New podiatry school approved - UT Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This I support and believe is good for the profession.
Texas school is not good for the profession

Yes, but is it good for Dr. Harkless?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Greed knows no bounds

PM News had a few posts about this again in the past week or two

Here is today's post:

UTRGV Podiatry School a Natural Expansion for Diabetes Research: TX Podiatrist

UT-Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) is moving forward with its new podiatry program, planning to welcome its inaugural class in the fall of next year. UTRGV got the approval of the UT Board of Regents earlier this year to establish a School of Podiatry and a doctor of podiatric medicine degree program. It will be only the 10th podiatry school in the country, and the first in Texas.

The interim dean of the school, Lawrence Harkless, DPM says the Rio Grande Valley is an ideal location for the school because of the high rate of diabetes. Harkless says the School of Podiatry would be a natural expansion of the research being done at the South Texas Diabetes and Obesity Institute that’s part of the UTRGV School of Medicine.

Upcoming residency shortage? More job saturation? Exactly what the profession needs

• Angry
  • Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
PM News had a few posts about this again in the past week or two

Here is today's post:

UTRGV Podiatry School a Natural Expansion for Diabetes Research: TX Podiatrist

UT-Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) is moving forward with its new podiatry program, planning to welcome its inaugural class in the fall of next year. UTRGV got the approval of the UT Board of Regents earlier this year to establish a School of Podiatry and a doctor of podiatric medicine degree program. It will be only the 10th podiatry school in the country, and the first in Texas.

The interim dean of the school, Lawrence Harkless, DPM says the Rio Grande Valley is an ideal location for the school because of the high rate of diabetes. Harkless says the School of Podiatry would be a natural expansion of the research being done at the South Texas Diabetes and Obesity Institute that’s part of the UTRGV School of Medicine.

Upcoming residency shortage? More job saturation? Exactly what the profession needs

Harkless must be running out of cash. Time to create another school and pay himself a handsome 6 figure salary. Smartest man in podiatry

Reactions: 3 users
Great news for older private practice Pods. Soon there's gonna be even MORE new grads fighting for these 70-80k base salaries, further driving these already abysmal numbers down.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Any chance CPME doesn't approve the new school?

Reactions: 1 user
I recommend submitting concerns directly to CPME, your state podiatric medical association, and the APMA to get our voices heard. Spread the news to other young podiatrists in the country and encourage them to do the same. This sounds like a reasonable way to raise awareness rather than vent on this forum and cry when we have 10 podiatry schools with a poor job outlook.

Here is the CPME contact us form

Beyond comprehension. They can barely fill the seats in the other schools. Another self serving DPM. What a surprise.

And to be frank, south Texas doesn’t need anymore DPMs.

I was talking with a mentor associated with a podiatric school a few months back and he said they can't get quality candidates and are having to interview lower GPA students then they have had to in the past and that all the schools were dealing with the same thing.

Can anyone explain to me how Harkless got this rammed through? Is there anything we can do to reverse this?

Podiatry really hates podiatry apparently. The idiots in charge need to step down.

are having to interview lower GPA students

Applicant to Matriculant profile isnt far off historically.

Applications per year are pretty stable.

But sad to see another school to open up without evidence of a true need aside from lining pockets.

Reactions: 3 users
Points to consider:

1) Hopefully we don't end up oversaturated like Pharmacy, with salaries to match
2) More podiatrists out there, the more influence we may have, the more "mainstream" we are. Maybe it will help laws, scope of practice get pushed through for the better.

The issue with Podiatry, like almost everything else, is that it is full of completely self-interested people.

Schools don't care what residency you go to or if you will get good training. They don't care if you don't have the grades or the background to succeed, they will accept you anyways. They just want that sweet tuition $$$$.

Many attending at residencies (not all but mine was certainly like this) don't care about your training or experiences. They don't care about you as a person. You are literally a pair of scrubs seeing clinic patients so they don't have to while they watch the clock. The hospital certainly doesn't care about you. They just want the Medicare funding they get for having you.

I already had a huge post about my experiences as an associate with private practice podiatry so I won't expand on that here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think creating a saturation problem might force us to consider separating our profession into podiatric foot and ankle surgery residency and podiatric surgery residency (forefoot, limited rear foot and trauma, limb salvage). Residencies can already be somewhat categorized like that might as well make it official.

I think creating a saturation problem might force us to consider separating our profession into podiatric foot and ankle surgery residency and podiatric surgery residency (forefoot, limited rear foot and trauma, limb salvage). Residencies can already be somewhat categorized like that might as well make it official.

