NHSC Scholarship 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same, i asked because I can go to my financial aid office and get it done in minutes
Lool, I got so confused too! because I called them twice with two difference people answering and got some inconsistent answers too. i think i'm going to get everything from the dental school just incase, i just hope it wont take a long time.

The first call, the lady said the paper about the financial aid can be from my undergrad office. Then when I hung up, I realized I didn't ask which form specifically because theres one about EFN and another about disadvantaged background. and i forgot to ask about the acceptance form. and she was really broad about just financial aid.
so i called again, and I first asked about the acceptance verification form, and i was told it should be from the dental school. then i asked about financial aid, he said also from the dental school, then i was like but i called earlier and i was told it can be from the undergrad office, so i asked which form can be signed by my financial aid office (EFN or disadvantaged)? he said the one with the financial aid (EFN) should be signed by my accepted dental school, and the one about the verification of disadvantaged background status can be from my undergrad office.

so I guess we just need to be specific about the questions, but then again yalls answers were different about the acceptance form :/

Just got off the phone with them. So it appears it is "ideal" to have all the forms filled by the dental school. However, the disadvantaged form can be filled out by undergrad f-aid office too, but it would not be "ideal", even though acceptable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone get to the letters part? I only got one recommender but I don't know if it'll let me have one request done and let me log out? there's no save option unless both are filled out

Did anyone get to the letters part? I only got one recommender but I don't know if it'll let me have one request done and let me log out? there's no save option unless both are filled out
You need to have both recommenders filled out to continue.

Members don't see this ad :)

Just click 'send request email" and they will send an email to the person recommending you. I think it saves after you click it.

Has anyone been able to confirm whether the essays are each 250 word limit as stated per their application guide or 2500 character limit per the "FAQ's" section of the website?

Just click 'send request email" and they will send an email to the person recommending you. I think it saves after you click it.
Thanks! I was able to get in touch with my other recommender today so it's all good

Has anyone been able to confirm whether the essays are each 250 word limit as stated per their application guide or 2500 character limit per the "FAQ's" section of the website?
I asked and she was confused as well, and she even asked where it says 2500, and I told her under the FAQ's section lol. She said its safer to go with the guide since it just got updated.

oh my god so I started cutting down a lot from 2,500 characters. and now i reached the "supporting documents" page in the application and it says "Essays should be limited to 2,500 characters or less in Times New Roman 12 font."
........... i don't know what to do now

oh my god so I started cutting down a lot from 2,500 characters. and now i reached the "supporting documents" page in the application and it says "Essays should be limited to 2,500 characters or less in Times New Roman 12 font."
........... i don't know what to do now
okay so you're at supporting docs page and it says 2500 characters as well? I haven't made it past letter of rec page - it's dumb we have to finish the section before we can go on to the next.

okay so you're at supporting docs page and it says 2500 characters as well? I haven't made it past letter of rec page - it's dumb we have to finish the section before we can go on to the next.
yea its annoying. and yes that what it says on the page, so I guess go with 2,500 characters or less right?

The confusion wouldn't be such a bad thing if it wasn't dealing with important material that could get your app thrown out!

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Wow, they actually shortened it. Last year the manual said 2,500 characters (one and a half page with spacing). Great, going to have do some serious revamping.

250 words is nothing... lol.

Has anyone confirmed if it is 250 words or 2500 characters?

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked and she was confused as well, and she even asked where it says 2500, and I told her under the FAQ's section lol. She said its safer to go with the guide since it just got updated.
She didn't give you a definitive answer? She seriously said safer? Wtf? I feel like having the wrong word/character count would be a huge issue, lol.

She didn't give you a definitive answer? She seriously said safer? Wtf? I feel like having the wrong word/character count would be a huge issue, lol.

Ok just called again. Woman I spoke to put me on hold to go ask her superior.

Her directions: Follow the 2,500 character count, INCLUDE SPACES in the count.

Reactions: 6 users
Lol yea she wasn't sure

Ok just called again. Woman I spoke to put me on hold to go ask her superior.

Her directions: Follow the 2,500 character count, INCLUDE SPACES in the count.
Thank you!

That's just great. I called the office and asked the lady. She says they guide has been updated, they have not updated the system yet. That's why it shows 2500 character count. i am really confused now.

That's just great. I called the office and asked the lady. She says they guide has been updated, they have not updated the system yet. That's why it shows 2500 character count. i am really confused now.
lol omg this is ridiculous......

Does she know the application itself isn't updated, not just the website?
lol i called again and I was told to have it 2,500 characters including spaces

There's website maintenance planned on Sunday morning, so maybe they'll fix it if its an update issue

How are we supposed to upload our supporting documents? Do I need a to scan a copy and upload that to my computer?

So i am thinking to apply for all 4 years but i was thinking does it increase your chances if you apply for 1 or 2 years? Also, is there a possibility that they award you scholarship for less years than you applied for? Just curious!

