Mt. Sinai = high MCAT screen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pakipremed786

talks to birds
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all those who have applied to Mt. Sinai School of Medicine (MSSM),

Is it true that this particular medical school places much emphasis on applicant MCAT scores? I've heard they want really high numbers, with quotes estimating 35+ (~12 per section)? Do they stress verbal scores? (Apparently they like humanities people...)

Scenario: Applicant A = 3.7, 30-33 (10-11's) vs B = 3.3, 37-40 (12-13's); same 'magic number' [LizzyM] score of 70; all else equal, is B in a better position for interview/waitlist/admission? Or if A had 11PS, 11BS, 15V (37) and B had 13PS, 13BS, 11V (37), which would they usually prefer?

Thanks

P.S. Would being a Knicks fan help me get in? :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Is it true that this particular medical school places much emphasis on applicant MCAT scores? I've heard they want really high numbers, with quotes estimating 35+ (~12 per section)? Do they stress verbal scores? (Apparently they like humanities people...)

Scenario: Applicant A = 3.7, 30-33 (10-11's) vs B = 3.3, 37-40 (12-13's); same 'magic number' [LizzyM] score of 70; all else equal, is B in a better position for interview/waitlist/admission? Or if A had 11PS, 11BS, 15V (37) and B had 13PS, 13BS, 11V (37), which would they usually prefer?

Thanks

They want applicant C: 3.7 GPA and 37-40 MCAT:smuggrin:

But all joking aside, they do tend to gravitate towards those with higher MCAT and GPA, but if you have a compelling story and circumstances, then you are fine... but 3.3 is a bit low, no offense...

Thanks

i hear they are big on community service, but besides that it does seem like they like ppl with higher mcat scores...

Members don't see this ad :)
I know an MSSM M1, and the feeling among students is that MSSM has a definite penchant for 36+ MCAT scores...

^ (Neither scenario is my personal case; I haven't taken the MCAT yet nor finished my premed requirements atm.)

i hear they are big on community service, but besides that it does seem like they like ppl with higher mcat scores...
The community service part is very true; it is a big part of the school. Not so sure about the MCAT thing. As far as humanities, well they have that special program for humanities to get in as sophomores without taking orgo, but I don't think they necessarily prefer humanities outside of that program. I honestly think that program is just a way to lock smart students into going to Mt. Sinai, because if you take orgo you are kicked out of that program so you're basically committed to going there.

I got an interview. 3.75ish both GPA's. 32 MCAT. Really good EC's. MCAT Screen? None.
By the way, I got only 1 interview from the SUNY's.

Hm.. I am not so sure about an MCAT screen: I applied with a 39T and I was rejected right off the bat. Of course this could mean that I passed their MCAT screen but was filtered out by some other auto-reject metric.

Hm.. I am not so sure about an MCAT screen: I applied with a 39T and I was rejected right off the bat. Of course this could mean that I passed their MCAT screen but was filtered out by some other auto-reject metric.

what do you mean rejected right off the bat? you already have a letter/email of rejection pre-interview?

There is nothing more frustrating than this. I think the MCAT is necessary because its obviously standardized for all applicants; BUT only a few dumb mistake questions could be the difference between a 36 and 34 (aka me).

I received an interview as well, but all the same...

I know an MSSM M1, and the feeling among students is that MSSM has a definite penchant for 36+ MCAT scores...

A clarification of my anecdote: I did not mean to imply that Sinai has an MCAT "screen" but that when they get to the "offers" stage they seem to weight MCAT heavily...

I am accepted.

My cGPA is 3.6 and my BCPM GPA is 3.5 (average). My MCAT is 35Q (12 11 12). I did not do THAT much community service because I am a research geek. Who knows who they are looking for? :p

I am accepted.

My cGPA is 3.6 and my BCPM GPA is 3.5 (average). My MCAT is 35Q (12 11 12). I did not do THAT much community service because I am a research geek. Who knows who they are looking for? :p

I think they like a combination of factors, research is one of them.

There is nothing more frustrating than this. I think the MCAT is necessary because its obviously standardized for all applicants; BUT only a few dumb mistake questions could be the difference between a 36 and 34 (aka me).

I received an interview as well, but all the same...

anyone heard of any acceptances with an mcat below 35?

Thanks

I wish they were. As for being a Knicks fan, Ill give you props if you still are seriously one. However, I dont think it will carry much weight since nobody will care about the Knicks unless they get LBJ.

yeah, I got accepted with WAAAYYY below a 35, i even got an 8 on a section, but I spent 3 years of undergrad in labs. they really like research

Yes. They have a screen in certain years--the committee votes on it. But it was not 35 the last time I knew what it was, and it is waived under certain circumstances.

(I work there...but not in the admissions dept. Physician instructors rotate through the adcom)

I'd prefer a high MCAT cutoff rather than a high GPA cutoff ("filter"/"screen"); standardized exams don't scare me as much as the chem dept...

I'm more of a community service/volunteering person, and I plan on working at their hospital this summer (I'm from NYC)

I might apply to MSSM PREPMed SMP later

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.