NSU-COM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The existence of an attendance policy is orthogonal to a professor's ability to sustain the ego blow of students not coming to his/her class. Professors at relaxed west coast schools retaliate too.

Members don't see this ad.

yay interview invite for feb 25th... took long enough lol. Waitlist here i come!:)

It is unnecessary to:
1. have an attendance policy
2. get poopy if no one comes to class; that's rather juvenile.

Seriously. Some students may need to maximize the time away from class to do their best. It's not meant as a personal affront to the professors. That should be obvious. Nor should your grade be penalized. All that should matter is that you do well: not how you do it.

Everything we need to know for the exam should be in the packets, and those that like to go to lecture will go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who does not think they want to go to lectures, don't go to a lecture mandatory school. Its not a hidden rule or something sprung on you at the last moment to "screw you over". NSU still uses the old style, lecture, passive learning approach to first year, and while this is supposedly under review, just expect to be in class the vast majority of the time.

The 70% is the LEAST you can do to have acceptable attendance, did any of us do the LEAST we could to get into medical school, did any of the schools you applied to ask for the LEAST effort you could put forth in your app or interview or undergrad performance?

Sorry thats my Rant.

For anyone who has been accepted, how do I put down my deposit? I hear you can call or go on webstar, but I don't see anywhere on webstar to put a deposit down, and the admissions office doesn't answer their phones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For anyone who has been accepted, how do I put down my deposit? I hear you can call or go on webstar, but I don't see anywhere on webstar to put a deposit down, and the admissions office doesn't answer their phones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Go to www.nova.edu. On the right hand side, click on technology. Click on my webstar account; next go to Enter secure area. You need a NSU ID, if you have it, login and click on Student Financial Services and Registration, then go to student records, click on make a credit card payment and choose Fall of 2008. Good Luck. :D

Anyone who does not think they want to go to lectures, don't go to a lecture mandatory school. Its not a hidden rule or something sprung on you at the last moment to "screw you over". NSU still uses the old style, lecture, passive learning approach to first year, and while this is supposedly under review, just expect to be in class the vast majority of the time.

The 70% is the LEAST you can do to have acceptable attendance, did any of us do the LEAST we could to get into medical school, did any of the schools you applied to ask for the LEAST effort you could put forth in your app or interview or undergrad performance?

Sorry thats my Rant.

Not going to lecture does not mean you are doing the LEAST you can do. Personally, I could do the MOST I could do if I didn't have to go to any lectures. I don't think not wanting to go to lecture is indicative of work ethic. I like NSU, I think its a good school, the private heliport rocks; but I think it is not unreasonable to be a little wistful that you can't do things in the manner best for you. I cannot fathom how people maybe having different learning styles could escape anyones notice. Yes, you are made aware that there is an attendance policy, but until you are in the thick of it, you don't know how it will affect you. Do you like your $34,000 freedom restricted? Anyways, its pointless to even talk about it, I guess...so I won't anymore. I wonder what David Hasselhoff would do.

I am 100% supportive of an optional voluntary attendance policy though.
Good luck studying for physio!! :hardy:

Not going to lecture does not mean you are doing the LEAST you can do. Personally, I could do the MOST I could do if I didn't have to go to any lectures. I don't think not wanting to go to lecture is indicative of work ethic. I like NSU, I think its a good school, the private heliport rocks; but I think it is not unreasonable to be a little wistful that you can't do things in the manner best for you. I cannot fathom how people maybe having different learning styles could escape anyones notice. Yes, you are made aware that there is an attendance policy, but until you are in the thick of it, you don't know how it will affect you. Do you like your $34,000 freedom restricted? Anyways, its pointless to even talk about it, I guess...so I won't anymore. I wonder what David Hasselhoff would do.

I am 100% supportive of an optional voluntary attendance policy though.
Good luck studying for physio!! :hardy:
Good ole' Hasselhoff is back.

Good ole' Hasselhoff is back.

He's always there. Always. Anywho, the atendance policy is not the end of the world, and I realize I'm sounding like a big pouty Mr. Poopy Manties. With frills. And lace. And unshaven. And that's just not right. On many levels.

i know this is off topic, but since this is a discussion to all things NSU..

what is up with them? they gave me a confidential information thing in the mail this weekend with my webstar pin but not an email address. i haven't invited to an interview so whats the point?

I'd call them to check. From my understanding everyone who is interviewed gets a webstar ID though I got one over the phone sometime after I was invited for an interview.
Good luck!

So, what are people's thoughts on the email sent out today by Dr. Whitehead about possibly being required to get a particular computer? I personally am a bit upset, as I was looking forward to picking out what I want, which I'm pretty sure won't be what they require. Does anybody know how likely it is for the school to actually mandate a certain computer/model?

