NSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey its determined by which academical society you are in.

Group A people are the ones in Anderson, Burns, Klien, Lippmann, and Silvagni

Group B people are the ones in, Silverman, Still, Terry, Turner, Zafonte

Ohhhh okay thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I recently got my acceptance package for the class of 2014, entering fall 2010 (I interviewed this year and was offered a deferred spot for next year's class!). In the letter it says that I have to take 4 semester hours of organic chemistry with a grade of C or better. I got a C- in orgo 2 during undergrad. This is the first time I have heard about needing additional semester hours.

I have no problem re-taking the class however, I don't remember there being a specific grade requirement for NOVA before. When I checked this years requirements it says C or better but I thought for the class of 2013 it just said satisfactory completion of the requirements. Am I imagining this or was it changed for this upcoming application cycle?

I am mainly asking because I am still on the alternate list for the year's class (2013) and if I am accepted I won't have time to complete orgo 2 before orientation. I want to know if there is a chance I can still go this year or if I should just start getting super excited for next year.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I recently got my acceptance package for the class of 2014, entering fall 2010 (I interviewed this year and was offered a deferred spot for next year's class!). In the letter it says that I have to take 4 semester hours of organic chemistry with a grade of C or better. I got a C- in orgo 2 during undergrad. This is the first time I have heard about needing additional semester hours.

I have no problem re-taking the class however, I don't remember there being a specific grade requirement for NOVA before. When I checked this years requirements it says C or better but I thought for the class of 2013 it just said satisfactory completion of the requirements. Am I imagining this or was it changed for this upcoming application cycle?

I am mainly asking because I am still on the alternate list for the year's class (2013) and if I am accepted I won't have time to complete orgo 2 before orientation. I want to know if there is a chance I can still go this year or if I should just start getting super excited for next year.

Thanks in advance!
It was my understanding that you needed a C or better in all the prereqs. Congrats on your acceptance for 2014!

I agree with redrumi. It sucks but your gonna have to take it again. At least you know where you're going to be next year.

So I moved down last week. I'm getting all settled. Now I realize we have less than a month before we start. Has anyone else pooped their pants?

Totally freaking out here. Getting my apartment packed in Cincinnati and heading down there on Sunday....will be there on Tuesday sometimes... Anyone know when the freaking out stops????

I gotta say I'm jealous of all you already down there...but then again nothing beats Chicago in the summer...I'm driving my car down there on the20th and setting up the apt then come back here for a wedding..and then coming back on the 30th or so..gotta say I am nervous as hell to start school but excited at the same time

I'm flying there tomorrow because I have no car. I have so many things and items that I wanted to bring but just can't. Then I have to pick up my car down there, go shopping, setup my room, get settled, adapt.....

With school starting in 3 weeks... I have to say that I am a little nervous as well. One of my friends says to me, "you'll be fine, you either adapt or failout". :oops:

im sure you'll adapt :xf:

im getting very anxious for this whole thing to start!! everyone keeps telling me to just relax and enjoy these last few weeks I have off...but I cant quit thinking about starting!

so I'm still in shock, but I just got called off the waitlist for this year. I can't believe it! so much to do, so little time. can't wait to join all of you!

so I'm still in shock, but I just got called off the waitlist for this year. I can't believe it! so much to do, so little time. can't wait to join all of you!
Congrats Jewels. Happy for you!

Hey,

I just got in off the wait list... am looking for roommate(s), preferably someone who has already set up shop down there. Looking to make this happen ASAP. I am very down to earth and neat. I will be studying hard but am not opposed to occasional outings and what not.

I should add that I am a guy... though I have no preference in that regard. If you're interested or know of anyone, please let me know soon.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I just got in off the wait list... am looking for roommate(s), preferably someone who has already set up shop down there. Looking to make this happen ASAP. I am very down to earth and neat. I will be studying hard but am not opposed to occasional outings and what not.

I should add that I am a guy... though I have no preference in that regard. If you're interested or know of anyone, please let me know soon.

Thanks

wow, another person off the waitlist, anyways congratulations on your acceptance!

Thanks! Anyone looking for a roomie!??! haha

To the new people who just got in off the waitlist:

CONGRATS! Be sure to look on nova.edu -> Groups -> "DO Class of 2013 Group" and on the two facebook groups for our class. You will find several people on there looking for roomates still.

PS.... what was the WebCT quiz titled NSU Endorsed Latitude E6400?? I never did it and now it expired. I was thinking it was one of the ones due 7/31. But apparently it was 7/01. Now I'm wondering what happens since I never did it...??

It was for the laptops and their "deal".

