MSU-COM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On stuinfo under efinaid, has anybody been able to accept their student loans for the fall/spring semester? I am trying but it doesn't seem to work. Is there a later date we are supposed to do this since it is a bit early?

Members don't see this ad.

On stuinfo under efinaid, has anybody been able to accept their student loans for the fall/spring semester? I am trying but it doesn't seem to work. Is there a later date we are supposed to do this since it is a bit early?

When you go to efinaid --> loan actions --> "Click on this link to accept, decline, reduce, or reinstate your student loans." and then click the bubbles that say accept loan and then choose "click here to submit your choices" the red stars should go away on the left hand side, this means you have accepted the loan.

Is yours not letting you do that?

Yeah, mine was not working so just wanted to clarify if I was the only one or not. I called the office and they said they will fix it by tomorrow. Just out of curiosity, are most of you guys just getting the subsidized loans or anybody getting additional loans such as the unsubsidized (interest rate throughout our education)

Members don't see this ad :)
100% subsidized for Summer.

Offered ~20% subsidized, ~80% unsub, and 2% Grad-PLUS for Fall/Spring. Definitely declining the grad-plus for both semesters, taking the full unsub for fall and reducing the unsub accordingly (hopefully close to 0) for spring depending on how much is left from Fall.

Hey! I was wondering if we get the student discount for buying software like Acrobat Professional 9 as a MSUCOM student? It is listed on MSU for $60.

If we order it online can it be shipped free to the Macomb campus?

Hey! I was wondering if we get the student discount for buying software like Acrobat Professional 9 as a MSUCOM student? It is listed on MSU for $60.

If we order it online can it be shipped free to the Macomb campus?

Yes, all MSU students are eligible to buy the discounted things at the computer store (cstore.msu.edu) but shipping off campus for personal orders isn't free the last time I checked, I think it is $10 or so. You could order it online and pick it up when you're in EL for orientation and avoid the shipping fee.

I saw that the Little Sibs-Big Sibs Program link was posted today. Anyone thinking of signing up? Seems like it could be useful, but I don't know of anyone who has actually been involved.

I saw that the Little Sibs-Big Sibs Program link was posted today. Anyone thinking of signing up? Seems like it could be useful, but I don't know of anyone who has actually been involved.
You should definitely apply. The students are the best people to talk to. They know everything!!! I sent out my form today.

You should definitely apply. The students are the best people to talk to. They know everything!!! I sent out my form today.

Did you email it? Or mailed it?

I agree. I think this will be very helpful. I want to gain info & help as much as I can get

Agreed!

I emailed mine back today :D

Ok - so another question - for those of you at the DMC campus, where are you guys living on campus?

I've heard about Studio1 and would like to know if anyone knows anything about it.

It's rather expensive so I'd like to know if it's worth the price tag.

anyone....anyone....anyone? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed!

I emailed mine back today :D

Ok - so another question - for those of you at the DMC campus, where are you guys living on campus?

I've heard about Studio1 and would like to know if anyone knows anything about it.

It's rather expensive so I'd like to know if it's worth the price tag.

anyone....anyone....anyone? :confused:

First of all, if you have not joined our facebook group you definitely should!

Second of all, I will be living in the Millender Center which is located downtown... I know of a few people who were looking at Studio1 but I do not know of actual pricing. In regards to Studio1 though I do know that a decent amount of undergraduates that go to WSU live there. it depends on what type of environment you want to live it.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you planned on taking the waiver exams for BMB 514 and 526 (biochemistry and medical genetics, respectively)? for those of you who don't know, they just emailed all of us stating that if we have taken biochem or genetics in undergrad and are comfortable enough with the subjects we can get out of taking them fall semester of first year.

I'm wondering if any of you were interested in this and wanted to set up a weekly or biweekly study group where we help each other keep up to date with concepts critical to acing these exams? I have taken biochem, tutored biochem, been a student instructor for biochem and now teach biology for mcat so this is a course i would really, really prefer not to take...cause the boredom will simply destroy me...if anyone is interested in having a "study group" or whatever just reply and we'll try to set something up.

FYI I'm at the MSUCOM DMC site.

Its not just the "boredom" of the class; I assume that you would just have less credits to take. I.E, less tuition to pay.

Has anybody (current first year students or older) take the tests? How hard are they?

Since the test is in August, we would study during the summer anatomy class?

