NHSC Scholarship 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you applying to the NHSC this year?

• Yes

Votes: 204 66.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 11.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 40 12.9%
  • Already got it!

Votes: 31 10.0%

• Total voters
My portal hasn’t changed over yet either. I received my counter signature on Sept. 8th. So that’s been a little over a week now but nothing yet. Hopefully it happens soon. 🤞🏽
For those waiting on the portal change and countersignature, DON'T LOSE HOPE! I received the portal change AFTER BUSINESS HOURS yesterday! I hope you all hear soon!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I received a counter signature on August 8th and I’m still waiting for my portal change. Has your portal changed over yet?
I am also signed on 09/08 and my portal still hasn't changed over. Anyone else in the same boat? I noticed that those of us whose portal hasn't changed were signed on 09/08. Could there be a glitch in the system?:oops:

Reactions: 1 user
I am also signed on 09/08 and my portal still hasn't changed over. Anyone else in the same boat? I noticed that those of us whose portal hasn't changed were signed on 09/08. Could there be a glitch in the system?:oops:
I hope not. Hopefully it will change over within the next few days.

For those that are waiting for the portal to change- did you guys try to switch roles by clicking the "roles" button? There's an option to switch from applicant to participant. I was worried too until I found this button on on the upper right corner!

Reactions: 1 users
For those that are waiting for the portal to change- did you guys try to switch roles by clicking the "roles" button? There's an option to switch from applicant to participant. I was worried too until I found this button on on the upper right corner!
That button isn’t visible on my screen.

Would someone mind calling the customer service line for the people that cannot access the participant portal? I just called and explained the only people that cannot access the portal are the people that were signed on September 8th. I think if enough people call they will check to make sure we weren’t forgotten about :(

Would someone mind calling the customer service line for the people that cannot access the participant portal? I just called and explained the only people that cannot access the portal are the people that were signed on September 8th. I think if enough people call they will check to make sure we weren’t forgotten about :(
Thanks for calling! What did they say?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty much that we just have to wait :/ but I really think we were forgotten about. I am just scared we are all going to miss the information webinar on the 22nd of September

They did mention the webinar will be recorded for those who cannot attend so hopefully this worst case scenario, the recording will be made available for you guys

Pretty much that we just have to wait :/ but I really think we were forgotten about. I am just scared we are all going to miss the information webinar on the 22nd of September
I also called! But I feel like the customer service doesn't know much about this situation.

Who thinks I will not get a countersignature? I have checked sooo many times now, each time I scroll to the bottom of the contract I lose a little more hope.

• Care
Who thinks I will not get a countersignature? I have checked sooo many times now, each time I scroll to the bottom of the contract I lose a little more hope.
I am in the same boat :( we technically have until the 30th. I am hoping we will get our countersignature soon!!!!!!!!!

• Sad
  • Care
If we have heard nothing but radio silence and we are still "under review" is that a definitive no... I'm assuming it is :/

I got my countersignature as well!!

If we have heard nothing but radio silence and we are still "under review" is that a definitive no... I'm assuming it is :/
Have you been downloading the pdf of the “contract” to see if there is a signature at the bottom?

Has anyone whose portal has changed and received a welcome email gotten anymore email updates about the event today at 2:30pm? I never got an email with a link to the event.

Anyone know if the webinar is being recorded today (and where to locate the recording?)? I kind of have class to attend haha

So NHSC is going to pay the money to your institution. Reach out to your FA office to see what they will do. It depends on many different factors... whether the loans are sub/unsubsidized, how much you were given, cost of attendance, etc. It's really complicated to try to figure out on your own, but your FA office should be well-versed on the rules. My summer and fall have already been paid by student loans, so I'm interested to see what they tell me on Monday as far as what they will do with my current loans and the future. Because I will need more than the $1400 to cover living expenses.
Yeah I got scared because my accounts manager emailed me yesterday telling me congratulations on the scholarship yet in the same sentence saying you gone have to pay back my refund. I said how am I suppose to pay back money that you gave me for living costs and you want me to pay back that money to you but I need that money for living costs? Make it make sense. Scholarship only covers TUITION, stipend barely puts a dent in my rent and etc. I already know I need to take out loans for cost of living but it’s confusing when my school is saying you gotta give us back money we gave you for living….

