MUO Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I am slow when it comes to getting used to a new place. I've been getting my bearings here. Really nice bike trail at the swan creek nature reserve and it's like 1 mile down the road from me. Also, lotsa convenient "poor college student" and other stores nearby (Kroger, Aldi, Walmart, Deals, Big Lots, etc; don't want to step on anyone's toes if they have something against walmart, just wanted to list it for thoroughness). There's a mall just down the street from here... Southwyck... but it's dead. I've never seen a mall so empty. There's a Dillards there, a few little stores. The big mall is about 15 minutes away from what I gather, has a big theater, too. Gonna go by the CoM tomorrow and turn in some forms. If I learn anything "good to know" I will post (of course). Peace.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey d00ds and d00dets. So I turned in some formage today... it seems that they're going to make the direct deposit form mandatory because it is mandatory at UT... just a friendly warning for those who were not planning on filling it out and voiding a check for it.

Also, waived the health insurance... and noticed a titer fee on the bill which apparently gets waived by the student health center after they make sure you've up to date on all of your immunizations. Make sure you keep an eye on that if you are up-to-date. Tis no small sum.

Got internet and phone today through BEX... it's a digital phoneline that uses VOIP, kind of cool. If anyone else is planning to get hooked up, here's something that might be useful:

http://www.buckeyecablesystem.com/downloads/BEX_agreements/tolexpressdocs/tol-referafriend.pdf

I don't know anyone personally, but I figured I'd post in case some of you already know each other. Alrighty, peace.

HRowPhern said:
I lived in OL last year. It is true that they have their internet contracted through only two companies, Arialink for cable and SBC/AT&T (I think) for DSL. The service for Arialink was alright. For 39.95 you basically get the same service that you get with Buckeye (which I have now). Two bad things: you have to buy the modem, which I think was around $75 and they charge your credit card each month instead of sending you a bill. The latter created some problem for me while trying to bring in bills to the FinAid office so they could give me more money....but that's a whole other 'nother can o' worms.

I'm a bit concerned about my financial aid. Basically, I don't want to worry about money (if possible) and want to try and get more loan money to help set up my apt and buy a laptop. I've heard that MCO is rather infamous for being a headache in regards to financial aid. I've also heard that the prior classes complained, and that, along w/ the merger, should make our financial aid experience much better.

Do we really have to bring in bills to financial aid? It seems ridulously juvenile. Any tips on how to get the "max" amount from MCO?

Members don't see this ad :)
donmedi said:
Any tips on how to get the "max" amount from MCO?

Originally, I thought the difference with the Average Cost of Attendance and the Actual Cost of Attendance was that the Actual Cost of Attendance was going to let us take out more money so we wouldn't have to worry and just let us concentrate on school. But when I talked to a lady in the financial aid office, she told me that the Actual Cost of Attendance was intended to have us take out less loans.

So then I asked her what I should mark on the forms if I just wanted to take out the max that MUO offers, and she said to opt for the Average Cost of Attendance. I hadn't heard about bringing in bills and stuff unless you opted for the Actual cost of Attendance, where they start you off at some minimum and you have to show proof to approach the maximum amount of loans, which, as I understand it, will not exceed the Average Cost of Attendance. Someone please chime in if you've heard differently.

Related to money, what bank do most MUO students use? I have B of A but there are none around here. Which banks offer free checking and lots of ATM access in Toledo?

donmedi said:
I'm a bit concerned about my financial aid. Basically, I don't want to worry about money (if possible) and want to try and get more loan money to help set up my apt and buy a laptop. I've heard that MCO is rather infamous for being a headache in regards to financial aid. I've also heard that the prior classes complained, and that, along w/ the merger, should make our financial aid experience much better.

Do we really have to bring in bills to financial aid? It seems ridulously juvenile. Any tips on how to get the "max" amount from MCO?

I am also concerned about having enough money to live on at school. I have been working on my budget and I am worried that I will have a difficult time paying my bills. I have decided to get private loans (at least for this year) above the COA. I asked one of the financial aid advisors what I should do and she suggested the Wells Fargo and Chase private loans. I guess they don't have to be certified by the school. I haven't done much research yet, but the Wells Fargo seems to be a better deal.

