut hours as a cost saving action. If US companies were currently struggling, I might agree with you, but they are not. Their decisions are simply bottom line based and, importantly, completely their own. Nobody is forcing them to make cuts and their profits are, on average, higher than ever. So, they crunch the numbers, see that they can improve their bottom line by making cuts and have the added protection of being able to blame it all on the ACA. From an exec standpoint, it's a win win. They get exactly what they want while screwing their employees and blaming somebody else. Again, if US corporation were not seeing record profits year over year, I might agree with you, but the argument that ACA has somehow forced them to make the human resource decisions they have is laughably transparent.

Why are you so tied to these blanket statements? As if all companies are making record profits? As if abiding by these strangling ACA regulations (particularly the 30 hour rule) won't turn them from profitable to insolvent? This has literally nothing to do with this, particularly as I work for a public non-profit.

You completely ignore that work hours were not an issue until the law, and as a direct effect of the law they've been cut in half for me and many other people.

Why are you so tied to these blanket statements? As if all companies are making record profits? As if abiding by these strangling ACA regulations (particularly the 30 hour rule) won't turn them from profitable to insolvent? This has literally nothing to do with this, particularly as I work for a public non-profit.

You completely ignore that work hours were not an issue until the law, and as a direct effect of the law they've been cut in half for me and many other people.
Oh, man, you are a beauty. The whole premise of your comment is based on the lie that I am saying "all companies are making record profits". Which, of course, I never said (in other words, you need to brush up on your debate skills). What i said is that, on average, US companies profits have been at record levels, which is 100% true. If you think decisions around the 30 hour rule are what is saving companies from financial catastrophe and delivering them to record profits, I have a bridge to sell you. Finally, you completely ignore that fact that available work hours (and jobs) have increased since the law was passed. Unemployment is down. The number of people opting to not look for work is also down. How do you reconcile all of this, Cidem?

Oh, man, you are a beauty. The whole premise of your comment is based on the lie that I am saying "all companies are making record profits". Which, of course, I never said (in other words, you need to brush up on your debate skills). What i said is that, on average, US companies profits have been at record levels, which is 100% true. If you think decisions around the 30 hour rule are what is saving companies from financial catastrophe and delivering them to record profits, I have a bridge to sell you. Finally, you completely ignore that fact that available work hours (and jobs) have increased since the law was passed. Unemployment is down. The number of people opting to not look for work is also down. How do you reconcile all of this, Cidem?

Why are you interested in classifying everyone's debate skills? You seem very insecure.

You spout off all these macro-level concepts and attempt to change the subject but the heart of the matter is I was better off before this law and am now worse off because of it. The idea that the average US company is, on average, making higher profits is completely irrelevant. The institution I work for had to make a decision based on the law whether to either cut my hours, or pay me benefits. Why the hell would they pay me benefits if they have the first option?

Also, if corporate profits aren't higher each year-over-year your economy is deep in the tank, so using that as an argument is utterly irrelevant. It's just the norm.

LOL. Man, you called me a terrible debater, so I just thought maybe you cared about such things. And nobody is changing the subject when they discuss macro level concepts with regards to a piece of legislation that has macro-level impacts. In fact, how do you really debate something like the ACA on the micro level? Any piece of legislation is going to have a negative impact somewhere.
OH, and the best part of your response!!! You make a Macro level statement about corporate profits while simultaneously contradicting a previous statement. You're 100% comedy gold, Cidem!

The point is that the biggest negative impact is on those who are struggling to get by, and is thus a complete disaster for me personally and so many like me.

My own anecdotal contribution: My son's caretaker is a Mexican woman with no more than a 3rd grade education that has legally lived here for 20 years. She relied on MediCal for years, but was dropped when she started working for me because she was no longer eligible. She didn't have enough money (or couldn't figure out how to obtain insurance) and was left without coverage for a year. Recently, she needed to see a physician so we went on to covered CA and found an HMO plan where her premium is $70/month, $500 deductible, $20 copay. She had no problem finding a PCP and scheduling an immediate appointment (which she couldn't believe after dealing with the drives and waits associated with MediCal) - access for her is no longer an issue.

