NHSC Scholarship 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I'm an incoming M1 applying and I can't find 17-18 NHSC thread outside the dental forum --- is it dis-proportionally dental students who apply to the NHSC scholarship?
No, I would say mostly other programs. The year I got the scholarship, over 2,000 applied with 200 receiving the scholarship-- from which only 20ish were dental

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, thank you for helping us out. I have a quick question do we have an option to turn down our scholarship if we are accepted? I just want to know if there is an option of turning back after being selected. Thank you!
Like the others have said, yes. My year, they even called and asked "hey, if we give this to you, would you accept it? Or turn it down?" That happened a few weeks before I was told I was a finalist.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if we can use our dental school application LORs, or do we have to get new letters specific for the NHSC scholarship?
You don't have to get new ones, but I would highly recommend that you do. There is a completely different focus on these letters than there was on your dental school application letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! 4th year dental student/4 year NHSC Scholarship recipient here. I've been looking for this thread for a while and just found it. Looks like there is quite a bit of confusion. Let me know if you all have any specific questions about the application or job search/transitioning into service (I can't tell which questions have been answered in the thread... too much back and forth). Good luck to everyone!
Thank you so much!!! :) So kind and helpful of you.

Reactions: 1 user
I honestly don't think that part matters. I made dates up for mine because we are a year-round program with no more than 2 weeks off for any break. As long as your start date of 1st year and graduation date is correct, I don't think it is a problem. They follow up with you after each semester anyway after you receive the scholarship so I don't even know if that look at that part. Same with the fee schedule. They already request that info from each school on a yearly basis so the fact that they even ask that from you is unnecessary.
thanks. My school website does not have a fee schedule of current year. Can I submit last year tuition?

thanks. My school website does not have a fee schedule of current year. Can I submit last year tuition?
Usually you get one at your interview and it is most likely on the website. I haven't seen a school yet that doesn't at least give a "cost of attendance" estimate. If not, or if it isn't up to date, I'm sure last year's would be fine. Like I said, they gather that information regularly from all schools anyway.

Hey! 4th year dental student/4 year NHSC Scholarship recipient here. I've been looking for this thread for a while and just found it. Looks like there is quite a bit of confusion. Let me know if you all have any specific questions about the application or job search/transitioning into service (I can't tell which questions have been answered in the thread... too much back and forth). Good luck to everyone!
Have you been able to find a job in an area you are interested in living pretty easily? It sounds like you have a lot of say as to where you go to serve your commitment, has that been your experience so far?

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Like the others have said, yes. My year, they even called and asked "hey, if we give this to you, would you accept it? Or turn it down?" That happened a few weeks before I was told I was a finalist.

About how long after the deadline do you hear back?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Have you been able to find a job in an area you are interested in living pretty easily? It sounds like you have a lot of say as to where you go to serve your commitment, has that been your experience so far?

I think it's important to mention that I was not at all picky as to where I went. My only request was that I stay in Colorado. And I was able to find 3 jobs here, so I picked the one that worked best for me.
"A lot of say" is an understatement. You are 100% in charge of finding your own job. I think that has been my only complaint of the scholarship is that they don't really help at all in finding a job. They always direct you to the jobs site but have no additional information to help beyond that. You do it all yourself... which can be a lot of work, but it is just like any other job search. The hard part isn't finding qualifying sites, but finding openings at those sites.

About how long after the deadline do you hear back?

You don't hear back until the end of September. It takes a while. There are some clues along the way that you can look out for such as they will do a credit check on you in June/July and that will let you know you are progressing. They may also call and ask if you would accept if you got it. Then, if you find out you are a finalist, that means you pretty much got it.

For proof of citizenship I scanned my birth certificate onto my computer, when you do that it changes the background to read "void". Will I be okay to upload it?

For proof of citizenship I scanned my birth certificate onto my computer, when you do that it changes the background to read "void". Will I be okay to upload it?

I'm sure thats fine. They know it is a scan and that features like that may exist so the government can avoid fakes/counterfeits being created. If they were that picky about official documents, they wouldn't let you upload unofficial transcripts. They do a credit check later on and have enough info to do a background check/verify that you are actually a citizen if they really wanted to.

I'm sure thats fine. They know it is a scan and that features like that may exist so the government can avoid fakes/counterfeits being created. If they were that picky about official documents, they wouldn't let you upload unofficial transcripts. They do a credit check later on and have enough info to do a background check/verify that you are actually a citizen if they really wanted to.
Thanks for the input. I figured I was okay to use my scan I'm just nervous about doing something slightly wrong and having my whole application thrown out! Haha

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't hear back until the end of September. It takes a while. There are some clues along the way that you can look out for such as they will do a credit check on you in June/July and that will let you know you are progressing. They may also call and ask if you would accept if you got it. Then, if you find out you are a finalist, that means you pretty much got it.

The guidebook says that if you take out loans to cover accrued expenses before you are awarded, then you can submit those expenses and the scholarship will reimburse it. Is that what you did? If you did, is it pretty straight forward?

The guidebook says that if you take out loans to cover accrued expenses before you are awarded, then you can submit those expenses and the scholarship will reimburse it. Is that what you did? If you did, is it pretty straight forward?

