MSU-COM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, a couple more questions. :oops:

MSU COM Open House April 16th -> is it mandatory?

Class of 2014, Orientation begins June 24 -> Is it one day, or does it run up until the 29th when classes start? Is this when the white coat ceremony is? My parents need to know so they can get the day off from work.

Members don't see this ad.

The open house is for prospective applicants. I went to it a couple years ago.

White coat ceremony is Friday the 25th. I imagine orientation stuff starts Thursday the 24th and runs through Monday.

Last edited:
The open house is for prospective applicants. I went to it a couple years ago.

White coat ceremony is Friday the 25th. I imagine orientation stuff starts Thursday the 29th and runs through Monday.

You mean ends on the 29th right? Or at least before considering it is our first day of class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks bradsh!

Do you have any general advice on adjusting to MSUCOM or specific advice about MSU? Maybe some retrospective advice such as "I wish I had ___"?

has anyone submitted the biosketch info online yet? after i sent mine, it said, "Thank you for filling out the Class of 2013 Biosketch Media Release form."

i hope by "class of 2013" they really meant "class of 2014" ...

has anyone submitted the biosketch info online yet? after i sent mine, it said, "Thank you for filling out the Class of 2013 Biosketch Media Release form."

i hope by "class of 2013" they really meant "class of 2014" ...

Haha I just submitted it and thought the same thing. I am sure they just forgot to update it from last year.

Excited to hit up MSU (East Lansing Campus) in 2 months....hey, anybody know (for the summer anatomy thing) if following each unit / exam there typically are some decent post-exam parties? If not this needs changing.... :D (there is this gut feeling telling me I worry about the wrong things before school starts :rolleyes:)

Yes, there is definitely a party after every exam all the way through. Be careful, after the first exam I believe, they move you onto the head and neck. Believe you me, being extremely hungover and digging through cadaver heads for the first time in your life is a jarring. I'm pretty sure it is on purpose.

Also check the batteries in your i-clicker before the first lab, don't just turn it on, also hit a few buttons. It happened to many people including me that didn't check the batteries and received zero's as our first grades in medical school.

Yes, there is definitely a party after every exam all the way through. Be careful, after the first exam I believe, they move you onto the head and neck. Believe you me, being extremely hungover and digging through cadaver heads for the first time in your life is a jarring. I'm pretty sure it is on purpose.

Also check the batteries in your i-clicker before the first lab, don't just turn it on, also hit a few buttons. It happened to many people including me that didn't check the batteries and received zero's as our first grades in medical school.

Thank you for the heads up.

Oh yeah, just remembered for the Anatomy atlas, get the Rohen (spelling?) it has actual pictures of cadavers and not ust drawings like in Netter and Clemente, also the pictures used on the in class quizs come directly from the Rohen. The drawings in Netter and Clemente look nothing like a real cadaver, nothing is ever where it belongs, by the end of Anatomy I hated my Netter so much.

Oh and don't bother buying any of the other books you are never tested on anything from them except the take home final that is based on the Clinical Orientation book, which can be checked out from the kcc (the computer lab). I haven't bought any books since anatomy all of them are available in the kcc.

Oh yeah, just remembered for the Anatomy atlas, get the Rohen (spelling?) it has actual pictures of cadavers and not ust drawings like in Netter and Clemente, also the pictures used on the in class quizs come directly from the Rohen. The drawings in Netter and Clemente look nothing like a real cadaver, nothing is ever where it belongs, by the end of Anatomy I hated my Netter so much.

Oh and don't bother buying any of the other books you are never tested on anything from them except the take home final that is based on the Clinical Orientation book, which can be checked out from the kcc (the computer lab). I haven't bought any books since anatomy all of them are available in the kcc.

Thanks for the tip, but is there a kcc at every campus, or only at EL?

Members don't see this ad :)
there is one at the DMC campus I am 98% sure

Yeah, the post exam parties for our class didn't really die until spring semester when the workload increased significantly. This is really dependent on if you happen to have some really good organizers in your class too; we rented Club Rush at the end of anatomy and also had a class hay ride/bonfire in October. I think a lot of the partying is just because people want to get to know each other better for the long haul.

Nice... for the end-of-anatomy party I was thinking more class-trip to Vegas....just kidding

or am I... :p

Nice... for the end-of-anatomy party I was thinking more class-trip to Vegas....just kidding

or am I... :p

Most of us will be already broke before we reach Vegas. :p

We might get rich while in Vegas though!

that's the spirit

Most of us will be already broke before we reach Vegas. :p

Round trip flight Detroit-Vegas ~250 bucks, if a large part of the class comes the hotel will be cheap as well (speaking from experience), and if we predrink for the parties we dont need to spend much on alcohol either ;)

We just need to takecare of each other and pay attention that nobody gambles away all their financial aid :p

Just saying... :p

Round trip flight Detroit-Vegas ~250 bucks, if a large part of the class comes the hotel will be cheap as well (speaking from experience), and if we predrink for the parties we dont need to spend much on alcohol either ;)

We just need to takecare of each other and pay attention that nobody gambles away all their financial aid :p

Just saying... :p

I like where your heads at! :D

Is anyone for sure going to the open house in April? I'll be there just to wander around and it might be nice to meet some fellow MSUCOMers!

I have somewhat of a random question for you all. I was thinking about getting a dog once I'm established at in the area for a little while. Does anyone know if we (as MSU grad students) get any kind of special deals on veterinary care through the College of Veterinary Medicine teaching hospital or clinic?

