This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYU or Columbia?

• 3yr MD NYU

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • 4yr MD NYU

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • Columbia

Votes: 46 53.5%

• Total voters

fitnerd5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm trying to decide between Columbia and NYU. I've been thinking on this for awhile and honestly have no clear idea about how to distinguish the two, or what really matters in terms of the "best fit" for medical school. I'll give a run down of my thoughts so far, but any insight would be much appreciated!

Background about my interests - I'm coming into medical school with an interest in nutrition, public/community health, and preventive medicine addressing chronic diseases; so far I envision that taking me into primary care, but I spoke with my interviewer at Columbia about the field of preventive cardiology which sounded interesting! While that's a strong interest, I have thought about wanting to keep my options open to other possibilities as well. Not too big on research, although a service-learning or community-based participatory research project sounds up my alley in terms of looking at access to care and resources, health inequities in underserved populations, etc.

Similar between the two:
-P/F grading
-1.5 year pre-clinical

Columbia
+
More "prestigious" in name and ranking - not really sure how important this is, although it's clawing at the back of my brain. How much does this matter? Does it translate to "better" education or more opportunities? (especially given my interest)
+Similarly, affiliated with NYP which is supposedly the "best" hospital system in the city, although not sure how important this is pre-residency or with regard to my interests.
+Access to Mailman School of Public Health and Institute of Human Nutrition - I could get a dual degree in an MPH or MS in nutrition during my 4th year I believe, which sounds appealing although I'm not sure how much that will actually affect my future career.
+Diversity - Surrounding neighborhoods are much more diverse, and gives me an opportunity to brush up on my Spanish. Along with that, the free clinics seem to address more diverse and underserved populations (homeless, Spanish harlem, mens' clinic?)
+More relaxed / happy student population? I've heard about the laid-back nature of the students from many different sources, and it's nice that the school itself doesn't try to promote its own ranking
-School's open disdain towards primary care - have heard stories about professors viewing primary care as a state-school thing, and the administration tried to shut down the Family Medicine program, but I think there's enough support since it is still going.
+/- More expensive tuition, but cheaper off-campus housing (which is of interest, as I'll be moving with my significant other and we want a pet lol)
-More "traditional" learning and older technology - I've talked to some friends there who say that sometimes the education systems / websites and whatnot are cumbersome, and the lectures aren't the best given that they bring in big names who aren't necessarily focused on teaching. Honestly, I'm fine with lectures (probably prefer them) and figure that we will all do most of our learning on our own anyway.

NYU
*Side note - I'm applying to the 3yr-MD program in primary care, which if accepted would save me 1 year of tuition and guarantee me residency. Huge plus if it happens, but still want to hear anyone's thoughts about the normal 4yr program too!

+Affiliation with Bellavue - that seems cool, and a public hospital might expose me to the patient population I'm interested in, although again not sure how important this is pre-residency.
+More exciting part of town? I heard this was one of the most "fun" and happening areas in the city being right downtown, which is cool but I'm not one to go out and party that often or spend lots of money on shows, and being a med student would I even have time?
+/- Exams every 2 weeks on a Friday = free weekend every 2 weeks? Not sure if this rapid testing schedule is good or bad; less material to cover each exam compared to a big final but does anyone have any thoughts?
+/- More PBL learning? Not sure if this is a good thing. In general the school seems a bit more modern in its curriculum / teaching style / education resources (but I honestly know nothing; halpz)
+/- Cheaper tuition (esp. with the 3yr), decent on-campus housing but expensive off-campus housing
-Less diversity in the patient population?
-Possibly snooty environment given the school's focus on its rankings
-Less flexible dual-degree options, although NYU has a lot of cool programs like Food Studies I might try to take advantage of.

In general, I'm leaning towards Columbia but for superficial reasons (ranking, dual-degree options, diversity), although if I am accepted to the 3yr program the cost and time savings and guaranteed residency is a huge draw for me. Ultimately, I'm also asking what matters in terms of med schools besides "fit" (if anything?). I will be going to both their revisit days which will hopefully help, but still definitely welcome any and all insight others may have to offer! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most of the reasons you listed aren't superficial -- if you are interested in public health and community health then dual-degree options (esp. Mailman) and the fact you are living and working in a diverse community are real advantages towards your career goals. In terms of "best fit", it's just that. When you visited, did one of them feel better than the other? Your revisit experience is another chance to feel out the fit -- there might be one place you just fall in love with. And yes, Columbia is ranked higher and is more highly regarded within New York and elsewhere. But the difference in prestige is small, so I wouldn't give it much weight in your decision making. If you can get into the 3-year MD that's a great opportunity to save time, money and the stress of match.

A couple things re: area

- Excitement: Being at columbia's med campus (~160's on the west side) is really not that far from the "exciting" stuff. There are express trains that'll have you in midtown in 15-20 minutes. There are still a ton of good things to do uptown as well. Don't get me wrong, I really like being in midtown, esp because of proximity to downtown and walking to work, but it's not make or break.

- COL: Don't underestimate the cost of living in off campus midtown vs in the heights. I know YMMV but i'll compare myself to some friends of mine from school. I live in midtown (near NYU med) in a 280 sqft 1bed in a walkup for $2000/mo. Most of my working friends living in midtown pay 1500-2500 w/ roommates. I have several friends that live in the 170's/180's for $800 apiece. Expect overall CoL in midtown to be 60+% greater than in wash heights

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One bump for any other insights / comments about the schools themselves :bow:

For the COL comment. NYU has student housing that is ~I believe~ $1100 a month. It's expensive, but cheaper than the housing in the surrounding area. Some of the housing is actually on top of the hospital, so you never have to leave if you are weird like that. My friends at Columbia law are paying I think $1600- for Columbia owned housing (though I don't know what normal rent is around that area).
But I personally prefer Columbia's location to Midtown.

Bellevue has the prettiest hospital lobby I've ever seen.

If you are interested in primary care, definitely do the 3yr program. Saves so much money.

Last edited:
Just FYI, NYU is ranked P/F while Columbia is unranked P/F, if that makes any difference to you (i.e. your grades in your preclinical years will count towards your class rank and AOA at NYU, but not at Columbia).

PM me any questions you have about Columbia (or ask them here if you want, idc).

I will say that if you are 100% sure you want to do primary care and you get into the 3 year NYU program, I would do the NYU 3 year program for a variety of reasons. In any other situation, I would take Columbia.

Congrats on your acceptances and welcome to NYC. Definitely come to Columbia's second look at the end of next week. It should help you make your decision.

I would say a big (+) for Columbia is their new medical school building. It looks so awesome and will be open sometime next year. All of the swoons.

Full disclosure: on the Columbia WL

Reactions: 1 user