MUO Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks a lot Hallm, you again rock my socks :) So does MUO have a simulator lab or anything like that for practicing clinical skills like intubation? I know OSU showed theirs off on their tour, but I didn't know if that was standard to med schools or if it was even that important. Any thoughts? Thanks, as always!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey future MCO students.... I'm a 4th year at MCO, so I'm familiar with the school as well as our match results. If anybody has any specific questions about the school or toledo, etc., feel free to PM me. (I apologize for calling it MCO, but that's what it will always be to me....)

We don't have a simulator like the one you're talking about as of now. I say 'as of now' because Dr. Gold (dean of the medical school) told a group of us early this year that he was trying to work things out so that a simulator could be purchased. They run around a million bucks a pop, so they aren't the easiest things to aquire. He was looking for outside money to be able to afford one. They also have a very high cost of upkeep. He mentioned that it takes a full-time staff to keep one running and working properly with the high demands that would be placed on it (from residents, students, etc.)

I don't think they are standard at medical schools yet. I don't have any numbers, but my guess would be that most schools do not have one as of yet as they are very expensive, but I think most schools would love to have one in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks again for the responses. I'm pretty sure I will be visiting on my Easter break (I'm at a private undergrad that has a break for Easter). Is there anything you current MUO (or MCO :)) students feel I should make sure and check out? Anything you would have wanted to know about MUO before going there? I know it's kind of an abstract question. I hope to attend a first year class, if possible, and check out some of the facilities and neighborhoods. Just thought I'd pose the question in case I'm missing something. Thanks again!

what is this I hear about a second look days at muo?

also are notes at muo powerpoints or note packets(meaning detailed information) and we don't have to write stuff down the lecturer is saying on the powerpoint print out slides? I am just curious because I can't stand powerpoint notes, so I am hoping for the latter.

Freakedout said:
what is this I hear about a second look days at muo?

also are notes at muo powerpoints or note packets(meaning detailed information) and we don't have to write stuff down the lecturer is saying on the powerpoint print out slides? I am just curious because I can't stand powerpoint notes, so I am hoping for the latter.

I believe they have note packets and also a system where students take turns transcribing lectures so that if you miss class you can know exactly what was said.

Does anyone know if MUO has a second look day? I know I want to go back up to Toledo and check out some apartments, but I would also like to be able to meet some of my future classmates.

Anyways I am very excited and cannot wait to start school. Everyday it becomes harder for me to concentrate at work because I think about medical school all the time!

Greetings future MUO-ers! I have been MIA from SDN for a while but its exciting to see the new class getting ready to start med school. :) I'm a first year here now, and hopefully I will be able to answer all of your questions. If you have any questions, concerns, anxieties, etc. PLEASE PM me!

-Regarding 2nd looks: I heard last week that there was supposed to be a 2nd look some time in the spring but I am not sure if it has happened yet. Camel (or anyone else) if you are making a trip to MUO you can definitely sit in on some classes and spend the day around campus; we just had someone last week who set up there own "2nd look" through the admissions office. Or just tell us when you will be here. :)

-You will get a note packet for each section of each block. They are very thorough for the most part, but going to class is still a good idea, especially in anatomy. They are a mix of lots of powerpoint with some written notes and pictures. If anyone would like to take a look at some notes/powerpoints from any section of 1st year please PM me--I can e-mail the files to you.

-We don't have a formal note service, but in just the last month our school started putting recordings of the lectures on the web. We also have a yahoo group going for our class which has been a HUGE success--there are transcripts, other peoples notes, charts, links, pictures, and lots of other stuff on there.

-My feeble attempts at words of wisdom: 1. Its TONS of work and can be tiring, but med school WILL BE DOABLE FOR YOU. Just try not to get behind if you can help it; after a certain point it is very difficult if not impossible to catch up and still know the info well enough. 2. You WILL have time to go out and have a life (which is absolutely necessary to maintain your sanity), even during anatomy (I promise). 3. Study really hard for that first test of the year in Biochem: if you do well, awsome; if not, then you will have time to do remediation, get a tutor, change your game plan, etc. 4. Be open to everyone in your class, you will be pleasantly surprised at how great your colleagues are! I absolutely LOVE my class and have had a chance to meet and hang out with lots of very different but all amazing and fun people. A bunch of us from all different classes were saying recently that we have become friends with people who we never assumed that we would when we first came here.