Ya I just called them and emailed them...we would definitely have to study for this during anatomy class, which pretty much kills anything left of our summer. I think we pay the same amount of tuition regardless of whether we pass or not, the adviser I called said you can replace it with either elective credit, physician shadowing or research. If you replace that class time with nothing I'd imagine it would kill your residency options.

Ya I just called them and emailed them...we would definitely have to study for this during anatomy class, which pretty much kills anything left of our summer. I think we pay the same amount of tuition regardless of whether we pass or not, the adviser I called said you can replace it with either elective credit, physician shadowing or research. If you replace that class time with nothing I'd imagine it would kill your residency options.

I am pretty sure you do have to spend the same amount of tuition and fill that space with other credits. I actually was curious about taking these exams as well... but a current first year told me it is a good idea to take the exams for further preparations for the boards. Even if you have a strong background in biochem I am sure it will be fresher in your mind with a course that taking an exam before the year starts.

I have a lot of experience with those subjects, so I'm definitely planning to study for the exams and would be up for studying this summer. I *might* have to drop anatomy this summer due to mobility issues during lab; if that happens, I'll have to retake in the fall w/ CHM and so I'd really like to have a lighter load in case I have to take anatomy. In any case, I'd really like to get involved with some research or shadowing since I don't know the area, so I think for me passing the waivers will be more beneficial than taking the courses as a refresher for boards which is still 2 years away anyway.

Hi everyone,

I just found this thread tonight and started to read through it and then realized I was 7 pages worth of thread behind so I figured I wouldn't bother trying to read through it all just yet, but I did want to intorduce myself. My name is Mike and I'll be attending the Macomb campus so hopefully I'll get to meet some of you soon.

Hi everyone,

I just found this thread tonight and started to read through it and then realized I was 7 pages worth of thread behind so I figured I wouldn't bother trying to read through it all just yet, but I did want to intorduce myself. My name is Mike and I'll be attending the Macomb campus so hopefully I'll get to meet some of you soon.

hey mike...nice to meet you, you didnt miss much haha just a bunch of clerical stuff and talk about the waiver exams.

I am pretty sure you do have to spend the same amount of tuition and fill that space with other credits. I actually was curious about taking these exams as well... but a current first year told me it is a good idea to take the exams for further preparations for the boards. Even if you have a strong background in biochem I am sure it will be fresher in your mind with a course that taking an exam before the year starts.

I think what your first year friend said does make sense if you'd prefer to have them as refresher courses...it would definitely help for the boards then. I'm actually gearing up for a ACGME neurosurgery residency so I have to work my behind off shadowing, and doing research AND acing the boards, if I had one year where I have to take only one science class it would help in at least getting a paper or two published for neurosurgery and getting some neuro OR experience.

Hi everyone,

Sup, Mike. Have you joined facebook yet?

I have a lot of experience with those subjects, so I'm definitely planning to study for the exams and would be up for studying this summer. I *might* have to drop anatomy this summer due to mobility issues during lab; if that happens, I'll have to retake in the fall w/ CHM and so I'd really like to have a lighter load in case I have to take anatomy. In any case, I'd really like to get involved with some research or shadowing since I don't know the area, so I think for me passing the waivers will be more beneficial than taking the courses as a refresher for boards which is still 2 years away anyway.

I already signed up for taking both exams. I'm also familiar w/ these subjects and I would love to take other elective courses or do some research instead in the fall. Whether we take the exam or the course, I think we all have to re-study these subject two years later for boards (at least for me).

I agree. Taking other electives or doing some researches will be beneficial I think.... And more time to study for physio :)

if you wanna study...I actually teach a bio class at MSU EL site now so I'll be there throughout this summer....we could all get together and do a "weekly review" where we fire questions at each other relevant to biochem material. of course we would have to individually study and read up on the material before coming to this "weekly review"

if you wanna study...I actually teach a bio class at MSU EL site now so I'll be there throughout this summer....we could all get together and do a "weekly review" where we fire questions at each other relevant to biochem material. of course we would have to individually study and read up on the material before coming to this "weekly review"

Sounds good to me. Stockraider, r u going to take anatomy w / us @ EL campus this summer? Are u moving to DMC site after summer? I was just curious

Sounds good to me. Stockraider, r u going to take anatomy w / us @ EL campus this summer? Are u moving to DMC site after summer? I was just curious

nope I will be staying at the DMC site for anatomy and all my courses, I teach a class at MSU EL from 7-9:30 pm weekly so I'll just be commuting to teach the class and hopefully have our weekly review sessions once a week. Also, I actually live at home with my parents, I have to provide a certain amount of critical health care for my dad soo I pretty much can't live elsewhere. my parent's house is near the DMC site otherwise I would've definitely picked the EL site as first choice.

