NYU acceptance - class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrat to you all. I graduated from NYUCD in 1994 and did Post Grad in Prostho. and Maxillofacial Prosthetics. For all you've mentioned, I remembered those experience. I did not take the advanced placement program (did a regular program) and was teaching in Prostho for 3 years in both programs. Now, let me tell u the trick to survive the life at NYUCD. Even though you get in at NYU, it doesn't mean that you will graduate on time or even finished at all. It will take a lot of work and there are many people at NYU walking around for all the programs. Study hard and find instructors that will help you, if you don't understand something ASK!! Don't try to be a wise guy, that doesn't help. Most of the full time instructors are nice, try to get to know them but don't have to kiss their a... You still have North East Regional Exam to go, the practical portion is difficult. Now another factor is the regular DDS program students. Be their friend, they can help you a lot. However, some of them my think that you guys are competing with them. Get to know them and be honest/sincere. NYU is a big family and you may get lost in the system. Don't be isolated, get into student organization. The dean is a wonderful person, Prof. Micheal Alfano, I know him well. I just went to visit him and he is doing a wonderful job at NYU. So good luck and stay well, if u do need suggestion mail me at [email protected], maybe I can answer some of your questions.

Members don't see this ad.

thanks,pal!i really appreciate for the help u have offered! :thumbup:
MUNYU said:
Congrat to you all. I graduated from NYUCD in 1994 and did Post Grad in Prostho. and Maxillofacial Prosthetics. For all you've mentioned, I remembered those experience. I did not take the advanced placement program (did a regular program) and was teaching in Prostho for 3 years in both programs. Now, let me tell u the trick to survive the life at NYUCD. Even though you get in at NYU, it doesn't mean that you will graduate on time or even finished at all. It will take a lot of work and there are many people at NYU walking around for all the programs. Study hard and find instructors that will help you, if you don't understand something ASK!! Don't try to be a wise guy, that doesn't help. Most of the full time instructors are nice, try to get to know them but don't have to kiss their a... You still have North East Regional Exam to go, the practical portion is difficult. Now another factor is the regular DDS program students. Be their friend, they can help you a lot. However, some of them my think that you guys are competing with them. Get to know them and be honest/sincere. NYU is a big family and you may get lost in the system. Don't be isolated, get into student organization. The dean is a wonderful person, Prof. Micheal Alfano, I know him well. I just went to visit him and he is doing a wonderful job at NYU. So good luck and stay well, if u do need suggestion mail me at [email protected], maybe I can answer some of your questions.

thanx fido and dockydoo....
dockydoo said:
yup, i remember u. the punjabi from canada right. anyways congratulations :thumbup: and i have no idea as to whether anybody got admitted or not as they are not SDN members and don't have their e-mail ids or phone numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
well i'm finally back in manhattan...
hey guys, have you heard when the orientation is starting? i've heard august 1st but then i've also heard end of july any more news?

What are you all doing for the immunization forms...I dont have health insurance yet, I was gonna get it from NYU but now I need to get the blood tests done and I'm sure it'll cost me an arm and a leg without insurance...I have all my immunzation documentation since when I was born, but they are asking for lab reports as you all know..

What are you people who are coming from abroad doing about this?

khurram

Khurram said:
hey guys, have you heard when the orientation is starting? i've heard august 1st but then i've also heard end of july any more news?

What are you all doing for the immunization forms...I dont have health insurance yet, I was gonna get it from NYU but now I need to get the blood tests done and I'm sure it'll cost me an arm and a leg without insurance...I have all my immunzation documentation since when I was born, but they are asking for lab reports as you all know..

khurram

Hi
Regarding the orientation its gonna start on july 31st ....They sent me housing stuff and in that they mentioned that its on that date...
Iam goin to send all those lab reports and some vaccines in the mid may......

Any info regarding this would be apreciated.