(Duplicate message as Medical Students Forum)

There's about six of us so far that are going to play some volleyball at Cameron Cove tomorrow. Its across from the HPD clinic. Stop by or leave me a message on here if you wanna come! Sunday @ 1 PM

2861 SW 79th Ave, Apt 203 (Josh)
Davie, FL 33328

To the new people who just got in off the waitlist:

CONGRATS! Be sure to look on nova.edu -> Groups -> "DO Class of 2013 Group" and on the two facebook groups for our class. You will find several people on there looking for roomates still.

Thanks.:D

Can't seem to find the 'group' tab. I tried joining one of the facebook groups.. but apparently you have to be approved by an administrator, still haven't gotten that.

Thanks.:D Can't seem to find the 'group' tab.

You will have to request to join the group. From nova.edu go to the top right QuickLinks Tab and click on SharkLink. Sign into SharkLink then click on the "Groups" button on the top right of the main page. You will have to search for the group "DO Class of 2013" and request to join it. This is where ALL of our class info, orientation info, and everything important is located. Also it has a pretty useful message board that everyone has been using. If any of this isnt working correctly or to get this process going even faster you should email Leslie Jones-Meyer ([email protected]) and say you just got accepted and need to join.

I tried joining one of the facebook groups.. but apparently you have to be approved by an administrator, still haven't gotten that.

John's quick, should be good in a day or two.

Does anyone know how to apply for a parking pass at NSU and how much it costs for us grad students? I looked all over on the NSU site but failed to find any relevant information.

Does anyone know how to apply for a parking pass at NSU and how much it costs for us grad students? I looked all over on the NSU site but failed to find any relevant information.
I thought I was told parking would be free, but I am not 100% sure. Also I have no clue on how to get the pass.

Hey Guys,

There is an office called the "One Stop Shop" on campus its over in the Horvitz building, just swing in there and they will get you a decal. Remember to bring a copy of the car registration for the decal application and you'll be set. They are paid for in the tuition and fees.

Hey Guys,

There is an office called the "One Stop Shop" on campus its over in the Horvitz building, just swing in there and they will get you a decal. Remember to bring a copy of the car registration for the decal application and you'll be set. They are paid for in the tuition and fees.

Ya I just got my decal yesterday, unfortunately the lady at the desk said I'll have to come back and renew the decal sometime in mid August, because it's still the 08-09 decal.

They didn't even check my car registration....

did you have to get your student ID first? can we do that already?

did you have to get your student ID first? can we do that already?

No I didn't get my ID first, they just gave me the parking decal.

I'm not exactly sure about the student ID and when we are suppose to receive it, but when I searched around NSU's site, I found this "SharkCard Agreement" form that one can fill out and submit it to the Campus Card Services to apply for your NSU ID card. You're also required to submit a passport size photo along with the form.

However, it did also say in parenthesis that, "this procedure is for distance learning students and educational centers only". I'm pretty sure I don't fall under either catagory, so does anyone know if this is indeed what we need to do to obtain our NSU ID's?

I want to get my card before orientation so I can put money on it for food.

No I didn't get my ID first, they just gave me the parking decal.

I'm not exactly sure about the student ID and when we are suppose to receive it, but when I searched around NSU's site, I found this "SharkCard Agreement" form that one can fill out and submit it to the Campus Card Services to apply for your NSU ID card. You're also required to submit a passport size photo along with the form.

However, it did also say in parenthesis that, "this procedure is for distance learning students and educational centers only". I'm pretty sure I don't fall under either catagory, so does anyone know if this is indeed what we need to do to obtain our NSU ID's?

I want to get my card before orientation so I can put money on it for food.

I was able to get my sharkcard last week. All you have to do is go to the student union card office and fill out a form. Make sure you have your NSU ID number on you. After you fill out the form they'll take your picture and print out your card. If you want to add money onto the card, after they print it out there is a machine in the office where you can do so.

I was able to get my sharkcard last week. All you have to do is go to the student union card office and fill out a form. Make sure you have your NSU ID number on you. After you fill out the form they'll take your picture and print out your card. If you want to add money onto the card, after they print it out there is a machine in the office where you can do so.

Awesome, thanks.

Where is the student union card office?

Also... what does orientation week consist of?? Do we actually start classes that week or what? The schedule is a bit confusing.

Hey the card services office is in the university center (where the gym is). Its on the first floor. I am planning on going to campus on Wednesday if you want to come with me. Good luck!

Hey the card services office is in the university center (where the gym is). Its on the first floor. I am planning on going to campus on Wednesday if you want to come with me. Good luck!

Perfect!!! I'll email you my phone #.

Would you mind posting what the secondary questions are? I would like to work on them and I am still waiting for my application to be verified! Thanks!! :)

Would you mind posting what the secondary questions are? I would like to work on them and I am still waiting for my application to be verified! Thanks!! :)

Holy cow I cannot believe it has been a whole year since we were going through this process. It feels like...5 minutes ago. Insane.