Once again, congrats, good luck, and I can't wait to meet everyone in August!

Thanks for your replies! It is looking more and more like MUO for me, which is exciting. I definitely look forward to meeting everyone! I'm also very glad to hear about more technology integration (I'm a huge techy). I know of no 2nd look setup, so either one hasn't been or the information is up and coming (in which case it will probably take place close to the end of the school year). I'd like to know if one will be organized so I can decide whether or not to come up. I was thinking about Friday the 14th of April (I have the day off for Easter break). Anything special happen on Fridays during the day? I probably won't be able to stay overnight.

One thing I do get somewhat annoyed about with MUO is the lack of email addresses posted online. Maybe I just can't find them, but it's one of those situations where you can email the webmaster but you'd rather email someone specific. It made me suspect that MUO wasn't really integrated technology as much as I am used to in college (and very much prefer). I am glad to hear that they're starting to do things like record lectures and post them online. I'm going to try and email the admissions office to ask about second look... hopefully, I'm not the eleventy billionth person to do so, I hate being a bother.

Ok, here's the deal on the second look weekend. They just e-mailed some or all of us asking to host people for the second look weekend. However, it looks like it is only for URMs, so unless you're a URM I guess you will have to set one up on your own....which sucks.

You can e-mail admissions anytime ([email protected] I think) and they'll get back to you pretty promptly. I remember Sandy being really quick (as in minutes) of replying. About the list of e-mail addresses: I think that may be because we have an online address book, but you have to have a password for it. Actually, if you use MUO's e-mail program then all you have to do is type in their name in the To: field and it'll make it to them. So if you wanted to e-mail Dr. John Doe, you'd just type in John Doe and it'd get there. I know if doesn't really help you out, but just more of an FYI.

Thanks, Hall. I just emailed emailed admissions last night to ask about it and schedule one of my own if one did not exist. That's unfortunate that it's only for URMs... though OSU did something similar for women at their second look because the male/female ratio of the class before was like 70/30, lol, so perhaps it is simply a way to attract a more diverse group. I don't know if I qualify as a URM, so I guess we'll see what the response is. Peace.

Yeah, there is no second-look weekend but it is easy to schedule a visit via email. I will be visiting either April 13 or 14 (Thurs. or Fri.) so I will be checking out some of the first year classes, etc. I look forward to it! Maybe I'll meet some of you SDNers! I'll give some details when I get them.

Ok, so I will be there on Thursday the 13th. I'm going to be attending two lectures/classes and then doing lunch. I have the name of my student host, Hall you've got a PM. I don't suppose any other SDNers are going to be visiting that day? It couldn't hurt to meet some of my classmates in addition to the years ahead of me :) Peace.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Camel, thanks for keeping us up to date. Unfortunately, I can't go visit right now, so I'm going to have to live vicariously through you. Are you going to be checking out any apartment buildings or neighborhoods while you're there? If so will you post what you thought of them. Thanks, and have fun.

Hey Everyone!

I just got home from a grueling weekend of apartment hunting in toledo. I am a woman who will be living alone, so safety is a big issue for me. From the things I have heard on this website (mostly from last year's MCO thread) I decided to stay away from the immediate MUO area, and tried to look at apartments to the south and west of campus.

Heather Hills seemed fairly nice, and the price was quite reasonable. I saw a lot of apartment complexes which were horrible. They were dirty, smelly, looked unsafe, etc.

I finally decided on a new complex in Perrysburg which is about 15-20 minutes from campus. I might be a little picky, but I had a lot of trouble finding a 1 bedroom apartment which I thought I could be comfortable in for under $600.

Here's a question that I'm having about financial aid: I saw that the MUO budget allows us $435 for rent (05-06). I have never used loans, so I'm sorry if this question is stupid, but can I take out extra loans so that I can live in a little nicer apartment? Is it possible to take out $5000 more than they budget us so that I can live comfortably? Sorry if that question is a little snobby sounding - I just work and study better when I'm not stressed about my money situation!

PM me if you have any questions about specific apartments and I will be happy to let you know what I thought (if I toured them!)

Thanks!

