NSU-COM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you know if they were informed by phone or by mail? thanks for replying.
They were informed by phone and subsequently by snail mail.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, can anyone tell me what percent (or estimate whatever) of students at NSU are Florida residents? I'm from NJ, and I had a 27Q MCAT and my GPA's a 3.37 (I know it's a little low), and have pretty good activities (incl. shadowing DO and MD). I'm just hoping the out-of-state factor won't be too much of a problem...
Thank you!

Hi, can anyone tell me what percent (or estimate whatever) of students at NSU are Florida residents? I'm from NJ, and I had a 27Q MCAT and my GPA's a 3.37 (I know it's a little low), and have pretty good activities (incl. shadowing DO and MD). I'm just hoping the out-of-state factor won't be too much of a problem...
Thank you!

It's a private school - well over 50% are OOS. I found 2006 class stats here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your quick reply :)
I saw that but couldn't open the pdf for some reason? But it's good to know!

I'm a Texas resident, had a 27N MCAT and a 3.17 GPA and got accepted. Hope that helps for this application cycle!

I am also from NJ (Marlton), I had a 24S MCAT and a 3.3 GPA. I did a ton of volunteer work and shadowing, as well as non-medical EC's. Good luck!

30Q, 3.15GPA from top 20 school, tons of great extracurriculars, in-state, have 3 other acceptances (thank God), and thought interview went amazingly well........ alternate list

go figure

:confused:

30Q, 3.15GPA from top 20 school, tons of great extracurriculars, in-state, have 3 other acceptances (thank God), and thought interview went amazingly well........ alternate list

go figure

:confused:

When did you interview??

Last week in january
Though that wasn't late, it wasn't early. It's advised to apply early. Congrats on your other acceptance offers though and I'm still rooting for you to get into Nova.

Last week in january

Yea, I think that was your problem. Hopefully you'll get pulled off the waitlist and get into Nova. I'm rooting for ya.

Though that wasn't late, it wasn't early. It's advised to apply early. Congrats on your other acceptance offers though and I'm still rooting for you to get into Nova.

Yeah, i was informed in no uncertain terms that my feb 6th interview was "very late in the cycle"....that wasn't nerving wracking at ALL lol

I am also from NJ (Marlton), I had a 24S MCAT and a 3.3 GPA. I did a ton of volunteer work and shadowing, as well as non-medical EC's. Good luck!

24Q, 3.72 GPA, 3.51 Science, 3.92 Non Science GPA
Volunteer work in Emergency Room
Awesome LOR
Shadowing
entrepreneur (i think this actually hurt my chances)
non medical volunteering (tutor)

and I got on the alternate list and i interviewed the first week of interviews back in september.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget me. 29M, 3.4 gpa, lotsa other stuff like shadowing, research and volunteer work. I was wait-listed a month ago. Although I was offered a chance to reserve my seat for 2009. The bottom line, apply as early as possible.

31R, 3.39 GPA for AACOMAS application, shadowing, volunteering in multiple settings, etc. I applied within 48 hours of the application going up, turned in my secondaries as soon as humanly possible, interviewed on the first day, and was accepted a week later. I'm from Michigan. Moral of the story: do everything as soon as you can!

hey i was just wondering if anyone had access to the NSU match list into allopathic residencies... i kno the match list on the NSU website was for all the osteo ones... anyone kno where i can find it? is that something u can get if u visit the school and talk to people in the admissions office, or are they pretty protective abt releasing that?

another question, can anyone who is a student at nova tell me if they felt the curriculum they had and the way it was organized during their schooling prepare them well to take the COMPLEX? what abt if it prepared them well for the USLMEs?

Hey, I got in.

I just got the call this afternoon. I am very excited.:) I'm gonna be a shark.

Congrats spyca! I am hoping to get that call sometime soon...I had a 27M and a 3.71GPA with research and volunteer work. However, I interviewed the second to last week possible(Early March). I hear that students get accepted up until the week before school, so I am hopeful. Spyca, when did u interview?