So i am thinking to apply for all 4 years but i was thinking does it increase your chances if you apply for 1 or 2 years? Also, is there a possibility that they award you scholarship for less years than you applied for? Just curious!
I read that it would have no effect.

Wait, so Im stuck on the LOR page. If were still unsure of who we want to get our Recommendations from, is there anyway to skip that part and move on with the application?

Also, if were taking some free classes (graduate), but do not have the intention of getting a degree; should we just put our undergrad gpa?

Wait, so Im stuck on the LOR page. If were still unsure of who we want to get our Recommendations from, is there anyway to skip that part and move on with the application?

No

I'm going to stick to the lesser 250 count to be safe

Last year's scholar here. I would stick to 2500 characters or less (including spaces) because that's the way it has been for the past few years. Also 250 words is just too short especially since essays are the most important part of your application. Let me know if you guys have any other questions. I would be happy to help.

Reactions: 2 users
I noticed there is no place to upload the Verification of Exceptional Financial Need... Has anyone called to ask about this?

I noticed there is no place to upload the Verification of Exceptional Financial Need... Has anyone called to ask about this?
Yes! I called and spoke to someone about this earlier. He said that there would be a spot for you to upload these forms on "step 11". I'm still working on my essays, so I haven't passed 7, so I can't verify this. BUT according to what I can see, there are only eight steps. It's a bit frustrating that you can only see the next part of the applcation, once the current section is complete. Kind of gives me anxiety! lol

However, it really helps that they are so helpful when it comes to questions!

For the non-academic recommendation what would colleague qualify as? A classmate?

Check your answer in Step 3 "General Information" about exceptional need. If you answer 'Yes' only then you will get an option in Step 7 'supporting documents' to upload the form. Hope it helps

I just called they said it was a typo it is 2500 characters.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone completed and submitted their application already?

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Check your answer in Step 3 "General Information" about exceptional need. If you answer 'Yes' only then you will get an option in Step 7 'supporting documents' to upload the form. Hope it helps

Thanks!

How did you find out you qualify for EFN?

Hello! I hope everyone is doing well :)

I have a question about the scholarship. If I need funding for all 4 years, do I have to reapply each year? I feel like it doesn't make sense to reapply every year because I'll be writing the same essay and submitting the same info. again and again..

I have a question about the scholarship. If I need funding for all 4 years, do I have to reapply each year? I feel like it doesn't make sense to reapply every year because I'll be writing the same essay and submitting the same info. again and again..

In application, you have an option to select the year you are applying for. So you can simply check for all 4 years. Hope it helps

I'm curious about this as well. Can anyone chime in?

EFN status means you have received a specific scholarship called "Federal Scholarship for Students of Exceptional Financial Need" during your undergrad. If you get your undergrad financial office to sign the EFN form but have not actually received this scholarship, your application will be most likely be disqualified (I got rejected for this for the first time I applied). If you have received this scholarship you should know about it. Undergrad financial departments don't really understand this EFN status and sign the form anyways and it turns out you have never received this scholarship. The "Federal Scholarship for Students of Exceptional Financial Need" used to be given out a while ago and isn't given out anymore. So unless you are a non-tradition applicant (graduated back in the 90's) you should not have received this scholarship and therefore should not qualify for EFN. NHSC customer service are not informed about EFN. I received this information directly from an NHSC representative during a webinar last year.

Reactions: 2 users
In application, you have an option to select the year you are applying for. So you can simply check for all 4 years. Hope it helps

EFN status means you have received a specific scholarship called "Federal Scholarship for Students of Exceptional Financial Need" during your undergrad. If you get your undergrad financial office to sign the EFN form but have not actually received this scholarship, your application will be most likely be disqualified (I got rejected for this for the first time I applied). If you have received this scholarship you should know about it. Undergrad financial departments don't really understand this EFN status and sign the form anyways and it turns out you have never received this scholarship. The "Federal Scholarship for Students of Exceptional Financial Need" used to be given out a while ago and isn't given out anymore. So unless you are a non-tradition applicant (graduated back in the 90's) you should not have received this scholarship and therefore should not qualify for EFN. NHSC customer service are not informed about EFN. I received this information directly from an NHSC representative during a webinar last year.
Thank you for the information! Almost no one I have talked too had solid information regarding EFN status. Thanks for clearing that up.

so EFN is not equivalent to pell grants ?

So for the letters of recommendation, do you know if the writers will be sent the link to upload the letter or are there directions that are sent to them when I submit the request?

Last year's scholar here. I would stick to 2500 characters or less (including spaces) because that's the way it has been for the past few years. Also 250 words is just too short especially since essays are the most important part of your application. Let me know if you guys have any other questions. I would be happy to help.

Hey, thank you for helping us out. I have a quick question do we have an option to turn down our scholarship if we are accepted? I just want to know if there is an option of turning back after being selected. Thank you!

Hey, thank you for helping us out. I have a quick question do we have an option to turn down our scholarship if we are accepted? I just want to know if there is an option of turning back after being selected. Thank you!

Yes, you have the option of declining the scholarship.