With all due respect sir, splitting an already ambiguous and limited profession into hairs would only undermine what credibility this profession currently has- which isn't much seeing as people still do not know or trust what we do.

Even if we do not utilize the surgical training we go through, however limited pending residencies, it does nothing to water down our training or further limit it into separate branches.

Reactions: 5 users

I respectfully think this is a bad idea. It will only create more division among our already divided profession. Let us keep everything uniform. A foot is a foot is a foot. The foot works and walks as a whole. Making arbitrary lines and borders will only set us backwards.

For example, a patient comes in with a bunion deformity and severe pes planus. Fixing only the bunion and not addressing the rare foot/ankle component causing the pes planus will only make the bunion return.

There are many more examples like this why it's a bad idea to divide the training into forefoot vs rear foot/ankle

“Our School of Podiatry is going to be a big game-changer here in the Valley, where so many people need specialty care due to complications from diabetes,” he said. “This will allow us to train our own doctors to address a very specific critical need. We remain committed to improving the future of healthcare in South Texas.”

What's the chance any of their students stay in the Valley?
Where are the QUALITY residency slots coming from?
What happens after Texas as a state becomes saturated?

"The school will also help improve the shortage of podiatric physicians in the state, especially in under-served areas where amputation and disability rates are extremely high".

There is a need, but that need does not necessitate an entire school's worth of DPMs. I will bet my entire student loan debt less than 50% of that graduating class will stay in the Valley. 2-3 years out, the Valley itself will become saturated to the point where the next graduating classes are looking to get OUT of the Valley. This assumes everyone is going there to serve the diabetic population in under represented areas- which I guarantee you they are not.

This line of thought and justification doesn't even cut it. Its insane how it even got shoe-horned through so quickly and now they're all congratulating each other. $$$

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

It should be a requirement for them to open. All students must sign an employment contract to work in an underserved southern Texas location for X years after residency. Then they'll go under right away when they only get 5 applications...

“Our School of Podiatry is going to be a big game-changer here in the Valley, where so many people need specialty care due to complications from diabetes,” he said. “This will allow us to train our own doctors to address a very specific critical need. We remain committed to improving the future of healthcare in South Texas.”

Where are the QUALITY residency slots coming from?
What happens after Texas as a state becomes saturated?

"The school will also help improve the shortage of podiatric physicians in the state, especially in under-served areas where amputation and disability rates are extremely high".

There is a need, but that need does not necessitate an entire school's worth of DPMs. I will bet my entire student loan debt less than 50% of that graduating class will stay in the Valley. 2-3 years out, the Valley itself will become saturated to the point where the next graduating classes are looking to get OUT of the Valley. This assumes everyone is going there to serve the diabetic population in under represented areas- which I guarantee you they are not.

This line of thought and justification doesn't even cut it. Its insane how it even got shoe-horned through so quickly and now they're all congratulating each other. $$$

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to open up a practice there and pay associate suckers 25% of collections with no benefits, of course. The podiatry way!

For example, a patient comes in with a bunion deformity and severe pes planus. Fixing only the bunion and not addressing the rare foot/ankle component causing the pes planus will only make the bunion return.

There are many more examples like this why it's a bad idea to divide the training into forefoot vs rear foot/ankle

I get your point about the bunion in this argument, although that rear foot pathology is typically driven by varum/Valium of the knee or tibia. Are you sending every patient to get that fixed first? A majority of the time a bunion should be treated as just that, a bunion.

Everyone needs to know the clinic procedures and office pathology, diagnostics, treatments and surgical indications. Everyone does NOT need to do the surgery.

We should have only a minority of DPMs doing any surgery at all (like dentists or MDs). It was that way for decades (residency shortage... esp good programs) and worked fairly well; the only major hangup were the few docs who pretended they knew surgery and did not ...yet they used fake boards or bamboozled small hospitals. They were the minority, and they are falling off the map now. Overall, it worked, though... non-surgical referred to surgical and their back was usually scratched in return. The only downside is the confusion among referring docs, but just like dentist training, they figured it out among themselves pretty well (most do cleanings/fillings, some don't... some do wisdom teeth, some don't... some do OMFS trauma, some don't... some do peds, some don't, etc).

