NSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
who knows but the waitlist must be huge, they have waitilisted pretty much everyone who has interviewed since february
actuaqlly, its since january..i dont think anyone has been accepted after jan 1

Members don't see this ad.

they surely are running the admissions game differently this year. i wonder why that is??accept almost everyone who interviewed before the new year and alternate status everyone after the new year. i wonder what happend during last years admission cycle for them to change it up this way..if i had known they were going to do this, i would have bit the bullet financially and interviewed in november or december instead of holding off. oh well.

they surely are running the admissions game differently this year. i wonder why that is??accept almost everyone who interviewed before the new year and alternate status everyone after the new year. i wonder what happend during last years admission cycle for them to change it up this way..if i had known they were going to do this, i would have bit the bullet financially and interviewed in november or december instead of holding off. oh well.

They let me in w/o waitlisting (I interviewed Feb 6th..I think). Trust me, that's not a mistake YOU'D wanna make twice!

:p

Also..they most certainly did NOT accept almost everyone who interviewed before the new year.

Members don't see this ad :)
There were plenty of waitlists and rejections before the new year. But since Jan 1st, its been almost all waitlists. The admissions game was definitely run different this year. (The Dean said they had some computer issues in the Fall and it changed around a lot of their interview/acceptance numbers and admissions timelines)

I am posting this here because I feel I might get a quicker response than if it were in the osteo class forum. I know we are suppose to mail in our transcripts 90 days from registration, but what exactly is 90 days from? I know it seems easy enough, but I would like to clarify if this is before or after the official first day of call. is it still acceptable to send in transcripts after the offical M1 start date? Thanks for your responses.

I am posting this here because I feel I might get a quicker response than if it were in the osteo class forum. I know we are suppose to mail in our transcripts 90 days from registration, but what exactly is 90 days from? I know it seems easy enough, but I would like to clarify if this is before or after the official first day of call. is it still acceptable to send in transcripts after the offical M1 start date? Thanks for your responses.
If your program doesn't end until late, its okay. If your program ends early, do so prudently. Just notify the ADCOM that your program doesn't end until...XX/XX/2009. They should understand your situation and grant you that leniency. I would write them a letter and call thereafter for a response.

Thanks HemaOnco for your reply. I am currently out of school and have been working for the past 2 years (I guess that makes me a non-trad:D).
Say registrations starts sometime in May, would the 90 days from registration be before May or after May?

Thanks HemaOnco for your reply. I am currently out of school and have been working for the past 2 years (I guess that makes me a non-trad:D).
Say registrations starts sometime in May, would the 90 days from registration be before May or after May?

Ok, SOMEONE'S got to point it out. If you've been out of school for 2 years, just go a head and do it. If you're going to have to do it by either the beginning of may, or the end of may, why not do it now and just avoid the whole mess?

Ok, SOMEONE'S got to point it out. If you've been out of school for 2 years, just go a head and do it. If you're going to have to do it by either the beginning of may, or the end of may, why not do it now and just avoid the whole mess?
Thanks for making my point even more evident :p

Thanks for making my point even more evident :p

I live to serve.
<3

So, I got an e-mail about the peer mentor thing, and i opened it, all excited hopeful that it was saying "you were accepted" or even "you were rejected" you know, just so I'd know? ... but no, it was a letter telling me I could pick up my letter monday morning

>.<

CURSES!

Regarding the "Alternate List". Two other students that I know and myself interviewed on January 15th and all of us were put on the "Alternate List". However, I called the admissions office a few days ago and they said (Thursday 3/26) was the last interview date and "Alternate list" students will hear back in the the first week of April. Has anyone else heard anything like this?

I live to serve.
<3

So, I got an e-mail about the peer mentor thing, and i opened it, all excited hopeful that it was saying "you were accepted" or even "you were rejected" you know, just so I'd know? ... but no, it was a letter telling me I could pick up my letter monday morning

>.<

CURSES!
That's what we had to do. It makes it a lot more official.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding the "Alternate List". Two other students that I know and myself interviewed on January 15th and all of us were put on the "Alternate List". However, I called the admissions office a few days ago and they said (Thursday 3/26) was the last interview date and "Alternate list" students will hear back in the the first week of April. Has anyone else heard anything like this?

Great thanks!

I was also told that I would find out in the first week of April regarding my waitlist status.

I was placed on the alternate list in early february (ARG why did I push back my November invite into January) Anyway I called last week to ask if there was a date that we would hear about a final decision or if there was waitlist movement. The girl straight out told me that the class was full and that I should apply for next year if I want to go to NSU. ????? It was weird.

I was placed on the alternate list in early february (ARG why did I push back my November invite into January) Anyway I called last week to ask if there was a date that we would hear about a final decision or if there was waitlist movement. The girl straight out told me that the class was full and that I should apply for next year if I want to go to NSU. ????? It was weird.