MUO is actually going to an average cost of attendance next year for the students that want. That's slightly different than this year since we're on a "actual" cost of attendance (or something to that effect). Basically it means we can take out more money than we can this year. So, yes you can afford that apartment as long as you keep your other costs in check. You can technically take out as much money as you want. However, after max out your Stafford loans (which i think max at $38,500) you have to switch to private loans. Private loans mean you'll be paying a lot of interest while you're in school, and you definitely don't want to do that unless you just have to do it.

Hi cyclist05 and anyone else considering Heather Hills in Toledo!

I have a 1-bedroom apartment in Heather Hills that I will be moving out of during mid-May, but my lease isn't up until July 1. If anyone is wanting to move to Toledo anytime around the 1st of June, I would be more than happy to give you specific details, even pictures! of the apartment (which comes with a washer and dryer, rent is 574/mo). If I don't find someone to take over the apartment, I will have to pay rent even though I won't be living there :(

I've been very satisfied with Heather Hills (nice area, condition of apartments is excellent, my apartment faces some trees and a fence so privacy in this apartment is pretty nice, the leasing office people are great and respond to maintenance requests very quickly, HEAT IS INCLUDED in the rent, big extra storage closet across from the apartment, huge bedroom, dishwasher, etc...)

PM me if you are interested!

PS I'm not moving because dissatisfied- I would have lived here all through med school but I just got engaged :) so I need a bigger place

It's sooo cool to have more people on here talking. I was starting to think it'd just be Hall and Camel having a long convo :) I look forward to meeting all of you next year hopefully! I'm gonna check out some of the neighborhoods next week. Cyclist, did you get a chance to check out any of the neighborhoods with homes? I know you said you were looking for apartments, but I didn't know if you drove through any housey places. lizbjrddnr, are you getting a bigger apartment or a house with your fiance (congrats, btw)? I am really hoping to find a decent small home within walking distance of MUO. Peace.

Cyclist, what did you hear about places close to MUO? Also how far away from MUO is Heather Hills, and did most of the places you visited have available apartments? Thanks

Her ring (and from the sound of it, her man) are great too! ;) Congrats, gal.

Camel-I don't think you will have much luck finding small homes within WALKING distance from school, but you can find some nice small reasonable ones very close by (defintitely less than a 10 min drive). Check out houses off of Airport Highway (I have been to 2 over there that students live in and they are nice, safe, and seem affordable) and off of Glendale (there are many side streets and the houses there are again reasonable and safe).

Cyclist-From your post I am assuming that you will be at Perry's Crossing, if so there are several students there and they seem to like it a lot.

-Regarding budget, everyone I know is able to live comfortably. If absolutely needed/wanted you can take out extra private loans. Several classmates have done that not only if they are out-of-state, but to get new computers or other things. Its always best not to take out the higher interest private loans obviously, but don't deprive yourself if you need the extra money. I have private loans and yes, they do cost more, but they also will get paid off first.
--some people are just really dramatic about the thought having private loans, don't listen to them if you really feel you need them after careful budgeting.

Camel, I will try my best to make it Thursday to meet you! All other future MUO-ers, we WILL meet up at some point--pencil me in for some day in August to get together ;)

Hey Camel, we are renting a "townhouse-style condo" about 20 minutes drive from MUO- sorry, I'm sure that doesn't help, heh...

Sparkysgirl, to answer your question, MUO is a 7 minute drive from Heather Hills. I can answer any other questions about it you might have too.

To the future MUOers, I would definitely listen to Empowerurself- she knows what she's talking about :)

EMPOWERurSELF! said:
Camel-I don't think you will have much luck finding small homes within WALKING distance from school, but you can find some nice small reasonable ones very close by (defintitely less than a 10 min drive). Check out houses off of Airport Highway (I have been to 2 over there that students live in and they are nice, safe, and seem affordable) and off of Glendale (there are many side streets and the houses there are again reasonable and safe).

Camel, I will try my best to make it Thursday to meet you!

Thanks! I guess I'm hoping to at least be able to bike to school on some days. I'd rather not have to drive every day. I got way used to walking in college. One good thing is that parking is free, unlike a lot of places. I will definitely check out those streets. Hopefully I'll get to meet you on Thursday! For now, I have a medicinal chemistry exam to get to. Peace.

