NSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would love to get in now :) does anyone know how many ppl are left on the waiting list? I just wanted to gauge my chances...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I got off the waitlist at a cheaper school, closer to home, so I will be withdrawing from NSUCOM sometime this week. Hopefully one of you will get my spot!!! Good luck to those on the waitlist!

NYMC is cheaper? I thought it was tremendously expensive there?

Members don't see this ad :)
NYMC? what does it stand for? and where is it? not in Florida?

Just outside NYC in Valhalla or however it is spelled. Originally it was on 5th avenue right across from central park. Solid school. My dad went there and I was hoping for at least an interview. They also are one of the avenues for the little known "fifth pathway" program...or were. Don't know if they are anymore.

I would love to get in now :) does anyone know how many ppl are left on the waiting list? I just wanted to gauge my chances...

there are about 30 people that were offered the deferred acceptance for next year. everybody else who was on the waitlist has been denied (this is what i was told, but you know how reliable their information can be sometimes). also, there has been no movement yet this year, as they overfilled the class (i think this is common to do), and havent had enough withdrawals yet to reach the "threshold" of taking people off the waitlist.

apparently this june has been one of the slowest ever in regards to attrition on the acceptance list. maybe there will be an upswing in movement from july, but the admissions office is not anticipating it. personally, i am hoping the the few people who recently posted their intentions to attend other schools are indicative of a broader group of people with the same mindset.

I did my part. They dropped me from everything, but I don't know if the word was passed on. The NSU financial aid people called me today and I keep getting stuff in the mail. So, I will call tomorrow and try to clear stuff up.

I did my part. They dropped me from everything, but I don't know if the word was passed on. The NSU financial aid people called me today and I keep getting stuff in the mail. So, I will call tomorrow and try to clear stuff up.
Betrayer!

Betrayer!

I know, but for nearly 13k a year less in tuition alone (not counting the cheaper housing). My parents also give me free food all the time and I didn't have to pack.

I know, but for nearly 13k a year less in tuition alone (not counting the cheaper housing). My parents also give me free food all the time and I didn't have to pack.
Good point.

everybody else who was on the waitlist has been denied (this is what i was told, but you know how reliable their information can be sometimes). also, there has been no movement yet this year, as they overfilled the class (i think this is common to do), and havent had enough withdrawals yet to reach the "threshold" of taking people off the waitlist.

This mirrors my experience. I was offered a deferred spot, but I declined it with a request to stay on the wait list for this year since I've already accepted one deferred spot (I can't send everyone $2k). The response was basically that the class was full for this year and since then my Webstar account has been purged.

there are about 30 people that were offered the deferred acceptance for next year. everybody else who was on the waitlist has been denied (this is what i was told, but you know how reliable their information can be sometimes). also, there has been no movement yet this year, as they overfilled the class (i think this is common to do), and havent had enough withdrawals yet to reach the "threshold" of taking people off the waitlist.

apparently this june has been one of the slowest ever in regards to attrition on the acceptance list. maybe there will be an upswing in movement from july, but the admissions office is not anticipating it. personally, i am hoping the the few people who recently posted their intentions to attend other schools are indicative of a broader group of people with the same mindset.

thanks so much for the info! everytime i call ellen i get her voicemail. we will just have to see what happens :xf:. if they overfilled the class, there probably won't be that much movement on the waitlist. good thing they offered the deferred acceptance

I do think it is pretty classy and says a lot of the quality of the applicants to offer admission for the next year. They could just as easily told people "Sorry, try again next year!"

Members don't see this ad :)
I deferred acceptance around march, entering fall of 2010. Did anyone else defer/get a deferred acceptance to for class of 2014? someone mentioned above that 30 people or so deferred or were offerred deferred admission for next year.

Have you guys gotten Gradplus loans yet? Mine is taking forever

thanks so much for the info! everytime i call ellen i get her voicemail. we will just have to see what happens :xf:. if they overfilled the class, there probably won't be that much movement on the waitlist. good thing they offered the deferred acceptance

ellen is usually pretty good with emails, but calls are another thing. im sure shes a busy lady. i just circumvented all of that and called dr. whitehead. during his presentation on my interview day he mentioned that we could come to him with any questions, so i did. he was extremely helpful, and offered up information before i could even ask about it. he even gave his opinion on certain things and was very upfront. very refreshing.

Well this is going to be a stupid question but, where do we report to on the first day of orientation. I was looking at the orientation schedule for the week of 8/3 but it doesn't say exactly where we need to be on that day at 8am.