So, what are people's thoughts on the email sent out today by Dr. Whitehead about possibly being required to get a particular computer? I personally am a bit upset, as I was looking forward to picking out what I want, which I'm pretty sure won't be what they require. Does anybody know how likely it is for the school to actually mandate a certain computer/model?

Having everybody on the same machine solves some problems and obviously introduces others. It's fairly common in DO/MD/DVM/pharm schools to require a particular laptop or tablet model, so this isn't Nova-specific fascism. When you have faculty trying out new online stuff (as they are at Nova, basically a good thing), and students with varying levels of computer savvy, having one thing hold still (the machine all students have) adds a lot to the general sanity level. Otherwise you have to pay IT staff to educate/troubleshoot/fix every student, which can add hours/days/weeks to our ability to stay on top of class material.

Also, given the class size at Nova, expect to hear about a bulk discount.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly I'm THRILLED with the idea of NSU requiring a certain type of comp (and adding it to the financial aid package).

As of now I'm swamped with bills-- and will continue as I put aside the 1250 bucks I owe in < 3 wks to NSU, and then have to set aside moving costs, and condo rent at NSU (which will occur before I'll get the financial aid packet money). Saving up to also buy a computer/laptop/tablet was going to be impossible for me.

Also, I know of a couple other schools -- LMU-DCOM comes to mind, that require their students to have a certain type of computer.

I think the idea sounds good -- I'll forgoe picking my own type of comp, to be able to rest assured that whatever comp programs the COM requires, my school mandated computer will be able to run it.

Of course, if they select a really expensive computer that will be frustrating -- but I think the benefits might outweigh the losses.

That all makes sense, so I'll do what I have to do. I really wanted to get a smaller laptop this time around, though. You know, not super tiny (a la that skit with Will Ferrell as a fashion designer on SNL when he has the microscopic cell phone, computer, etc.), just smaller than the computer Nova will likely require. Oh well. I'll live. :)

Did anybody else sign up for graduate housing yet? I'm wondering who my neighbors will be.

This TOTALLY ticks me off!! I mean I understand that it saves the school a lot in IT time, but why should those of us who actually know how to use a computer have to suffer? I really don't want to have to deal with whatever crappy computer they decide they want to go with! And on top of that, I have VERY happily avoided Microsoft and Apple for three years now and DO NOT want to go back!!

:mad:

Nate.

Just bought a Macbook after reading somewhere on Nova's website that both PC and mac based computers are fine. Hmmmm...they better include a new laptop in the budget if they expect people to dish out. I don't think it's fair we should suffer...the IT people get paid to fix problems!

This TOTALLY ticks me off!! I mean I understand that it saves the school a lot in IT time, but why should those of us who actually know how to use a computer have to suffer? I really don't want to have to deal with whatever crappy computer they decide they want to go with! And on top of that, I have VERY happily avoided Microsoft and Apple for three years now and DO NOT want to go back!!

Nate.

OK angry Linux man, I hear you, and it's unfortunate that you didn't see this coming for preclinical years. Wintel is unavoidable: every hospital and clinic at which you rotate will be full of evil. This is not a battle you're going to win; furthermore, nobody except me and maybe syncope82 can even parse your argument against it.

You don't have to give up your blessed open source machine. Just think of whatever extra machine NSU makes you get as a very expensive textbook. And then sell it to an MS1 as soon as you can get away with it.

Here, read some xkcd and take some deep breaths. link o'happiness

That all makes sense, so I'll do what I have to do. I really wanted to get a smaller laptop this time around, though. You know, not super tiny (a la that skit with Will Ferrell as a fashion designer on SNL when he has the microscopic cell phone, computer, etc.), just smaller than the computer Nova will likely require. Oh well. I'll live. :)

Did anybody else sign up for graduate housing yet? I'm wondering who my neighbors will be.
As it stands now, you will not have to purchase another computer if the one you have is adequate. The requirements, if they haven't been posted yet, will soon be up. Dr. W is meeting with OIT and different manufacturers (ie Dell) to get the best price. So, for some of you, you may purchase your nice small laptop if you want. I do expect a big discount due to bulk buying.

Nate.
I'm not sure what OS you will be required to use...but according to the designer, Macs and PCs both function well with the programming they're using. Not going to say more until things are finalized.

Also, at this point, you don't have to purchase their computer. If your computer meets the requirement, so be it. I will tell you this though, make sure it lasts AT LEAST three hours on the battery since the majority, if not all your testing will be conducted on the computer. I will update when I have more concrete news.