So this block is around 11 weeks, and in that 3 monthish span, Biochem, Physio, Cell Bio (genetics included), Histo, Pharm, and some path is covered? That seems rough lol. I was just wondering how do they want you to learn the information, is a set of course notes given out, do you learn for certain books, or is it just a wide variety of things?

Id appreciate any feedback, thanks a bunch:)

Block I covers:
-Biochemical pathways (TCA, Pentose Phosphate, gluconeogensis, amino acid synthesis, etc, etc)
-Cell bio (cell structure, basic cell types, cellular function, etc.)
-Genetics (both Mendellian and molecular genetics; also included is an overview of many genetic diseases)
-Histology is incorporated into the first two or three tests. It's basic histology relating to the basic cell types and structures found within cells. The histology of different organs and systems (liver, pancreas, endocrine, etc) are covered during block 2.

No physiology, pharm, or pathology is covered. Those are all found in the Organ Systems block in second year.

Block one isn't too bad. Especially looking back on it now after taking anatomy.

Well, went to MUO yesterday. It was awesome! I guess I'm lucky because I showed up on a day with amazing weather. Anyway, sat in on a couple of classes (which, for reference, I have done at Case and OSU as well). They were both well executed with PPTs and good interaction with the med students. People were cheerful, but it was also right after some tests. I met Hall and (I think) EMPOWER, they rock as much in person as they do on here.

I ate lunch with several students and learned a bit about the Dean of the med school (Dr. Gold, I think), who apparently does an excellent job responding to the students' needs and advancing the school. He sounds incredible (was almost U.S. surgeon general I hear). I also met with financial aid and there should be updated info on the website as soon as they get it.

I drove around the place a bit. There are some great-looking neighborhoods up there right by the college. I also saw Target, Best Buy, Lowes, Home Depot, Michaels, a theater, lotsa restaurants, and a Kroger all within a few minutes' drive of the school. One side of MUO seems to be bordered by a big nature reserve, which is huge for me because I love trails and biking and such.

I'm now 95% sure I'll be at MUO (which will be changing its name again to UT-COM soon from what I heard, as a result of the merger). I was thoroughly impressed, again. Peace.

Now I REALLY want to go visit and see everything for myself.

I'm so psyched that you liked your stay here at our school Camel--yes, that was me who talked to you in the lecture hall. Sorry I only used my first name! :)

Sparkysgirl, you should plan a day to come up and hang around in classes and the area before our school year ends!

whats all this about Medical university of Toledo.... I thought it was MUO: health campus of University of Toledo...Hmmmm Are thinking about Changing it AGAIN?

I heard from the med students I was with that Dr. Gold said it was official that the university will change its name from Medical University of Ohio to University of Toledo College of Medicine. Take that for what it's worth :)

EMPOWER, that means your class entered MCO, attended MUO, and will graduate from UTCOM. :) Yeah, I loved the visit. I'm hoping to do some biomedical engineering research too and the UT merger will make that possible. W00t.

Sparks, if you are still undecided about where to attend, I'd definitely encourage visiting. I also got a chance to check out the nursing school for m'lady and it was great, too. I'm gonna go ahead and put it out there: MUO will prolly make top 50 within 10 years :) I hate rankings, lol, but with the UT merger (research money) and the obvious attention to improvement, the place is clearly great. I hope Toledo's weather isn't as bad as Cleveland's, though :)

Yes, I guess you can say I went to 3 medical schools!

Sometimes, when I'm feeling nostalgic, I put on my old MCO hoodie--its kind of like wearing a throwback jersey. :laugh:

Also regarding the engineering--a friend of mine who at UT right now claims that in about 10 years the engineering dept. is supposedly going to be phenomenol--right now its a very good program from what I hear. Hopefully you will have some time to pursue some research there while you're in Toledo.

I'm a 4th year, and although i won't be around for the merger, I will be in the only class to officially graduate from the Medical University of Ohio.....

Do you guys know when the name will be officially changed? I can't wait to attend UT-COM.

Anyways does anyone know when we will be receiving any info about our financial aid award or about housing?

