NSU-COM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
also is there a way you can find out if the residency is allopathic/osteopathic, or is it combined on the sheets they give on their website?

Members don't see this ad.

also is there a way you can find out if the residency is allopathic/osteopathic, or is it combined on the sheets they give on their website?
Breathe young padawan, breathe!

If you must know:

They usually post the matchlist on the website at the end of May.

The list has both programs combined, but the residencies that have "COM" or the name of osteopathic institution listed are, for the most part, osteopathic in nature. You will soon learn that osteopathic vs. allopathic does not matter for many of the residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is traditional rotating and what is transitional year?

What's the different between internal medicine/pediatrics and just pediatrics?

Hell Yeah! That's a pretty sweet list!
This year's preliminary list is amazing.

Some programs require an extra year before you start their program. The fave five states (MI, WV, FL, etc) require an extra year of residency prior to practicing in that state.

What is traditional rotating and what is transitional year?

What's the different between internal medicine/pediatrics and just pediatrics?

Every first post-graduate year is effectively an internship, where you rotate through different hospital wards with responsibilities you didn't have as a med student. Most (or many) residencies include the intern year as part of the residency, but your intern year is not very different whether you're doing surgery or medicine. If you just want to be a general practitioner, you're done after the intern year.

Historically, DOs used to always do a traditional rotating internship before residency. Now only 5 states require it (FL, MI, OK, PA, WV). In theory you have to do a traditional rotating internship to be part of the AOA anywhere, but there are 3-4 ways around this, even in the 5 states. Many DO residency programs include the internship; some residencies start in year 2 after the internship.

You typically do a transitional year if you're an MD and you don't know what you want to specialize in yet, or if you want to match in a residency that starts with the 2nd post-graduate year (as an MD, or as a DO wanting to match ACGME). Again, some residencies (like surgery) commonly start in year 2, but some programs include the intern year.

Internal medicine by itself is adult medicine - usually a 3 year residency. Pediatrics is kid medicine, also 3 years. If you do IM/Peds, then you are double-boarding in both in 5 years.

This year's preliminary list is amazing.

You can say that again. Somebody on that list matched into a pathology program at my alma mater (University of Toronto). Granted, path isn't a very competitive specialty, but for a DO to match into a residency program in CANADA, particularly in a specialty aside from family medicine, is HUGE.

After the May 15th date, seats were made available and at least a handful of applicants were granted admissions. Periodically, as deposit deadlines pass, more seats will open up. Last year, there were about a handful of stunts who were granted admission a month before up until a week before class.

Congrats to those who have been accepted. Best of luck to everyone.

At what point does the alternate list and the waitlist combine (if that actually happens)?

in an email about 2 weeks ago or so Rachel told me the class was filled, so I guess then the lists are combined. Are there still people that are waiting in silence since their interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am! there is no update for me I am just waiting........

in an email about 2 weeks ago or so Rachel told me the class was filled, so I guess then the lists are combined. Are there still people that are waiting in silence since their interviews?
There is a difference between whether all the seats are filled and whether those seats will remain filled. Keep the dream alive.

Hey, what's the word about societies? I thought we were supposed to be assigned to one by April 1st. Did I miss an email or something?

Hey, what's the word about societies? I thought we were supposed to be assigned to one by April 1st. Did I miss an email or something?

Nope...I mean unless I missed it too. That may be it. Secretly, they decided that they don't want us anymore...sorry! :p

Just kidding...They're kinda behind on those things...still haven't given details about the computers yet either.

I'll find out about the academic societies, but it's not a pressing issue. The computer issue is still being ironed out.

Nope...I mean unless I missed it too. That may be it. Secretly, they decided that they don't want us anymore...sorry! :p

Just kidding...They're kinda behind on those things...still haven't given details about the computers yet either.

I'll find out about the academic societies, but it's not a pressing issue. The computer issue is still being ironed out.

Any chance we're going to find out what the curriculum/schedule will be like any time soon?

(BTW: Thanks for always finding this stuff out for us!!)

LOL, sorry, but they're still ironing things out with the curriculum. The peer mentors are anxious to learn of the academic society assignments.

Any chance we're going to find out what the curriculum/schedule will be like any time soon?

(BTW: Thanks for always finding this stuff out for us!!)