I think the COA is a little ridiculous. I am fortunate that I don't have car payments, but someone who did would have a tough time. What if something big comes up, such as major car repairs? I would have to rely on my parent's help. The budget just seems to be too tight.

As far as the money concerns, I would imagine that it is difficult with all med schools. Toledo as a city has a low cost of living compared to the average (no proof of that, just personal experience). I dunno, every school I went to said that car payments are not taken into account and you have to "fend for yourself" on that. What's worse is having undergrad loans. Would suck though if they'd just leave you hanging... I don't imagine they want their students starving, though. It's also not a bad thing to be pushed to save money (obviously to a point). Debt sucks, and having tons of it sucks more. All med schools have it in their best interests to decrease the average indebtedness of their students. The important thing is to find a prudent balance between forcing thriftiness and preventing poverty.

I'm a fourth year at MUO(UT) and have recently decided to move out of my house because I am doing so many away rotations. I currently live in a 3 bedroom house with a den and a basement that will be available soon. I know this is late, but it is great for roommates or a family. It is in Maumee and 8 minutes from school. The landlords rent solely to medical students. PM me if you are interested. Congrats to all of you about to start!

NapeSpikes said:
Related to money, what bank do most MUO students use? I have B of A but there are none around here. Which banks offer free checking and lots of ATM access in Toledo?

Anyone? :(

NapeSpikes said:

I'm from Toledo and have used Fifth Third Bank for the last four years. They have free checking and have ATMs all over the Toledo area. I haven't had any problems with them.

On another note, I just want to say that I look forward to meeting all of you on Monday. Only six days to go!

Some advice on money:

First - I use 5/3, they have branches in local Kroger's, and there is a bank location right next to campus. I also know that there is a MUO credit union that offers checking...standard "merger disclaimer" applies, although I'm pretty sure UT has a credit union also.

Second - There will be a financial aid seminar during orientation. You will have a chance to ask lots of questions. It looks like you will have free time to visit the finaid office during the week for individual issues. But, until then, here is my best attempt at a rundown of money issues...

There are two ways to borrow money from UT: Actual Cost of Attendance (ACOA), and Estimated COA (ECOA). ACOA is, in fact, designed to hlep those students who want to control their debt and borrow as little as possible. You use your bills that you bring in to determine a budget. You can still get some 'wiggle-room' money for things like clothes and emergencies, but you pretty much have to present bills or recipts for anything else. This was the ONLY option last year and it wasn't good (at least in my opinion). It doesn't give you the opportunity to move your money around. For example, if you are saving money in one column (eg, your parents are paying for your cell phone as part of a family plan) you couldn't put the money you are saving toward something else (like a more expensive apartment).

Aye! The complaints were plentiful.

So, this year they have given us the option of the ECOA. From what I understand, this is the option where you can take the money and run. Like I said, it's new this year and I'm sure there are yet unseen quirks to this system as well. If anyone else out there knows more, add your two cents. As long as you agree to pay said two cents back at 6.8% interest.

See everyone Monday

HRowPhern said:
Some advice on money:

First - I use 5/3, they have branches in local Kroger's, and there is a bank location right next to campus. I also know that there is a MUO credit union that offers checking...standard "merger disclaimer" applies, although I'm pretty sure UT has a credit union also.

Second - There will be a financial aid seminar during orientation. You will have a chance to ask lots of questions. It looks like you will have free time to visit the finaid office during the week for individual issues. But, until then, here is my best attempt at a rundown of money issues...

There are two ways to borrow money from UT: Actual Cost of Attendance (ACOA), and Estimated COA (ECOA). ACOA is, in fact, designed to hlep those students who want to control their debt and borrow as little as possible. You use your bills that you bring in to determine a budget. You can still get some 'wiggle-room' money for things like clothes and emergencies, but you pretty much have to present bills or recipts for anything else. This was the ONLY option last year and it wasn't good (at least in my opinion). It doesn't give you the opportunity to move your money around. For example, if you are saving money in one column (eg, your parents are paying for your cell phone as part of a family plan) you couldn't put the money you are saving toward something else (like a more expensive apartment).