It is more like when you take out loans... but yes, those loans will be taken care of if you receive the scholarship. It isn't by way of reimbursement though. Your school's financial aid office will automatically reverse the loans that you pulled out and replace it with the scholarship funds that they receive. Because this usually happens within 90 days of the loans being dispersed, you aren't charged any additional fees or anything so it works out pretty much even. What is nice is that the monthly stipends will be retroactively applied back to June or July so you will have some extra money up front. They also give you the ORC payment shortly after this happens and for me, they included an additional $2000 for a new laptop.. just because, so that is nice, too. You end up having a large amount of money right when you get the scholarship... like $12k all of the sudden is in your bank account and you no longer have any loans. It is a good feeling. Just don't spend all that money, because they expect it to last for the purposes that they gave it to you for (which they tell you in an email), but you still end up with a little extra.

Reactions: 3 users
i sent my academic standing/verification form to the counselor of my dental school and have not received response yet. left voice messages but no response. anyone else having a hard time getting the form filled by the counselor of dental school?

i sent my academic standing/verification form to the counselor of my dental school and have not received response yet. left voice messages but no response. anyone else having a hard time getting the form filled by the counselor of dental school?
I had a difficult time too because they didn't know what it was for and thought it was the military scholarship and they had someone designated to handle that paperwork and it wasn't due until a different date so they were holding onto it. Then they filled it out wrong when I finally got them to look at it. Just keep it on their mind and make sure they know there is a deadline.

Me! I asked them to fill it out for me on 3-15 and i was told I'll get it by 3-24 and never did. It's been like 3 weeks now. I've been trying to get in contact with them and I'm getting nothing :/

This might be a dumb question, but under background information for highest education received do I put my high school if I'm graduating from college this May and don't technically have my degree yet? I only ask because there is a 2017 option for year received.

Has anyone submitted yet and tried to view their application? Supposedly you should be able to view a pdf file of your entire application, but when I click on the link, it shows an error and cannot download. I've tried calling the support line, but they don't know why it's happening. Has anyone experienced this? I want to make sure my application will be visible to the people on the other end...

This might be a dumb question, but under background information for highest education received do I put my high school if I'm graduating from college this May and don't technically have my degree yet? I only ask because there is a 2017 option for year received.

I just put 2017 and the name of my college.

Hi I was wondering, if there was any secrets or specific things I should include in my essays?? Also is race a deciding factor as well or income?

Hi I was wondering, if there was any secrets or specific things I should include in my essays?? Also is race a deciding factor as well or income?
Not secrets necessarily, but some things to consider. Look at this:

HRSA Review Information

That will help you direct your thoughts. I don't know if race is necessarily, but they are looking for diversity. Income isn't necessarily, but if you have a "disadvantaged background," that is considered.

I just put 2017 and the name of my college.
Same. I just looked it up and my "highest level of education" just said "other." Not sure what that means or what I meant by that... Although, high school diploma is still technically my highest level of education (I was accepted into dental school early w/o a bachelors), so I really don't think that would matter too much if you put high school diploma on yours. If you are accepted into dental school, that is probably all they really care about. It is just generic "background" information.

Has anyone submitted yet and tried to view their application? Supposedly you should be able to view a pdf file of your entire application, but when I click on the link, it shows an error and cannot download. I've tried calling the support line, but they don't know why it's happening. Has anyone experienced this? I want to make sure my application will be visible to the people on the other end...

Hey, yeah I experienced the same issue. Have you asked them if they are able to see your complete application at least?

Same. I just looked it up and my "highest level of education" just said "other." Not sure what that means or what I meant by that... Although, high school diploma is still technically my highest level of education (I was accepted into dental school early w/o a bachelors), so I really don't think that would matter too much if you put high school diploma on yours. If you are accepted into dental school, that is probably all they really care about. It is just generic "background" information.

Congratulations for getting the scholarship :) and thank you for offering to help!!

Has anyone figured out how to view our app after we submit? Or if its an issue on the part of nhsc or what?

Hey all,

I have two questions:

1. What did you guys put for "What is your program end date"? I put the date I will graduate (4 years from now), but then isn't that the same thing as "What is your expected graduation date"?
2. Who did you guys have sign the "Acceptance Report"? I know the guide states that it should be signed by a "school official". Can that be anyone at the school? Also can I just email it to someone at the school and have them scan it back to me after they sign it?

Thanks!

Hey all,

I have two questions:

1. What did you guys put for "What is your program end date"? I put the date I will graduate (4 years from now), but then isn't that the same thing as "What is your expected graduation date"?
2. Who did you guys have sign the "Acceptance Report"? I know the guide states that it should be signed by a "school official". Can that be anyone at the school? Also can I just email it to someone at the school and have them scan it back to me after they sign it?

Thanks!
Hey.

1. I put the same date for both. If you want, you can email the school and ask them to help you fill out that part. That's what I did and they gave me approximate dates.
2. I emailed the form to the office of admissions in PDF form and told them I needed it for this scholarship I'm applying for. It was filled out and signed by the Assistant Dean then sent back to me.

Thanks qkrdpsk.