Also, my lease is running through July, but I am looking to move out at the end of May for residency. If anybody is planning on moving to Toledo in June or July, please consider my apartment and PM me for more details. I'll give a brief description below. My apartment complex is located next to Heather Hills and is called Heathbriar. This is about a 8-12 minute drive to MCO, depending on time of the morning. It is one bedroom, 800 square feet (big), large balcony, 2nd floor (kind of main floor because 1st floor is partly basement), all electric (saves some utility money in winter), rent is 500/month. The rooms are huge (I was able to fit a couch, exercise bike, desk, entertainment corner unit, and double bed into the bedroom with plenty of space to walk around), large walk in closet in bedroom. The carpet was brand new when I moved in 3 years ago, and management will clean it and repaint the walls after I move out. My neighbors have been great since I moved in, so no problems there. Carports are available for about 20 bucks a month, and you can have cats for a monthly fee.

Feel free to PM me with any questions

kskuwik said:
Do you guys know when the name will be officially changed? I can't wait to attend UT-COM.

Anyways does anyone know when we will be receiving any info about our financial aid award or about housing?

MUO and UT officially merge on July 1. So that's when the name change will take place.

It seems like I remember getting some information from the MUO offices starting in June. That includes financial aid, newsletters, roommate lists, etc. I assume scholarship information is sent out before all of this (I obviously wasn't lucky enough to get a scholarship) because they use them to recruit top students.

Hey guys,

I'll be attending MCO or MUO or UT-COM (whatever you want to call it) this fall and I'm really excited. I was wondering if the current students would suggest getting a PDA for the first 2 years of med school? My cellphone contract is up and I hear it's helpful to have a PDA. Also, are they recommended for the 3rd year on?

PS if anyone has last years Step 1 passage rate and avg score that'd be great. From what I hear MUO has been doing an outstanding job in the past few years with Step 1 scores. They should really publicize this more... I can't find it anywhere on the site. Other schools brag about their passage rates.

I think the their avg step score is around 215s, with extremely high 1st time passing rate, not sure though.

Another cool thing is I think they have electronic histology slides, which is much cooler than having to fidget with microscopes.

Anyways, I am really just trying to kick this thread to the top. Anyone have any other news regarding finan aid or apartments...(what are good places with suburban feel to them.)

Hey I was wondering if anyone else received a scholarship application in the mail yesterday. The letter said it was for $5000 and was in honor of an M1 student who died in an airplane crash in 1994. It also said all application material would be sent to the family and they would choose the recepient.

I was curious as to who you guys might use for references (ex someone who knows you well can can attest to your character or a doctor you shadowed but doesn't really know you that well.)

Also does anyone know if we will have the chance to apply for any other scholarships?

reedgw said:
Hey guys,

I'll be attending MCO or MUO or UT-COM (whatever you want to call it) this fall and I'm really excited. I was wondering if the current students would suggest getting a PDA for the first 2 years of med school? My cellphone contract is up and I hear it's helpful to have a PDA. Also, are they recommended for the 3rd year on?

PS if anyone has last years Step 1 passage rate and avg score that'd be great. From what I hear MUO has been doing an outstanding job in the past few years with Step 1 scores. They should really publicize this more... I can't find it anywhere on the site. Other schools brag about their passage rates.

Im currently a 3rd year at muo. Sorry this is short, but here are your answers. PDA - only use for 3rd and 4th year, so don't buy one yet. Wait for technology to keep improving. My class for step 1 passed 145/148 and had an average of 218.

I got the scholarship letter. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for it, though. I am so burnt out atm, lol, I'm going to wait until after graduation to even think about it. I'm pretty sure that since this is going to a family, you can reuse some of your essay material, etc. I may just do that. From what I hear, more information in general (on everything) will be coming mid-summer. I need to go get a physical done while I'm still on my parents' insurance, lol. Aight, peace all.

I was wondering how all you guys were notified that you were accepted? did you also receive a phone call or something? or they just sent a packet in the mail? thanks

phone call, then thick envelope (not big though) a week or so later

I was thinking about buying a laptop for next year and was wondering how useful it would really be? Do those of you who have one really use it that often for school?

Also I was curious as to how many MUO students actually buy their books? I know they hand out a lot of notes and wasn't sure how useful it would be to purchase the textbooks.