Aye! The complaints were plentiful.

So, this year they have given us the option of the ECOA. From what I understand, this is the option where you can take the money and run. Like I said, it's new this year and I'm sure there are yet unseen quirks to this system as well. If anyone else out there knows more, add your two cents. As long as you agree to pay said two cents back at 6.8% interest.

See everyone Monday

I had a lenghtly conversation with the director of financial aid about all of this about a month ago. Granted, I asked her a completely unrelated question, but she proceeded to give me a 15 minute rundown on what all of this means... now I'm glad she did! :)

HRowPhern got it right... the Average Cost of Attendance (ECoA as he called it) set the limit on borrowing around $34000, and the Actual Cost of Attendance set it around $27000. If you sign up for the ECoA and end up borrowing less (say, $25000), you can simply stop in the finaid office and ask for more money at any time as long as you are under your max limit (~$34000). You don't need to bring receipts, plead your case, or anything like that with ECoA. It's new this year, so we'll see how it all works out. As long as you are under your limit, you should have no problem getting the extra $1000 you need for your laptop or a new leisure suit or whatever you need. :)

The Actual CoA is a different story. This is the one where you need to bring receipts, bribe the finaid ladies, etc. God help you if you signed up for this one! I admire you but it'll be a pinch.

Regardless of whichever you decided on, I hear we are required to keep track of our debt through the Student Information System, which I think is a good idea. That is new this year too from what I undertand.

5 days... woa!

I'm not from Toledo, but I've always liked National City Bank and they have a few around here so I stuck with them. They have a sweet credit card that gets you 4% back on gas and 2% back on grocieries or vice versa, very VERY nice for someone living on her/his own. I'm sure 5/3 has an analogue to it, so if you go with them just ask about their credit card options. It has no yearly fees or anything, the interest rate is a lil high (it's meant for people who plan on paying the entire bill every month, which is what I intend to do). There's that... can't believe I forgot to address that in my previous post, sorry Nape!

Btw, I know this probably won't last much longer, but the weather is GREAT up here compared to southern Ohio... it's nice enough to ride my bike during the day! I don't have to wait til night anymore for it to be below 90 or 100, lol. Of course, soon I'll have to wait 6-8 months for a day where it's not below 0. :-( I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts. If anyone is up for some bike riding at Swan Creek, I'll prolly be there a lot doing the loop. PM me, I'd love to have company!

Alright, quick addition. I just talked to Toledo Edison (the electric company) and they take a day or 2 to put the electricity under your name. Sooo if you are at a place where they require you to change it to your name by a certain date, I recommend calling asap because you can specify which date in advance (save yourself on the electric bill by specifying the date you are required to have switched by).

As far as biking, if anyone does end up at the reserve, if you see a weird looking guy on a really weird looking bike (it's dark tealish with a big black seat), that's almost guaranteed to be me. Yell "Camel" and if the person responds then it's me :) Prolly won't see any of you there, but figured what the hey, might as well have some way to identify each other. Alrighty, peace.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone coming from the Chicago area for the white-coat ceremony (Thurs. night)? Thought I'd try and see if I could hook my twin sister up with a ride, so I won't feel as guilty when she is driving her rental car to Toledo. ;)

I'm driving all the way from Colorado. I'm almost there and dreadfully bored in this comfort inn by the mississippi river. But I've finally managed to get excited about school starting, I'll see you all monday!

Ick. I've made the drive to Colorado from Ohio before. When we went, we went through Kansas. Oh man, I shudder just thinking about that road. Long, straight, empty, and nothing around but corn. It was so boring. In any case, I hope you did not have to go through Kansas.

Blondie, sorry, no one from Chi-town. My peeps all come from St. Louis or somewhere in Ohio (or overseas, lol). Good luck!