Thanks,

I interviewed on February 18th and was wait-listed around 2 months after that. There was a long silent period. I was a late applicant like you. It is still pretty early in that there is all of June and July. I think you still have a really good chance.

hey i was just wondering if anyone had access to the NSU match list into allopathic residencies... i kno the match list on the NSU website was for all the osteo ones... anyone kno where i can find it? is that something u can get if u visit the school and talk to people in the admissions office, or are they pretty protective abt releasing that?
The match list is for both allo and osteo residencies.

Hey spyca, congratulations!

And I just found out this morning about my acceptance...

Maybe ur next, ScarletKnight76?

Hey spyca, congratulations!

And I just found out this morning about my acceptance...

Maybe ur next, ScarletKnight76?

Congrats. monthrawe.

It looks like us late applicants are getting some love at Nova.

I just wanted to come back here and reinforce my strong feelings about Nova...i would love to go there!
wonderful community, beautiful school, lots of old friends around...great place to live.....i think the only thing that i need to research are the clinical rotations to be 110% gung-ho.
speaking of, what are the clinicals like anyhow? where are they held? are they set up for you or do you have to make your own rotation schedule?

spyca and monthrawe, just wanted to say congrats to both of you. It's great to see more and more people being accepted. See you in August.

I have a question regarding the dress code. I'm debating about getting dreadlocks and I'm wondering if that is acceptable, since there is clear mention of "grooming" in the handbook. Does anybody know of any med students, professors, etc., with dreads? I would keep them tidy and neat and not let them get natty and gross. Thanks.

Clinical core rotation sites can be found on the website. The majority of sites are located in Florida. Rotation sites are assigned through a student-based lottery system, similar to the "match." Students will spend the majority of the rotations at a core hospital and may rotate through other "sister" hospitals. For third year, they are set up for your. Aside from 2 out of 3 rural rotations and EM fourth year, you will be doing your interview electives. Feel free to ask for clarification.

I just wanted to come back here and reinforce my strong feelings about Nova...i would love to go there!
wonderful community, beautiful school, lots of old friends around...great place to live.....i think the only thing that i need to research are the clinical rotations to be 110% gung-ho.
speaking of, what are the clinicals like anyhow? where are they held? are they set up for you or do you have to make your own rotation schedule?

I have a question regarding the dress code. I'm debating about getting dreadlocks and I'm wondering if that is acceptable, since there is clear mention of "grooming" in the handbook. Does anybody know of any med students, professors, etc., with dreads? I would keep them tidy and neat and not let them get natty and gross. Thanks.
I have not seen anyone within HPD with dreadlocks. Within school, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, though some professors believe in maintaining a professional appearance. You will have direct patient interaction starting your first semester, so you may not want to sport the dreads...

thanks for the clarification HemaOncoDoc!
I should go spend a lot of time at the website today and really read up as much as I can. I actually had a dream last night that I got into NSU! Woke up feeling incredible....anyhow--I am also VERY excited to hear patient inteteraction is started in the first semester!!! it just gets better and better....
by the way--I think I remember talking with you at the end of the application season this past cycle. I have since shot my MCAT score up (I hope) and my application is a bit better prepared since I didn't rush anything this time around. Thanks for all the help!

I should go spend a lot of time at the website today and really read up as much as I can. I actually had a dream last night that I got into NSU! Woke up feeling incredible....anyhow--I am also VERY excited to hear patient inteteraction is started in the first semester!!! it just gets better and better....
by the way--I think I remember talking with you at the end of the application season this past cycle. I have since shot my MCAT score up (I hope) and my application is a bit better prepared since I didn't rush anything this time around. Thanks for all the help!

If you have any specific questions about NSUCOM's clinicals, feel free to ask me.

Yes, you did talk to me then and I gave you some hopefully helpful hints as you prepared for the May MCAT. Let me know how things go!

I have not seen anyone within HPD with dreadlocks. Within school, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, though some professors believe in maintaining a professional appearance. You will have direct patient interaction starting your first semester, so you may not want to sport the dreads...

