Need some help with a tough decision. TCMC merit scholarship vs waiting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silence in ER

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So hi SDN,

I just need a little bit of help with a tough decision and I would appreciate any input.
TCMC just offered me a 100K scholarship ( 25k a year) but I need to accept it by the beginning of March.
However, I really love some other schools, like Temple and Cooper Rowan and I was planning to wait and see whether they would offer me any money.
What can I do?
Should I just take the money no questions asked?
Is there any way to delay?

I also need to mention that I have about 160K of undergrad debt, and three other siblings, 2 of whom will be going to college in the next 3 years, so this money would be life changing for me.

SDN, what should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Based on your situation, I think the smart choice here is to take it

A bird in the hand

Reactions: 3 users
A friend of mine ( 7 years ago lol) had a similar situation . She called the other medical school and explained to them the situation , they matched the offer. I don't know if they still do this, but what do you have to lose by asking?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1st, congrats! That is a scary amount of undergrad debt and I'm glad that this scholarship came through for you

2nd, I would definitely reach out to the other schools and ask if they could match. If not, take the money and run

If i take the scholarship, must I attend TCmc? It's a pretty stupid question, but I am wondering. Can one hold multiple scholarship offers?

If i take the scholarship, must I attend TCmc? It's a pretty stupid question, but I am wondering. Can one hold multiple scholarship offers?
Read the terms carefully. Accepting the scholarship might make it a binding agreement to attending TCMC. Or it could just be that you forfeit your right to your deposit. Or there could be no penalty.

Reactions: 1 users
The director of admissions at a school i interviewed at mentioned that a school can offer a scholarship and the student can accept and it still doesn't bind you to that school. At the end of the day the school you end up attending will give you out a loan. All the other schools you put on your fafsa won't take out loans in your name. Call the other schools explain to them your situation and see if they can match.

Thank you so much for the help everyone. I'm going to find out if accepting the scholarship is binding to tcmc.

Reactions: 1 user
First off, congrats on your scholarship offer. As someone who also has a lot of undergrad debt, I would take that offer. Unless one of the other schools matches it, I'd go with TCMC

Thank you so much for the help everyone. I'm going to find out if accepting the scholarship is binding to tcmc.
They cannot turn the acceptance of a scholarship into a commitment to attend.
Clarify this with the school and contact the AAMC if there is still confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
So hi SDN,

I just need a little bit of help with a tough decision and I would appreciate any input.
TCMC just offered me a 100K scholarship ( 25k a year) but I need to accept it by the beginning of March.
However, I really love some other schools, like Temple and Cooper Rowan and I was planning to wait and see whether they would offer me any money.
What can I do?
Should I just take the money no questions asked?
Is there any way to delay?

I also need to mention that I have about 160K of undergrad debt, and three other siblings, 2 of whom will be going to college in the next 3 years, so this money would be life changing for me.

SDN, what should I do?
Just curious if you decided to take the scholarship?