My own anecdotal contribution: My son's caretaker is a Mexican woman with no more than a 3rd grade education that has legally lived here for 20 years. She relied on MediCal for years, but was dropped when she started working for me because she was no longer eligible. She didn't have enough money (or couldn't figure out how to obtain insurance) and was left without coverage for a year. Recently, she needed to see a physician so we went on to covered CA and found an HMO plan where her premium is $70/month, $500 deductible, $20 copay. She had no problem finding a PCP and scheduling an immediate appointment (which she couldn't believe after dealing with the drives and waits associated with MediCal) - access for her is no longer an issue.

What I'm taking away from this is that private insurance worked much better for this woman than the public system.

What I'm taking away from this is that private insurance worked much better for this woman than the public system.

And before ACA she would have struggled to afford private insurance.

Then I find it hard to believe she had to be without coverage in the time period you mentioned. You mentioned she might simply have not known how to obtain coverage and that it might not have been an issue of being able to afford either public or private insurance.

Then I find it hard to believe she had to be without coverage in the time period you mentioned. You mentioned she might simply have not known how to obtain coverage and that it might not have been an issue of being able to afford either public or private insurance.

Why is it so hard to believe? Secondly, before subsidies her insurance is $380/month, and that was the most affordable low deductible plan offered. A high deductible plan isn't the way to go either when you are approaching 60. $380/month would be approximately 20% of her pre-tax income. Does that seem affordable to you?

Man, are you even trying? "Healthcare access goes down when people can't afford to be treated." Use your grown up words and do some research. Here, I'll even help you out (http://www.factcheck.org/2014/02/aca-impact-on-per-capita-cost-of-health-care/).
"Having insurance means nothing when your healthcare sucks". If you're not even going to put an effort into this debate, why post anything at all? You call this "thinking for yourself"? You provided some really solid data points there, Psai!!
And, finally, for the love of all that is good in the world, providers accepting medicaid has ALWAYS been an issue. Again, NOTHING new. I worked at 220 bed nursing home running a business office from 1997-1999 and that was one of their biggest challenges.

Next time, before you engage in your self-stimulating celebratory praise over your master debating, you should check your facts to see if the link you posted actually addressed the point (it didn't). Per capita cost of health care has little to do with high co-pays and deductibles which negatively affect an individual's access to health care. Solid data points there Ed! Accepting medicaid is not the issue. The issue is that medicaid is being expanded and this expansion is being forced onto the states. Private offices are being pushed out of business as obamacare is shifting payments so that hospitals get paid significantly more (with an increasing differential) for procedures that can be easily performed in an outpatient setting. This is at the same time as increased fixed costs as extremely expensive, poorly laid out EMRs are being forced onto physicians which make it much more difficult to follow patients and decreases the amount of real life contact that physicians have with patients and other physicians.

Why is it so hard to believe? Secondly, before subsidies her insurance is $380/month, and that was the most affordable low deductible plan offered. A high deductible plan isn't the way to go either when you are approaching 60. $380/month would be approximately 20% of her pre-tax income. Does that seem affordable to you?
I'll tell you why it's so hard to believe for him. His experience has been negative and, since he has a myopic view of the world and is utterly devoid of any historical perspective, he feels the ACA should go away and that anybody that claims a positive experience is either ignorant or lying. He feels that his personal negative experience means that over 10 million people should be kicked off health coverage, insurance companies should be allowed to cancel your policy if you get sick, and that you should be denied coverage if you have any sort of pre-existing condition. Apparently, there are millions of people that have been negatively impacted by the ACA that didn't bother to come out to vote in 2014 and would rather lose healthcare protections that took over 100 years to get because their employer, and not their government, cut their hours and made a scapegoat of the ACA.

Premiums have increased at less than historical rates!! 10% increases year over year have been the norm for 2 decades! This is like arguing with climate deniers. Every time you have a conversation with one, you have to start from square 1. And yes, people have to sign up. Maybe you'd rather pay for everybody else's ER visits? That's the better plan in your opinion? Hell, let's just get rid of car insurance and we can all start paying for uninsured drivers too.

There are many places where the increase has been much greater than 10%.