Napespikes (or anyone else who is in town), you like any specific movie genres? I'm huge into movies, especially epics (Braveheart, Gladiator), sci-fi/fantasyish, and miniseries (Band of Brothers, Rome). It'd be cool to maybe setup some movie nights if anyone's interested. I suppose we'll see how things play out next week, just thought I'd do a little preliminary. Peace.

Have a safe drive fafo. I went the Vegas, Salt Lake, Denver, etc. route. CO is very beautiful.

Camel, I love movies of all kinds. My favorites are the quirky subtle comedy types like Almost Famous, Sideways, Truman Show, etc. Still, the occasional bloodbath and fighting tigers in an arena pumps me up, too. :D

W00t! Almost Famous is one of the IMDB.com top 250s that I haven't seen yet and have wanted to for a long time. Perhaps that can be on the list :) I built a projector last year to watch movies at my place. It still works well except for one section of the screen that's a bit fuzzy, but no complaints since it's like a 10 foot screen. Watched all of the Lord of the Rings extended editions on it :) Perhaps there is hope for a periodic movie night, then. Since I got here I've been watching some of my old favorites (Last of the Mohicans is the most recent). It's be sweet to have some company. I'll let you know when my next escapade into movieness will be. I'll be busy Friday and Saturday (my birthday = Sunday), but maybe sometime during orientation we can have an inaugural movie, lol.

Ten-foot screen? Holy Toledo. Sounds awesome.

Almost Famous = 70's rock + Cameron Crowe directing + Kate Hudson = :love:

(Happy b-day, Camel!)

I've made it, and managed to set up my computer with internet access. We didn't drive through Kansas, which is indeed a horrible state to drive through. We did however drive through Nebraska where the cows seem to outnumber the people, which should give you an indication of the smells. I just finished unpacking my movie collection. It ranges from one of my indie favorites "igby goes down" to "the 40 year old virgin". I'm down with movie nights.

Happy birthday camel!

Hi all, I too would love to have a movie night. And Camel do you bike over to Swan Creek to do the loop? When I look at the traffic on Glendale and cringe at the thought of biking with traffic. At least in Chicago the motorists are used to driving with bicyclists on the road. I would love to find other riders to ride with; somehow I think a pack of bikes would garner more curtsey from drivers on the road. Excited to meet everyone this coming week!

If you all want to ride your bikes in a safe place head over to the Wabash Cannonball trail. Throw them in the back of your car or a truck if you can. It's a trail only for bikes/roller blades/runners/etc. There are two parts of it...one if probably 15 miles long and the other is something like 60 miles long (when completed...i'm not sure if it's completed yet).

Let me know if you want detailed direction on how to get there. I've ridden on the streets of Toledo some and it's scary. I much prefer the trail.

Allright Im officially unpacked, and settled, whose else is excited to start?

Hello peeps! I just ride on the sidewalk UofC. I never ride on the street with my bike, it's a lowrider and I don't have a safety flag. Just take the sidewalk for the 1 mile and then get on the loop. Do you live near Swan Creek?

Hall, definitely looking to try that trail. Dunno if my bike will fit in my little car, though. We'll see!

Excited as can be! Weeeeeeeee!

Just thought I'd let you all know that I have about a 15 foot projection screen with NO fuzzy sections, and my fiancée and I also just watched the three LOTR extended editions. So phewy! :D LoL... although, we bought ours, I don't have the tech savvy to BUILD one, you sly devil you..

Anyway... because I'm about 40 minutes north of Toledo, it might be a stretch, but I definitely am thinking about setting up a few game nights on the screen, especially come Superbowl time... there's nothing better than watching the Lions get beat life-sized.

See you in a day!

Coop

Lol, yeah, my projector used to be flawless (apart from it's large size), but I dropped something on it (I said a few choice words... I don't curse a lot, so when I did, everyone knew I was angry). Yeah, cracked the screen, so there's a section on one side that's fuzzy. I still watch movies on it lots. Definitely not store-bought niceness, but I built it with my own two hands to I appreciate it a lot. I could have a 15-25 foot screen if I had a room big enough... my living room here is very small so I can't put the projector back far enough. Aw well, still beats tv in my book. Thanks for the offer of yours, too! It sounds sweet!