I lot of people in our class have laptops and find it useful for taking notes (once in a while) and histo lab, but its mostly just for convenience/distraction in class.
I did not purchase a lap top and there have been very few times during the year that I wish I had one, especially as the year went on. More than enough laptops are available for you to borrow during histo lab if needed, and besides that there is no other time when laptops are needed to do school work. Some people who have them love them, use them all the time, and couldn't function without them, so it really depends on your preference and what you are used to.

Regarding books: Hold off on buying them!!!! Wait first to see if your SOS (a second year you will be matched up with as a sort of mentor) gives you any old books. For first block I used books only a handful of times (and those I just got from the library), since the notes you are given are very complete. And I have never taken Biochem before. Some people really liked and used the Biochem text or BRS book, so I would wait for a bit and see if you want a text. Otherwise, lots of resources are available in the library and and the NBCI website (the entire Biochem text is on there.

Just about 4 months to go, class of 2010!!! Get excited.... ;)

kskuwik said:
I was thinking about buying a laptop for next year and was wondering how useful it would really be? Do those of you who have one really use it that often for school?

Also I was curious as to how many MUO students actually buy their books? I know they hand out a lot of notes and wasn't sure how useful it would be to purchase the textbooks.

I'm soooo excited :)
Thanks for the advice on bookage. I'm hoping not to make the same mistakes I did in undergrad. I bought all of the books and never used any of them in science classes. It's just not my learning style.
As far as laptops, it clearly depends on what your use would be... If you just want a notebook for taking notes and such in class, I'd visit a place like geeks.com and get a used or refurb notebook that has integrated wireless and decent specs (PM me if you want some advice and I can send you a few links or something). If you are hardcore into tech, then you already know what you want, and this advice is useless. :) I have one more exam today as of this message, and after that I have one final and my undergrad career is finished. W00t, I say. W00t.

Hey everybody,

I'll mostly likely be going to MUO next year. I'm going to europe all summer, and I don't have a chance to look for a place out there. I'm going to stay in Perrysburg with my sister for a while, is this a tough commute?

Hey guys our MUO thread keeps getting pushed back to the second page. That is just unnacceptable. There are only 109 days until orientation so there has to be something to talk about. Let's put up some more posts.

***I'm not really that fired up about posting on SDN. I am just very bored at work and would like to read more posts about MUO or UTCOM.***

What do you guys know about the waitlist and what are the chances of coming off this waitlist?

danesh23 said:
What do you guys know about the waitlist and what are the chances of coming off this waitlist?

For those on the out of state list, there is generally movement through the top third of the waitlist.

For instate, there typically isn't as much movement.

Last year I was in the middle of the top third (I was told around #20), and was able to move to #3 by the end of June. However, that is as far as I made it because there wasn't any movement after that.

Could any students who were from out of state tell me what exactly needs to be done to qualify for in-state tuition their second year? For example: drivers license, taxes, income, location of sources of money for tuition (bank account in state or out of state), owning or renting a home etc.

To obtain information about Ohio residency:
1. Visit Anderson's Ohio Online Docs located at: Online Documents
2. Select the "Anderson's Oho Administrative Code" link
3.Type "3333-1-10" in the Search field
4. Select the document titled 3333-1-10 Ohio student residency for state subsidy and tuition surcharge purposes. from the bottom right window pain. This is the document you should review.

Although this website is quite informative, I also recommend contacting MUO's Residency Officer because the decision to grant or deny residency is made by the institution and the Residency Officer could inform you of the documents they may request during their decision process.

I went through this this year. I would recommend moving to Toledo at least 4 or 5 days before orientation starts. That way you'll have plenty of time to get all of this done.

You need to:
1. Have your parents UNclaim you on their taxes and file independently come March '07.
2. If you own your car you need to register it in Ohio (title, liscense plate, etc)
3. Take the written test for your driver's liscense.
4. Register to vote
5. Have a lease that proves you have lived here for one year

When you go to apply for instate tuition you will fill out a form that asks your status on each of these issues. I don't think you need to necessarily meet all of them, but it's a good thing to IMO. For example, if you did everything but register to vote you'll still be fine. However, it will be tough to get instate tution if your parents still claim you or you don't have a lease or other proof that you lived here (that last one is easy to get obviously). If you have any questions just ask.