MUO Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
EMPOWERurSELF! said:
You can probably count on spending about $20-25 a month on electricity a month, $12 for basic cable (obviously more for a better package), $20-30 a month for high speed internet, and all of the places that I know of have had the water and trash already paid for.

Go for the more expensive place that pays your heat!!!! The peace of mind you will get when you don't have to worry about the bill or keeping your place cold to cut costs when you are out of the house IS WORTH THE MONEY. (Trust me on this. Empower had to employ the "55 to stay alive" temperature control system for a while this winter after I had one bad heating bill).

We are ridiculously lucky to be going to school in a city that is so inexpensive and easy to get around in!

Empower

Thanks for your help. If you don't mind me asking, how high did the "bad" heating bill run you, and what was a "good" one? Regardless, I agree that we're pretty lucky to be going to school in a city that's relatively cheap to live in compared to some other places!

Members don't see this ad.

reedgw said:
To all current and future UTCOMers who might have an idea...

How much can I expect to pay in utilities every month? I know this is variable based on the size of the apt, month of the year, but if you've lived in Toledo before or are about to I'd appreciate your input. I'm wondering because I'm looking at a couple of 2 bedroom apts (1000 sq feet each), one with utilities paid and the other without (the one without is $60/mo cheaper). Either way I'll have to pay electric, internet, and cable, so how much do trash, water, and (most importantly) gas run a month?

Good luck to everyone looking for a place to live in Toledo. There are some really nice places for really reasonable prices, all pretty close to the school.

Greetings Grant and everyone else apartment hunting!

I went to look for apartments on Saturday...and honestly was more discouraged about finding a place than anything else. Where were you looking? I checked out a few places off of Heatherdowns (Heather Hills, Heathbriar, Vantage Villas) and some others in the Maumee area (Valley Stream Village, The Hamlet at Maumee, Brandywine Estates, The Chesterfield) and drove to Williamsburg and The Ridge at Tiburon in S. Toledo areas...with the exception of the more pricey places- ~550+ per month for a single bedroom (really hoping I can find a roomate to cut the cost!), the rest seemed really old (built in the 70's) and smelly! Please tell me this is not the norm! It would be reasonable to get a place for ~$750-1000 for me, if I had a roomate to split with. Anyone know any good places for 1 bedroom apartments that are in safer areas and somewhat newer (less than 550...)? I don't mind being ~10-15 minutes away from campus...

Also I was told to stay away from more North areas as UT students typically live there...aka it would be rowdy and not really conducive to the med student life...according to a realtor I spoke with. Any thoughts on that?

Any help/ advice on this would be much appreciated! I'll probably be in Toledo again to check out the Williamsburg and The Ridge as well as some other places...good luck to everyone still hunting.

Everyone has been great about answering my questions... but I have another one.

Can anyone shed some light about what Convocation and the White Coat Ceremony at MUO are like? I know some schools make a big deal out of White Coat, and some just go through the motions. I hear both are Friday morning, which makes it really tough for my parents to come (gotta take off work and drive a few hours early in the morning or get a hotel). Should I be excited about it and tell my parents to come? I'm really hoping it's something special. Thanks again! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
reedgw said:
Everyone has been great about answering my questions... but I have another one.

Can anyone shed some light about what Convocation and the White Coat Ceremony at MUO are like? I know some schools make a big deal out of White Coat, and some just go through the motions. I hear both are Friday morning, which makes it really tough for my parents to come (gotta take off work and drive a few hours early in the morning or get a hotel). Should I be excited about it and tell my parents to come? I'm really hoping it's something special. Thanks again! :D

When I had my white coat ceremony there a few years back, I remember it was in the early afternoon and they seemed to make a reasonably big deal out it. All the 1st years were there to get the white coats and they called our names and we had to go up in front of everyone and get it and put it on. So my parents came and took pics. Then they announced the AOA inductees also I believe. After everything was through we took one of the oaths. So I was impressed and thought they made it special considering the occasion (and the fact that you wear it 1-2x before 3rd year). Hope that helps!