Does anyone know how the ORC works? I asked my billing/ financial aid office about it and they did not hear anything about it. Is that something that we have to submit or does our school do it?

Hi everyone! I'm surprised this thread is alive and going. I stopped posting last year when I didn't receive the award. But I reapplied this year on a short notice and ended up being a recipient! If you haven't heard back, I encourage you to not give up. Take the time to improve your essays, your CV, and forming better relationships with the faculty who will write you Letter of Recommendations. Then reapply next year! That's how I did it.

Thank you for being a supportive community. I wish you all the best of luck.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
I see that the website was having some scheduled maintenance last night..so hopefully that means they went ahead and switched the rest of our portals over.

Can anyone that HAS NOT gotten a participant portal update like this post please? I honestly think it is just the people that were signed on September 8th but I do not want to email NHSC unless that is a fact :)

Reactions: 3 users
My school has been a mess. They only returned the part of the loan I took out that covers tuition. I want to return it all since we have the stipend. Then again, loans don’t collect interest until January 2022. Is it possible to just take out a loan this semester (AKA to cover my ass until the ORC/stipend back pay)?

My school has been a mess. They only returned the part of the loan I took out that covers tuition. I want to return it all since we have the stipend. Then again, loans don’t collect interest until January 2022. Is it possible to just take out a loan this semester (AKA to cover my ass until the ORC/stipend back pay)?
Wait…Your tuition got reimbursed already?

Can anyone that HAS NOT gotten a participant portal update like this post please? I honestly think it is just the people that were signed on September 8th but I do not want to email NHSC unless that is a fact :)
Has your portal changed over yet?

I received a counter signature on sept 8th and still have not received an email or portal change…does anyone know what the signature actually means? I just assume they can’t sign something without it being real…

I received a counter signature on sept 8th and still have not received an email or portal change…does anyone know what the signature actually means? I just assume they can’t sign something without it being real…
I just got off the phone with portal support customer service line and she said that a signature usually means that you’ve received the award but they have had a few in the past that received that signature and was not actually awarded so she said to wait until an actual award email is received or the portal changes over. But they really can’t help you bcuz they can’t see the actual signed contract but they can see everything else so basically they don’t know unless you have access the participant portal

I just got off the phone with portal support customer service line and she said that a signature usually means that you’ve received the award but they have had a few in the past that received that signature and was not actually awarded so she said to wait until an actual award email is received or the portal changes over. But they really can’t help you bcuz they can’t see the actual signed contract but they can see everything else so basically they don’t know unless you have access the participant portal
This is ridiculous. The rep is talking out their behind bc the award is definite after the signature. It's an official contract with both parties signed. A portal change or notificaiton email doesn't determine the award -- a binding contract does.

There are multiple of us that this is happening to. We were all signed on September 8th, so we think there is an issue with the system.

There are multiple of us that this is happening to. We were all signed on September 8th, so we think there is an issue with the system.
I actually think there is some sort of technical issue going on bcuz at first BHW portal representative had trouble pulling up my account. She couldn’t find it by my email address or my application #. She actually had to ask for help to even locate my account. So you guys may want to call to see if they are able to easily find your account if not I think that is probably the issue of why my portal hasn’t been changed over .

I also called today and was basically told that the signature doesn't mean anything at the moment and that I would be notified either way by the 30th. I'm just wondering how you can sign (or why you would sign) a document and then not award it...

I wonder how this would affect us if there were actually a portal issue. It does seem strange to me that people have been countersigned this week and received their portal changes when we were signed weeks ago now and have not heard anything official.

I also called today and was basically told that the signature doesn't mean anything at the moment and that I would be notified either way by the 30th. I'm just wondering how you can sign (or why you would sign) a document and then not award it...
What day was your contract signed?

I wonder how this would affect us if there were actually a portal issue. It does seem strange to me that people have been countersigned this week and received their portal changes when we were signed weeks ago now and have not heard anything official.
Exactly!

Has anyone been able to watch the new participant recorded zoom session? If so, could you post the link you used?

• Hmm
What day was your contract signed?
Sept. 8th. I called again yesterday to see what someone else said and she thought it was odd that I could see my signed contract (because normally when you get signed, they let you know and it takes you to the participant page). She did not directly say but she seemed to imply that a signature means you got the scholarship so now I'm just confused