WHOA!LOOK WHO DO WE HAVE HERE.....WELCOME BACK,DUDE! :thumbup:
Khurram said:

khurram

Hello everyone,

I got the acceptance letter a few hours back.Looking forward to July/August now. :) :D :laugh:
My scores were -
NBDE 1 - 89
E.C.E - 3.56
TOEFL - 267.

i got accepted in nyucd and do not know how to proceed further.have u all already accepted at nyu ,started applying for loans,which bank did u approach,what is the procedure involved and is nyu going to guide us in taking the loans.any onfo will be highly appreciated.
thank u :)

Congratulations to all those who made it to NYU.
ALL THE BEST

hey Anjali and Chocochip [nice name!] CONGRATS!! welcome aboard!

my dear panchhi,
please accept my heartiest congratulations!party time! :clap: :hardy:
welcome to nyu!
i'm very happy for you,buddy! :thumbup:
all the best for a very bright future!

hey thank u so much..
feels gud ..congrats to all those who got in..hey anjali congrats..remember u beign with me on the same day..
panchhi. :)
fido! said:
my dear panchhi,
please accept my heartiest congratulations!party time! :clap: :hardy:
welcome to nyu!
i'm very happy for you,buddy! :thumbup:
all the best for a very bright future!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Anjalia and panchhi!!! :thumbup:

rahmed

panchhi said:
hey thank u so much..
feels gud ..congrats to all those who got in..hey anjali congrats..remember u beign with me on the same day..
panchhi. :)

Hey Panchhi,

CONGRATULATIONS !!1 :thumbup: :thumbup:

Its feels good to know soo many of your classmates already. ;) :) & why,yes,I do remember that I'll be starting college with you on the same very day!! :idea: ;)

& GOOD LUCK TO ALL THOSE IN WAITNG! :thumbup:

THANX again,for all the wishes.Hope to see you all soon. :love:

Congrats to all those who were accepted,
Have you'll started applying for loans? The citiassist global international loan which lends to international students of nyu without a cosigner is out of my reach as it allows us to borrow only upto $40,000. Is there any other type of loan that an international student with a cosigner can borrow from citibank? I called citibank they asked to contact the college authorities. When I called nyu financial aid they asked me to fill out the form for citiassist global international loan, but when I told them that I need more than $40,000 they din't respond very well. I am a bit confused whether to fill out the form for citiassist undergraduate loan, or citiassist health professional loan. :confused:

also file for fafsa,
you can get 38,500 a year from that...the combined two loans should cover ure expenses...

what interest rate does the citiassist loan from citibank have?

are u sure u dont need a cosigner?

Yeah , those guys are very unhelpful. I too am in the same predicament. Federal loans are not an option for me so I am trying to figure out who the second lender will be. We need more than 40,000! I think they will send us further info. But I can't figure out if we should at least send the Global Citibank form for pre-approval?

rubberdam said:
Have you'll started applying for loans? The citiassist global international loan which lends to international students of nyu without a cosigner is out of my reach as it allows us to borrow only upto $40,000. Is there any other type of loan that an international student with a cosigner can borrow from citibank? I called citibank they asked to contact the college authorities. When I called nyu financial aid they asked me to fill out the form for citiassist global international loan, but when I told them that I need more than $40,000 they din't respond very well. I am a bit confused whether to fill out the form for citiassist undergraduate loan, or citiassist professional loan. :confused:

Khurram said:
also file for fafsa,
you can get 38,500 a year from that...the combined two loans should cover ure expenses...