I'm guessing BlondieMD=Lydia? Looking forward to seeing you and everyone else from Miami...and meeting the rest of you!! Not too much longer!

I know exactly how you're feeling right now about the apartment options! Casey and I felt the same way after our first apartment hunt! However, we found a brand new place that we absolutely love in Perrysburg called Arbors of Perrysburg. It's a little further than most places (11.5 miles, 15 min). All the apartments are 2 bedroom, have garages, patios, very large kitchens, and 2 bathrooms. They also seem huge (comparatively speaking) @ 1300 sq. ft. The best part is we didn't have to move into someone else's filth! Rent is $750-900 (depending on garage size and whether you get an end unit).

Let me know if you have any questions or want to visit or see pics.

Another place we liked that is slightly closer is Sylvan Lakes in Sylvania.

I believe both apartments are on apartments.com.

Best of luck to you and everyone else looking for apartments!

BlondieMD said:
Greetings Grant and everyone else apartment hunting!

I went to look for apartments on Saturday...and honestly was more discouraged about finding a place than anything else. Where were you looking? I checked out a few places off of Heatherdowns (Heather Hills, Heathbriar, Vantage Villas) and some others in the Maumee area (Valley Stream Village, The Hamlet at Maumee, Brandywine Estates, The Chesterfield) and drove to Williamsburg and The Ridge at Tiburon in S. Toledo areas...with the exception of the more pricey places- ~550+ per month for a single bedroom (really hoping I can find a roomate to cut the cost!), the rest seemed really old (built in the 70's) and smelly! Please tell me this is not the norm! It would be reasonable to get a place for ~$750-1000 for me, if I had a roomate to split with. Anyone know any good places for 1 bedroom apartments that are in safer areas and somewhat newer (less than 550...)? I don't mind being ~10-15 minutes away from campus...

Also I was told to stay away from more North areas as UT students typically live there...aka it would be rowdy and not really conducive to the med student life...according to a realtor I spoke with. Any thoughts on that?

Any help/ advice on this would be much appreciated! I'll probably be in Toledo again to check out the Williamsburg and The Ridge as well as some other places...good luck to everyone still hunting.

So, Travis, you found me out! Haha

Thank you to everyone who responded about the apartment situation...I definately think I will be headed in a better direction next time I am out in Toledo!

tnick12 said:
I know exactly how you're feeling right now about the apartment options! Casey and I felt the same way after our first apartment hunt! However, we found a brand new place that we absolutely love in Perrysburg called Arbors of Perrysburg. It's a little further than most places (11.5 miles, 15 min). All the apartments are 2 bedroom, have garages, patios, very large kitchens, and 2 bathrooms. They also seem huge (comparatively speaking) @ 1300 sq. ft. The best part is we didn't have to move into someone else's filth! Rent is $750-900 (depending on garage size and whether you get an end unit).

Best of luck to you and everyone else looking for apartments!

I've been out of the country for 2 months, and now I am fully unprepared to move to Ohio! My sister lives in Perrysburg, so I think it might be nice to live out there even if it is a bit farther. I am bring my little cocker spaniel with me, do the Arbors allow pets? Do apartments fill up quickly? Because I was just planning at crashing at my sisters place when I drive out there in August until I find a place.

thefafo said:
I've been out of the country for 2 months, and now I am fully unprepared to move to Ohio! My sister lives in Perrysburg, so I think it might be nice to live out there even if it is a bit farther. I am bring my little cocker spaniel with me, do the Arbors allow pets? Do apartments fill up quickly? Because I was just planning at crashing at my sisters place when I drive out there in August until I find a place.

I have heard from several people that apartments (esp. 1 bedrooms) have a tendancy to fill up rather quickly. When I went apartment hunting last weekend in Toledo, there were not too many 1 bedroom apartments available...more 2 bedroom (which gets pretty pricey if you don't have a roomate!). I have also heard there are waitlists for the more popular places, like Country Club for instance. I should be in Toledo next week to check more out, and will probably call a few places today...so I'll let you know!