What a b*atch, haha. hopefully you got another acceptance. I unfortunately moved my nova interview back but i have other acceptances so im not too upset about the waitlist.

I was also told that I would find out in the first week of April regarding my waitlist status.
The girl straight out told me that the class was full and that I should apply for next year if I want to go to NSU. ????? It was weird.

Dancer - Give them a call and say you were told that they would have an update on your status. From what Psych said, the class might be full... but its completely within your right to call and ask about your status. Best of luck.

So, I e-mailed Ellen

" All students do receive official letters from NSU Admission explaining their status. No decisions have been made on the Alternate list applicants as of yet. Applicants will be notified if anything changes in their status and they of course can always check webstar 24/7 to see their updated status."

So I'm not really sure who you spoke to, but you either misunderstood or they misspoke.

Damn, it looks a bit grim for us waitlisters. I too am kicking myself for scheduling a Jan interview off a November invite...but I had no way of knowing.

I wonder why that girl would say that though...maybe that is the word around the admissions dept and she let it slip.

I will probably be "rejecting" (for lack of a better term) my seat at NOVA sometime soon. That means there still is hope for you waitlisters!! Best of luck to everyone.

I wonder why that girl would say that though...maybe that is the word around the admissions dept and she let it slip.

Well since the fate of any waitlister at any school is uncertain I think it would be wrong of the admissions staff to be getting peoples hopes up falsely. If you are waitlisted you need to be making alternate plans you can't bet on something like this working out because you don't have a guaranteed spot at nsu as of now. The folks in admissions can only guess at the odds someone might have at coming off the waitlist at this point. Maybe the office worker was too crass in the delivery of this message, maybe it was just a function of the telephone game we are playing. Either way good luck to the people who are on the waitlist.

I'm going to check out apartments in a few weeks... I'm buying plane tickets tonight. I'm wondering which are the best and safest towns near Nova. I've heard good things about Hollywood and Plantation. Can anyone tell me more about that?? Thanks in advance!!

Plantation looks really safe and Sunrise is pretty comparable. Lauderhill is not so hot. Davie seems fine. Sorry I forgot to send you the police officer info! I found it really helpful to call the local police departments and give them the addresses of the apartments we were looking at. They were able to give me exact numbers of burglaries, vehicle break-ins, and robberies. I think it is most helpful by address. Good luck!

Plantation looks really safe and Sunrise is pretty comparable. Lauderhill is not so hot. Davie seems fine. Sorry I forgot to send you the police officer info! I found it really helpful to call the local police departments and give them the addresses of the apartments we were looking at. They were able to give me exact numbers of burglaries, vehicle break-ins, and robberies. I think it is most helpful by address. Good luck!

Thanks so much!!! I think I'm going to visit those complexes you told me about.

Thanks so much!!! I think I'm going to visit those complexes you told me about.

How far are plantations and hollywood from the school by car? And what's the average monthly rent if you share with someone?

Sigh it's April already, I really need to start looking at the map around the school, I haven't the slightest clue where to even start to look for a place to rent.

Also did anyone receive a letter in the email about deferring one year? I received the same letter twice, which I find a little bit weird.

Last edited:
Can someone fill me in on NSU's Center for Collaborative Research and the Academical Village plans?

FYI--

I received an official email today from my admissions counselor stating that the 2013 class is full, and they gave me the option to stay on as an alternate should any spots open up. She also reiterated that alternate candidates are 'unranked' and all alternates will be considered should a spot open up.

Best of luck everyone.

I just talked to Sarah in the admissions office today, and she said that its 90 days from our registration, which is during orientation (so.. early August) HOWEVER, you should get them in earlier than that.. at least 2 weeks before registration, to ensure that everything is ok for financial aid and all that stuff (not sure what financial aid has to do with transcripts, but whatever). I emailed her after we spoke today to confirm, because I received an email about it since I haven't sent in my transcripts as yet, so I will confirm this once she replies.

On another note, does anyone else find it annoying that we have to pay for transcripts from schools that Nova ALREADY has transcripts for?? The reason I was given was that they have to cross-reference the transcripts with the ones from AACOMAS because "AACOMAS can make mistakes". I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure we pay almost $200 for an application service to NOT make simple mistakes! I hate this whole entire process. I can't wait to just START med school.

I just talked to Sarah in the admissions office today, and she said that its 90 days from our registration, which is during orientation (so.. early August) HOWEVER, you should get them in earlier than that.. at least 2 weeks before registration, to ensure that everything is ok for financial aid and all that stuff (not sure what financial aid has to do with transcripts, but whatever). I emailed her after we spoke today to confirm, because I received an email about it since I haven't sent in my transcripts as yet, so I will confirm this once she replies.

