2019-2020 Mt. Sinai (Icahn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"
Dear applicants,

As healthcare professionals, our first commitment is to the health and well-being of our communities. It is with this in mind that we have decided to cancel ExploreIcahn2020. We all look forward to the activities and the community building that has defined ExploreIcahn and were thrilled to see you all again on our campus. However, we believe that cancelling ExploreIcahn2020 is in the best interest for our current and future students and the faculty and staff that support our learning environment.

This has been a hard decision because we love Revisit and we were eager to see you all. We had great panels, performances, parties, meals and networking events scheduled. In the end, however, the global health issue is rapidly evolving and the response from large corporations and massive institutions has been to restrict international and domestic travel. Recommendations that have been made one day have been expanded upon the next. We are committed to the health and safety of your family and friends and the health of our communities and patients and have decided that this is a prudent decision.

We are attaching a letter stating that your travel plans (plane tickets/train tickets) were professional in nature and that the events were canceled. Please use this to try to get a transferable reservation or refund.

We are hopeful that you understand that we did not make this decision lightly, and that we considered all variables. This is an evolving situation that continues to have many unanswered questions. We are deeply committed to you as a future student at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.

Please remain in touch with any questions.

With a deep commitment to your health and safety.

Admissions Team"

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I’m so sad :cryi: I hope they reschedule

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone think it is worth asking if any of the second look informational programming could be conducted remotely? I am currently trying to decide between here and another school and any additional information would be quite helpful as I try to decide.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone think it is worth asking if any of the second look informational programming could be conducted remotely? I am currently trying to decide between here and another school and any additional information would be quite helpful as I try to decide.
For sure. I think that would be beneficial to anyone who hasnt committed. Really disappointing outcome :/

I would reach out. A group of students who were helping plan the event are talking to admissions about potential ways we can try to make up for it and/or ways that we can help all of you deciding between other schools. Any input/requests you have may encourage the admissions office to offer something else. They are really receptive to feedback and obviously are invested in recruiting all of you to come.

We were all bummed too. I'm a first year and I know for a lot of us revisit last year pushed our decision to come (both meeting current students and also meeting our future classmates) and we were really excited to provide the same experience for you all. We worked hard setting it up and are all really disappointed we didn't get to see it through. Sorry we won't get to meet you guys but I really hope you choose Sinai because I know that in the last year I've come to love this place and I think one of the biggest draws is how great and empowered the student body is.

Thanks- any chance it will be rescheduled? Also is there a second revisit event once all initial As go out?
This seemed like their final decision so I would highly doubt it. Tbh what are the odds the coronavirus epidemic improves in the next month? I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of schools follow suit.

they just sent an email saying they’ll be doing remote events

Accepted students who submitted the financial aid documents, how long did it take them to process them and send you a letter? Thanks!

Accepted students who submitted the financial aid documents, how long did it take them to process them and send you a letter? Thanks!
I want to say it took 2-3 weeks for me

is there an admitted students facebook page?

Members don't see this ad :)
any deferred ppl still hanging on? patiently waiting for my wl/r

Reactions: 6 users
I heard more decisions "sometime in March" and the email reflects that. The COVID fiasco has pushed everything back, but for sure more decisions will come in the next 2 weeks.

Has anyone heard anything, would it make sense to call them?

lmao leaving all the deferred ppl in silence is mad unprofessional

lmao leaving all the deferred ppl in silence is mad unprofessional
Something tells me they may be a wee bit preoccupied being in the epicenter of the COVID outbreak, but hey thas just me ‍

Reactions: 3 users
Something tells me they may be a wee bit preoccupied being in the epicenter of the COVID outbreak, but hey thas just me ‍
pushing a button can happen from anywhere, but thats just me

The entire school is basically dedicating everything to this right now. I can't speak for what the medical admissions department is doing, but we have been getting all hands on deck emails and the admin is recruiting people from all departments to help. There's a lot of unknowns, including with the continuating of our medical education beyond our current class. Obviously, this is unprecedented and we're all scrambling to help with the response because all of our hospitals are getting a large influx of patients. Some of our hospitals see the most vulnerable patients in NY and those are currently the most susceptible to the disease.

Basically, no one knows what the next few weeks are going to look like and this is a really scary time in NYC and all across the world. We are getting the brunt of it right now but it looks like places are going to follow us.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't think you realize how bad it is in NYC right now. Also Dean Parkas is an ID doc so I'm sure she has her hands full.
Most people even in NYC will never realize how bad it already is. Constant airway codes and rapid responses and most floor units turning into covid units or makeshift icus. PPE shortages for frontline personnel. Tents outside EDs. Proposals for blanket DNR orders on admission. I could go on and on but it really will never paint the same picture you see in real life.

Sinai administration really has its hands full at this point especially given that many are partially still clinicians now being called to full time duty.

I get that it’s hectic and delays should be expected but then aamc should give us more time to decide

Anyone have the 2020 match list?

I think most schools haven't posted a formatted 2020 match list, especially given the fact that the match was remote/virtual. Sinai is dealing with COVID, so I'm sure this is quite low on their priority list.

Here is 2019: https://icahn.mssm.edu/files/ISMMS/Assets/Education/ISMMS Match 2019-Specialty Institutions.pdf

Here is 2018: https://icahn.mssm.edu/files/ISMMS/...n/ISMMS-Match-2018-Specialty-Institutions.pdf

Here is 2017: https://icahn.mssm.edu/files/ISMMS/Assets/Education/Medical Education/2017MatchDayMatches.pdf

Just got the alternate list email. Very nice wording but I’m not sure if the school is nearly as active/generous with their A’s as the USNWR data suggests...

WL, interviewed in January, Deferred in Feb

ACCEPTED!!!

Edit: I in mid/late Jan, deferred in Feb!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users
Caught a WL.
Sad because most of my clinical volunteering was at Sinai, huge connections to the surrounding community, and my interviewers both commented I had a very strong app they predicted would be successful, one grinded me on where else I had interiviews (thankfully, I DID have success other cool schools, lol....)

I know nothing is guaranteed with medical schools but if I had to bet money on which one school would’ve accepted me based on interviewer eval it would’ve been Sinai!
Moral of the story kids: Never trust the impression your interviewers give! :dead:
:( Send a LOI?

Alternate list, also thought my chances were great post-II because I thought it went really well. Goes to show, you never know with medical schools! Will probably withdraw soon.

:( Send a LOI?
I just wanted to share my experience. I’m content with my current acceptances. My experience was similar to the Columbia fiasco this year, being praised by an interviewer, all to receive an R (or WL) later, haha. Whoever said New Yorkers are rude was wrong, they’re clearly way too nice!

On another note: If anyone is actually interested in sending LOIs, they have mentioned multiple times they are very receptive to people who express continued interest, be it updates or LOI.

So for those of us in the recent batch, second look has already passed to my knowledge. Did they do a virtual SL, or have any recordings?

So for those of us in the recent batch, second look has already passed to my knowledge. Did they do a virtual SL, or have any recordings?

they havent yet actually. We received an email this week saying revisit will be done remotely through multiple sessions. The first one is this Thursday.

• Love