Good luck...and look at the brightside thefafo--at least you have a place to crash! :p I'm still working on it!

thefafo said:

Yes, the Arbors of Perrysburg allows pets (including dogs). As far as I know, there are plenty of units available. There are still many units that are expected to be completed within the next two months.

For those of you on the waitlist: I don't know how the movement is this year, but there is at least one person in the class of 2009 that was accepted in august, so there's still hope. If you want to optimize your chances, i would write a letter to Dr. Kleshinski telling him how much you want to go into medicine and why you think UTCOM is the place for you. If you are in the area, you could even ask to set up a meeting with him - he's very approachable.
good luck everyone!

hi all,

just wondering what the typical exam schedule is like at UT-COM? Obviously, it may vary and whatnot. i was just unsure if there was some "standard procedure" to test on fridays, or mondays, or ...?

donmedi said:
hi all,

just wondering what the typical exam schedule is like at UT-COM? Obviously, it may vary and whatnot. i was just unsure if there was some "standard procedure" to test on fridays, or mondays, or ...?

The exam schedules vary slightly by block. During block 1, cell and molecular biology, the exams are given on Mondays. There are 3 unit exams, and one comprehensive final. During block 2, human growth and development, the exams are on Fridays. The written is given in the morning, and the practical is given in two sessions in the afternoon. There are 3 exams in that block. There are also a couple quizzes given during anatomy. Block 3 has one midterm and one final for behavioral and neuro. If I remember right, the midterms were given on a Monday and Tuesday, and the finals on Thursday and Friday. There is also a Neuro lab practical that is given in the middle of one week (but it isn't a big deal).

Exams (except anatomy practicals) are given in the morning. They start at different times depending on the length of the test, although it is usually around 9 o'clock. They never go past noon. For the exams given at the end of the week, the class load that week is much less. The two days right before the exam are study days with no class at all, except for maybe some optional review sessions. Obviously for the Monday exams Saturday and Sunday are your study days. There are exams for fundamentals of clinical practice, but I don't remember when those were given exactly, and the exams for the probelm based learning (PBL) are on-line take-home ones.

Hope this clears it up for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless they break with tradition look for your first exam to be Tuesday, September 5. That's two weeks of material (they start you off easy), and will follow Labor Day on that Monday. From then on the exams for block I cover 3 or 4 weeks of material. Block II first exam covers 6 weeks' material with tests 2 and 3 covering 4 weeks' material. Block III has two four-week exams for Neuro and two four-week exams for behavioral.

Don't travel on that Labor Day weekend. This is the easiest test of the year, and as such it allows you to do very well. Don't do like a lot of people and blow it off. Knock this one out and you won't be playing catch-up the rest of the block.

Hello everyone! Just got back from the warzone. Saw a couple of rockets during the last week, but thankfully made it home ok (though the trip took 44 hours from my house there to our house here, blah). I'll be moving up on August 5th most likely, looking forward to meeting everyone. Nowhere near ready for academic mode yet, so I will get there somehow. If anyone will be there at that point and feels like hanging out, I'm game. Maybe watch some Family Guy episodes on my projector (common activity of mine during undergrad, movies and certain tv shows). I love epics :) Alrighty well I'll be back on here more often now so looking forward to being back. Peace.

sfbear said:
For those of you on the waitlist: I don't know how the movement is this year, but there is at least one person in the class of 2009 that was accepted in august, so there's still hope. If you want to optimize your chances, i would write a letter to Dr. Kleshinski telling him how much you want to go into medicine and why you think UTCOM is the place for you. If you are in the area, you could even ask to set up a meeting with him - he's very approachable.
good luck everyone!

Thanks for the input. We are still keeping our fingers crossed and think your advice above is good. Hope to see you in the fall. :)

hi again,

i was just wondering if anyone could be of help regarding my apt search. i've read the discussions about the places near by MCO. I am new to toledo and would really appreciate it if someone could give me an idea of the neighborhoods. I've been told to mainly look at south and west toledo. is this accurate (how are oregon, old west end, ...?)

basically, i want to live alone in a 1 or 2 bedroom. i want to avoid a complex, if at all possible, and am hoping to keep my commute around or under 15 minutes.

any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm in town now looking for apts and could definitely use a hand.