Also does anyone know what happens if someone fails out of school in like the first year? Obviously we will all try our best to do well in school but if we get like 50k for the first year and then end up not doing well would we owe 3x?

On the NHSC application guide (pg 35) it says that a scholar who is "dismissed from school for academic or disciplinary reasons or who voluntarily terminate academic training before graduation" "will be liable to the US for repayments of all NHSC SP funds paid to them and to the school on their behalf. The amount owed must be paid in full within three years" Also it seems no interest would be charged during those 3 years. So if, unfortunately, one were to leave after first year it seems we would only owe the tuition back and not 3x the amount we received?

Thanks qkrdpsk.

Also does anyone know what happens if someone fails out of school in like the first year? Obviously we will all try our best to do well in school but if we get like 50k for the first year and then end up not doing well would we owe 3x?

On the NHSC application guide (pg 35) it says that a scholar who is "dismissed from school for academic or disciplinary reasons or who voluntarily terminate academic training before graduation" "will be liable to the US for repayments of all NHSC SP funds paid to them and to the school on their behalf. The amount owed must be paid in full within three years" Also it seems no interest would be charged during those 3 years. So if, unfortunately, one were to leave after first year it seems we would only owe the tuition back and not 3x the amount we received?
Yes, I believe that is the case (only owing what was paid to and on behalf of you w/o interest). Although, I don't think this should even be on your mind.

Hey.

1. I put the same date for both. If you want, you can email the school and ask them to help you fill out that part. That's what I did and they gave me approximate dates.
2. I emailed the form to the office of admissions in PDF form and told them I needed it for this scholarship I'm applying for. It was filled out and signed by the Assistant Dean then sent back to me.
1) I put the same for both as well. Some schools technically end classes/clinic a few weeks before graduation.
2) exactly. Anyone from the school who can verify that you are accepted and going to matriculate in the fall. It is usually some sort of Dean, admissions officer or personnel in the office of student/academic affairs

Hey all,

I have two questions:

Thanks!
1. i put August to may for all of them
2. I sent it to the admission counselor of dental school and she emailed it back to me.

Thanks all. Also do you guys know if it's possible to upload multiple transcripts and if so is that a required? I graduated from a 4 year school but I also took some classes at a CC both before and after graduating. Am I required to include those classes? Also how'd you guys get the unofficial transcript? Did you just take a screen shot?

So much confusion about the length of our essays on the webinar! The staff is contradicting themselves left and right!

So much confusion about the length of our essays on the webinar! The staff is contradicting themselves left and right!

Yeah I think that is because this is the first year in many years that there was even a change in wording for that section (the questions themselves and all the instructions have been almost word for word every year since I have been involved). I was listening in and it seemed like they finally decided that it would be 250 words. Is that correct?

Thanks all. Also do you guys know if it's possible to upload multiple transcripts and if so is that a required? I graduated from a 4 year school but I also took some classes at a CC both before and after graduating. Am I required to include those classes? Also how'd you guys get the unofficial transcript? Did you just take a screen shot?

Someone else asked this question during the webinar tonight - if you want to submit multiple transcripts, you'll have to upload them as one PDF file (so probably print each transcript and scan as one document). The staff gave conflicting answers for including coursework from other institutions where you did not earn a degree, so I'm not sure what they want.

Yeah I think that is because this is the first year in many years that there was even a change in wording for that section (the questions themselves and all the instructions have been almost word for word every year since I have been involved). I was listening in and it seemed like they finally decided that it would be 250 words. Is that correct?

I was listening in as well and thought they emphasized a 500 word limit... Direct quote from one NHSC staff member (I took a screenshot of some questions/responses): "Each essay word requirement is 500 words." Another staff member responded to a different person and stated 2500 characters.

I think 500 word count! I took a screenshot of the convo if you want me to post it!

I was listening in as well and thought they emphasized a 500 word limit... Direct quote from one NHSC staff member (I took a screenshot of some questions/responses): "Each essay word requirement is 500 words." Another staff member responded to a different person and stated 2500 characters.
Haha oh ok. Well, good luck with that. I would hope that with as much confusion that there has been on this specific topic that they just accept everything as long as it is "about half a page" because that part of the wording is the only thing that has been consistent.

I also was under the impression that it was 500 words.

I would like to know the answer to this question as well.

I asked about the word limit as well and was told it was 500 words too. Don't know how they can go from 250 words to 2500 characters (right there on the application) to 500 words. I guess at this point we know just as much as they do.

Someone else asked this question during the webinar tonight - if you want to submit multiple transcripts, you'll have to upload them as one PDF file (so probably print each transcript and scan as one document). The staff gave conflicting answers for including coursework from other institutions where you did not earn a degree, so I'm not sure what they want.
I was told to only send transcripts from institutions where a degree was granted. The wording in the guideline on this subject appears to be clear.

I asked about the word limit as well and was told it was 500 words too. Don't know how they can go from 250 words to 2500 characters (right there on the application) to 500 words. I guess at this point we know just as much as they do.
Yeah, I'm just running with what it states on the application itself. I figure you can't go wrong when the page you submit on states "2500 characters" explicitly.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile