NSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree, everyone should back off. Let the fates decide.

I just like to poke stuff with sticks. I'm really indifferent. ;)

I mean, waitlists suck without a doubt. I'm on multiple ones, two of which are schools I'd go to over Nova but I really try to keep my internal confidence and spirits high. Not like I hate anyone, but I do enjoy a silent faith more than being punched in the face with it!

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: This has turned interesting. Im staying out of it. All I have to say is rejections and waitlists suck... a lot. Best of luck Sean.

For all us M1s registering, I'm a little neurotic so I want to make sure I registered for all the correct courses. Here's the list I got so please compare - thanks!!!

Medical Biochemistry I
Gross Anatomy
Medical Histology
Medical Physiology I
Clinical Practicum I
OPP I
The Interdisciplinary Curriculum (IGC) Preceptorship I
Medicine, Health & Society I
Basic Life Support

Looking forward to meeting you all soon!! Good luck to all you waitlisteds!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I've just withdrawn myself from the Alternate list. Best of luck to you all!

I'm currently in 11th grade and I really want to get accepted to NSU's dual degree medical program. if somebody has the time, please tell me my chances of getting in. thanks in advance! If you're in this program and it's not too much trouble, please give me your stats as well. the info will be very much appreciated!

Stats:
[ *] SAT Verbal: 630
[ *] SAT Math: 800
[ *] SAT Writing: 700
[ *] SAT Total: 2130
[ *] SAT II: Math II- 770, Biology- 770, planning on taking chem
[ *] AP/IB taken/scores: Biology-5, Chemistry, English Composition, US History, BC Calc, Music Theory, Macro econ(i'm not sure if i'm still taking this next year, please tell me if this class would help my application or should i take Stat?)
[ *] GPA weighted: 4.1?
[ *] GPA unweighted: ~3.85

Subjective:
[ *] Teacher Recs: AP Chem teacher, AP US History teacher, 10th grade chem honors teacher, please advise whether i should have my ap bio teacher from 10th grade or any math teacher

Location/Person:
[ *] State or Country: Northern VA (competitive area)
[ *] School: Thomas Jefferson High School (ranked #1 public school)
[ *] Ethnicity: Asian (Vietnamese)
[ *] Gender: male
[ *] Important ECs:
- football
- track
- nursing home volunteering
- elementary school mentoring, same kid for the past 3 years
- hospital volunteering
- youth leadership of greater washington
- science and engineering Apprentice program at the Naval Research Laboratory
- NHS
- academic letters every year so far
- Smithsonian Museum of Natural History volunteer
- co-president of a hip hop dance club
- research experience from a 3 day field trip at the Marine Science Consortium on Wallops Island
- Naval Academy Summer Seminar

BE HARSH, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm currently in 11th grade and I really want to get accepted to NSU's dual degree medical program. if somebody has the time, please tell me my chances of getting in. thanks in advance! If you're in this program and it's not too much trouble, please give me your stats as well. the info will be very much appreciated!

Stats:
[ *] AP/IB taken/scores: Biology-5, Chemistry, English Composition, US History, BC Calc, Music Theory, Macro econ(i'm not sure if i'm still taking this next year, please tell me if this class would help my application or should i take Stat?)

Subjective:
[ *] Teacher Recs: AP Chem teacher, AP US History teacher, 10th grade chem honors teacher, please advise whether i should have my ap bio teacher from 10th grade or any math teacher

Location/Person:
[ *] Important ECs:
- football
- track
- hospital volunteering
- NHS
- research experience from a 3 day field trip at the Marine Science Consortium on Wallops Island

Which dual program? Is it a combined bachelors/osteopathic degree? Like a 7-8 year program?? Otherwise, if you are talking about a post-grad degreee, it is way too early to gauge whether or not you are a candidate for NSUCOM.

Which dual program? Is it a combined bachelors/osteopathic degree? Like a 7-8 year program?? Otherwise, if you are talking about a post-grad degreee, it is way too early to gauge whether or not you are a candidate for NSUCOM.

Think he's talking about the BS/DO dual program which they have at nsu. Friend of mine had worse stats and got in but didn't meet the 3.5 requirement during her time at nsu and was withdrawn from the program...she's a teacher now. Anyway, if I were you I would go to a public school for undergrad and then apply to nsu when your done. You'll save a butt load of money for the same education. Good luck

yes, I was referring to the BS/DO program. if you can chance me for any other BS/MD or BS/DO programs, thatd b great as well. The pressure of getting a good GPA, research experience, and a good MCAT score would be like taking the SATs, getting involved in sports and the community, and stacking up on hard classes in high school all over again and that would suck...

yes, I was referring to the BS/DO program. if you can chance me for any other BS/MD or BS/DO programs, thatd b great as well. The pressure of getting a good GPA, research experience, and a good MCAT score would be like taking the SATs, getting involved in sports and the community, and stacking up on hard classes in high school all over again and that would suck...
Keep it up and apply. TA-DAH!

Stats:

Subjective:

Location/Person:
[ *] Important ECs:
- football
- track
- hospital volunteering
- NHS

Coming from TJ, your app looks pretty solid. Your SAT verbal is a bit low for what I would expect from a TJ student (is English not your first language?), but your stellar math score makes up for it.

My question is, why NSU? Why not go to UVA with everybody else from TJ? I know the competition from within TJ and the other top northern VA students is tough, but there's no reason you couldn't go to a much better undergrad than NSU (don't hate on me here, it's true).

But if you really want to do a dual program, your chances for NSU are great-my only suggestion is beef up your shadowing experience. I'd also suggest looking into the other programs out there:
http://services.aamc.org/currdir/section3/degree2.cfm?data=yes&program=bsmd
I know PCOM has a dual degree program as well, but I'm not too familiar with what the other DO schools offer.

And my last bit-o-advice: take stats. It'll be way more useful, and you're clearly talented at math so it'll be easy.

Coming from TJ, your app looks pretty solid. Your SAT verbal is a bit low for what I would expect from a TJ student (is English not your first language?), but your stellar math score makes up for it.

My question is, why NSU? Why not go to UVA with everybody else from TJ? I know the competition from within TJ and the other top northern VA students is tough, but there's no reason you couldn't go to a much better undergrad than NSU (don't hate on me here, it's true).

But if you really want to do a dual program, your chances for NSU are great-my only suggestion is beef up your shadowing experience. I'd also suggest looking into the other programs out there:
http://services.aamc.org/currdir/section3/degree2.cfm?data=yes&program=bsmd
I know PCOM has a dual degree program as well, but I'm not too familiar with what the other DO schools offer.

And my last bit-o-advice: take stats. It'll be way more useful, and you're clearly talented at math so it'll be easy.

ouch... haha. my critical reading skills are less then what you'd expect because i really really hate literature and i hate those questions that ask "what can you infer from this [*&^%in annoying] passage?" i swear i can read and write.

honestly, i really want the degree and i have legit reasons for wanting to go into this field. i think these dual degree programs are a safe way of getting me where i want. as i said before, not putting up with the stress of getting a good GPA, research experience, and a good MCAT score would be awesome. going through something like high school junior yr again would suck. I have been doing research on other schools like penn state and usc, but i'm not sure about my chances with their programs. please advise if you have info about them.

thanks for your input!

For all us M1s registering, I'm a little neurotic so I want to make sure I registered for all the correct courses. Here's the list I got so please compare - thanks!!!

Medical Biochemistry I
Gross Anatomy
Medical Histology
Medical Physiology I
Clinical Practicum I
OPP I
The Interdisciplinary Curriculum (IGC) Preceptorship I
Medicine, Health & Society I
Basic Life Support

Looking forward to meeting you all soon!! Good luck to all you waitlisteds!!!

I think that's what I ended up with, total of 24 credits right?

Also I have a side question regarding NSU's dress code, I was looking at the dress code and I'm not sure if I'm interpreting it correctly so someone please correct me. From what I understand, accepted attire includes:

1. Scrubs matching top, pants and shoes

OR

2. Professional dress shirt, tie, pants and shoes for men only

3. Everyone needs to wear their whitecoat

So we have a choice between wearing scrubs and professional business attire to class everyday?

Members don't see this ad :)

Also I have a side question regarding NSU's dress code, I was looking at the dress code and I'm not sure if I'm interpreting it correctly so someone please correct me. From what I understand, accepted attire includes:

OR

So we have a choice between wearing scrubs and professional business attire to class everyday?