Let me know if anyone else is interested on this board and if you know of new MSUCOM admits who aren't on this board and are interested, tell them as well. I'd like as many people involved as possible. Have any of you moved into the EL site yet? How soon would all you interested ppl wanna get this started.... (before or after orientation)? I'm actually willing to get this started ASAP, I already started reading some biochem materials and ordered my biochem book. Anatomy will take up most of our time in the summer so I wanna at least knock off that first block of reading (before exam 1) on the syllabus for both subjects and take the 2009 exam 1's right before orientation to see if my study habits are sustainable before proceeding onto the more complicated stuff.

oh also, can someone send me a link to this facebook site ppl are talking about??

http://www.facebook.com/keelyvoytovich#!/group.php?gid=193173175069&ref=ts
There are also separate groups for EL/DMC/Mac campuses.

I'm trying to get materials together to study as well, but I have a couple of assignments to finish up from my undergrad since I had some health issues this semester, so once those are all set I'll be ready to study. I'm not moving out to EL until close to orientation because I'll be recovering from surgery so I won't be able to start anything with a group until after orientation :(

I took about half of the first molecular bio exam (I think that will be harder for me than biochem) and got half the questions right without doing ANY studying (just couldn't sleep one night haha) so hopefully it won't be too bad. There were actually several questions identical to my previous exams in a 400 level molecular class and a 300 level genetics class I took in undergrad. I still have the materials for both classes so we can maybe utilize my old exams for some more practice too.

stockraider, what days are you in EL? Do certain days work better for you for a group study? Since you'll probably be one of the few (if not only) person commuting let us know what works for you, day-wise/time-wise. Maybe I'll make a Facebook group for us so that we can communicate in one location and also post links and share what materials we are getting/plan to get...

http://www.facebook.com/keelyvoytovich#!/group.php?gid=193173175069&ref=ts
There are also separate groups for EL/DMC/Mac campuses.

I'm trying to get materials together to study as well, but I have a couple of assignments to finish up from my undergrad since I had some health issues this semester, so once those are all set I'll be ready to study. I'm not moving out to EL until close to orientation because I'll be recovering from surgery so I won't be able to start anything with a group until after orientation :(

I took about half of the first molecular bio exam (I think that will be harder for me than biochem) and got half the questions right without doing ANY studying (just couldn't sleep one night haha) so hopefully it won't be too bad. There were actually several questions identical to my previous exams in a 400 level molecular class and a 300 level genetics class I took in undergrad. I still have the materials for both classes so we can maybe utilize my old exams for some more practice too.

stockraider, what days are you in EL? Do certain days work better for you for a group study? Since you'll probably be one of the few (if not only) person commuting let us know what works for you, day-wise/time-wise. Maybe I'll make a Facebook group for us so that we can communicate in one location and also post links and share what materials we are getting/plan to get...

i'll be in EL every monday until june 7th and then every tuesday after that. For study materials I suggest using the lippincott book that was stated on the website for both biochem and molecular genetics. Also, as an added reference and question source I reccomend getting USMLE STEP 1 first aid 2010 edition and then the USMLE STEP 1 First Aid Q&A book. I bought both of these today and they are a very informative supplement to the lippincott text...that and when you use these materials you will be studying for USMLE at the SAME time you're studying for biochem. Also, if you want even more practice, get USMLE First Aid Clinical Cases for STEP 1, it's kinda fun actually because they give you clinical cases relating to what you should have learned in biochem and you pretty much have to diagnose them with whatever disorders they have...pretty sweet.

Let me know when you come here and we'll set something up with the whole class.

i'll be in EL every monday until june 7th and then every tuesday after that. For study materials I suggest using the lippincott book that was stated on the website for both biochem and molecular genetics. Also, as an added reference and question source I reccomend getting USMLE STEP 1 first aid 2010 edition and then the USMLE STEP 1 First Aid Q&A book. I bought both of these today and they are a very informative supplement to the lippincott text...that and when you use these materials you will be studying for USMLE at the SAME time you're studying for biochem. Also, if you want even more practice, get USMLE First Aid Clinical Cases for STEP 1, it's kinda fun actually because they give you clinical cases relating to what you should have learned in biochem and you pretty much have to diagnose them with whatever disorders they have...pretty sweet.

