NSU-COM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any data available of how many interviews were granted and how many people were admitted to NSU AFTER a certain point of turning in the app? I know it's better to apply early but I'm curious

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey you all,

I have a friend who lived in Minnesota for most of his life, and just moved to Florida two months ago and is interested in going to Nova for his medical school education. I've known this friend for years and has a strong passion and motivation to become an osteopathic physician. Here are his stats:

Cum gpa: 3.72
Science gpa: 3.61
MCAT #1: 18Q (Taken in April 2006)
MCAT #2: 22R (Taken in January 2007)

He is also considering in taking the MCAT again. He has gotten an invitation to two interviews, one at LMU-DCOM and WVSOM. He also has gotten secondaries from Pikeville and VCOM. Even though he has a low MCAT score, he has amazing experience in health care and has won leadership awards and has strong letters of recommendations to back his experience up. He is also an excellent writer as I have read his personal statement. Any feedback about whether he should give Nova a shot would be helpful. I looked up in MDapplicants and found that there have been some students who have gotten accepted with his MCAT score and much lower gpa. Is too late in the game or does he still stand a chance? Thanks all for reading this and helping my friend out! :)

Go for it, he'll never know if he doesn't try!

Tell him to wait this app cycle out (unless he's already applied) and to apply EARLY next cycle and he's got a decent shot. His GPA is good, still the avg. mcat score for most schools is increasing every year.

Tell him to wait this app cycle out (unless he's already applied) and to apply EARLY next cycle and he's got a decent shot. His GPA is good, still the avg. mcat score for most schools is increasing every year.

Yeah but if he's already gotten a couple interviews then adding NOVA shouldn't be a big deal right? Or did I read the original post wrong?

No you did not read the post wrong. He has a couple interviews, and he found out he got accepted to WVSOM. But his number one choice is Nova but he was afraid to apply because he thought their standards were too high. Which is why I thought I'd ask here if anyone has applied to Nova with a 22 MCAT?

No you did not read the post wrong. He has a couple interviews, and he found out he got accepted to WVSOM. But his number one choice is Nova but he was afraid to apply because he thought their standards were too high. Which is why I thought I'd ask here if anyone has applied to Nova with a 22 MCAT?

I applied to to Nova with a 22 MCAT but I can't tell you the outcome yet. If Nova is his first choice I don't see any reason why he shouldn't at least try but he better add it soon.

I know that we have a couple of people in our class who got in that range of MCAT, so give it a shot. Hell I am an Iowa kid, who moved here just for school after getting accepted. I had an UGgpa of 2.99, and Ggpa of 3.9, and an MCAT of 26/27 so I guess, just because one area of your app is low don't dispair. Anyhow, tell your friend good luck, and if he has any questions about NSU, PM me I will do my best to give him or you some honest feedback.

NSU seems to be looking for a certain personality, not just a set of stats, keep that in mind, no matter which school you are applying to or interviewing at. Good Luck!

Add it. What does he have to lose? Though he may not have applied as early as he could have, it is not too late to do so. Pondering day after day will just make the weeks pass. By not applying, he may regret it in the futre.

Make sure he shows his continued interest for the school and make it known that Nova is his top choice.

My Gpa is ~3.5 MCAT 23Q and I have an interview 11/9

Don't know what will come of it, but you can check my mdapps for other info.

hey megboo...how were you notified of your interview? Also, were you ever contacted saying you were complete? I got an email on 9-28 saying that they recieved "letter of reference and professional experience". Just wondering.
Good luck with your interview.:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does NOVA accept LORs in lieu of their evaluation forms? I'm thinking about sending their secondary in, but I don't want to make my recommender's fill out their forms and bother them again. I have my LORs on Interfolio. Anyone help?

I used interfollio to send my normal LOR’s and I got an interview. I believe their forms are recommended to ensure a good LOR that may hold more weight in their decision. If in doubt, please call them.

did anyone who interview on tuesday 10/9 have an interview named Lou Isacson? He was in the group with susan ledbetter, and laurel gorman. I dont have lou isacson's email to thank him so if anyone of you have it do u mind posting it? thanks

I think I received my packet about a week and a half after I called and confirmed my interview. Good luck :luck:

Does everyone's status on the website say that the required form was received? Mine doesn't say that it was received although I sent it and submitted the secondary a month ago. They only have one of my LORs though.

My online status check does not say that they have received my signature page either. I did receive an email saying that they got it a few weeks back and I emailed them just to confirm. I am not sure why they don't update more frequently.

I was complete 10-5 and haven't heard anything, anyone else in the same boat

Has anyone that interviewed on 9/28 gotten their decisions yet?

How strict is Nova with requiring a DO letter? I have a MD letter and not sure where I would get a DO letter, since I go to an ugrad that is totally allo and majority of residents are allo.

hey megboo...how were you notified of your interview? Also, were you ever contacted saying you were complete? I got an email on 9-28 saying that they recieved "letter of reference and professional experience". Just wondering.
Good luck with your interview.:luck:

Thanks!