.. I was under the impression that we could only apply for one loan. I dont think we can apply for 2 different types of loans. I think citiassist global international has an interest rate of 9.5%. U can access this loan only thru the nyu financial aid website.

well,thats what where we all non residents are stuck.we can get a citi global assist loan of $ 40,000.But to get more money or the get the COA,we need to apply for citiassist proffessional loan for health professionals,which is with a cosigner.Well, if the nyu financial aid office didnt respond properly,ask them again...thats what their job is!
Yes Khurram,as per the guidelines printed on citiassist global international loan, for international students for nyucd,we can get $40,000 per year without a co-signer.But if we are looking for full COA,we might need other loan,like citiassist loan for health professionals,which definately needs a cosigner(not sure about permanent residents).
I am assuming that nyu will send us a financial aid packet.It should clear some of our doubts.But calling them should be our best bet.If there is no other option from citibank then we might have to look towards other options.
Rahmed where are u?we need ur guidance.... Pls report urgently :confused:

I think
rubberdam said:
Have you'll started applying for loans? The citiassist global international loan which lends to international students of nyu without a cosigner is out of my reach as it allows us to borrow only upto $40,000. Is there any other type of loan that an international student with a cosigner can borrow from citibank? I called citibank they asked to contact the college authorities. When I called nyu financial aid they asked me to fill out the form for citiassist global international loan, but when I told them that I need more than $40,000 they din't respond very well. I am a bit confused whether to fill out the form for citiassist undergraduate loan, or citiassist professional loan. :confused:

international students,who are not permanent residents can also file fasfa,but wont be approved for it as we are non eligible aliens.But there is no harm in applying.
Khurram said:
also file for fafsa,

Well fasfa is a federal loan and other is a private.
we can have 2 loans as long as one is federal and other is private.Most of the american citizens have 2 loans as federal loans are generally not sufficient to cover COA in med and dental schools.
federal loas are approved through fasfa(ur ultimate lender will be a bank like citi or access group,federal government just underlines that loan) and other loans are fdirectly from private lenders like citi group.

But wait , i am not an expert and i am also not sure that we cant have 2 private loans(it might be difficult to mainatin 2 loans simulaneously).

rubberdam said:
.. I was under the impression that we could only apply for one loan. I dont think we can apply for 2 different types of loans. I think citiassist global international has an interest rate of 9.5%. U can acess this loan only thru the nyu financial aid website.

damast said:
Well fasfa is a federal loan and other is a private.
we can have 2 loans as long as one is federal and other is private.Most of the american citizens have 2 loans as federal loans are generally not sufficient to cover COA in med and dental schools.
federal loas are approved through fasfa(ur ultimate lender will be a bank like citi or access group,federal government just underlines that loan) and other loans are fdirectly from private lenders like citi group.

But wait , i am not an expert and i am also not sure that we cant have 2 private loans(it might be difficult to mainatin 2 loans simulaneously).

I am in the same boat with you guys not having GC etc. So if two lenders allow me borrow $86.000, then I am going to school! Anyway I am also banking on $40K from Citiassist Global Loan. Rest upto a co-signer. Will call NYU Fin Aid office tomorrow. then I will post about this.

BTW all of us in the same boat should try to find out whether we can have two lenders for Private loan.

rahmed

well,even if we can have 2 private loans,it might be difficult during repayment time,like sending 2 monthly payments and accuring interest on both loans,etc.
one the sidelines,according to my research,and as all of u might know, we can have loan for full COA,even if we are not citizens or residents,but with a cosigner.
Pls continue digging until we strike gold :laugh: :laugh:

rahmed said:
I am in the same boat with you guys not having GC etc. So if two lenders allow me borrow $86.000, then I am going to school! Anyway I am also banking on $40K from Citiassist Global Loan. Rest upto a co-signer. Will call NYU Fin Aid office tomorrow. then I will post about this.

BTW all of us in the same boat should try to find out whether we can have two lenders for Private loan.

rahmed

rahmed said:

rahmed
hai rahmed
do u mean that we can borrow 40k from citiassist global loan as well as from another citiassist loan like citiassist health professional loan (with cosigner) at the same time.

Sorry didn't realize that non gc holders cannot receive fafsa..

in that case...yes you can take out the citiassist for 40,000..

beyond that you can take out as many private loans as you wish, AS LONG as you have a co-signer or co-signers that have good credit history...private loans are always available...but you either need to have good credit history yourself or get a couple of co-signers...

for all of you citizens and gc holders the best way to go is to get 38,500 from fafsa (stafford loan) and the 40 g's from citibank...I THINK you can get both loans without a co-signer..I haven't really looked into the loan situation in detail as I was told by friends who attend nyu that you dont need to worry bout that stuff till end of may or june even....so as the time comes nearer i'll know more...

but yeah, nyu said they would send out financial aid info in may.