For my part, I'm a very "keep it simple" kind of guy when it comes to entertainment. I love watching movies with air-popped popcorn and a few friendly faces. :) Hopefully we'll do that. W00t last day tomorrow!

Camel, sounds like a good time. Keep an eye out for me at orientation, I'm the 5' 7" guy with blonde highlights that will probably be asleep during half of the talks this week. J/k.

Coop

Kyle_J_Cooper said:
Camel, sounds like a good time. Keep an eye out for me at orientation, I'm the 5' 7" guy with blonde highlights that will probably be asleep during half of the talks this week. J/k.

Coop

Movie and Game nights sound like a good way to get together, anyone into college football, we can setup OSU vs. Texas game night.??

I'm more into playing football than watching it, but I suppose we could do both :)

Coop, I'll keep an eye out for you! Short with short black hair and a goatie over here.

Anyone here a fan of Family Guy? Scrubs? Lost? I have all of them; I have a tv tuner in my computer and I record them all. I frequently go over some Family Guy episodes when I need something to laugh at :) We could always do a marathon instead of a movie every once in a while. Just thinking up some ideas. Tomorrow we start med school!

Hi all!! I'm a 4th year at (now) UT-COM. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions... Sorry, I was away from sdn for a while.
Anyhow, I know orientation starts pretty soon, so I will figure that most of you have already figured out housing.
As far as banking... I've used Charter One Bank for years (it now is merged with Citizen's as well if you have that where you're from), and I haven't had a single problem with them. There's one at the intersection of Byrne & Glendale, another one with longer hours in the Kroger at that same intersection, and one at Detroit & Glendale. The ATM on campus, however is Huntington & my roommate uses them - no complaints.
Other things you might want to look into:
1. SBC or AT&T (whoever the phone provider is these days) has a plan (I forget the name of it) where you can get discounted phone service if you don't have an income over a certain amount - many students do this (esp if you aren't coming from working). There are also energy assistance programs available for gas & electricity, which most students find they qualify for. I'd definitely look into these.
2. MUO used to provide (they may still) free dial-up internet access from home, so if you aren't like me & having to have a high speed connection, that's another option too.
3. The lecture rooms for 1st & 2nd year are usually pretty chilly, so most people bring a hoodie once lectures start.
4. There's a $2 movie theater on Airport Hwy (Rte 2) just west of the 475 exit that shows older movies. Albeit, the seating is not as comfortable as the newer theaters, but the price is definitely better. Red Robin (up on Monroe near the mall), also does a movie deal where you can get dinner (2 sandwiches) and 2 movied tickets to the regular theater that will save you some money (if you like to eat there) - my boyfriend & I use that a lot. (I mention this since you all talk about movies :)
I'm not sure what else I saw that I wanted to comment on, so I'll stop babbling now... Let me know though if you have any other questions.
~Danielle

Thanks for the great info! I've been meaning to try and find a good dollar theater in town. The other thing I haven't been able to find is a good custard place... I'm a huge fan of frozen custard (Ritters, Ted Drewes, Simons...). I know Toledo weather isn't the most conducive to cold desserts, but still. Anyone know of any? Not ice cream... frozen custard. lol :)

Movie night tonight was nice! Glad Nape could come :) For those who couldn't, we'll do it again. For those who didn't know, my apologies for the late notice. It was rather spur of the moment. But, again, we'll have a repeat performance, I'm sure. See you all tomorrow!

Also, UofC, rode down to Eastgate and Glendale after my ride in Swan Creek today. The sidewalk is horrid, so be careful. There's one bump that will literally knock you off your seat if you are not paying attention and/or going faster than like 5mph. It's on the same side of Glendale as the park. The park itself is about .9 miles from the intersection, a lil closer than it is to me.

Alrighty, well, peace all!

Alrighty, well, classes are gonna be in full swing soon. I suppose we should all join the rest of the class at the yahoo group. Make sure you follow the directions we got during orientation.

Peace.