NYU vs. Sinai (No Aid)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Given the information, which would you attend NYU or Sinai if you were me?

• Total voters

TheVirg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this discussion has come up many times over the years, but it seems like things change every year and financial aid tends to be unique for each applicant. I'm thankful that my parents have been able to support me financially, but I have received no need-based and and also no scholarships. Therefore, I will be paying the full COA for either school with my parents covering the Grad Plus loans (again, thankfully). Regardless, the cost difference is ~7k/year more for NYU thank Sinai

I really like the atmosphere at both schools, but I think I might like the 1.5 year condensed pre-clinical at NYU compared to the full 2 years at Sinai. I liked NYU's location when I was there, but I also like Sinai's proximity to Central Park. The two locations may ultimately be a wash, but I would like to get some input if anybody has some perspective. As far as other things go:

- I'm undecided on a specialty. I know I'm not interested in FM and ortho, though and may want to go into surgical specialties
- Is there any differences in the training sites? Langone and Bellevue are awesome but Sinai has so many connections throughout the city. Will there be any appreciable difference in clinical training?
- Happiness of the student body is very important to me. Minimizing the competitiveness would be a huge plus but it seems like both schools use P/F (although NYU may be internally ranked?)
- I'm interested in clinical research opportunities to give me the best chances of matching into a competitive residency if that ends up being my goal

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I know I'm cutting it extremely close to the deadline.

Members don't see this ad.

NYU. I hear 1.5 year pre-clinical is a game changer

Does anybody else think that the 1.5 year pre-clinical is worth it? Also, can anybody explain why they voted for Sinai which seems to have the slight majority?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you not get swayed by a particular one during revisits? There really isn't much of a difference between them besides the vibe/culture. Go where you'd fit in more. Though Sinai has significantly better housing I suppose.

I know that this discussion has come up many times over the years, but it seems like things change every year and financial aid tends to be unique for each applicant. I'm thankful that my parents have been able to support me financially, but I have received no need-based and and also no scholarships. Therefore, I will be paying the full COA for either school with my parents covering the Grad Plus loans (again, thankfully). Regardless, the cost difference is ~7k/year more for NYU thank Sinai

I really like the atmosphere at both schools, but I think I might like the 1.5 year condensed pre-clinical at NYU compared to the full 2 years at Sinai. I liked NYU's location when I was there, but I also like Sinai's proximity to Central Park. The two locations may ultimately be a wash, but I would like to get some input if anybody has some perspective. As far as other things go:

- I'm undecided on a specialty. I know I'm not interested in FM and ortho, though and may want to go into surgical specialties
- Is there any differences in the training sites? Langone and Bellevue are awesome but Sinai has so many connections throughout the city. Will there be any appreciable difference in clinical training?
- Happiness of the student body is very important to me. Minimizing the competitiveness would be a huge plus but it seems like both schools use P/F (although NYU may be internally ranked?)
- I'm interested in clinical research opportunities to give me the best chances of matching into a competitive residency if that ends up being my goal

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I know I'm cutting it extremely close to the deadline.

I'm on the alternate list at Sinai but I'll try to give my most unbiased opinion. I didn't interview at NYU, but I went to a presentation from the dean of admissions at my undergrad.

NYU is great if you have diverse interests within medicine. It's fairly common for the students to do a dual degree program. Even if you don't want another degree, the 1.5 year preclinical allows you to explore more within medicine itself. Also, looking through the match lists, NYU had an excellent placement for students pursuing Optho, Neurosurgery, and Ortho amongst others. It may simply be due to the fact that NYU attracts students that are interested in these specialties as opposed to Sinai, but nonetheless, it's something to consider.

That's not to say you will be limited at Sinai. You will have the opportunity to succeed and pursue any specialty at either school. Sinai has their free time scattered throughout the curriculum while NYU is more condensed. Sinai simply excels in different aspects of medicine such as their humanistic approach and that's evident by the structure of their curriculum. Even so, you will have no problem matching into a top program in your specialty of choice from Sinai.

Location should barely even be factor since they're both in Manhattan. You can either be closer to the downtown area or close to Central Park. Either way, you'll be a 15 minute subway ride from the other side of Manhattan. NYU has more expensive and modern housing as opposed to Sinai, but it's really nitpicking at little details here. Oh and the dean mentioned that they don't internally rank preclinicals. He laughed because he said the students had some conspiracy theory that he sat in his chair comparing their test scores and whatnot. I think clinical training is exceptional at both schools so don't stress too much here.

Go wherever you felt you fit in better. I feel like that would be NYU for you. Either way you'll be an amazing physician. Congrats on your acceptances!

Hey! Congrats on deciding between two NY schools, and two great ones at that!

So, currently it's $7000/year for a better curriculum. Honestly, other than that, i don't think you've mentioned anything that really swings the decision one way or another. Instead of thinking about geographic location (since it's basically the same), maybe think about culture. Sinai is very service and research driven, while NYU is very much coming into its own given its recent leaps in money/resources/attention. Bellevue is great, but also inaccessible to a lot of people that don't live/work there. I think students are the best resource for Sinai. NYU is a little different, because I think they are honestly trying to change their school in different ways, and building a new class accordingly.

Basically, think environment, not location. Cost already weights the decision towards Sinai (admittedly only slightly, since your parents are helping out!), so where would you actually be happiest!

Good luck with an awesome decision!