Well in terms of maintaining a professional appearance, I would tie them back during school hours to make sure they stay out of my face. I'm still concerned about the patient interaction, though. Meh. I think I missed my chance.

Well in terms of maintaining a professional appearance, I would tie them back during school hours to make sure they stay out of my face. I'm still concerned about the patient interaction, though. Meh. I think I missed my chance.
Personally, I have not encountered doctors with dreadlocks in the clinical setting. I'm not saying that you're unable to do so at NSUCOM, but since a good first impression is crucial in medicine, you may have some opposition from certain facilitators and professors.

I skimmed through the student handbook (page 93 and 94) and it mentions that grooming is a part of professional appearance. As to the definition of grooming, I'm not quite sure. I would ask Dr. Whitehead.

Last edited:
Personally, I have not encountered doctors with dreadlocks in the clinical setting. I'm not saying that you're unable to do so at NSUCOM, but since a good first impression is crucial in medicine, you may have some opposition from certain facilitators and professors.

I skimmed through the student handbook (page 93 and 94) and it mentions that grooming is a part of professional appearance. As to the definition of grooming, I'm not quite sure. I would ask Dr. Whitehead.
Yeah, I saw that about grooming. I was thinking about maybe starting school dread-free and making a good impression and then getting them later on when the faculty already knows me. I will email Dr. Whitehead though, thank you.

Yeah, I saw that about grooming. I was thinking about maybe starting school dread-free and making a good impression and then getting them later on when the faculty already knows me. I will email Dr. Whitehead though, thank you.

The fact that you're asking people for their thoughts on the appropriateness of dreadlocks in medical school and clinical settings speaks for itself. You should already know the answer to that one. Just like exposed tattoos or earrings all over the place, I wouldn't think dreadlocks are exactly kosher in the medical field. I'm also amused that you're even considering e-mailing Dr. Whitehead to ask him. I hope his laughter echoes from his e-mailed response back to you.

Stop being stupid. You know the answer and you know you need to exhibit some form of professionalism in medical school and beyond. Also, ff you don't have dreads now, why the hell do you need to grow them for medical school?

The fact that you're asking people for their thoughts on the appropriateness of dreadlocks in medical school and clinical settings speaks for itself. You should already know the answer to that one. Just like exposed tattoos or earrings all over the place, I wouldn't think dreadlocks are exactly kosher in the medical field. I'm also amused that you're even considering e-mailing Dr. Whitehead to ask him. I hope his laughter echoes from his e-mailed response back to you.

Stop being stupid. You know the answer and you know you need to exhibit some form of professionalism in medical school and beyond. Also, ff you don't have dreads now, why the hell do you need to grow them for medical school?

I am sorry if you feel that dreads look unprofessional, but that is quite untrue. Also long as she is going for some cultivated dreads then she will not have a problem with looking professional. I know when one thinks of dreads they think of the rastaferian type of dreads which are pretty much grown wildly. Now I can agree that type of dreadloc is not necessarily the most attractive, but as long as its maintain and looks neat then it will work.

No need to be rude.

No need to be rude.

Sorry for the rudeness. IMO, however, I would suggest not growing dreadlocks while in medical school. They may be fine with students and younger faculty, but I'm just not sure how older faculty and patients may perceive you. Wouldn't you rather just give peers, faculty and patients the best impression of you moving forward?

Again, I apologize for being harsh.

Yeah, I've decided to forgo dreading my hair for a number of reasons. Part of the reason I posted on here about it was because I needed a good reason not to do it. None of my good friends could think of a decent reason (none of them work in the medical field, let alone are med students or doctors), so I knew if I asked here multiple people would be able to give solid input and reasoning. That may sound dumb to you, but it was something that I needed to do. I don't even know why I'm explaining this on here. Oy. Anyway, thanks for your response and for apologizing.