Let me know when you come here and we'll set something up with the whole class.

I did just join the facebook group fyi

I've been reading over everyone's posts and I'm still undecided about taking the wavier exams. I've taken both biochem and genetics and did well in both, however they were a while ago and I'm thinking that taking them as refreshers might make me more confident in my understanding of the material than just studying my old notes. However, I haven't quite made up my mind yet. Is there anyone around the Macomb campus thinking about taking the tests?

I hope get our schedules for anatomy (lab times) soon, and also find out the schedule for open lab...

I hope get our schedules for anatomy (lab times) soon, and also find out the schedule for open lab...

ya that kinda makes me mad, I wanted my schedule by june 1st so i could plan it around work but they always say "wait till orientation" it basically kills my scheduling when I do that.

MSUCOM told me also that there is no tuition reduction. Would you have to replace it? I'm assuming that physician shadowing would be a lot easier than studying!

ya you would have to replace it otherwise its just wasted credit, tuition and time. I'm pretty sure they make you replace it and when I spoke to the advisor she said you would have to take an elective class offered by the medical school...she said we would get the electives list on orientation.

Also, I highly recommend doing physician shadowing for your elective credit..they cover your malpractice liability (important for surgeons) and you could do some real cool stuff in the OR...this may be jumping the gun a lil too much but I wanted to do both research and OR shadowing in the fall which is why i'm trying reaaal hard to ace these exams. If you haven't already, join the facebook group dancing DO setup.

ya you would have to replace it otherwise its just wasted credit, tuition and time. I'm pretty sure they make you replace it and when I spoke to the advisor she said you would have to take an elective class offered by the medical school...she said we would get the electives list on orientation.

Also, I highly recommend doing physician shadowing for your elective credit..they cover your malpractice liability (important for surgeons) and you could do some real cool stuff in the OR...this may be jumping the gun a lil too much but I wanted to do both research and OR shadowing in the fall which is why i'm trying reaaal hard to ace these exams. If you haven't already, join the facebook group dancing DO setup.

Heck yes! Let's do it!

Congrats, In a few short weeks you will be starting at MSUCOM. Get ready its an adventure. I am a second year at MSUCOM(Class of 2014). Also I am the secretary of SOMA, and mastermind behind big sib little sib.

If you have any question for me, just post a thread ill do my best to respond ASAP.

Ryan

It seems like the folks who have mentioned wanting to get together and review for the waiver exams are going to meet up in EL. I'd love to have something like this come together for anyone who'll be at the DMC/in the area and would want to meet up in (metro)Detroit.

Any takers?

Also... a little anxious! School starts in just about a month!

It seems like the folks who have mentioned wanting to get together and review for the waiver exams are going to meet up in EL. I'd love to have something like this come together for anyone who'll be at the DMC/in the area and would want to meet up in (metro)Detroit.

Any takers?

Also... a little anxious! School starts in just about a month!

To be honest, I wouldn't mind meeting in Detroit a couple times if you wanted to come to EL a couple times...I don't know the area at all (OOS) but I really don't mind driving and could take a couple people from EL in my car. Maybe we can try to meet up at orientation and talk about it!

Def getting anxious too. I did undergrad an hour away from home and now I'm moving to a state with no friends/family around... But all the MSU students and staff seem sooo welcoming and friendly so far, which makes me feel a lot better!

To be honest, I wouldn't mind meeting in Detroit a couple times if you wanted to come to EL a couple times...I don't know the area at all (OOS) but I really don't mind driving and could take a couple people from EL in my car. Maybe we can try to meet up at orientation and talk about it!

Def getting anxious too. I did undergrad an hour away from home and now I'm moving to a state with no friends/family around... But all the MSU students and staff seem sooo welcoming and friendly so far, which makes me feel a lot better!

ya if y'all want to meet up we can definitely arrange something at orientation. I think the meeting few times in EL and then meeting a few times in DMC is a good idea.

and dancingDO...i wouldn't be too anxious..Michigan is a friendly state (its weather isnt tho) and there are a ton of great ppl here too, definitely message me if you have any questions about detroit or east lansing..I know the area pretty well.

Oh and for everyone....I'm also willing to give rides from DMC to east lansing...

Last edited:
any dmc kids in town right now willing to meet up within a week or two to do a preliminary review for the waiver exam?

any dmc kids in town right now willing to meet up within a week or two to do a preliminary review for the waiver exam?

I'm up for this.