Oregon will take 20-25 minutes to get to MUO's campus. The Old West End will be about 12-15 minutes probably, and it isn't in the safest neighborhood. Most of Maumee, Holland, and some of Perrysburg is within that 15 minute range and are all nice. South Toledo will be within 10 minutes or so and is all safe as long as you are South of Airport or West of Byrne as a general rule.

South of Airport and West of Byrne as a general rule? Thats crazy. There are actually many really nice places North of Airport that are really nice and no less safe then south Toledo. I agree to stay away from the Old West End as there are some pockets of sketchier areas, plus the extra commute time in the winter when the weather gets bad. I unfortunately can't give much advice on non-complex apartment living as I am moving from one complex to another complex. Did you try Perry's Crossing (I think thats the name)--it is a complex but it is very very nice, new, and quiet, unlike some complexes closer to campus. Good luck!

Hey all just recieved the call today that Im in :)!!!

Just starting the appartment hunting, so I dont have any questions as of yet (gotta read through this thread first) but I look forward to seeing you all soon.

Touchdown said:
Hey all just recieved the call today that Im in :)!!!

Just starting the appartment hunting, so I dont have any questions as of yet (gotta read through this thread first) but I look forward to seeing you all soon.

Congratulations! See you in a few weeks! :)

Any thoughts on whether or not to invest in a labtop for school? And, if so, what do you guys think is the best way to go?

I'm just trying to figure out if it is worth it!

Laptops can be quite useful. I definitely plan on using mine for note-taking if powerpoint files are provided. It all comes down to preference, though; if you prefer to take notes by hand (or if the notes are given as paper copies and it'd be easier to highlight and jot in the margins during class), then it probably isn't worthwhile. There are computers to use at the library if you just need it periodically. I guess just think about those things, because a desktop would be cheaper for you to get if you don't need the portability of a laptop.

That being said, you can get decent deals on Dell laptops if you check their site frequently. If you want some suggestions you can PM me and I'll see what I can do to help. For purely academic use, a used laptop or a refurbished one from geeks.com would be my suggestion (saves lots of money). Good luck :)

Hope everyone is enjoying the last few weeks of freedom!

Today I received an invitation for myself and four guests to Convocation and the White Coat Ceremony in the mail. It was a pretty nice touch, my parent's were pleased with the invitation. I also got a newsletter from AMA-MSS directed to the UT College of Medicine, basically trying to get us to join. Any thoughts on this from current students? I'm thinking I will definately join, it might be a really cool way to get involved with activism and something other than just studying all the time.

Best wishes to everyone! :)

I forgot to post this in my last message... but did anyone else receive perscription medicine ID cards from Express Scripts in the mail? What is this all about? Is this something we are paying for, or something involved with the student insurance at UTCOM? I am still covered under my parents' insurance for a year (thankfully), so I hope I'm not being charged for anything. On the same note, are we automatically enrolled in UTCOM's insurance and do we have to decline if we don't want it? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks again!

I got a question for the veterans at UT, what is the schedule like for classes on Fridays and Mondays for the 1st block?

Thanks.

Hello all--hope everyones getting excited and ready to move out to T-town, countdown to orientation is on! (I will be drifting around campus that week so hopefully I will get a chance to meet everyone)

Regarding the insurance issue, the way it worked last year was that you had to give the school your parents insurance info and then if it is comparable to the MUO (UT-COM? lol) insurance they will either not charge you or give you the refund as a check or direct deposit. Which brings me some words of wisdom---I would fill out the direct deposit form they give you during orientation so you do not have to be waiting for subsequent refund checks in the mail in the future!!! It saves some hassle.

Regarding class times during block I--it will depend on the professors schedule. I seem to remember getting out at noon most Fridays and 2-4 other days of the week--don't worry, you will get a detailed schedule during orientation.