I like how you attack others' blanket statements, yet you use piss-poor blanket analogies to mock.

My problem with the mandate is king Obumma repeatedly saying the ACA is not a tax, yet the constitutional argument in support of it was due to congress' ability to impose taxes.

While there are things I like about it, the entire bill was rushed, and the American people were deceived.

One thing the ACA has definitely done wrong is cutting physician pay. For that reason alone it is legislation that doesn't mesh with our best interests as medical students, because, you know, our future salaries are at stake.

They cut physician pay to decrease healthcare costs for patients... yet that accounts for only 20% of total health care dollars - while hospitals, for example, take in 30%. It's pretty lame that they would rather take down our pay, rather than the CEOs and MBAs for creating systems that are grossly inefficient and waste too much money.

Next time, before you engage in your self-stimulating celebratory praise over your master debating, you should check your facts to see if the link you posted actually addressed the point (it didn't). Per capita cost of health care has little to do with high co-pays and deductibles which negatively affect an individual's access to health care. Solid data points there Ed! Accepting medicaid is not the issue. The issue is that medicaid is being expanded and this expansion is being forced onto the states. Private offices are being pushed out of business as obamacare is shifting payments so that hospitals get paid significantly more (with an increasing differential) for procedures that can be easily performed in an outpatient setting. This is at the same time as increased fixed costs as extremely expensive, poorly laid out EMRs are being forced onto physicians which make it much more difficult to follow patients and decreases the amount of real life contact that physicians have with patients and other physicians.
Oh, Psai. There there. It's Friday! Buck up little camper. First, now that you're a grown up, when somebody send you a link, you need to read the grown up words and not just look at the pictures. The article talks about the slowed growth of expenditures as not being related to decreased utilization. I was pretty clear the link was in response to your utilization comment...i even quoted you just before the link. Hard to make that more clear. Very hard. Yet, you seemed to screw it up.

Regarding the rest of what I guess we'll call your "contribution"; So, what you're saying, is that the healthcare delivery environment is changing? Well, that never happens!! It didn't change when the first HMOs started to show up in the 1980s, or with OBRA, or HIPAA, or with DRG, or ICD-9, or ICD-10, or in the 90s when many small hospitals went bankrupt and closed. It didn't change at all when MAPD was passed either. Yes, the healthcare landscape has been an absolute rock all these years, and then the ACA came along and just look at it now! Our perfect system is ruined. I remember the good old days when friends with children would be denied coverage of asthma medication because they owned a fireplace (this happened to my cousin 20 years ago), or when people would have the nerve to get cancer and then the righteous insurance company would kick them to the curb, or any number of other super f'd up things that would go on that perhaps you're just too young to remember.

I'll tell you why it's so hard to believe for him. His experience has been negative and, since he has a myopic view of the world and is utterly devoid of any historical perspective, he feels the ACA should go away and that anybody that claims a positive experience is either ignorant or lying. He feels that his personal negative experience means that over 10 million people should be kicked off health coverage, insurance companies should be allowed to cancel your policy if you get sick, and that you should be denied coverage if you have any sort of pre-existing condition. Apparently, there are millions of people that have been negatively impacted by the ACA that didn't bother to come out to vote in 2014 and would rather lose healthcare protections that took over 100 years to get because their employer, and not their government, cut their hours and made a scapegoat of the ACA.

Way to make DNC talking points even more condescending and irreverent than usual.

One thing the ACA has definitely done wrong is cutting physician pay. For that reason alone it is legislation that doesn't mesh with our best interests as medical students, because, you know, our future salaries are at stake.

They cut physician pay to decrease healthcare costs for patients... yet that accounts for only 20% of total health care dollars - while hospitals, for example, take in 30%. It's pretty lame that they would rather take down our pay, rather than the CEOs and MBAs for creating systems that are grossly inefficient and waste too much money.
Agreed. Way too much red tape. We spend $900 per person in this country on administrative costs alone. Hopefully, the push toward digitizing medical records will help.

Way to make DNC talking points even more condescending and irreverent than usual.
That's it? That's all you got? Well, if you're finally giving up, I'm going to go get a beer. Enjoy your evening all!