We could do 2 or 3yr residencies that would lead to ABPM cert only (office, wounds, orthotics and braces, injections, Rx, clinic procedures, etc) and 3 or 4yr programs for some grads that would lead to ABFAS and the OR stuff (and ABPM also if they wanted to). That way, it makes those surgical docs much better (good training, good volume), and it saves the others from struggling to pass hard boards or do surgeries they are just not very good at and saw few/none of in training. Imagine if I did 3 OR days per week instead of 1 day, and consider my results if I did 45 Lapidus and 150 Austins per year instead of 15 and 50. We simply don't need DPMs who do only 5 or 10 bunions per year or maybe even just 5 or 10 total OR surgeries per year. It is not good for them, not good for patients and outcomes, and not ideal for the profession's rep. They would be better off doing the conservative care, sending out when surgery is clearly needed, and getting RFC or DFE or orthotics referrals of non-surgical (vasculopath, geriatric, psych, etc pts) in return from the DPM surgeons when they send over the surgery cases (same way Cardio and CT Surg, FP and Ortho, Endo and Onc Surg, etc work).

Instead, in podiatry, we are obsessed with this "everyone's a surgeon" thing, and it falls short on many levels: not enough good residencies (new Pod school will add gas to that fire), not everyone wants to do surgery, not enough volume for many DPM surgeons (esp RRA, TAAs for those cowboys who want to do them) during or after residency, low surgery board pass rates (due to many poor/mediocre training programs), etc. Our present state is still a great improvement over where podiatry was 50 or even 20 years ago, but it is just not ideal to have such variation among "all podiatrists do 3 year standardized programs and all do surgery." We all know there are some 3yr trained DPM grads doing basically wound and amps only, many doing wounds and forefoot elective/trauma only, some doing basic RRA elective but scant or no RRA trauma, and some others doing essentially everything F&A ortho does. If I can barely read a podiatrist's CV and tell you what they can probably do with proficiency and what they should be credentialed and privileged for, how the heck will MDs ever know what to expect from DPMs??? :confused:

Last edited:
Everyone needs to know the clinic procedures and office pathology, diagnostics, treatments and surgical indications. Everyone does NOT need to do the surgery.

We should have only a minority of DPMs doing any surgery at all (like dentists or MDs). It was that way for decades (residency shortage... esp good programs) and worked fairly well; the only major hangup were the few docs who pretended they knew surgery and did not ...yet they used fake boards or bamboozled small hospitals. They were the minority, and they are falling off the map now. Overall, it worked, though... non-surgical referred to surgical and their back was usually scratched in return. The only downside is the confusion among referring docs, but just like dentist training, they figured it out among themselves pretty well (most do cleanings/fillings, some don't... some do wisdom teeth, some don't... some do OMFS trauma, some don't... some do peds, some don't, etc).

We could do 2 or 3yr residencies that would lead to ABPM cert only (office, wounds, orthotics and braces, injections, Rx, clinic procedures, etc) and 3 or 4yr programs for some grads that would lead to ABFAS and the OR stuff (and ABPM also if they wanted to). That way, it makes those surgical docs much better (good training, good volume), and it saves the others from struggling to pass hard boards or do surgeries they are just not very good at and saw few/none of in training. Imagine if I did 3 OR days per week instead of 1 day, and consider my results if I did 45 Lapidus and 150 Austins per year instead of 15 and 50. We simply don't need DPMs who do only 5 or 10 bunions per year or maybe even just 5 or 10 total OR surgeries per year. It is not good for them, not good for patients and outcomes, and not ideal for the profession's rep. They would be better off doing the conservative care, sending out when surgery is clearly needed, and getting RFC or DFE or orthotics referrals of non-surgical (vasculopath, geriatric, psych, etc pts) in return from the DPM surgeons when they send over the surgery cases (same way Cardio and CT Surg, FP and Ortho, Endo and Onc Surg, etc work).

Instead, in podiatry, we are obsessed with this "everyone's a surgeon" thing, and it falls short on many levels: not enough good residencies (new Pod school will add gas to that fire), not everyone wants to do surgery, not enough volume for many DPM surgeons (esp RRA, TAAs for those cowboys who want to do them) during or after residency, low surgery board pass rates (due to many poor/mediocre training programs), etc. Our present state is still a great improvement over where podiatry was 50 or even 20 years ago, but it is just not ideal to have such variation among "all podiatrists do 3 year standardized programs and all do surgery." We all know there are some 3yr trained DPM grads doing basically wound and amps only, many doing wounds and forefoot elective/trauma only, some doing basic RRA elective but scant or no RRA trauma, and some others doing essentially everything F&A ortho does. If I can barely read a podiatrist's CV and tell you what they can probably do with proficiency and what they should be credentialed and privileged for, how the heck will MDs ever know what to expect from DPMs??? :confused:

Understood.