You will get all the note packets for all blocks, so whether you want a laptop or not is a personal preference completely. One is not needed and I considered getting one this winter, but I am glad I did not because it makes my life that much more simple since I am a big believer that all of society in general just owns TOO MUCH CRAP that really ends up making life more complicated, but thats just my opinion :)

Regarding block I, don't go out and buy books for a while. All of the histo books you will ever need (theres a good chance you never will need one even) are available at the library. Check out ncbi.org to get the entire newest edition of the Biochem book all online, its quite helpful plus no heavy book to lug around.

Regarding moving in/last minute stuff, feel free to post/PM me as always. Good luck , I know how hectic this time of the summer is before M1! Things WILL all come together and you'll all be set and ready for classes to start, I promise. :D

Empower

EMPOWERurSELF! said:
Hello all--hope everyones getting excited and ready to move out to T-town, countdown to orientation is on! (I will be drifting around campus that week so hopefully I will get a chance to meet everyone)

Regarding the insurance issue, the way it worked last year was that you had to give the school your parents insurance info and then if it is comparable to the MUO (UT-COM? lol) insurance they will either not charge you or give you the refund as a check or direct deposit. Which brings me some words of wisdom---I would fill out the direct deposit form they give you during orientation so you do not have to be waiting for subsequent refund checks in the mail in the future!!! It saves some hassle.

Regarding class times during block I--it will depend on the professors schedule. I seem to remember getting out at noon most Fridays and 2-4 other days of the week--don't worry, you will get a detailed schedule during orientation.

You will get all the note packets for all blocks, so whether you want a laptop or not is a personal preference completely. One is not needed and I considered getting one this winter, but I am glad I did not because it makes my life that much more simple since I am a big believer that all of society in general just owns TOO MUCH CRAP that really ends up making life more complicated, but thats just my opinion :)

Regarding block I, don't go out and buy books for a while. All of the histo books you will ever need (theres a good chance you never will need one even) are available at the library. Check out ncbi.org to get the entire newest edition of the Biochem book all online, its quite helpful plus no heavy book to lug around.

Regarding moving in/last minute stuff, feel free to post/PM me as always. Good luck , I know how hectic this time of the summer is before M1! Things WILL all come together and you'll all be set and ready for classes to start, I promise. :D

Empower

empower, you are great. thanks for the useful advice as usual! looking forward to meeting you in about 2 weeks! :)

reedgw said:
I forgot to post this in my last message... but did anyone else receive perscription medicine ID cards from Express Scripts in the mail? What is this all about? Is this something we are paying for, or something involved with the student insurance at UTCOM? I am still covered under my parents' insurance for a year (thankfully), so I hope I'm not being charged for anything. On the same note, are we automatically enrolled in UTCOM's insurance and do we have to decline if we don't want it? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks again!

I got these cards in the mail too. I already have insurance as well, so I hope we can cancel if this costs money. My undergrad had an automatic charge for an insurance plan that would be deleted upon request.

reedgw said:

Good question- MUO has this great/awesome/fantastic/magnificent program for prescriptions for students and employees. If MUO's pharmacy has your prescription on its formulary, and you can check if it is on the Monitor website after you get your log-in ID and password, you can get a 3 month supply of your meds for a whopping total of $10. No typo there. And if you get it for only a one month supply it's also $10. Non-formulary meds are at the pharmacy's cost plus a $5 dispensing fee. When the pharmacy is not open (evenings and weekends) you can use that Express Scripts card to get the same? or similar prices on meds at a bunch of local pharmacies (Target, Kmart are ones I can think of, but there should be the complete list in the packet sent with the prescription card).

Best part of this plan is that you have this prescription "benefit" whether you have the school's insurance plan or not- you have it simply because you are a student. I guess this qualifies as the school's insurance plan's prescription coverage because there's not a specific benefit in the plan itself for drugs.

You will be automatically charged for the school's insurance on your first bill, and that money will be taken out of the money the school gves to you as your first distribution of loans. During orientation they will tell you how to opt out of this program, providing proof of your current coverage, and if it's similar to the school's insurance they will refund what they automatically took out a few weeks later. Kind of crappy that it's automatic, but I guess they figure people won't do it if they don't have to... Not a horrible system.