Yeah, I've decided to forgo dreading my hair for a number of reasons. Part of the reason I posted on here about it was because I needed a good reason not to do it. None of my good friends could think of a decent reason (none of them work in the medical field, let alone are med students or doctors), so I knew if I asked here multiple people would be able to give solid input and reasoning. That may sound dumb to you, but it was something that I needed to do. I don't even know why I'm explaining this on here. Oy. Anyway, thanks for your response and for apologizing.
I've been around SDN enough to know that your question was not "dumb" and you raised a valid point since the Student Handbook was somewhat ambiguous. The reason why I asked you to contact Dr. Whitehead is because I could only provide my own opinion and that in itself may not be representative of the NSUCOM administration.

Having been through my first year at NSUCOM, some of the faculty and staff adhere by the rules and regulations set forth in the Student Handbook. So, yes, it's best to adhere by the rules and regulations at first and then diverge as time goes by.

As a side note, if any members of the Class of 2012 have not signed up for the Facebook Group or check your NSU Webmail, I suggest that you do so. Your Peer Mentors should be contactly you shortly if they have not done so already.

Once again, congrats to those who have been accepted, and for those on the waiting/alternate list, there's still hope (keep in contact with the administration).

I've been around SDN enough to know that your question was not "dumb" and you raised a valid point since the Student Handbook was somewhat ambiguous. The reason why I asked you to contact Dr. Whitehead is because I could only provide my own opinion and that in itself may not be representative of the NSUCOM administration.

Having been through my first year at NSUCOM, some of the faculty and staff adhere by the rules and regulations set forth in the Student Handbook. So, yes, it's best to adhere by the rules and regulations at first and then diverge as time goes by.

As a side note, if any members of the Class of 2012 have not signed up for the Facebook Group or check your NSU Webmail, I suggest that you do so. Your Peer Mentors should be contactly you shortly if they have not done so already.

Once again, congrats to those who have been accepted, and for those on the waiting/alternate list, there's still hope (keep in contact with the administration).

I emailed Dr. Whitehead and he said all hairstyles are allowed. So I now know that if I want to, I can dread my hair. Having said that, I still think I'm going to pass. If the desire is still there come fall, I might consider doing it during the school year, but at this point I feel I have probably worked it out of my system. Thanks for your help. :) I appreciate it.

anybody get off the waitlist recently that anyone knows of?

Hi I have a few questions regarding nova if there are any nova students here currently in school that wouldn't mind me PMing them. I would really appreciate it. thanks.

Hi I have a few questions regarding nova if there are any nova students here currently in school that wouldn't mind me PMing them. I would really appreciate it. thanks.
Your PM was answered. Let me know if you want clarification or if you have further questions. Best of luck!

i got an email a few days ago asking if i was still interested and to let them know so they can update their list. i had already sent a letter of interest a few months ago but that was out of the blue.

i got an email a few days ago asking if i was still interested and to let them know so they can update their list. i had already sent a letter of interest a few months ago but that was out of the blue.

I got the same e-mail about a week ago. IT basically said the class is full, but if I'm still interested, let them know so they can update the waitlist and remove people who are no longer interested.

Accepted of the WL today! Not sure what to do... I have been planning to go to Western-COMP but this throws a wrench into that plan. My deposit is do near the end of this month with classes starting Aug4th. UGH. Wish i would have know sooner.

Anyone wanna give me heads up as far as attending Western-COMP vs NSU-COM???? I would really appreciate the advice!

Accepted of the WL today! Not sure what to do... I have been planning to go to Western-COMP but this throws a wrench into that plan. My deposit is do near the end of this month with classes starting Aug4th. UGH. Wish i would have know sooner.

Anyone wanna give me heads up as far as attending Western-COMP vs NSU-COM???? I would really appreciate the advice!

It's a tie on academics & rotations, imho. Both are well-established, solid schools that are inland and have horrible traffic. Choose on location - where do you want to live for the next 4+ years? Does proximity to Miami have more appeal than proximity to LA? Do you have friends/family either place?

Florida's one of the 5 states that requires an AOA traditional rotating internship. CA is not. This matters, somewhat, if you want to practice in FL or the other 4.

Best of luck to you.