Does Nova have any programs for undergrads for exposure/learning experiences in DO school just like clinical stuff like volunteering? Has anyone done the Clinical exploration program?

LOL, sorry, but they're still ironing things out with the curriculum. The peer mentors are anxious to learn of the academic society assignments.

Wow. Is the curriculum really going to change that much from this year to next?

Does Nova have any programs for undergrads for exposure/learning experiences in DO school just like clinical stuff like volunteering? Has anyone done the Clinical exploration program?
The Honor Society Sigma Sigma Phi has information events with other undergraduate institutions such as U Miami, FAU, etc. I'm sure there are events scheduled through the pre-med club at Nova (assuming there is one).

Our award letter are posted on WebStar ya'll.

What do we do now?
How long do we have to accept?
Why wouldn't you get the max Staff? (based of EFC)?

And... most importantly...... which lender to pick? Eee gads.

Our award letter are posted on WebStar ya'll.

What do we do now?
How long do we have to accept?
Why wouldn't you get the max Staff? (based of EFC)?

And... most importantly...... which lender to pick? Eee gads.

Damn! Mine hasn't been posted yet...but maybe that means mine will be up in a couple of days!

Do you have any specific info on how the arrangement would change?
If you guys want to take my finals for me, I'll write each of you a manual on how to survive your M1 year. I need 100% compliance though. :p

The curriculum has not been ironed out and there's no guarantee that is will definitely change for your M1 year, but they are arranging the basic science courses; biochem, physiology, microbiology; into a single course based on systems. Anatomy and COM courses will be separate entities. This is all that I'm going to comment on so I don't shoot myself in the foot.

You'll get information via snail mail concerning financial aid. You'll have to compare and contrast the lenders to see which is best for you. Most students consolidate with their undergrad/grad loans, so incentives down the line are not that important. Do what's the best for you. I'll see if I have anything posted on the 2011 website. If I do, I'll transfer it to the 2012 website.

Some students don't need the max staff...they can afford it. I know that one of my classmates paid for the first year in full.

If you guys want to take my finals for me, I'll write each of you a manual on how to survive your M1 year. I need 100% compliance though. :p

I'll happily take your finals for you.

....I can't guarantee you'll PASS...but I'll happily take them for you.

I'll happily take your finals for you.

....I can't guarantee you'll PASS...but I'll happily take them for you.
Well, I'm assuming that with 100% compliance that I'll get straight As.

To answer some of the questions that have been posed:

1) There will be no problem getting into graduate housing before orientation/medstart starts. Move in is August 1st, orientation/medstart starts August 4th.

2) Medstart and Orientation are one and the same this year.

3) There are NO Medstart courses this year.

4) The Medstart/Orientation schedule is up on the website.

5) Academic societies assignments will be distributed next week via email. Your EMPs will be notifying you thereafter.

6) Fin. aid and Registration will occur June 1st. There will be an orientation webct module that will have HPIAA, Myers-Brigg, Student Handbook and possibly OSHA within the course. You will get this info at the time of registration.

Thanks HOD, a huge help as always. I have a quick question for you. Dr. Whitehead sent out an e-mail regarding NSU endorsed laptops from Dell at a discounted price, but he hasn't yet sent out an e-mail telling us the details of this. Is this the first year they are doing this, and if not, do you know exactly what kind of deal they work out with the computer company? Thanks in advance.

Don't buy a laptop yet unless you're sure to buy one anyways.

This will be the first year that COM is doing this. Other programs have done this in the past, so HPD has some guidance with this. I will update everyone when things are more concrete.

Thanks HOD, a huge help as always. I have a quick question for you. Dr. Whitehead sent out an e-mail regarding NSU endorsed laptops from Dell at a discounted price, but he hasn't yet sent out an e-mail telling us the details of this. Is this the first year they are doing this, and if not, do you know exactly what kind of deal they work out with the computer company? Thanks in advance.