Why would she be choosing a plan that expensive in the first place? Obviously a plan with all the pros like a low deductible and short wait times is going to cost you. I wish I could say capitalism would have allowed her to shop for a good private plan but we all know health insurance hasn't been very free-market at all and is only getting worse.

Oh, Psai. There there. It's Friday! Buck up little camper. First, now that you're a grown up, when somebody send you a link, you need to read the grown up words and not just look at the pictures. The article talks about the slowed growth of expenditures as not being related to decreased utilization. I was pretty clear the link was in response to your utilization comment...i even quoted you just before the link. Hard to make that more clear. Very hard. Yet, you seemed to screw it up.

Regarding the rest of what I guess we'll call your "contribution"; So, what you're saying, is that the healthcare delivery environment is changing? Well, that never happens!! It didn't change when the first HMOs started to show up in the 1980s, or with OBRA, or HIPAA, or with DRG, or ICD-9, or ICD-10, or in the 90s when many small hospitals went bankrupt and closed. It didn't change at all when MAPD was passed either. Yes, the healthcare landscape has been an absolute rock all these years, and then the ACA came along and just look at it now! Our perfect system is ruined. I remember the good old days when friends with children would be denied coverage of asthma medication because they owned a fireplace (this happened to my cousin 20 years ago), or when people would have the nerve to get cancer and then the righteous insurance company would kick them to the curb, or any number of other super f'd up things that would go on that perhaps you're just too young to remember.

You kind of suck at this whole thing with understanding issues for someone who seems to have so many of their own.

There are many places where the increase has been much greater than 10%.

I like how you attack others' blanket statements, yet you use piss-poor blanket analogies to mock.

My problem with the mandate is king Obumma repeatedly saying the ACA is not a tax, yet the constitutional argument in support of it was due to congress' ability to impose taxes.

While there are things I like about it, the entire bill was rushed, and the American people were deceived.

I'm sorry, acceptmeplease, I guess I should have posted the increase for every freaking state. *****. When you look at the overall increase in healthcare premiums for a nation, how else should it be presented, Professor? And, incidentally, the average increase isn't 10%, it's more like 7.5%. http://www.advisory.com/daily-brief...are-premiums-will-increase-over-seven-percent

Tax schmax. That's about all that argument deserves in response.

And, finally, you show your cards. It's all about how you hate Obama and nothing about healthcare or facts or history. King Obama... That's some cult talk right there.

You kind of suck at this whole thing with understanding issues for someone who seems to have so many of their own.
Is that like an "I know you are but what am I?" sort or response? I'm going to go cry in my beer now.

Agreed. Way too much red tape. We spend $900 per person in this country on administrative costs alone. Hopefully, the push toward digitizing medical records will help.

Yea, so now private physicians have to pay thousands of dollars out of their dwindling resources to cover this awesome update.

I'm sorry, acceptmeplease, I guess I should have posted the increase for every freaking state. *****. When you look at the overall increase in healthcare premiums for a nation, how else should it be presented, Professor? And, incidentally, the average increase isn't 10%, it's more like 7.5%. http://www.advisory.com/daily-brief...are-premiums-will-increase-over-seven-percent

Tax schmax. That's about all that argument deserves in response.

And, finally, you show your cards. It's all about how you hate Obama and nothing about healthcare or facts or history. King Obama... That's some cult talk right there.

Millions of people live in states adversely affected by these high increases. That's a big deal.

Please tell me how being condescending adds to discussion or debate.

Why would she be choosing a plan that expensive in the first place? Obviously a plan with all the pros like a low deductible and short wait times is going to cost you.

As I said before, high deductible plans are not a financially good option when you are 60. "Short wait times" isn't an option on the covered california website, so I'm not sure what you mean. $380 gets you a very basic plan.

What point are you trying to make?

I wish I could say capitalism would have allowed her to shop for a good private plan but we all know health insurance hasn't been very free-market at all and is only getting worse.

Nothing about health care insurance has ever been free market, so please tell me how it is getting worse.

Yea, so now private physicians have to pay thousands of dollars out of their dwindling resources to cover this awesome update.
So you feel that pen and paper should be the future of medicine? That is truly visionary.