I'm out of the state now and won't be back until friday the 4th, but I'd be up for this idea.

I think there was someone else asking about this- hbnutz I think.

Lets work something out.
:)

Would it be a good idea to buy the review book for biochem? It's been a while since I've had a biochem class but I still definitely wanna try and see how I can do on the test. Anyone else at DMC considering buying the book?

I'm up for this.

I'm out of the state now and won't be back until friday the 4th, but I'd be up for this idea.

I think there was someone else asking about this- hbnutz I think.

Lets work something out.
:)

Would it be a good idea to buy the review book for biochem? It's been a while since I've had a biochem class but I still definitely wanna try and see how I can do on the test. Anyone else at DMC considering buying the book?

Lippincotts Illustrated Reviews for biochem is an AMAZING text...seriously. Its the one that is required and listed on the note for waiver exams. It has full color diagrams and great explanations so if you can buy it I definitely reccommend you do so. I actually teach a little biochem now but even I was amazed at what they had and learned something. Also, it can be used to prep for the first part of the molecular genetics exam.

hey guys,

since we are all in remote areas, i have started a discussion about the new/forgotten things I learned while studying for lecture 1 for BMB 526 on the facebook group DancingDO setup. browse through this list to increase your understanding of lecture 1, post some mneomics there to help us memorize certain topics or post some more things you feel are important to get from lecture 1. I'm aiming to get lecture 2 done by today as well.

the link to the group is here:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=117245761651012&ref=ts

I did just join the facebook group fyi
Note about taking the waiver exams, unless you have a PhD or have extensively studied medically related biochem and genetics, I would not suggest testing out of it they are a huge foundation for all the classes you have the rest of your preclerkship time. FYI, I was a research in genetics and was published before I came here. That got me though the first exam but the second and third were totally different than what i studied. (What got you here will not get you there!)

Lippincotts Illustrated Reviews for biochem is an AMAZING text...seriously. Its the one that is required and listed on the note for waiver exams. It has full color diagrams and great explanations so if you can buy it I definitely reccommend you do so. I actually teach a little biochem now but even I was amazed at what they had and learned something. Also, it can be used to prep for the first part of the molecular genetics exam.

BioChem Rapid Review is better for the stuff taught in the MSUCOM course

Note about taking the waiver exams, unless you have a PhD or have extensively studied medically related biochem and genetics, I would not suggest testing out of it they are a huge foundation for all the classes you have the rest of your preclerkship time. FYI, I was a research in genetics and was published before I came here. That got me though the first exam but the second and third were totally different than what i studied. (What got you here will not get you there!)

Really? That's interesting because the letter we received from John Wang stated that if we've had introductory level biochemistry, that would be sufficient for the waiver exam. He said the class is geared for those who have never seen biochem before.

For molecular/genetics he said that we should have had upper level coursework (not just introductory)...having met all these recommendations he listed, the syllabuses look extremely similar to the upper level courses I took in undergrad. Some of the questions on the practice molecular/genetics exams from 2009 are identical to questions I had in 400 level molecular exams...

So I'm just gonna go for it. If I don't pass the exams, nothing lost, and if I do I think the review I'll have done throughout the summer will be a sufficient foundation for other courses. Thanks for the heads up though. Will definitely kick up studying a notch.

are you talking about bmb 526 or bmb 514 or both? also, I can't imagine them being too different than what I covered in undergrad...at least for biochem, I took the first old exam and got more than 75% correct cold...unless I'm really just missing something here. You may be right tho if the next two exams are impossible it may not be worth it..

Really? That's interesting because the letter we received from John Wang stated that if we've had introductory level biochemistry, that would be sufficient for the waiver exam. He said the class is geared for those who have never seen biochem before.

For molecular/genetics he said that we should have had upper level coursework (not just introductory)...having met all these recommendations he listed, the syllabuses look extremely similar to the upper level courses I took in undergrad. Some of the questions on the practice molecular/genetics exams from 2009 are identical to questions I had in 400 level molecular exams...

So I'm just gonna go for it. If I don't pass the exams, nothing lost, and if I do I think the review I'll have done throughout the summer will be a sufficient foundation for other courses. Thanks for the heads up though. Will definitely kick up studying a notch.

ya I agree, I'm lookin at this stuff and it really isn't so bad. Also, it gives me an enormous asset: time in med school to do research. impressing ACGME residency programs in reaaaallly competitive fields as a DO is going to take a lot of work and if I have a chance to buy time to do it, then i'm gonna take it.