Thanks guys
ur info was very helpful. It certainly cleared many doubts.
:thumbup:

i agree
Khurram said:
Sorry didn't realize that non gc holders cannot receive fafsa..

in that case...yes you can take out the citiassist for 40,000..

beyond that you can take out as many private loans as you wish, AS LONG as you have a co-signer or co-signers that have good credit history...private loans are always available...but you either need to have good credit history yourself or get a couple of co-signers...

for all of you citizens and gc holders the best way to go is to get 38,500 from fafsa (stafford loan) and the 40 g's from citibank...I THINK you can get both loans without a co-signer..I haven't really looked into the loan situation in detail as I was told by friends who attend nyu that you dont need to worry bout that stuff till end of may or june even....so as the time comes nearer i'll know more...

but yeah, nyu said they would send out financial aid info in may.

rubberdam said:
hai rahmed
do u mean that we can borrow 40k from citiassist global loan as well as from another citiassist loan like citiassist health professional loan (with cosigner) at the same time.

This is something I am going to find out tomorrow, if I can get hold of someone from NYU Fin Aid. I would request you to give them a call as well and try to find out.

rahmed

Congrats Anjali, Chocochip and panchhi :thumbup:

All the best !! See you guys in july/august !!

rahmed said:
This is something I am going to find out tomorrow, if I can get hold of someone from NYU Fin Aid. I would request you to give them a call as well and try to find out.

rahmed

I called citibank. They said that we can apply for the global international as well as health professional loan at the same time provided we have a cosigner for health professional loan. But for the global international we need to call the school first and find out if we are eligible. :)

rubberdam said:
I called citibank. They said that we can apply for the global international as well as health professional loan at the same time provided we have a cosigner for health professional loan. But for the global international we need to call the school first and find out if we are eligible. :)

Hi rubberdam,

Thanks for the important information. I am pretty sure that all of us will be eligible as NYU and Citiassist Global loan are closely linked. But I will call the school.

rahmed

Hai,
I got my acceptance letter as well. I was interviewed on 18 th of Apr. wait is over!!!!!! very excited to join the gang......

Can anybody guide to look for housing( other than searching in the wanted and housing forum). I guess many like me who are goin to come from other state and Country who have very little knowledge about New york would like to know which area is better over another to search for any off campus housing and the hours of commute , charge for the commute /day.

It would be great if similar questions like this will be answered by the NYUCD students themselves in the forum or who have any idea regarding this.

Thanks

Dentalmaniac said:
Hai,
I got my acceptance letter as well. I was interviewed on 18 th of Apr. wait is over!!!!!! very excited to join the gang......

Can anybody guide to look for housing( other than searching in the wanted and housing forum). I guess many like me who are goin to come from other state and Country who have very little knowledge about New york would like to know which area is better over another to search for any off campus housing and the hours of commute , charge for the commute /day.

It would be great if similar questions like this will be answered by the NYUCD students themselves in the forum or who have any idea regarding this.

Thanks
Congratulations!!!!!!!!
Welcome to the class...

finding housing in nyc is a very difficult task i'll be honest with you...and rents in new york city are outrageous, so be prepared...do some research first, check out newyork.craigslist.org and check out the apt listings...

but honestly the problem with nyc is that if you see a place one day, chances are pretty good that it wont be available a couple days later...because the demand is so high and vacancy rates are so low..

you literallly have to stay in a hotel or something for a few days then go looking and sign a lease as quickly as possible....

good luck!
khurram

please accept my heartiest congratulations! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Dentalmaniac said:
Hai,