Ok guys I know I shouldnt have waited this long but I need a DO to shadow and I live in the neighberhood where you guys go to school, I actually attend FAU. Anyways, I really want to go to NOVA for med school and I have everything but the one letter from a DO. I didnt think it would be this hard because from the impression from other people they got to shadow one relatively easy and if your asking why I dont ask them its because I dont see them anymore..there all in med school. I tried cold calling and i got dissed 7 straight times :eek:. So if you have a number of a DO who would be open to taking a student I would greatly appreciate it...please. Thanks guys

Ok guys I know I shouldnt have waited this long but I need a DO to shadow and I live in the neighberhood where you guys go to school, I actually attend FAU. Anyways, I really want to go to NOVA for med school and I have everything but the one letter from a DO. I didnt think it would be this hard because from the impression from other people they got to shadow one relatively easy and if your asking why I dont ask them its because I dont see them anymore..there all in med school. I tried cold calling and i got dissed 7 straight times :eek:. So if you have a number of a DO who would be open to taking a student I would greatly appreciate it...please. Thanks guys
Is this letter a part of your application for the class of 2012 or the class of 2013? Have you gone through the AOA mentor program? They would be willing since they signed up to be mentors.

Is this letter a part of your application for the class of 2012 or the class of 2013? Have you gone through the AOA mentor program? They would be willing since they signed up to be mentors.

This is for class of 2013, where can i find out more about the aoa mentor program and there list of doctors? Thanks

http://www.osteopathic.org/YOM/Mentor_main.htm

From your posting, you sounded like you were frantic. Calm down. You have time.

I really appreciate you taking the time and helping me out, as for me sounding frantic I guess I am a little because I want my application to be ready by June 1st. Can I ask one more question, what is the typical day as a med student at nova and is attending class mandatory?

I really appreciate you taking the time and helping me out, as for me sounding frantic I guess I am a little because I want my application to be ready by June 1st. Can I ask one more question, what is the typical day as a med student at nova and is attending class mandatory?
I would recommend reading through the entire NSUCOM discussion forum. I did that the year that I applied and it answered many of the questions that I had.

To answer your question(s), you will be in class at least from 8-12, most likely 8-3, and sometimes 8-5. You will have labs in the afternoon (OPP, CP, (Neuro)anatomy). The arrangement of courses will be changing next year, so I will not be able to give you an accurate account of your curriculum. Attending class is mandatory and there is a dress code.

Has anyone heard anything yet concerning the alternate list- acceptance or rejection? the silence is killing me!! lol

Has anyone heard anything yet concerning the alternate list- acceptance or rejection? the silence is killing me!! lol

nothing on my end. :(

the silence was killing me...until i weaned myself off of sdn...well, kind of. i still check at least once a day.

I have heard nothing. I'm on alternate list. I wanna know how many people are on waiting list and how many are on alternate list so I have an idea of my situation. It would be nice if they atleast tell you how many people there are, even if they don't tell you where you are amongst them.

Hello, was I supposed to receive the background check application from via email? And is there anyone who has not received it yet?

Emailed Rachel and she told me there are roughly 50 people that are "listed" right now (she didn't specify how many alternates or waitlisters or w/e. That's not great lol :)

Emailed Rachel and she told me there are roughly 50 people that are "listed" right now (she didn't specify how many alternates or waitlisters or w/e. That's not great lol :)

i am still on an alternate list. I am still considering this school if i got accepted but it looks like a slim chance.

i too am on the alternate list and waiting to hear something. Very frustrating!!

How much do you think the allopathic deadline of May15th affects waitlist movement for DO schools?

So I guess everyone's read about the partially-subsidized Dell laptop information that's been put on the site? (What happened to your promised update HOD:p )

http://medicine.nova.edu/comsas/laptop/

So...that brings up some questions:

1.) They say it (Option 1 - get their Dell) is worth $3100.00 but giving it to us at $1760.00
What you all think? Worth it or Option 2 (get your own laptop and meet/exceed their specs - see next)?

2.) Based on the specs, anyone have an idea of which Dell model line and number it is?
* 2.4 GHz processor
* 4 GB of system memory
* 120 GB hard drive
* Support for DirectX 9 graphics with: WDDM Driver and 256 MB of graphics memory
* 9 Cell Primary Battery, plus additional battery
* 8X DVD+/-RW w/Roxio and Cyberlink Power DVD
* Intel ® 4965 802.11a/g/n Dual-Band Mini Card
* New Dell USB Optical Mouse with Scroll, All Black Design
* Windows Vista
* Office 2007
* Compu Trace
* McAfee
* Secure Exam Browser

3.) Letter E under Option 1 Advantages says:
Only Option 1 students will be able to participant [sic] in computerized examinations.

So if you do option 2...exams are done where, how?