I can't speak much to the quality/specifics of the insurance plan the school offers because I didn't take it last year or the upcoming year. Can anyone weigh in on that?

Get excited!

Liz, I miss you!

And your amazing chili! ;)

Totally unrelated to the class of 2010, but I just had to throw that out there. :laugh:

Hey Class of 2010ers

Just wanted to let you know that it looks like you guys are going to have a great orientation week. They've made orientation an day longer this year, so your days will be shorter and you'll have more flex time to get things done on campus, like getting your ID badge and that sort of thing. Also, it sounds like they've got some fun activities planned (which I won't spoil now). Glad to see you're all excited and I look foward to meeting your class in a few weeks.

Welcome to medical school!

Let me start by thanking all the current students for responding to our questions...it really helps to get some knowledge from people that have been through this all before! Can't wait to meet everyone at orientation!

A question about furniture...any good but less pricey places in Toledo to look? I am not sure whether I should buy furniture from Cleveland and have it shipped, or wait until I am in Toledo to do all that...suggestions? I hear Value City Furniture is good, but don't know of any other places in Toledo beyond that. Input appreciated!

12 days until Orientation?! :)

BlondieMD said:
Let me start by thanking all the current students for responding to our questions...it really helps to get some knowledge from people that have been through this all before! Can't wait to meet everyone at orientation!

A question about furniture...any good but less pricey places in Toledo to look? I am not sure whether I should buy furniture from Cleveland and have it shipped, or wait until I am in Toledo to do all that...suggestions? I hear Value City Furniture is good, but don't know of any other places in Toledo beyond that. Input appreciated!

12 days until Orientation?! :)

Hi all,

I'm doing the moving and getting excited for medical school thing too. regarding the furniture, i know there is an ikea about 1 hr away (canton, MI). Shipping appears to run around 200 whether you get 5 couches or 1 end table.

anyone else getting their moving things settled? When I called to change the electric bill to my name, there was a company called "all-connect" that is specialized in setting up basic stuff (i.e. phone, internet, cable,...). does anyone know anything about this?

See you all soon.

Just FYI, there is a Kmart that is going out of business on the corner of Holland-Sylvania and Central (west Toledo area). I can't say how much they have left or even if they are, in fact, still open, but they might have some good deals. My fiance bought her sister some stuff to furnish a new appt there.

Did or does anyone live in Orchard Lakes? If so, what are you doing about cable/internet? How much are you paying, and do you have to get a phone line to have internet? From what I hear they don't let us go through Buckeye... which makes things complicated a little bit.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

I will ask for you!!

reedgw said:
Did or does anyone live in Orchard Lakes? If so, what are you doing about cable/internet? How much are you paying, and do you have to get a phone line to have internet? From what I hear they don't let us go through Buckeye... which makes things complicated a little bit.

reedgw said:

I lived in OL last year. It is true that they have their internet contracted through only two companies, Arialink for cable and SBC/AT&T (I think) for DSL. The service for Arialink was alright. For 39.95 you basically get the same service that you get with Buckeye (which I have now). Two bad things: you have to buy the modem, which I think was around $75 and they charge your credit card each month instead of sending you a bill. The latter created some problem for me while trying to bring in bills to the FinAid office so they could give me more money....but that's a whole other 'nother can o' worms.

You do not need a phone line for Arialink, but I assume you do for the DSL service.

Over all, Arialink: :thumbdown:
but if you, like me, can't remember life before high-speed internet, then it is your only option. I had it, and I lived to tell the tale.

Since I am, of course, a responsible representitive of my university, I feel obligated to mention that MUO offered free dial-up access to students last year. I have no idea if that will continue now that we are UT.

I think you will like Orchard Lakes. Several of my classmates (and, strangely, two of my three anatomy lab partners) lived there and everyone liked it. You do get what you pay for.

Hope that helps, feel free to pm me for more info.