With all due respect sir, counter argument.

-Even those who have horrible hand skills, are bad at surgery, but are technically allowed to do it- will still do it because they do not know their own limits. Those who do, know better than to do something they are not trained to do. Delineation of training will not fix individual character flaws nor prevent them from operating on patients. Blame it on the schools who tout surgery in front of desperate premeds as a selling point. It only takes a handful to ruin our image, and they already have and will continue to do so even with surgical / non surgical paths.

-ABPM vs ABFAS vs whatever else board that currently exists or will come in the future. How will hospitals or those in positions of hiring view us? I would like to believe they'd view all boards as equally competent. I don't believe this is true in the real world.

If everyone played fair like you and could differentiate between right and wrong, podiatry would not be squabbling. There are bad apples in the MD/DO world as well, but because ours is physically smaller, bad apples make a bigger impact.

I am extremely limited in knowledge of residency and life after, but I firmly do not believe creating more pathways within our already small field will increase our credibility to MD/DO colleagues/hospital systems or stop DPMs who shouldn't be doing surgery from doing so.

I think the issue with enforcement is you would need to change the state's scope of practice. You are granted everything under the state to treat what is allowed. Sorry but I dont see state law being rewritten to create a dual pathway DPM with surgeons and non-surgeons.

Sadly the regulation of skilled vs. unskilled people doing cases will rest on the hospitals. I love how I have a hospital that granted me full unrestricted privileges with no oversight and a neighboring hospital made me submit my cases to an evaluator to "make sure I was doing a good job" by just reading my notes.

That's a mistake...there is no podiatry program within the LECOM system now or there is no talk about opening one in the future (as of now).
There is a pod residency program with Millcreek Community but that's about it.
Did you read the job ad? It costs money to posts job on indeed. I doubt they posted it on accident lol.

...It only takes a handful to ruin our image, and they already have and will continue to do so even with surgical / non surgical paths. ...
Correct. We are judged by our lowest common denominator.

...ABPM vs ABFAS vs whatever else board that currently exists or will come in the future. How will hospitals or those in positions of hiring view us? I would like to believe they'd view all boards as equally competent. I don't believe this is true in the real world...
ABPM and ABFAS are not viewed equally. In most metro hospitals, you need ABFAS qual/cert to get OR privileges, and ABPM cert alone might get you consult/wound center. H&Ps and admit are regional as to whether they're allowed at all for DPMs. In a smaller hospital or more rural one, ABFAS work same yet ABPM might also get you OR privileges, or the non-accredited (fake) boards might even be viewed as acceptable if the area is underserved enough. It all depends on the facility, their bylaws, chief of pod or chief of surg, staff podiatrists, etc. It is also political (eg, the chief of podiatry's group member might be able to skate by with ABPM for surgical privileges, but a competing group's DPM would not be granted).

As it stands, the good podiatry residency programs have nearly 100% pass on ABFAS qual... and nearly all of those docs eventually become cert. The mediocre and poor residency programs have avg or low ABFAS qual pass rates... even lower cert rates. The ABPM pass rates are pretty high among all programs. I would just question why we are even trying to continually force the square peg in a round hole.

Like any medical specialty, it is basically the 80/20 rule... 80% of board cert docs will be pretty good, and 80% of non-cert will be pretty questionable. Hospitals know this and generally act accordingly unless they have no options or don't understand the boards. So, there are exceptions to every rule, but why not just play to the probabilities? That is what DDS have done with success for years... top fraction will get surgical/prosth/peds/etc residency, others will still probably get board cert for general dent... yet they had exposure to indications for the tough stuff and can send their tough cases out. Privileges, income, etc are sorted out accordingly, but you have almost no confusion as to what an oral surgeon vs pediatric dent vs general dentist can do. That is the major snag point right now in podiatry.

Last edited:
Did you read the job ad? It costs money to posts job on indeed. I doubt they posted it on accident lol.

And people who are making these ads can't make a mistake because they paid for it?
LECOM can't open a Pod school overnight; we have been hearing about the TX one past year or two, and that one will begin in 22.

Anyways, the current DPM residents at LECOM/Millcreek don't know anything about this, so I made a thread in the DO forum to see If a student heard anything different. Let's see!

And people who are making these ads can't make a mistake because they paid for it?
LECOM can't open a Pod school overnight; we have been hearing about the TX one past year or two, and that one will begin in 22.

Anyways, the current DPM residents at LECOM/Millcreek don't know anything about this, so I made a thread in the DO forum to see If a student heard anything different. Let's see!
They could be scouting this out similar to how UTRGV literally has zero (?) podiatrists in their employment except for Hark. Bring someone along - start talking it up, run it up the flagpole, see what they like. I'm not from the NE but this isn't this one of those systems that keeps expanding, making new schools, branching into other fields? They have DO, DDS, Pharm, etc - DPM could be their next thing.

Anyway, back on UTRGV - it blows my mind how little it takes to start a podiatry school. Find a school to say yes. In this case - a school that essentially exists because of social justice so they are open to podiatry riding their coat tails. And - if I'm being really negative - THAT'S IT. UTRGV from my exploration has ...zero podiatrists on staff other than Hark. I don't see any evidence of a podiatry department. I skimmed many of the local hospitals and saw - zero podiatrists on staff. Essentially - you can have zero local infrastructure in place, zero local residencies, and boom - start a school. I should point out - I don't have the time to investigate, to read every local's profile, to skim the staff at every hospital - but I can't find anything on UTRGVs website, nor the website of the hospital that hosts their residencies, nor the 2-3 other local hospitals I skimmed in McAllen and Edinburg. There are local podiatrists obviously. I read the announcement and apparently this is all contingent on them hiring 3 podiatrists to be faculty.

Texas historically has had laws in the books that require public schools to accept 90% instate students. I don't know how that applies to medical schools. UTRGV appears to charge something along the lines of $20K for instate and like $33K for out of state. That would likely still make them one of the cheapest schools even for non-residents. However, if the 90% rule applied they would theoretically either have to steal essentially all the students going to other schools who are Texas natives or get a bunch of Texans who otherwise wouldn't have applied to go there instead. But that part of Texas sucks. I felt like I met other people on the trail who were like - Des Moines just isn't busy and diverse enough for me. Perhaps the students who go there can party it up in Reynosa.

ABPM and ABFAS are not viewed equally. In most metro hospitals, you need ABFAS qual/cert to get OR privileges, and ABPM cert alone might get you consult/wound center.

The ABPM pass rates are pretty high among all programs. I would just question why we are even trying to continually force the square peg in a round hole.
I'll just say that the ABPM pass rate is similar to pass rates for ABMS (MD) boards. It's in the mid- to high-80% most years.

And your hospital and surgical privileges must be based on your education, training, and experience, not on your board certification. In fact, it's illegal (codified in the Medicare Conditions of Participation) for institutions to use board certification as the sole criterion in privileging.

Education = your DPM degree, which has been standardized by CPME for decades
Training = your residency program, which has been standardized by CPME in Podiatric Medicine and Surgery since 2004 and 3 years in 2012
Experience = is how many cases you've done of whatever privilege you're applying for (for example, if you don't have any experience in ankle implants, you won't get that privilege no matter what your board certification is)

Thus, every graduate from a DPM school who completes a residency program should be eligible for hospital and surgical privileges based on their experience.

All of these requirements are on www.podiatryprivileges.com

If you experience discrimination in privileging based on your board certification, ABPM has been able to help in every case so far and if you're insured by PICA, they have an administrative defense fund up to $100,000 that has helped some DPMs.

I'll just say that the ABPM pass rate is similar to pass rates for ABMS (MD) boards. It's in the mid- to high-80% most years.

And your hospital and surgical privileges must be based on your education, training, and experience, not on your board certification. In fact, it's illegal (codified in the Medicare Conditions of Participation) for institutions to use board certification as the sole criterion in privileging.

Education = your DPM degree, which has been standardized by CPME for decades
Training = your residency program, which has been standardized by CPME in Podiatric Medicine and Surgery since 2004 and 3 years in 2012
Experience = is how many cases you've done of whatever privilege you're applying for (for example, if you don't have any experience in ankle implants, you won't get that privilege no matter what your board certification is)

Thus, every graduate from a DPM school who completes a residency program should be eligible for hospital and surgical privileges based on their experience.