LindseyLou - Good luck to you!! I hope someone has those secondary questions for you. :)

Where is the student union card office?

Also... what does orientation week consist of?? Do we actually start classes that week or what? The schedule is a bit confusing.
You will have orientation forums (Assessments, Photos, etc) along with the start of your Osteopathic Principles and Practices and Clinical Praticum course (with associated labs).

You will have orientation forums (Assessments, Photos, etc) along with the start of your Osteopathic Principles and Practices and Clinical Praticum course (with associated labs).

Great - thanks so much.

Also... really dumb question but any place in the schedule where there's a block that says "STUDY" does that just mean "NO CLASS"?

Great - thanks so much.

Also... really dumb question but any place in the schedule where there's a block that says "STUDY" does that just mean "NO CLASS"?
That is correct. Any free time that students have up until 5:00pm is considered study time. The Class of 2013 is fortunate to have more free time built into the schedule than any previous class. Enjoy every moment you can of your first year.

That is correct. Any free time that students have up until 5:00pm is considered study time. The Class of 2013 is fortunate to have more free time built into the schedule than any previous class. Enjoy every moment you can of your first year.

Awesome. Why did they give us more free time??

Do we need to get our NSU ID card prior to orientation? I just wanted to get my parking decal but if we can get our ID cards at orientation then that's fine with me.

One more thing... very random...

I know it's early, but I have a question about rural rotations. How far are they usually from Davie (in terms of hours)? Are they usually in like northern Florida?

I know it's early, but I have a question about rural rotations. How far are they usually from Davie (in terms of hours)? Are they usually in like northern Florida?
I don't know how far the average one is, I think they said the closest one is 45mins to an hour away.

I don't know how far the average one is, I think they said the closest one is 45mins to an hour away.

Oh okay thanks :) Hey why is your username "i murder" backwards?? Creepyyy!! lol Should I be scared of you??

I can tell you that to drive from Davie to Tallahassee can be done in 6.5 hours if you only slightly break the speed limit. So, anything east of Tallahassee will be in the 5-6 hour range, if things run smooth. Gainesville is probably a little less than 5 hours...(I've done it in 4 hours and 15 minutes). I don't know where their rotations are, but certain locales like that are pretty good milestones to approximate.

I can tell you that to drive from Davie to Tallahassee can be done in 6.5 hours if you only slightly break the speed limit. So, anything east of Tallahassee will be in the 5-6 hour range, if things run smooth. Gainesville is probably a little less than 5 hours...(I've done it in 4 hours and 15 minutes). I don't know where their rotations are, but certain locales like that are pretty good milestones to approximate.

Wow yeah that's true. I think you said you're going to FSU now, but do you know what year we NSUers do our rural rotations??

And how will we know who people are tomorrow? we should have a SDN meet up!

Has anyone figured out how to study and still have a life?

Its hard. I feel like when I am studying I am missing out and when I am not studying I feel like I should be. Its a little rough. I think studying with good friends is nice because you can take breaks and be silly and whatnot or vent if you are frustrated. But yea....anatomy sucks!

And it's probably already been asked and answered somewhere in here before, but there's 51-ish pages on this thread and I'm too lazy to read them all :p...

Just wondering, how long until your application is complete before you hear from them about an interview? My apps have been complete for over a month now, and I still haven't heard from them, and I keep calling but the people that answer don't really know anything except for the same information that you see in Webstar.

Should I be worried because they keep telling me it's complete and I'm still not hearing from them. Last year, they did this to me and I found out mid-March that they screwed up my application, and this year, I caught the screw up early on in September just in time to remedy it. But yeah, now they keep telling me it's all good, but when do I hear?

Thanks guys.

How much is the secondary fee?

$50

And it's probably already been asked and answered somewhere in here before, but there's 51-ish pages on this thread and I'm too lazy to read them all :p...

Just wondering, how long until your application is complete before you hear from them about an interview? My apps have been complete for over a month now, and I still haven't heard from them, and I keep calling but the people that answer don't really know anything except for the same information that you see in Webstar.

Should I be worried because they keep telling me it's complete and I'm still not hearing from them. Last year, they did this to me and I found out mid-March that they screwed up my application, and this year, I caught the screw up early on in September just in time to remedy it. But yeah, now they keep telling me it's all good, but when do I hear?

Thanks guys.

I was complete for about a week and half before i got an interview from Nova. It really varies though, the norm is probably a few weeks, some less, some more. All you can really do is sit tight and play the waiting game at this point (since you've already made sure that there are no mixups with your app.

You might want to consider writing a letter of intent, or update them on recent activities you've been involved in, or grades, etc if you haven't heard anything by December. I'm sure it will come tho! I was complete at one of my top schools since the beginning of September and heard nothing and almost gave up hope, but just got an interview yesterday... so you never know when it will come!! Good Luck :luck: