Welcome to The UTRGV School of Podiatric Medicine!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1138023

here are the faces who are trying to ruin our profession. why did no one stop this? why did we let the greed win? watch the video above. they are willing to accept pretty much anybody.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I ain't watching one hour of this crap.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
40:35.

"what qualities are we looking for?"
"we're looking for applicants to have the minimum requirements. everything else is just a bonus"

LOL

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know this has been in the works for decades, but why do we need more schools?

……must be because demand is so great that there are just too many 200K - 300K jobs with signing bonuses, relocation, loan repayment, etc going unfilled

Reactions: 1 users
40:35.

"what qualities are we looking for?"
"we're looking for applicants to have the minimum requirements. everything else is just a bonus"

LOL
I can't believe you watched that far :D

I hope they do well, but we all know that for some pod schools, "minimum reqs" = financial aid approved.

I can't believe you watched that far :D

I hope they do well, but we all know that for some pod schools, "minimum reqs" = financial aid approved.
I skimmed. I like to keep updated on what's going on.

looking forward to hiring these kids in 2030 for an inflation adjusted $80,000 salary,

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I just shake my head when I think about this.
Harkless needs to go. He is the worst thing to happen to our profession.
He has ruined many lives and continues to do so for personal financial gains.

Class of 2013/2014 will never forget the name Harkless. Its burned into our memories forever.

Reactions: 4 users
Lawrence Harkless has single handedly ruined podiatry multiple times. This new school will not create new residency positions to accommodate the graduating students. This new school will be the cheapest podiatry school in terms of tuition and because of this it will be the most competitive.

Applicant rates are down because the profession pays like crap for 7 years of education and residency training. Now we are creating a new school? Amazing work podiatry

• Hmm
(1) Do not go to this school.

(2) Seriously - look this school up on a map. Perhaps we can start another school on an island off the coast of Alaska.

(3) Seriously - look up the area. The other towns. The local resources. All of the other schools are in real cities.

(4) Look up the town this school is in and the word "Crime".

(5) Go live in Iowa, Arizona, Illinois, or Ohio for a few years. It will be fine. You will get to come home if you want to.

(6) This school literally just hired faculty. I'm not usually a fan of the sort of people who are faculty at podiatry schools, but I'm pretty skeptical the best and brightest are on their way down to live in oblivion. I bet their wives will be really happy. You'll have amazing educational experiences with your brand new faculty who have no relationships or patient base built yet and have never taught a class before. I'm sure the best and brightest left their established practices and towns where they are known to come live in Mexico.

(7) How about that awesome RGV residency? Oh wait. There isn't one. Established faculty? Well established and published program director? Nope. Somehow I suspect a future residency will be created here and it will focus on riding the pus bus.

(8) But but, instate tuition? Do not fall for that trap. I'm all about savings and debt, but your future career earnings and ability to practice in Texas in the future will be negatively affected if 50 new DPMs graduate each year and most want to come home. The whole point of this school and its application process is to try and snag Texans who otherwise wouldn't have applied.

(9) It isn't even in the same town or on the same campus as the medical school. All of the most recent schools are dual DPM+DO or whatever. I would bet you money that if I went back in time I could find Harkless praising the value of integrated education. Hell - Western is like one of the most integrated DPM schools there is but here we are taking a step backwards.

(10) Speaking of Harkless. Didn't he promise to create residency spots for ALL of his students back at Western? He didn't create any. This guy literally was a prime mover in one of the greatest catastrophes in this profession - the 2014 match. Have you heard him saying anything about creating residency spots? Do you know anything about the number of graduates and the number of spots? Does it seem amazing to anyone that a person can just be allowed to create a school without any contribution to ensuring future training opportunities? Old pods didn't understand 2014 because when they practiced you didn't have to have a residency. The rules have changed. Residency is required but here we go again pumping tuition paying students without a focus on creating hospitals that want to train them.

(11) If you help get this school of the ground you are literally cutting the legs out from under yourself. For my training- the number of spots essentially matched almost exactly 1:1 students to resident spots. That is BAD. That means people can't move between programs. It means awful programs get residents. In the last few years we've actually had real progress in a favorable direction for students. When spots outnumber students then garbage VAs and NY PMSRs don't fill. There are literally awful programs in NYC where 1/8 spots filled within the last 2 years because students didn't have to go there. Crap 4 year programs can't find a resident. This school is against the interests of all students. If you go here you are hurting yourself. And that's just for training. Its worse than that in your future. We already create too many DPMs. The world doesn't need that many podiatrists. No highly sought after profession with great pay and lifestyle achieved it by dumping graduates on the market. Dermatology and ED/radiation oncology in their heyday knew to control production. They kind of people who tons of new grads aren't the kind of people who have your interests at heart.

(12) But I'm sure you'll get a fine education! Soo, fun story. CPME mandates schools to publish their outcomes for board scores and graduation rates and what not. The year CPME mandated this Western still didn't have a lot of data because they were brand new. This meant they couldn't blend it in with other data through averaging which is what most schools do. The Western first year graduation rates and such were AWFUL. I can't produce them. I didn't save them and I'm sure its gone. But it was literally a PDF chock full of footnotes and excuses trying to explain what went wrong. It was as bad as when Ohio used to publish their 5 years graduation rates. Being the first class anywhere is being a guinea pig. I started this post a week ago and RGV didn't have a curriculum posted when I did. Hell, the tuition wasn't even posted.

(13) The state of Texas NEEDs a podiatry school! Bullcrap. People have been trying to create a school in the state of Texas for -decades-. Not kidding. I know old pods. They were trying to start a school in San Antonio forever ago. It didn't happen. There are all manner of enormous cities with lots of podiatrists, hospitals, and experiences. So why are we starting a school on the border? Because no one wanted it. This school is going to be here because its the only place they could go and they took it. Its straight desperation. You don't have to be a part of their desperation.

(14) But I'm going to help people! You can help people anywhere. If you want to help the unfortunate - accept Medicaid when you are in your own practice. I'm not trying to say that unkindly. In MANY towns - no one will accept Medicaid. Keep in mind that for all the high minded talk many hospitals will discharge a patient without insurance / non-citizen the second they are "stable". You'll best help people by getting a great education and training, elsewhere.

We don't need another school. Let this one burn. Yes, most of the other schools somewhat suck. But they are established. They've done this already. They have alumni. They know people. In fact, most of them are already accepting too many students. Go elsewhere. If you want to live down here when you are done - good for you.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I skimmed. I like to keep updated on what's going on.

looking forward to hiring these kids in 2030 for an inflation adjusted $80,000 salary,
You are going to adjust for inflation?

• Haha
this school feels like the podiatry version of a Caribbean medical school

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Well that is only 2 years abroad.....then most rotate back in the United States. This is 4 years in what some would say is not really 1st world country living.

In some ways I get it......Harkless and other older pods have been trying to get a pod school for decades in Texas. California, Florida, Illinois, New York etc have a school so why not Texas?

If tuition is lower for in state students that is a good thing.

On the other hand why start a new school when there is not a need. Because there being a need was not the primary objective, it was just about getting it done and to an extent benefiting those involved financially or politically in some way. I am sure there is a good chance they can find enough students to make it economically viable.....wether it is taking from other schools or drawing in more students from Texas and surrounding states.....realistically a bit of both.

Building a school in this location does not necessarily lower the profession, but it certainly does not elevate the profession either. If there was a need and the school was UT at Austin etc it would certainly elevate the profession and easily be the top school.

Speaking of Caribbean medical school. The top 25 percent of podiatry school students would have no problem passing boards to become an MD. As per Caribbean medical schools, no one I personally know had any problem passing boards, getting a good residency or getting a good job in a good location. Most, but not all are in primary care. Those that did primary care, most got great residencies in great cities. Some Caribbean medical schools will take about anyone, so you need to be honest with yourself if you will study hard enough and are good enough at standardized tests before you choose this option.

Last edited:
  • Haha
It is... but with lower tuition than the rest (not 2x like Caribb MD places).
Most all pod schools will have the flunk-out rate of Caribb, though.

I think UT Rio will do well.... I agree with CutsWith in that they will quickly become the most competitive due to much lower debt to get a same DPM as the other 8 schools...
One can always study in a library at any pod school. Internet is same everywhere. Boards books and journals and texts are the same anywhere.
Their clinics will probably be poor and slow as most schools (newer ones, but even some established one) are.
One can always jump over to Reynosa for a wild party or to find "company"... even Juarez for a weekend vaca.
You can find a decent mentor or two nearly anywhere if you keep your eyes open... if not, read up, find one at the next level (residency).

It's a shame that it'll create a residency shortage or trouble, keep weak programs going, etc. It will dilute the pool of good students at higher quality pod schools. It is not needed. That said, it is happening... so I hope they do well. I really hope they can start at least a couple of decent area residencies as Temple, OCPM, Barry, etc did (low chance in rural UT Rio area that a program would even be as good as an avg VA program with DM and little else). We shall see.

Lawrence Harkless has single handedly ruined podiatry multiple times. This new school will not create new residency positions to accommodate the graduating students. This new school will be the cheapest podiatry school in terms of tuition and because of this it will be the most competitive.

Applicant rates are down because the profession pays like crap for 7 years of education and residency training. Now we are creating a new school? Amazing work podiatry

It's even worse than that because even if there were enough residencies to accommodate the graduates, the job market simply cannot sustain an extra 40-50 new graduates a year. The return on investment on average for this degree is already abysmal for most people.

This profession will no longer be financially viable in the near future. Just because a small number of people wanted to make an easy buck.

Reactions: 3 users
I just saw Lafontaine announced as the dean.

Between this and the post from the pod that is 6 years out working 70,000 hrs a week + nursing homes / nails / calls and making $100K before taxes, is exhausting to swallow right before boards next week +pissed+

Between this and the post from the pod that is 6 years out working 70,000 hrs a week + nursing homes / nails / calls and making $100K before taxes, is exhausting to swallow right before boards next week +pissed+
Just remember although podiatry is a real hard sell to prospective students if we are being honest with them, you are already in it and still control your own destiny. Work hard, make connections and remain geographically open. If all else fails take a mediocre job for 3 or 4 years where you can get cases, become board certified and get a better job or open your own practice.

Just remember although podiatry is a real hard sell to prospective students if we are being honest with them, you are already in it and still control your own destiny. Work hard, make connections and remain geographically open. If all else fails take a mediocre job for 3 or 4 years where you can get cases, become board certified and get a better job or open your own practice.

Making connections early on is your biggest advantage. It takes work and effort but it’ll be well worth your time.

We should be posting on pre-pod forum all the stories of the $100k salaries and actively discouraging as many people as possible from going into podiatry. This whole, job growth/podiatry need stuff is crap. We don’t need 20,000 podiatrists in this country. There are like 25,000 orthopedic surgeons in the country. And 100% of people will need some sort of orthopedic care. A lot of folks can go their whole life with never NEEDING a podiatrist. There’s no shortage and the surplus of podiatrists drives down wages.

I just saw Lafontaine announced as the dean.
Seriously? Why in the world would you leave UT Southwestern and the DFW metro to be the Dean of a new podiatry school in rural south Texas aka Mexico?

We should be posting on pre-pod forum all the stories of the $100k salaries and actively discouraging as many people as possible from going into podiatry. This whole, job growth/podiatry need stuff is crap. We don’t need 20,000 podiatrists in this country. There are like 25,000 orthopedic surgeons in the country. And 100% of people will need some sort of orthopedic care. A lot of folks can go their whole life with never NEEDING a podiatrist. There’s no shortage and the surplus of podiatrists drives down wages.

Seriously? Why in the world would you leave UT Southwestern and the DFW metro to be the Dean of a new podiatry school in rural south Texas aka Mexico?
2B5EC1B5-A67A-41F2-84F4-6AA8351D45ED.jpeg

Well that is only 2 years abroad.....then most rotate back in the United States. This is 4 years in what some would say is not really 1st world country living.

In some ways I get it......Harkless and other older pods have been trying to get a pod school for decades in Texas. California, Florida, Illinois, New York etc have a school so why not Texas?

If tuition is lower for in state students that is a good thing.

On the other hand why start a new school when there is not a need. Because there being a need was not the primary objective, it was just about getting it done and to an extent benefiting those involved financially or politically in some way. I am sure there is a good chance they can find enough students to make it economically viable.....wether it is taking from other schools or drawing in more students from Texas and surrounding states.....realistically a bit of both.

Building a school in this location does not necessarily lower the profession, but it certainly does not elevate the profession either. If there was a need and the school was UT at Austin etc it would certainly elevate the profession and easily be the top school.

Speaking of Caribbean medical school. The top 25 percent of podiatry school students would have no problem passing boards to become an MD. As per Caribbean medical schools, no one I personally know had any problem passing boards, getting a good residency or getting a good job in a good location. Most, but not all are in primary care. Those that did primary care, most got great residencies in great cities. Some Caribbean medical schools will take about anyone, so you need to be honest with yourself if you will study hard enough and are good enough at standardized tests before you choose this option.
So why not Texas? - because there is no demand. There are no quality residency slots to fill another 40 graduates every year. A Texas school is a money grab used for politics at the expense of current students and graduates. Why not Texas? Why not Alaska?- because there is absolutely zero demand.

If tuition is lower for in state students that is a good thing- at the expense of what? Another residency shortage? Do you want podiatry to go the same way pharmacy is headed?

Of course they are going to find enough students to make it economically viable for themselves. You market podiatry as a guaranteed surgical specialty to a state like Texas with tons of Bio degree holders who couldn't get into MD or DO- it will blow up. But this only benefits the people holding the money bags. Again- there is nothing in your post looking at the big picture. We do NOT have enough quality residency slots. We do NOT have the demand in the US to support another influx of 40 more graduates on top of the 500+ we are ALREADY graduating.

If there was a a need- again- there is ZERO need right now. ZERO. It took years for the 2014 shortage to self balance.

I don't understand how people can come on this forum and blatantly lie about this school being a good thing for this profession and NOT mention the FUTURE effects it will have on the 500-600 graduates every year. How can you tell me straight-faced that this is neutral or even good for our profession?? It makes NO SENSE.

Edit: This was pretty rude of me and now i sound off my rocker. I will apologize for my language, but I will not apologize for thinking it is insane how people can shamelessly tout this as a net positive for the profession without thinking of the hundreds of 4th years who will not match and the hundreds of poorly trained DPMs we are flooding into the profession.

Last edited:
So why not Texas? - because there is no demand. There are no quality residency slots to fill another 40 graduates every year. A Texas school is a money grab used for politics at the expense of current students and graduates. Why not Texas? Why not Alaska?- because there is absolutely zero demand.

If tuition is lower for in state students that is a good thing- at the expense of what? Another residency shortage? Do you want podiatry to go the same way pharmacy is headed?

Of course they are going to find enough students to make it economically viable for themselves. You market podiatry as a guaranteed surgical specialty to a state like Texas with tons of Bio degree holders who couldn't get into MD or DO- it will blow up. But this only benefits the people holding the money bags. Again- there is nothing in your post looking at the big picture. We do NOT have enough quality residency slots. We do NOT have the demand in the US to support another influx of 40 more graduates on top of the 500+ we are ALREADY graduating.

If there was a a need- again- there is ZERO need right now. ZERO. It took years for the 2014 shortage to self balance.

I don't understand how people can come on this forum and blatantly lie about this school being a good thing for this profession and NOT mention the FUTURE effects it will have on the 500-600 graduates every year. How can you tell me straight-faced that this is neutral or even good for our profession?? It makes NO SENSE.

Edit: This was pretty rude of me and now i sound off my rocker. I will apologize for my language, but I will not apologize for thinking it is insane how people can shamelessly tout this as a net positive for the profession without thinking of the hundreds of 4th years who will not match and the hundreds of poorly trained DPMs we are flooding into the profession.

Don’t apologize. This is the dumbest thing ever and it’s the most podiatry thing I have ever seen therefore dumb = podiatry.

I actually agree with you…….discussing people who started this/wanted it started this point of view. Has been in the works for decades, but agree there is no demand (maybe for this school, but not in the profession). It is probably
largely a power and money grab at this point.

There was supposed to be the need for so many podiatrists per the schools due to the aging boomers, diabetes etc that there would be a great shortage. It never happened. It happened for MDs, DOs, RNs, CRNAs, NPs, but not DPMs.

Although some residences may not be good, all students currently get them and they are much more than 1 year in length now. Good in someways, but when the job market does not reward the time/money, what is the point?

I don’t expect you to read my other posts, but my message like many on here has consistently been the profession is hard to recommend and has a lack of demand.

Last edited:
Don’t apologize. This is the dumbest thing ever and it’s the most podiatry thing I have ever seen therefore dumb = podiatry.
Not personally saying why not Texas. It is stupid when there is not enough legitimate demand. I am saying there has been a group of podiatrists in Texas that have felt this way for decades and have been trying to start a school there.

Many of the residency Almuni from the 70s and early 80s in San Antonio really wanted a school in Texas. Obviously Harkless probably benefits the most from that group.

Last edited:
I bet the tacos there are fire.

with the new school other schools should be forced to limit enrollment. is anyone acting on this at all? probably not. let's solve this issue before it's too late.

with the new school other schools should be forced to limit enrollment. is anyone acting on this at all? probably not. let's solve this issue before it's too late.
As long as there are enough residencies the schools have no incentive to reduce enrollment voluntarily.

If there become a residency crisis/shortage again they might have some potential liability now that you can not even practice anymore without a residency.

As long as there are enough residencies the schools have no incentive to reduce enrollment voluntarily.

If there become a residency crisis/shortage again they might have some potential liability now that you can not even practice anymore without a residency.
there's not a residency shortage because somehow these ****ty VA and NY programs still exist even after no one goes there.

there's not a residency shortage because somehow these ****ty VA and NY programs still exist even after no one goes there.
Maybe so, but to the schools that part does matter. Unless there are students not getting residencies, the schools collectively do not have to decrease enrollment.

Imagine 7 years and 200k in debt only to walk out with a 120k job and you have to bend over backwards to get any level of respect in medical community. Why would we put more people through this? I know people with 100k salary out of undergrad these days. Atleast when an MD gets abused they get 180k full benefits 7 on 7 off. When pods get abused we’re running nursing homes breaking our backs and still getting 30% with a 100k base 50+hrs a week no benefits. No wonder most pods keep to them selves about “salary”. Most are probably embarrassed.

For reference ortho matched 750 residents this year. For ALL of ortho. But somehow we need 600 foot ankle docs every year? Gtfo

Maybe so, but to the schools that part does matter. Unless there are students not getting residencies, the schools collectively do not have to decrease enrollment.
you need to go back and read threads around 2013 and 2014. I lived it. Crazy times bro.

• Wow
Imagine 7 years and 200k in debt only to walk out with a 120k job and you have to bend over backwards to get any level of respect in medical community. Why would we put more people through this? I know people with 100k salary out of undergrad these days. Atleast when an MD gets abused they get 180k full benefits 7 on 7 off. When pods get abused we’re running nursing homes breaking our backs and still getting 30% with a 100k base 50+hrs a week no benefits. No wonder most pods keep to them selves about “salary”. Most are probably embarrassed.

For reference ortho matched 750 residents this year. For ALL of ortho. But somehow we need 600 foot ankle docs every year? Gtfo

I’m sure we all remember a recent published article by a very recent fellowship trained podiatrist talking about “financial implications” of doing a fellowship versus not. Guess we need to create at least 600 fellowships so everyone can catch up to that salary level.

A current student asked me about the future outlook of jobs, wasn’t sure if I wanted to lie or tell the truth.

This is true and sad. Maybe we go the way of dentists? Drop all insurances nationwide and charge cash for all things foot and ankle? I don't know how long gen surg, vasc, ortho would want to deal with losing us - most say we are replaceable, but then never want to do wound care or see any of their post ops lol
I’m sure we all remember a recent published article by a very recent fellowship trained podiatrist talking about “financial implications” of doing a fellowship versus not. Guess we need to create at least 600 fellowships so everyone can catch up to that salary level.

A current student asked me about the future outlook of jobs, wasn’t sure if I wanted to lie or tell the truth.
Tell the truth. Save them the heart break. We can make decent money in this field but the ROI for us is -100% in the red. High debt to income, years lost for training, no respect in medical community, terrible life quality for the most part. If I knew the harassment/bullying that I would face in residency for 3 years, I would have just gone to trade school and made more money in less time. All my friends own homes, have nice cars, married with kids that are around 5. Now I gotta buy crypto and cross my fingers lol
Mustache pods licking their lips on who they can exploit their way to retirement
Upon residency graduation, I was awarded an honorary mustache. In about 5 years, I'll be mustache certified to reap in the rewards of hiring recent Texas grads to work for me sub 100k o_O it's okay though, I'll give them a nice $3000 CME allowance..

you need to go back and read threads around 2013 and 2014. I lived it. Crazy times bro.
I completed a continuous 3 year residency when there were not even enough 1 year residencies for all students. You were also competing against former students and residents that were reapplying. Many went unmatched initially and then most of those would do the bad 1 year RPR residencies in NY etc. Some did not even get those after the scramble. Those RPR residencies had no path for either podiatry board certification.

Some current 1 year non surgical residents, some former 1 year non surgical residents along with some unmatched former students with no residency would reapply the next cycle for 1-3 years of surgical training. Most would eventually get at least a year of surgical training even if it was after a previous 1 year non surgical residency or a year or two off after podiatry school working a non podiatry job (not sure if any states even allowed podiatrists without a residency back then.....how is that for a useless degree). There were a suprising number of “4 year“ residency trained podiatrists through combined piecemeal residencies, not the badge of honor 4 year surgical residencies, of which there were only a couple.

Some surgical residencies were funded by particular schools and paid dirt and only open to students of those schools. I know some that did unfunded residencies .....as in paid $0 (not that common but existed). Poor students would kiss up to attendings due to supply and demand and buy them donuts, CDs etc in the hopes it increased their chances of matching. Some residencies that offered 3 years of training had more first years slots that second year slots and less third year slots than second year slots also. Sometimes the 3 year residents in those type programs were chosen on the front end and sometimes you competed along the way for the longer training.

This is podiatry......most have either been through some $&&@! or seen their friends go through it.

Last edited:

I bet you that there is no MD working 7 on and 7 off making less than 250k

Yup......know locums working 8 days per month in ER and Hospitalists that live outside the US and fly back to do 30 on and then take 30 off making that.

Tell the truth. Save them the heart break. We can make decent money in this field but the ROI for us is -100% in the red. High debt to income, years lost for training, no respect in medical community, terrible life quality for the most part. If I knew the harassment/bullying that I would face in residency for 3 years, I would have just gone to trade school and made more money in less time. All my friends own homes, have nice cars, married with kids that are around 5. Now I gotta buy crypto and cross my fingers lol
I disagree with your outlook. Podiatry does have good paying jobs and most of the posters here make good money.

Yes, many get stuck with crap jobs. Thats unfortunate and the absolute last thing we need is more students being produced to further dilute the applicant pool and ultimately job market post graduation. Were already saturated

That said, We've been through this over and over on these forums. Push comes to shove almost every regular poster here is pulling in >200k and some of us are pulling in >400k.

ER doctors respect podiatry as do hospitalists and family med providers. Its really only our competitors that harass the profession.

Reactions: 5 users
I disagree with your outlook. Podiatry does have good paying jobs and most of the posters here make good money.

Yes, many get stuck with crap jobs. Thats unfortunate and the absolute last thing we need is more students being produced to further dilute the applicant pool and ultimately job market post graduation. Were already saturated

That said, We've been through this over and over on these forums. Push comes to shove almost every regular poster here is pulling in >200k and some of us are pulling in >400k.

ER doctors respect podiatry as do hospitalists and family med providers. Its really only our competitors that harass the profession.

This. Likely grossing over 400k this year not including the swanky comps and benefits without doing a fellowship. Same for you and the other regular posters. Again - you’re better off learning for a year or two as an associate and then using that to branch off as you see fit than slaving a year as a fellow with minimal to no guarantee. It’s shocking to see what they make these fellows do when they’re not in the OR - weekend nail jail time, clinic days of 20+ post op patients, non stop hospital consults and rounding. Of course they won’t tell you this :)

This. Likely grossing over 400k this year not including the swanky comps and benefits without doing a fellowship. Same for you and the other regular posters. Again - you’re better off learning for a year or two as an associate and then using that to branch off as you see fit than slaving a year as a fellow with minimal to no guarantee. It’s shocking to see what they make these fellows do when they’re not in the OR - weekend nail jail time, clinic days of 20+ post op patients, non stop hospital consults and rounding. Of course they won’t tell you this :)

Unfortunately, I think a majority of new grads are in the 100-130k range + bonus. I'd love if other new grads would chime in. We had a post here recently about a pod 6 years out and still making sub-150k. These posts are definitely more common than not. Compare that to our IM, FM, any other specialty or even NP/PA salary. For most who join PP, hours are longer, we take ER call, we work weekends, cover 3 clinics. We have a lot more patient responsibility. We have just as much student loan debt. Anecdotal of course, but none of the aforementioned resident friends of mine in other specialties got paid less than 180k graduating. I can name at least 20 of my pod colleagues graduating getting sub 130k. Or the handful of them that said they "signed an NDA so they can't discuss" - which for me translates to, it's the best I got so it be what it be.

Yes, there are those who make 300k+. But the underlying theme here for you and me is that we networked and worked hard for those jobs. It isn't like 200k jobs are handed out on silver platters post graduation. I can't justify this field to any student when there are NP's and PA's making more with far less hours, stress, and years studied. The ROI isn't there for it, unless of course you are one of the few like yourselves who land a great job.

And before I hear the argument "move somewhere outside of the city. Go rural and you'll make BANK". This doesn't particularly apply as hard for other specialties, especially RN/NP/PA's. I shouldn't have to move to the Dakota's for a 200k+ job and escape a 120k offer from CA, NY, FL. But this is podiatry, and that's just the climate of job offers these days. One bright side is our ceiling is higher, so we should make a considerable amount more money later on in our career. TBD for me. I am just super thankful for the position I negotiated.

** Forgot to mention: Not one place I interviewed cared about if I was fellowship trained. I agree with Waka - you can go farther without a year of time/revenue lost.

A Locums hospitalist that covers our hospital while a new staffing company gets some permanent folks in place, set his rate at $300 /hr, which he gets. He had worked almost every day from January to March and had grossed $300k and was not planning on working for the rest of the year unless he needed more money.

Outside of maybe some pediatricians, or part time workers, there is not a single MD/DO making less than $200k. And realistically they all have the option to make over $250k. Even family medicine. They would laugh at $180k and that would be considered top 5% pay for a podiatry group associate.

Unfortunately, I think a majority of new grads are in the 100-130k range + bonus. I'd love if other new grads would chime in. We had a post here recently about a pod 6 years out and still making sub-150k. These posts are definitely more common than not. Compare that to our IM, FM, any other specialty or even NP/PA salary. For most who join PP, hours are longer, we take ER call, we work weekends, cover 3 clinics. We have a lot more patient responsibility. We have just as much student loan debt. Anecdotal of course, but none of the aforementioned resident friends of mine in other specialties got paid less than 180k graduating. I can name at least 20 of my pod colleagues graduating getting sub 130k. Or the handful of them that said they "signed an NDA so they can't discuss" - which for me translates to, it's the best I got so it be what it be.

Yes, there are those who make 300k+. But the underlying theme here for you and me is that we networked and worked hard for those jobs. It isn't like 200k jobs are handed out on silver platters post graduation. I can't justify this field to any student when there are NP's and PA's making more with far less hours, stress, and years studied. The ROI isn't there for it, unless of course you are one of the few like yourselves who land a great job.

And before I hear the argument "move somewhere outside of the city. Go rural and you'll make BANK". This doesn't particularly apply as hard for other specialties, especially RN/NP/PA's. I shouldn't have to move to the Dakota's for a 200k+ job and escape a 120k offer from CA, NY, FL. But this is podiatry, and that's just the climate of job offers these days. One bright side is our ceiling is higher, so we should make a considerable amount more money later on in our career. TBD for me. I am just super thankful for the position I negotiated.

** Forgot to mention: Not one place I interviewed cared about if I was fellowship trained. I agree with Waka - you can go farther without a year of time/revenue lost.
Like I said weve discussed this in extreme detail in many threads and not going to go back down that rabbit hole.

Salary discussions easily searchable for anyone reading that wants to read more.

Good jobs are there. We (posters) mostly all have good jobs. Its not easy to get one but not impossible either.

Back to bashing texas school.....

Back to my point: why is no one stopping this school from happening? Why are we trying to saturate this field to pharmacist level?

Back to my point: why is no one stopping this school from happening? Why are we trying to saturate this field to pharmacist levell
.....because there is no stopping it at this point maybe?

Unless there is a residency shortage nothing will be done.

The schools can just highlight a nice average salary statistic and act like the demand is great for podiatry and show lots of surgical pics on the websites.

The only way numbers go down is if less apply. We try to be honest on here, if the potential applicants read this site and want to apply, it is their choice.

Back to my point: why is no one stopping this school from happening? Why are we trying to saturate this field to pharmacist level?

The people approving the school have no skin in the game. There is no incentive for them to do what’s best for the profession or for the average working podiatrist.