Bulk purchases don't get as much as a discount as one would expect. We looked into with a particular company which shall go unnamed for my major...a tech oriented major. They were only able to reduce the price about 100-150 dollars. (I can get a bigger discount from that with apple right now.) Software is at the whim of the entire university usually. PSU didn't charge much for student licenses, but where I am now makes you pay almost full price. Interestingly (or not), when they poll students, the vast majority do NOT want to be forced into a particular laptop. They want to have a unique one that they are still comfortable with...compatibility outside of the web browser stuff isn't that tough. Even the browser stuff isn't that tough either. The best solution for my major wound up being a mixed thing. We had a deal with said company for mounted laptops and desktops IN the college, but students had their own. If it broke, then you would simply go out and check one with all the required software out and return it when you got yours back. They don't need many laptops in reserve for that, perhaps 15-20. Several computer companies actually sponsored us though...it helps when they hire most of your grads I guess.

As it stands now, you will not have to purchase another computer if the one you have is adequate. The requirements, if they haven't been posted yet, will soon be up. Dr. W is meeting with OIT and different manufacturers (ie Dell) to get the best price. So, for some of you, you may purchase your nice small laptop if you want. I do expect a big discount due to bulk buying.

So what type of requirements would they put in place? A certain brand? A certain processing system or whatever? The laptop I'm using now is a total piece of crap (which isn't much of a surprise, it's going on nearly 5 years old), so I am definitely looking for a replacement. Thanks for the info!

So what type of requirements would they put in place? A certain brand? A certain processing system or whatever? The laptop I'm using now is a total piece of crap (which isn't much of a surprise, it's going on nearly 5 years old), so I am definitely looking for a replacement. Thanks for the info!
Not sure of the requirement, but I'm sure that the current M1s will hear before it's officially sent out. I'll be sure to update the boards when I get word.

The email I got just says they're discussing whether laptops will be required of all students, not that any ONE laptop will be required. Maybe I'm just dumb...

The email I got just says they're discussing whether laptops will be required of all students, not that any ONE laptop will be required. Maybe I'm just dumb...
It initiative has already passed the planning stage. Unless there is a major blockage, I'm sure that it will follow through.

As madscientist indicated, a little over 80% of the class if full. Admissions has held off sending out notifications until they get caught up with material. I suspect a large number of acceptances starting March 16th. Best of luck.

I'm not even ON the freakin waitlist and all this is making me nervous.

>.<

Good luck to everybody

OK angry Linux man, I hear you, and it's unfortunate that you didn't see this coming for preclinical years. Wintel is unavoidable: every hospital and clinic at which you rotate will be full of evil. This is not a battle you're going to win; furthermore, nobody except me and maybe syncope82 can even parse your argument against it.

You don't have to give up your blessed open source machine. Just think of whatever extra machine NSU makes you get as a very expensive textbook. And then sell it to an MS1 as soon as you can get away with it.

Here, read some xkcd and take some deep breaths. link o'happiness

*LOL* Yea I know...that's what happens when all your friends are enginerds! And actually, I haven't had much of any problems with cross-compatibility with windows and apple software (although apple is easy 'cause OS X is actually just a nice front end on a linux kernel). I guess I may just have to go back to duel-booting XP..*pout*

Hema: Thanks for the info, I guess it does make some sense for them to institute certain system requirements if they're doing testing on the computer. I didn't realize that they allowed you to use your PERSONAL computer for the testing...I would think that would raise all sorts of security concerns with cheating and such...

Nate.

*LOL* Yea I know...that's what happens when all your friends are enginerds! And actually, I haven't had much of any problems with cross-compatibility with windows and apple software (although apple is easy 'cause OS X is actually just a nice front end on a linux kernel). I guess I may just have to go back to duel-booting XP..*pout*

Hema: Thanks for the info, I guess it does make some sense for them to institute certain system requirements if they're doing testing on the computer. I didn't realize that they allowed you to use your PERSONAL computer for the testing...I would think that would raise all sorts of security concerns with cheating and such...

Nate.
Once everything is ironed out, I'll go into this further, but at this point, testing will be on a secured browser. You will only be able to take the test in the designated classroom. You will receive a passcode to input to start the test. You will be blocked from accessing any other material on your computer. If you do, the program will automatically lock you out and you will receive a "0" for that test.

Somebody (laboratory) was accepted today...congrats to him/her. However, not sure if off waitlist or not.

This is ******ed. There are so many ways to get around it (like VMware or other virtual-OS, saving answers as desktop taskbar notifications, using virtual desktops in Linux with Compiz,etc). I'm assuming this will be coded in Java for IE and will run only on full screen mode so people can't switch programs. I guess having the threat of "0" will be a deterrent.
You are correct. It will take up the whole screen. Once you started the test, you can not minimize or close the program without getting a "0." I will let you know further details when we get to test the system. The MII class do start school a month before the MIs.

Anyone have any news from the 1/25 interview group? Anyone have any news at all in and around that date??

Anyone have any news from the 1/25 interview group? Anyone have any news at all in and around that date??

I was waitlisted from 1/25, but you already knew that. I tried to call Rachel today, but got voicemail. I doubt they'll call back any time soon though. Would like to know what's up asap. My LECOM deposit is due March 4th!

I was waitlisted from 1/25, but you already knew that. I tried to call Rachel today, but got voicemail. I doubt they'll call back any time soon though. Would like to know what's up asap. My LECOM deposit is due March 4th!

I stand corrected...Rachel called me back. She told me to pay my deposit, as waitlist will not be looked at for a few months.

There will be no waitlist movement for at least two months according to Rachel Weiner. Spoke to her today. I'm not sure how accurate that is, as I would think people would start to hear soon after March 15th. Oh well.

I stand corrected...Rachel called me back. She told me to pay my deposit, as waitlist will not be looked at for a few months.
You should provide this update on the other forum/discussion thread also because other applicants may find it misleading. :)

You should provide this update on the other forum/discussion thread also because other applicants may find it misleading. :)

I hope that's sarcasm: "D-Bone" might be Latin for "full coverage poster"

Although DB could have also posted in the LECOM-B forum for us waitlisters there. Too bad we can't arrange a trade...

I hope that's sarcasm: "D-Bone" might be Latin for "full coverage poster"

Although DB could have also posted in the LECOM-B forum for us waitlisters there. Too bad we can't arrange a trade...

Sorry DrMidlife. I missed that one. It's late in the season, so I'm off my game! Let's see what today brings to Sdn-ers.

So you're waitlisted at LECOM? What's your thoughts on both programs? I'm hoping for Nova only because it's more traditional(ie, not PBL). However, the PBL session I sat in on was really interesting. Still not sure what I think of it though for an indepth medical education. Thoughts?

You are correct. It will take up the whole screen. Once you started the test, you can not minimize or close the program without getting a "0." I will let you know further details when we get to test the system. The MII class do start school a month before the MIs.

Herm...thanks for the info...sounds like something that will probably REQUIRE Win or Mac so I guess I'll be dual-booting or having a second computer only for testing...maybe the cheapest POS that meets requirements...

Nate.

Herm...thanks for the info...sounds like something that will probably REQUIRE Win or Mac so I guess I'll be dual-booting or having a second computer only for testing...maybe the cheapest POS that meets requirements...

Nate.

Edit: never mind.

I think I should've seduced Rachel at the interview when I had the chance...

You won't be taking exams on your own machine. You'll be in a computer lab.
I don't think I insinuated that you'd be in the computer lab. Tests will be taken within the classroom. Access of the test will not be attainable anywhere else at this point.

I don't think I insinuated that you'd be in the computer lab. Tests will be taken within the classroom. Access of the test will not be attainable anywhere else at this point.

I can't wait to get my disco ball covered laptop!! HOD, do you know if we can just use the laptops we already own?

I can't wait to get my disco ball covered laptop!! HOD, do you know if we can just use the laptops we already own?
Most certainly if they meet requirements. I'll be sure to update the class when I hear official word.

Hello all! I interviewed 01/22 and I am still awaiting a decision. I know I'm not the only one in this situation... According to Rachael it looks like we have to hold tight until mid-March. Does anyone have any valid insight into this? It seems like some have been waitlisted while others are still waiting for some decision. Is this potentially good news for those still waiting (i.e., are we potentially accepted candidates waiting for NSU to determine how many spots are available before they call or send us our acceptance letters???)? :confused::confused::confused:

Hello all! I interviewed 01/22 and I am still awaiting a decision. I know I'm not the only one in this situation... According to Rachael it looks like we have to hold tight until mid-March. Does anyone have any valid insight into this? It seems like some have been waitlisted while others are still waiting for some decision. Is this potentially good news for those still waiting (i.e., are we potentially accepted candidates waiting for NSU to determine how many spots are available before they call or send us our acceptance letters???)? :confused::confused::confused:

Personally I think it would be a mistake to plan for or predict anything about your admissions status. I know this isn't what you want to hear. This isn't specific to Nova - it's just what applying to med school is like. Nova is doing exactly what all the other schools are doing, except that other schools tend to send you pacifying emails and letters that say "we haven't reached a decision yet but we'll be in touch soon." I get these weekly, meaningless love notes from both MD and DO schools.

You could be in limbo for five more months. If you want to see what happens next, find the 2006 and 2007 "school X interview discussion" threads and watch how individuals updated those threads month after month.

This is the worst part. You will survive it. Avoid trying any addictive substances.