I was contacted by e-mail and got notices when my letters arrived

How strict is Nova with requiring a DO letter? I have a MD letter and not sure where I would get a DO letter, since I go to an ugrad that is totally allo and majority of residents are allo.

extremely strict..no DO LOR = not complete..

how long after you sent your letters did they notify you? Mine were sent through interfolio on 9/21, and I am still not complete. Do you thing it's too early to bug them about this? Thanks!

I got invited for an interview and my date is 11/9. Nova invited me without having any of my LOR's. I could not shadow a DO, but I did have two MD LOR's. It doesn't make sense to me that NSU would invite for an interview and then say "woops you don't have a DO letter so no entry for you." Will it really work that way?

Quoted directly from #4 Admissions Requirement from their Admissions web page...

"A letter from a physician is required with your application. "

They do not seem to specify that the physician needs to NOT be allopathic.

I got invited for an interview and my date is 11/9. Nova invited me without having any of my LOR's. I could not shadow a DO, but I did have two MD LOR's. It doesn't make sense to me that NSU would invite for an interview and then say "woops you don't have a DO letter so no entry for you." Will it really work that way?

Quoted directly from #4 Admissions Requirement from their Admissions web page...

"A letter from a physician is required with your application. "

They do not seem to specify that the physician needs to NOT be allopathic.

Well if they invited you without having ANY of your LOR's, then the assumption is that you will your file complete (meaning all LOR's including a DO letter) by the time decision time rolls around. Think of this as a pre-interview with an incomplete application because they liked something about you so much :)

At the interview they make it perfectly clear that those without a DO letter will not have their files reviewed until it is in. good luck

I just (seconds ago) received interview invitation from NOVA. I was surprised because I submitted my secondary last week.

Can anyone familiar with the school tell me how is Nova's D.O program? I really would love to know their residency matching data.

Please PM me if you can tell anything about the school, area etc. I would especially love to hear from any current D.O student.

anyone who interviews on 10/9 heard anything yet?

after you are complete how long did it take to hear about an interview invite. Appreciate any info............

sent my secondary in on 8/28. They emailed me for an interview on 9/29 for a 10/9 interview date. Most schools notify anywhere between 2-4 weeks after recieving secondaries and LOR's but now its real busy so it may take longer.

good luck

anyone that interviewed on 10/9 recieve a letter from NSU saying to make an email account to check if they got accepted? cuz i did and i was wondering if thats bad news?

So I sent all of my application documents in on 9/19 and still haven't heard anything. My online "documents received" status check still says they haven't received my signature page although it has been confirmed twice by them that they do have it. Should I have heard something by now with regards to interview/hold/rejection? Thanks!

anyone that interviewed on 10/9 recieve a letter from NSU saying to make an email account to check if they got accepted? cuz i did and i was wondering if thats bad news?
I interviewed on the 28th of Sept, and just got that same letter.

is that the one that starts with Webstar and your nsu e-mail account are the official.... If it is, I received one in addition to a large acceptance packet.

is that the one that starts with Webstar and your nsu e-mail account are the official.... If it is, I received one in addition to a large acceptance packet.

Well I didn't get an acceptance packet with that letter. :oops:

My friend just got his secondary application for Nova Southeastern University a few days ago, and is filling it out tonight. There was also a question in the secondary application that he is weary about, and it regards the listing all the osteopathic medical schools to which you are applying this
year or to which you have applied in the past. Would it look bad if he says on his application he got accepted to the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine? How do you handle that kind of question where you want to show that you are deeply interested in attending NSU-COM, but you are accepted at another institute? And if he's not honest, than that makes him look pretty bad as well. What should he do? Thanks for any feedback!! :)

My friend just got his secondary application for Nova Southeastern University a few days ago, and is filling it out tonight. There was also a question in the secondary application that he is weary about, and it regards the listing all the osteopathic medical schools to which you are applying this
year or to which you have applied in the past. Would it look bad if he says on his application he got accepted to the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine? How do you handle that kind of question where you want to show that you are deeply interested in attending NSU-COM, but you are accepted at another institute? And if he's not honest, than that makes him look pretty bad as well. What should he do? Thanks for any feedback!! :)

He absolutely needs to include it. Schools aren't blind to the fact that people interview and are accepted at other places. He will be fine.

I applied to other schools and it wasn't brought up. In fact, they asked if I applied to any MD schools.

Does the NSU secondary have an essay prompt? I was just curious as I only have one section left. But haven't come across an essay yet.

Does the NSU secondary have an essay prompt? I was just curious as I only have one section left. But haven't come across an essay yet.

Nope, no essays. And all I have to say about that is hallelujah!!

He absolutely needs to include it. Schools aren't blind to the fact that people interview and are accepted at other places. He will be fine.

i listed all the twenty or so MD schools I applied to also...and looks like they understand how bad people wanna do medicine, and they got back to me with an interview....im hoping for a fat acceptance!!! :smuggrin:

So I sent all of my application documents in on 9/19 and still haven't heard anything. My online "documents received" status check still says they haven't received my signature page although it has been confirmed twice by them that they do have it. Should I have heard something by now with regards to interview/hold/rejection? Thanks!

How did you confirm that they received it? Called? E-mailed? I e-mailed them last week about that and haven't heard anything back yet. I plan on calling them tomorrow.