All of these requirements are on www.podiatryprivileges.com

If you experience discrimination in privileging based on your board certification, ABPM has been able to help in every case so far and if you're insured by PICA, they have an administrative defense fund up to $100,000 that has helped some DPMs.
The hospital system I am consulting provider for accepts only ABFAS and providers must be certified within 10 years of residency graduation or surgical privileges pulled (at least thats what is on paper). I'm sure it could be challenged but around here its ABFAS or bust.

The hospital system I am consulting provider for accepts only ABFAS and providers must be certified within 10 years of residency graduation or surgical privileges pulled (at least thats what is on paper). I'm sure it could be challenged but around here its ABFAS or bust.
Probably just hasn't been challenged yet.

Also, 10 years is pretty generous. Most hospitals are 5 years, which can cause a problem since both CPME recognized boards give you longer than 5 years to complete certification.

Job posting is listed on LECOM's career opportunities page.

So 2 schools in PA, 2 in CA, 1 NY, 1 OH, 1 IL, 1 AZ, 1 in FL and 1 in TX. Any bets on where number 11 will pop up?

Our fate is sealed. This field is dead with the addition of more schools.
Residency spots are a cap though. So I assume a ton of grads just won’t match instead of podiatry becoming the new pharmacy. Or am I way off on this?

Residency spots are a cap though. So I assume a ton of grads just won’t match instead of podiatry becoming the new pharmacy. Or am I way off on this?

In this year's match, there were 596 CPME Approved Residency spots for a total of 545 applicants (527 from the class of 2020, rest from previous years)...
99.7% matched when the data was released on March 27th, 2020.

53 or so programs went without a match.

The new school in Texas will begin classes from 2022, meaning the first class that applies for the match will be 2026.
Just by looking at this year's match stats, if the Tx-school caps their class size to under 50-students, we should be fine as far as the match goes.

I'm not saying we need another podiatry school (we don't), but we'll also not become the "new pharmacy," as long as there isn't a new school popping every few years.

In this year's match, there were 596 CPME Approved Residency spots for a total of 545 applicants (527 from the class of 2020, rest from previous years)...
99.7% matched when the data was released on March 27th, 2020.

53 or so programs went without a match.

The new school in Texas will begin classes from 2022, meaning the first class that applies for the match will be 2026.
Just by looking at this year's match stats, if the Tx-school caps their class size to under 50-students, we should be fine as far as the match goes.

I'm not saying we need another podiatry school (we don't), but we'll also not become the "new pharmacy," as long as there isn't a new school popping every few years.
Exactly what I was thinking. However, with Lecom now who knows.

Exactly what I was thinking. However, with Lecom now who knows.
More students fighting for the same number of QUALITY residency programs.

More students shoehorned into programs that scramble every year.

2 years out from RGV graduating their first class, we'll be at another residency shortage of QUALITY programs.

There are now 2 bottlenecks. 1 at employment phase, 1 at QUALITY residency slot phase.

Do you understand the implications now? Look at long term downstream effects. Not at the short term.

We need empty spots.
-It will hopefully end/change/something some of the NY trash and VAs
-Give people some ability and freedom to transition/move between programs
-Perhaps actually make programs question themselves, why people aren't visiting, interviewing, ranking etc.
-And there will continue to be fluctuations in the number of graduates. I spend zero time tracking class size but variations in yearly graduates can make things appear feast or famine.

A world with 100% occupancy is a garbage situation. I thoroughly enjoyed looking at the match this year. Yes, the long term implications of programs not filling may be their closure but tough choices and not getting what you want can lead to good things. My program had a year where we went DEEP into our list and the hospital pulled a raise for residents out of it because we weren't competitive for future residents with families.

More students fighting for the same number of QUALITY residency programs.

More students shoehorned into programs that scramble every year.

2 years out from RGV graduating their first class, we'll be at another residency shortage of QUALITY programs.

There are now 2 bottlenecks. 1 at employment phase, 1 at QUALITY residency slot phase.

Do you understand the implications now? Look at long term downstream effects. Not at the short term.
That is literally the situation now. There are not enough quality residency programs and quality jobs to go around. Even if two more schools open the residency spots are what they are. As a result there will be more people not matching. The job market shouldn’t be saturated necessarily since the same amount of graduates will be entering.

Have there been any updates about this? Is the governing body of accrediting podiatry schools seriously going to allow this?

BLS updated their 10-year outlook to show 0% growth for podiatry. I am very certain that it showed about 4-5% growth for podiatry just a few months ago. What gives?

How will the school opening up in TX along with the 0% growth affect the ability of people to get jobs (even PP associate jobs) if they were to start school in either 2021 or 2022?