Thanks

fido! said:
please accept my heartiest congratulations! :thumbup: :thumbup:
hi fido,
this is my first post on this site. i have being reading stuff on this site for about a month now and i must confess y'all doing a really good job.
i recieved my admission letter into NYU. first application ever sent, first interview and first admission.
i feel like a stranger here but i'm sure i will be ok with y'all around.
thanks.

thank you ask4me!i really appreciate it!
congratulations !welcome to nyu class of 2009! :thumbup: :thumbup:
ask4me said:
hi fido,
this is my first post on this site. i have being reading stuff on this site for about a month now and i must confess y'all doing a really good job.
i recieved my admission letter into NYU. first application ever sent, first interview and first admission.
i feel like a stranger here but i'm sure i will be ok with y'all around.
thanks.

:) CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL YOU GUYS WHO MADE IT TO CLASS OF 2009.
Good Luck :luck:

has any one applied for loans yet or we have to wait till june/july?

ask4me said:
has any one applied for loans yet or we have to wait till june/july?

I had applied for citiassist global international for three years of school (40k for each year). My loan has been conditionally approved. I had applied for three years of school, but they approve only one year at a time for this loan.

rubberdam said:
I had applied for citiassist global international for three years of school (40k for each year). My loan has been conditionally approved. But in the letter the bank sent they did not mention how much had been approved. When I called the bank they say that they have only one application and 40k has been approved, but when I told them I had faxed three different applications (one for each year of school), they keep saying they have only one application. Then I tried the e-mail route and they replied saying that they approve only one year at a time.

All students loans are approved for that particular year. For AP class 2nd year and and 3rd year you have to apply in 2007 and 2008.

rahmed

hi rubberdam, i ve read ur other post abt the loan,but r u sure its 9+2% because as far as i know its prime + 2% citiglobal asisst loan.Correct me if i am wrong.
rubberdam said:
I had applied for citiassist global international for three years of school (40k for each year). My loan has been conditionally approved. But in the letter the bank sent they did not mention how much had been approved. When I called the bank they say that they have only one application and 40k has been approved, but when I told them I had faxed three different applications (one for each year of school), they keep saying they have only one application. Then I tried the e-mail route and they replied saying that they approve only one year at a time.

rahmed said:
All students loans are approved for that particular year. For AP class 2nd year and and 3rd year you have to apply in 2007 and 2008.

rahmed

...but nyu asks for financial support documentation for all three years of school before they issue an I-20 :confused:

rubberdam said:
...but nyu asks for financial support documentation for all three years of school before they issue an I-20 :confused:

Yes that's the catch 22 situation. You have to speak to Finance + Admissions to resolve the issue. As far as CitiAssist Global loan is concerned once you are preapproved for 2006, you can use it as an example and show that as proof for your future eligibility.

Hey,

I thought that they did as well, so I called their office and they said that they have to see proof of funding for the first year only and for the rest just an indication of where the funds are gonna come from. Which basically means that a bank statement or pre-approval of a loan for the first year and just write down on your I-20 application that you will be taking loans for the next years. No need of a pre-approval letter for the next 2 years. At least that is what they told me.

Hope this helps.

rubberdam said:

Hey,

I thought that they did as well, so I called their office and they said that they have to see proof of funding for the first year only and for the rest just an indication of where the funds are gonna come from. Which basically means - a bank statement or pre-approval of a loan for the first year and just write down on your I-20 application that you will be taking loans for the next years. No need of a pre-approval letter for the next 2 years. At least that is what they told me.

Hope this helps.

rubberdam said:

Talal said:
Hey,

I thought that they did as well, so I called their office and they said that they have to see proof of funding for the first year only and for the rest just an indication of where the funds are gonna come from. Which basically means - a bank statement or pre-approval of a loan for the first year and just write down on your I-20 application that you will be taking loans for the next years. No need of a pre-approval letter for the next 2 years. At least that is what they told me.

Hope this helps.

thanks Talal. Thats good news :D

Is there any news for people who were interviewed in may 2006. any acceptences, waitlist,rejections.