Have you guys gotten Gradplus loans yet? Mine is taking forever

who are you going through for grad plus? I went through salliemae and from the time I submitted the application to when they sent me the MPN to mail back took around 2 weeks.

Well this is going to be a stupid question but, where do we report to on the first day of orientation. I was looking at the orientation schedule for the week of 8/3 but it doesn't say exactly where we need to be on that day at 8am.
Usually it's in Steele Auditorium. It's difficult to house that many students otherwise.

who are you going through for grad plus? I went through salliemae and from the time I submitted the application to when they sent me the MPN to mail back took around 2 weeks.
Citi. I called today and they said they'd get it certified by tomm or Fri. I'll check back on Fri.

Usually it's in Steele Auditorium. It's difficult to house that many students otherwise.
I hope orientation week isn't too bad. I need at least that amount of time to get in the right frame of mind.

I see, thanks. Where did find out this information, because I looked all over.

It's on the fall schedule posted in the links section of sharklink

I hope orientation week isn't too bad. I need at least that amount of time to get in the right frame of mind.
I was not made aware of your schedule for orientation week, but it's nothing like the two weeks that we had. It's much more condensed with a few classes to help prepare you for what there is to come. Make friends during this time because those are the people that you will see a lot during your next two years. The friendships I made early on are the ones that remained after the "stress." :)

Citi. I called today and they said they'd get it certified by tomm or Fri. I'll check back on Fri.

I went through Citi too and havent heard anything by phone, email, or snail-mail. Which are we suppossed to hear from? I guess I'll just call tomorrow about it. Let me know how yours turns out.

I went through Citi too and havent heard anything by phone, email, or snail-mail. Which are we suppossed to hear from? I guess I'll just call tomorrow about it. Let me know how yours turns out.
nova told me gradplus loans are just getting certified for people, but sometimes people tell me stuff to get me off the phone. that's why i keep calling the school to make sure. once a day keeps the doctor away.

Any current students: when do we get to join clubs so that we can access all those lovely notes and old tests?

This may not be the right place to ask, but figured all the accepted students would know the answer: Do we have to use the evaluation forms provided in the secondary or can we just send letters of recommendation on letter head via snail mail? Thanks

This may not be the right place to ask, but figured all the accepted students would know the answer: Do we have to use the evaluation forms provided in the secondary or can we just send letters of recommendation on letter head via snail mail? Thanks

No. I used Interfolio. Snail mail would probably work too

i sent my letters via snail mail and it was fine. they got it pretty quickly

Any current students: when do we get to join clubs so that we can access all those lovely notes and old tests?
You're going to have a club week/day where the OMS-IIs E-boards will be at the respective booths looking for membership. Join clubs that you're interested in, most clubs offer "perks." Trust me, the money is well spent.

The clubs thing is pretty cool at every school, even if it is just for the free lunch. Check out the AMA deal. I think you get "free" netter flash cards for your ipod when you sign up for 4 years.

Hi, I have a question for any of the current Nova students out there---Does Nova call or email if they want to interview you? Thanks!:)

Hi, I have a question for any of the current Nova students out there---Does Nova call or email if they want to interview you? Thanks!:)

hey, for me I called to make sure they received all of my required documents, and at first they said no, but she double-checked for me and said they did. I asked when they are going to start interviews and I was told I will hear in about 2 weeks. 20 minutes later I got an email inviting me for an interview. My advice is to you is that you should really stay on top of your stuff and follow-up with the schools you applied to.

Does anyone know if Medicaid meets these criteria as far as mandatory health insurance is concerned at NSU?

1. Maximum plan coverage of at least $200,000 per incident.
2. Insurance that is accepted in the State of Florida and/or at the NSU Health Clinic.
3. Coverage will be in effect for the entire academic year.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Group A oblivion
<------------

There aren't a whole lot of changes for Group A. I think the labs switch times and the IGC groups rotate every week. I think you will be ok....you figured out a cool avatar after all!

PS.... what was the WebCT quiz titled NSU Endorsed Latitude E6400?? I never did it and now it expired. I was thinking it was one of the ones due 7/31. But apparently it was 7/01. Now I'm wondering what happens since I never did it...??

How do we know which group we are in???

Hey its determined by which academical society you are in.

Group A people are the ones in Anderson, Burns, Klien, Lippmann, and Silvagni

Group B people are the ones in, Silverman, Still, Terry, Turner, Zafonte

PS.... what was the WebCT quiz titled NSU Endorsed Latitude E6400?? I never did it and now it expired. I was thinking it was one of the ones due 7/31. But apparently it was 7/01. Now I'm wondering what happens since I never did it...??

i think it just means that you cannot purchase the laptop anymore from school