On another note, does anyone else find it annoying that we have to pay for transcripts from schools that Nova ALREADY has transcripts for?? The reason I was given was that they have to cross-reference the transcripts with the ones from AACOMAS because "AACOMAS can make mistakes". I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure we pay almost $200 for an application service to NOT make simple mistakes! I hate this whole entire process. I can't wait to just START med school.

I thought the transcripts sent through AACOM were official, you need to send them all transcripts from all schools again? separately? I kind of ignored that part stating the necesity for all transcripts in the letter they sent me.

I thought the transcripts sent through AACOM were official, you need to send them all transcripts from all schools again? separately? I kind of ignored that part stating the necesity for all transcripts in the letter they sent me.
I would still send them. It is mainly geared towards students who are finishing their semester. It would not hurt unless you consider spending $5-$10 as painful.

I hate this whole entire process. I can't wait to just START med school.

Well... umm... err.... it only gets worse after school begins. The bureaucracy just elevates to a new level.

And you get to do it again when you apply for residency...
And for licensing...
And for a job...
And to transfer to a new state...
And to get credentials at hospitals in the area...
ad infinatum

I was sad to leave Nova because, during school, Leslie in Dr. Whitehead's office took care of most of the paperwork for me, thus saving me a lot of headaches.

Well... umm... err.... it only gets worse after school begins. The bureaucracy just elevates to a new level.

And you get to do it again when you apply for residency...
And for licensing...
And for a job...
And to transfer to a new state...
And to get credentials at hospitals in the area...
ad infinatum

I was sad to leave Nova because, during school, Leslie in Dr. Whitehead's office took care of most of the paperwork for me, thus saving me a lot of headaches.

Yes, but for some of that stuff you can hire others to do it if you want. ;) My dad hired a company for a few states with longer licensing crap. Cost a lot of money, but hey...sometimes it is worth not having the hassle.

This brings me to another point...make sure you stay on Leslie's good side. The woman is amazing and wonderful and I think I would have lost my mind with out her.

I'm on SDN infrequently but am more than willing to answer questions by PM or email. I'm an M1.

Congrats to all who've been accepted and best of luck to those who are checking their email fifty times/day!

T

FYI--

I received an official email today from my admissions counselor stating that the 2013 class is full, and they gave me the option to stay on as an alternate should any spots open up. She also reiterated that alternate candidates are 'unranked' and all alternates will be considered should a spot open up.

Best of luck everyone.

I got the same thing. How about all the other people on here who said they were give alternate statuses? Did everyone hear the same thing or did some alternates get offered acceptances post-March 15?

I got the same thing. How about all the other people on here who said they were give alternate statuses? Did everyone hear the same thing or did some alternates get offered acceptances post-March 15?

I got the same letter this week. I interviewed and got on the Alternate list in January.

Did that letter come via regular mail or e-mail? I was put on the alternate list back in early February and did not get that letter.

I never got the letter...I got waitlisted in February. I was thinking they were sending that email based on when you got waitlisted? Does this make sense?

When I called Nova and asked if they were going to call people off the waitlist, they replied that I would be receiving a letter in the mail about my waitlist status and they could not reveal what the letter said.

Nova is my first choice so I hope it's good news, but was anybody else told this same thing? If the class was full, wouldn't they just mass email the waitlist and tell them so?

I'm holding out hope.

I just received an email from a Leslie Jones-Meyer stating the following:

Hello Everyone,
Information regarding the Dell Laptop has been posted in Shark Link.
Thanks,
Leslie

Where on Shark Link?? I cannot seem to find it. Thanks in advance. Looking forward to meeting everyone in August!!

Hello Everyone,
Thanks,
Leslie

Where on Shark Link?? I cannot seem to find it. Thanks in advance. Looking forward to meeting everyone in August!!

The information is not on shark link per se. it's just part of one of the two emails she sent today. You will need to download the attached doc.

Hello Everyone,
Thanks,
Leslie

under groups , DO Class of 2013

then files, and there are two spec files one a .doc and one a .pdf and a third file called NSU COM Laptop 2009/2010.docx

The information is not on shark link per se. it's just part of one of the two emails she sent today. You will need to download the attached doc.

Hmmm.. never got the second email.

under groups , DO Class of 2013

then files, and there are two spec files one a .doc and one a .pdf and a third file called NSU COM Laptop 2009/2010.docx

Great - got it. Thanks!!

Now do we NEED to purchase this Dell comp.? what if we already have a feasible laptop?? And if we don't purchase that (and we don't live on campus), I assume we can deduct that from the Total fees due before the beginning of the semester?

Also, I was looking at the academic calendar... What exactly is the "Summer Term?" I saw Fall Term, Winter Term and then Summer Term. What are they referring to?? I wasn't aware that after our M1 year that we needed to attend classes during a "Summer Term"...???

Does the Summer Term refer to students requiring remediation??

I'm not going to buy that new laptop, I have my own laptop that works perfectly well.