As far as the attire, yes that is correct as far as professional or scrubs. except during orientation week I think we're required to wear professional attire.

ouch... haha. my critical reading skills are less then what you'd expect because i really really hate literature and i hate those questions that ask "what can you infer from this [*&^%in annoying] passage?" i swear i can read and write.

honestly, i really want the degree and i have legit reasons for wanting to go into this field. i think these dual degree programs are a safe way of getting me where i want. as i said before, not putting up with the stress of getting a good GPA, research experience, and a good MCAT score would be awesome. going through something like high school junior yr again would suck. I have been doing research on other schools like penn state and usc, but i'm not sure about my chances with their programs. please advise if you have info about them.

thanks for your input!

Sorry, I didn't mean to insult you! It just seems that >700 SAT scores are de rigueur for TJ students, not that having a 630 in verbal means that you're incapable of speaking/writing/understanding English. A 630 is respectable, really.

And I understand your desire to circumvent the competition by getting into a dual degree program. If you really want a DO degree, find every dual degree program out there (go to each school's websites) and apply to every one. I can't imagine that a kid with a good GPA, good SAT score, and good EC's from TJ wouldn't get into at least one of those programs.

My best advice is think wisely about which one you pick: some have far more stringent requirements than others. A few programs pretty much let you coast right into med school, and others require 28+ MCAT scores with >3.5 GPAs. Be sure to read the bottom line before signing on!

Sorry, I didn't mean to insult you! It just seems that >700 SAT scores are de rigueur for TJ students, not that having a 630 in verbal means that you're incapable of speaking/writing/understanding English. A 630 is respectable, really.

And I understand your desire to circumvent the competition by getting into a dual degree program. If you really want a DO degree, find every dual degree program out there (go to each school's websites) and apply to every one. I can't imagine that a kid with a good GPA, good SAT score, and good EC's from TJ wouldn't get into at least one of those programs.

My best advice is think wisely about which one you pick: some have far more stringent requirements than others. A few programs pretty much let you coast right into med school, and others require 28+ MCAT scores with >3.5 GPAs. Be sure to read the bottom line before signing on!

I agree. But I also agree that the best advice is to try to get into a top "tier" undergrad and work your butt off. I know it seems like a lot of pressure right now, worrying about the MCAT and your GPA and ECs and clubs and leadership positions and shadowing physicians, etc., and yes it is plenty of work. But if you schedule it out and have a plan from the very beginning, and you have the combined brains and passion, it certainly is doable and undergrad will fly by. I would rather not be tied down to one school by doing a dual degree program if I were in your shoes (ie. an excellent candidate on paper). You are likely to change your mind as to where you would like to attend medical school as you are exposed to various programs, and I would hate for you to not have the option of enrolling in a different program than NSU once you are done with undergrad. Plus you might be so sick of this school after four years and just want a change! Just my humble opinion. :)

OR

Yep 24 credits. Thank you!!

And regarding attire... So once we start classes, we wear scrubs and our white coat? (or, of course, business attire and white coat but I'd be much happier not wearing my heels lol)

Well, someone will get pulled off the waitlist. I just got accepted to FSU (my number 1 choice). As stated in the other class thread, it is slightly painful since I was mentally geared up to go to NSU. My little nephew will be heart broken since he was eager for his uncle to hang out with him. Best of luck to all of you. I'm sure I'll still hang around the DO forums. Not as ridiculous as the MD.

anyone on here either defer a year or get accepted to class of 2014? I'm finishing my last year of research before coming on down, I'm sure there are a few out there who have accepted/committed to 2014.

As far as the attire, yes that is correct as far as professional or scrubs. except during orientation week I think we're required to wear professional attire.

I see, thank you.

Well, someone will get pulled off the waitlist. I just got accepted to FSU (my number 1 choice). As stated in the other class thread, it is slightly painful since I was mentally geared up to go to NSU. My little nephew will be heart broken since he was eager for his uncle to hang out with him. Best of luck to all of you. I'm sure I'll still hang around the DO forums. Not as ridiculous as the MD.

Congrats dude, was rooting for you so I am very happy for you.

Thanks again. I somehow thought that today it'd settle in that it happened but it really hasn't! I just sat there all night thinking "I can't believe I start orientation next Tuesday."

I'm going to notify Nova as soon as possible. I know there is someone out there waiting for their dream choice just like me. Its not fair to make them wait. I just want to make sure all of my ducks are in a row first!