I have somewhat of a random question for you all. I was thinking about getting a dog once I'm established at in the area for a little while. Does anyone know if we (as MSU grad students) get any kind of special deals on veterinary care through the College of Veterinary Medicine teaching hospital or clinic?

I don't think so... I have a dog as an undergrad and take him there and have never had anything mentioned. They are good and relatively cheap though.

Just plan on having time for a 2 hour appointment because they are so thorough.

Does anyone have the information regarding how much of the deposit we get back if we were to attend another school? Obviously, I have decided to attend my brothers alma mater.....

Does anyone have the information regarding how much of the deposit we get back if we were to attend another school? Obviously, I have decided to attend my brothers alma mater.....

I believe that you receive the technology deposit back (the second deposit that was due) maybe $300?

Also, does anyone know if the academic calendar or course schedules are available for the summer and fall semesters? I have tried looking all over the website but havent seen it.

I believe that you receive the technology deposit back (the second deposit that was due) maybe $300?

Also, does anyone know if the academic calendar or course schedules are available for the summer and fall semesters? I have tried looking all over the website but havent seen it.

I was looking around for the same type of thing and found this http://ap.com.msu.edu/preclerkship/?

They haven't updated it for 2010 yet but it seems like a good way to get a general idea of things.

The university academic calendar is at http://www.reg.msu.edu/ROInfo/Calendar/Academic.asp which shows the major breaks and such

http://schedule.msu.edu/

You can see the time slot and location of every class at MSU on that site. Maybe combine that with the classes we will be taking and you could get a good idea of what you expect. Plus the academic calendar listed above.

I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for...

Is anyone for sure going to the open house in April? I'll be there just to wander around and it might be nice to meet some fellow MSUCOMers!

I was thinking about going even though people say its more for people applying during the next cycle. I remember looking at the presentations and thought it may be fun. Any others thinking about it?

Hey, has anyone been asked to fill out additional information for their financial aide package? Because I received an email stating "Your request for financial assistance cannot be finalized until we verify data you provided on your application." but then when I follwed the link and tried logging in, it read "Currently, you do not meet the minimum requirements to continue this process."

Has this happened to anyone else? :confused::confused:

Long time lurker, first time poster. I just wanted to say hi to everyone here, i'll be at the DMC site this year and I'm really excited for it. Also I'd like to thank everyone for all the helpful tidbits they've put up here in response to peoples' questions, it's wonderful and extremely helpful.

I don't think I'll be going to the open house in April. I did go last year while still in undergrad however, and thought it was a nice, generally useful experience, so if you think you might like to go and it's not too much trouble for you, go for it!

Long time lurker, first time poster. I just wanted to say hi to everyone here, i'll be at the DMC site this year and I'm really excited for it. Also I'd like to thank everyone for all the helpful tidbits they've put up here in response to peoples' questions, it's wonderful and extremely helpful.

I don't think I'll be going to the open house in April. I did go last year while still in undergrad however, and thought it was a nice, generally useful experience, so if you think you might like to go and it's not too much trouble for you, go for it!

Well hello there, and if you haven't joined our facebook group yet you should!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=284767105051&ref=ts

Definitely joined already, and looking forward to meeting everyone in just a few months. (Holy F, just a few short months left! AAAHHH!! Wow.)

Have you guys received anything regarding the 2010/2011 loans yet? I filled out my FAFSA already back in Feb but I haven't heard since.

Thanks!

Have not see anything on Stuinfo site in terms of the 2010-2011 FAFSA either.

I heard someone say that it is taking longer because of this student loan reform. Does this mean we don't hear back about 2010-2011 until July?

This info is for the entire university. I would think MSUCOM follows a comparable schedule.

http://finaid.msu.edu/calendar.asp

Mid-April
If you correctly filed the 2010-2011 FAFSA, expect to receive your 2010-2011 financial aid award notice from MSU. If you are asked for any additional documentation, respond promptly.

Expect to receive your summer semester 2010 registration bill if you've already enrolled.

I was just wondering if anyone knows whether or not iphones or blackberries are used much and if so does are they provided for us meaning is the cost of the device factored into our school fees or not?

thanks

Question about the orientation order form: Anyone know if that cost is factored into our financial aid for the summer, and if we can pay the ~$500 required using our loans/aid, perhaps by having the cost billed to our account? Or is the only option to pay by check/credit before our aid gets paid out?

So I received my award letter for fall and I'm trying to take the least amount of loans possible. I saw that tuition will not be finalized until July. How long do I have to accept the loans? I know I can estimate, but I want to take out what I will actually need.

Question about the orientation order form: Anyone know if that cost is factored into our financial aid for the summer, and if we can pay the ~$500 required using our loans/aid, perhaps by having the cost billed to our account? Or is the only option to pay by check/credit before our aid gets paid out?

The money for the orientation order form is due by the April 30th, according to Beth Courey. Also, it states this at the bottom of the order form too. It is something we pay up front. The order form should have a place at the bottom, which you can provide your CC or Checking acct info. She said that it was due before orientation because the school orders the items in bulk.

How are we graded in the classes? I assumed it was just tests but someone brought up the clickers which I never used before? So we are graded on answering questions during lab/lecture too?

So I received my award letter for fall and I'm trying to take the least amount of loans possible. I saw that tuition will not be finalized until July. How long do I have to accept the loans? I know I can estimate, but I want to take out what I will actually need.

I'm not sure how long we have exactly however here's a piece of unsolicited advice on what I'm doing: I will be taking out the full amount for the Fall and then adjusting my Spring loans accordingly, if that means I can take out near nothing because of extra from Fall then I will do so. Unless you're extremely detailed at budgeting, I would be careful on taking out too little for the Fall.