Hello everyone. I called Buckeye last week to setup an appointment for them to install my phone and internet at my place. They were nice; gonna end up paying like $40 a month for the most basic internet and telephone service combined. I haven't done anything with the electric company... I guess I assumed that the bill just comes in the mail to the apartment office and they put it in the mailbox (Am I way off on that? I've never lived in an off-campus apartment before.). I reserved a uhaul yesterday and will be driving up Saturday, w00t. Can't wait to get into the swing of things. Peace.

My wife and I live at Orchard Lakes now. We have basic cable @ $32/mo. We got our internet through VerizonDSL. We did "dry-loop DSL" (only pay for DSL, no phone service-- we are using cell phones only). For 768 Kbps we are paying ~ $25/mo. This area can also get their fastest speed at 3.0 Mbps for ~ $35/mo. The internet is very fast and we have not had any problems yet.

If you have anymore questions let me know.

ironman20 said:
My wife and I live at Orchard Lakes now. We have basic cable @ $32/mo. We got our internet through VerizonDSL. We did "dry-loop DSL" (only pay for DSL, no phone service-- we are using cell phones only). For 768 Kbps we are paying ~ $25/mo. This area can also get their fastest speed at 3.0 Mbps for ~ $35/mo. The internet is very fast and we have not had any problems yet.

If you have anymore questions let me know.

Hey I was trying to set up a dry-loop DSL connection with Verizon as well. Unfortunately the last people who lived in the apartment failed to canel their verizon service so I can't set up my account yet. Anyways I was wondering how your 768 Kbps connection was and if you think getting the 3.0 Mbps is worth it. I initially though the 768 sounded relatively slow but it sounds like you are happy with that service.

The 768 is plenty fast for us. Pages loading/ downloads are very quick (downloading a song doesn't take any longer than 30-45 sec). I'm not sure how much faster the 3.0 would be, but for us it wasn't worth an extra $10/mo.

Just fyi, to convert from kb (kilobits) to KB (kilobytes) you just divide by 8. So your 768 connection would have a maximum download rate of 96 KB/s. I have 1.5mb/s at home and so we get a max of about 200KB/s. I got very basic cable internet at 96kb/s which translates to a cool 12KB/s, lol, but I don't plan on using it for downloading anything (I just remote to my server at home and download to that if there's a big download). $25 is really cheap for 768 considering my 96 is $20.

As far as the insurance thing, I called today and the gentleman told me to fill out the waver form and send it in with a copy of my insurance card. Here's a link to the waver form information:

http://hsc.utoledo.edu/depts/health/insurance.html#waivers

Quite odd, maybe I didn't read carefully, but there's no direct link to the waiver form on that section of the page. It is at the bottom:

http://hsc.utoledo.edu/depts/health/pdf/MUOT_waiver_request_form.pdf

That's that. Peace.

Hello!

After four days of driving, I finally arrived in Toledo!

For those just arriving too, lemme know if you need help moving furniture or whatever. I have a pickup, power drill, etc.

FOUR DAYS?! Wow, I guess I'd better not complain about my 2.5 hours. Though, my 44 hour trip from Israel was quite enough for me :) Thanks for the offer to help! I would also like to extend such an offer starting when I get up there tomorrow. I don't have anything useful except my own person, but I'd be happy to help. Peace!

Hope you guys start holding down the fort there in T-town... :)

Anyone know if those express-script cards cover spouses?

ironman20 said:
Anyone know if those express-script cards cover spouses?

Only if you have the school's health insurance for that spouse. I would check for sure on that, but I know it doesn't extend to spouses if you don't have their insurance.

First night in Toledo. Lol, exhausted from unpacking. Did take a quick bike ride through the campus, it was quite peaceful. I hope that feeling lasts through winter :)

Anyone here living close to UTCOM? As in within walking distance? It'd be cool to know if any of our classmates are living in the same complex.

Wow, some of you have already moved in. I was thinking about coming to toledo on saturday evening or sunday afternoon, and getting aclimated during orientation week. I guess I am just trying to prolong my diminishing summer vacation as much as possible.