I agree. But I also agree that the best advice is to try to get into a top "tier" undergrad and work your butt off. I know it seems like a lot of pressure right now, worrying about the MCAT and your GPA and ECs and clubs and leadership positions and shadowing physicians, etc., and yes it is plenty of work. But if you schedule it out and have a plan from the very beginning, and you have the combined brains and passion, it certainly is doable and undergrad will fly by. I would rather not be tied down to one school by doing a dual degree program if I were in your shoes (ie. an excellent candidate on paper). You are likely to change your mind as to where you would like to attend medical school as you are exposed to various programs, and I would hate for you to not have the option of enrolling in a different program than NSU once you are done with undergrad. Plus you might be so sick of this school after four years and just want a change! Just my humble opinion. :)

i am looking at good undergrad schools, such as Duke, william & mary, uva, etc., but i know a couple of people that either lose motivation after four years or don't have competitive GPAs and that worries me. thanks for your advice!

And regarding attire... So once we start classes, we wear scrubs and our white coat? (or, of course, business attire and white coat but I'd be much happier not wearing my heels lol)

During orientation week you should wear business casual, but err on the side of looking a bit nicer. After that, things sink fast. The official rule is scrubs with white coat or shirt and tie with white coat. That simply doesn't happen. There are some folks who hang in there with the white coat, but probably fewer than 15 people total. 30% or so wear scrub bottoms and a t-shirt, no white coat. The rest wear scrubs and no white coat. Shoes are a toss up. I'm not sure what the official ruling is, but you'll see mostly gym shoes and flip-flops.

We had a few hard core folks who were rumbling about getting the school to enforce the dress code to "keep us looking professional". But that faded. In fact, the most vocal of the die-hards never wears a scrub top, much less the white coat she loved so much...lol

Bottom line: don't sweat the dress code too much. Just don't take it too far and show up in a thong. :)

Can anyone shed some light on what goes on during the orientation week. I thought I heard we start a couple of classes and don't go to the full load until the following week. Thanks

Orientation is a wacky combo of good information and a stunning waste of time. There is nothing that requires any thought, which makes it drag a bit. Before long you'll be begging for classes to start. Use that week as a way to meet as many people as possible. During the day you'll get to do plenty of chatting, and every evening is full of cavorting and debauchery. Once classes start you'll stop meeting new people with the same frequency, as you're either in lecture or studying.

I would strongly suggest that you have your life pretty well sorted out before classes start. Get moved in, unpacked, the fridge loaded, office supplies purchases, etc. It's really nice to just worry about school with nothing else grabbing for your time.

Please feel free to PM if you have specific questions, no matter how minor. It's a big change to move for school and sometimes it's the dumb stuff that makes it easier.

Agreed. I've taken nary a lick of English Lit. NSU is also more flexible about requirements than they let on. You can appeal to them to forego a requirement.

I find it peculiar that NSUCOM notified you about something as specific as "English Literature" and not just an English course requirement. I would definitely ask if your humanities course would sufficiently satisfy that requirement.

I would look at any of the colleges in your area or the college you're currently enrolled in (if you're still enrolled). Community Colleges always seem to have summer courses over the summer, some being as short as three weeks. If you're set on coming to NSUCOM this August, you'll find a way. I doubt that they'd let you defer your English Lit requirement until next year, nor do I think you'd want to do so. Best of luck.

I just received an email from a Leslie Jones-Meyer stating the following:

Hello Everyone,
Information regarding the Dell Laptop has been posted in Shark Link.
Thanks,
Leslie

The laptop purchase program created a ton of drama for the current M1's. If you are thinking of getting it, drop me a PM and I'll give you my take on it. It's got some pretty dramatic pros and cons, either of which could sway you.

If any one's coming down to do apartment hunting or anything and you need a place to stay, give me a shout. I've got an extra bedroom and I love having company :D

Ditto

lmao now that's the advice everyone was lookin for!!! :thumbup:

I misunderstood the advice to "be comfortable" and, upon my arrival, it was .....quite uncomfortable. Just wanted others to learn from my mistake.

Anyone know when we buy books? Anything I need done in the next few weeks? I am getting married in 5 days and then honeymooning and I will try my hardest not to be thinking of med school stuff then LOL! For anyone else wondering or having the module problem on WebCT...I am still only showing the pre-matriculation module and nothing else. I have contacted Dr. Whitehead and he is working on it. Thanks for all the advice Tol!!

Anyone else just get an email offering an accecptance for next year if you don't get in this year?

Yes, I just got the email as well. I am elated, to say the least.

Does anybody know what kind of information can be garnered from this? Chances for still getting in this year? How many people are offered this (especially this early in the summer)?

I got it as well. I was shaking I was so happy!:D

I am assuming our chances must be pretty good if they are offering us spots for next year. They obviously feel we are qualified and capable of being medical students at NOVA.

I am guessing the ones who were offered spots are at the top of the alternate list.

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Either way, we are going to be doctors! :p

Congrats!

I just got this too. Haha, I wonder if they just offered it to everyone on the alternate list and are gonna have the same problem next year (of overaccepting and having to put everyone on the alternate list)

In either case, I'm very happy and look forward to going there. Ugh, what the heck am I supposed to do for ONE YEAR though?

Well, I OFFICIALLY withdrew my acceptance on Wednesday. (Email sent Tuesday night). Amazing how efficient they are at dumping me from all of the groups and everything. It takes me 3 weeks to get a hold of someone and 3 hours to be completely cut off!

@ MossPoh, we dont want the "others" snooping around our group...:laugh: I believe your introduction in the Anderson group is still there.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm in the MD realm now. I can no longer associate with you peons. :p I mentioned how I was going to go to Nova at one of our orientation socials here and someone (who is a good guy..just didn't know any better) started to say how he heard Nova was "garbage" and "absolute trash". Don't worry, I defended it pretty heavily to the point he felt kind of bad for saying anything. I'm still more comfortable in the DO forums. The MD forums just feel.....wrong.

Don't you like my introduction? I thought it was pretty strong myself. I kept looking for replies but to no avail.

Anyone know when we buy books?

I would strongly encourage you to hold off on buying books. I have always been a guy who buys the book and reads it. You'll find that isn't a good use of your time in many of the classes. You'll also find that many of the recommended books won't be good resources for later, so another book might be a better purchase. Since the best deals on books are usually online, there is no loss to waiting. Multiple copies of the textbooks for the classes are available in the medical library and virtually always available. Very rarely will the book be necessary to be successful in the class, it's usually always supplementary.

Once you are here you should collect opinions from M2s regarding the books that are worth buying. Many folks buy nothing, a few bought like mad. Most people seem to buy books only for the areas that interest them. You'll get a wide variety of opinions but eventually you'll find one that seems to fit with your way of learning.

i got the same email. i can't believe it. anticipation for something over a year away is a killer!

I got it as well. I was shaking I was so happy!:D

I am assuming our chances must be pretty good if they are offering us spots for next year. They obviously feel we are qualified and capable of being medical students at NOVA.

I am guessing the ones who were offered spots are at the top of the alternate list.

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Either way, we are going to be doctors! :p

Congrats!
This happens sometimes when the incoming class is full but there are still qualified students on the alternate/waiting list. If you do accept the offer, its a binding contract (as far as I'm aware). There are often a few individuals who decline their offer extremely late (during orientation week) because they hear from another school. So, there is still hope if you plan on matriculating this year. Best of luck.

I'm surprised that it's so quiet on here. You guys will be here and ready to roll in two months! I know you have questions, everyone does... ;) This really should be a group effort.

I happened to check my webstar today and my status had changed from alternate status to Denied. I called and they told me that it was updated on the 10th. This sucks. :(

You guys should check for status changes, b/c apparently it changes before you get anything in the mail.

Hey guys,
I got off the waitlist at a cheaper school, closer to home, so I will be withdrawing from NSUCOM sometime this week. Hopefully one of you will get my spot!!! Good luck to those on the waitlist!

Hey all,

I got admitted to another DO school. So I'll be going there. I'll probably withdraw my application in about a week once everything is settled over there. If anyone is desperate to get in, when I withdraw, I could drop your name.

Hey all,

I got admitted to another DO school. So I'll be going there. I'll probably withdraw my application in about a week once everything is settled over there. If anyone is desperate to get in, when I withdraw, I could drop your name.

Hey Tabjam,
Congrats. You can drop my name. I would love to start this year instead of next. Good luck to you!:luck:

Hey guys,
I got off the waitlist at a cheaper school, closer to home, so I will be withdrawing from NSUCOM sometime this week. Hopefully one of you will get my spot!!! Good luck to those on the waitlist!

So have you withdrawn yet? I wonder who'll get your spot. Some lucky dude. Who knows, maybe me?:laugh: