MPH Fall 2014: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, has anyone applying for HMP at UofM heard anything about a Visit Day? While looking through last year's thread, it seemed that at least some applicants were having interviews by this time. Is Michigan still using Visit Days as a part of the admissions process?

Edit: I guess this is specifically for MPH applicants. I see some MHSA applicants were invited for Visit Days

Members don't see this ad.

Question, I've applied to MSPH at Hopkins and haven't hear back yet but I was wondering for those that applied, how many of you asked for an interview? The website says interview recommended and I left them an email requesting one but haven't heard back! Thoughts? (Also, is it too early to call them to ask the status of our app? I read last year's forum and some ppl received their acceptance by phone!)

i got the same email, do you know anything about NYUs program?

I don't know that much about it. I'm applying to dual degree MSN/MPH programs, which is one of the the main reason I applied to NYU

Members don't see this ad :)
Did everyone who applied to NYU get an email from them today? Basically saying they are sorry they haven't sent decisions yet and are working on it as they are new to SOPHAS. I was surprised to get it because I wasn't expecting a decision anytime soon anyways!

I got the same email as well. When I "attended" their virtual information session, the guy said that they had rolling admission, so if you applied before the Feb 15th. deadline, you should hear back in about a month (i.e. applied in November, hear back in December, etc.), but I guess they were not thinking SOPHAS was going to give them so much trouble. I hope we hear back soon though!

Also, he did say that if you apply right before the deadline, it's probably going to take a while, like March or April(!), before you hear back. I guess because that's when they get the majority of their apps in.

Hey, has anyone applying for HMP at UofM heard anything about a Visit Day? While looking through last year's thread, it seemed that at least some applicants were having interviews by this time. Is Michigan still using Visit Days as a part of the admissions process?

Edit: I guess this is specifically for MPH applicants. I see some MHSA applicants were invited for Visit Days

Wow! I just received an email about a visit day! So, there is the answer to my question.

I received an email from Michigan this morning (around 9am pacific time) inviting me to a visit day/interview - MPH applicant in HMP.

Last edited:
I got the same email as well. When I "attended" their virtual information session, the guy said that they had rolling admission, so if you applied before the Feb 15th. deadline, you should hear back in about a month (i.e. applied in November, hear back in December, etc.), but I guess they were not thinking SOPHAS was going to give them so much trouble. I hope we hear back soon though!

Also, he did say that if you apply right before the deadline, it's probably going to take a while, like March or April(!), before you hear back. I guess because that's when they get the majority of their apps in.
When did you send in your app?

Basically why I bothered to post this is to help reassure others. I've got 3 F's on my college transcripts and took 6 years to graduate. My GPA is less than 3.0. Write a good essay, and get involved outside of school, do well on your GRE and things can be forgiven (at least from GWU apparently hahaha). I thought my undergraduate GPA would haunt me till the day I died!

Thanks for posting this and for the reassurance! I also thought my undergraduate GPA would haunt me forever. But at least UNT seemed to look past it :), and I'm hoping some other schools do too! You are absolutely right about the importance of getting involved outside of school. Volunteering was key for me, because it allowed me to really find an area of public health I am passionate about, which in turn helped me write a really good essay. And work experience doesn't hurt either. Especially if you can get your supervisor to write you a glowing recommendation letter!

Congrats on your acceptances and good luck in school!

Undergrad School: The University of Texas at Austin
Undergrad GPA: Below 3.0
Undergrad Major: Biology
GRE: 170(V), 151(Q), 4.0(AW)
Experience: 4 years full-time as a microbiologist in the tuberculosis lab of state health department. 3 years community outreach volunteer for Planned Parenthood. 2 Years volunteer interpreter for a community health clinic.

Applied: University of Texas Health Science Center/Houston (Community Health Practice); University of North Texas (Behavioral and Community Health); Columbia (MPH, Pop. and Family Health/Certificate: Sexual/Reproductive Health); NYU (International and Community Health); Johns Hopkins (MPH, Conc: Women's and Reproductive Health)
Accepted: University of North Texas (12/16)
Rejected:
Attending:

Hey all, just heard back from Yale today- accepted to their health care management program!

Geyz3f- I didn't stay in Baltimore when I Interviewed there, but I think their website lists nearby accommodations they recommend. Good luck!

I got into HPM at YSPH too! Are you still waiting for other schools?

The acceptance email did not say anything about the deadline for my decision though.

Did everyone who applied to NYU get an email from them today? Basically saying they are sorry they haven't sent decisions yet and are working on it as they are new to SOPHAS. I was surprised to get it because I wasn't expecting a decision anytime soon anyways!

Hey there, I was calling NYU to schedule a visit and I was told (this was about a week ago) that they should be reviewing this week and then start sending out acceptances within the following two weeks. He's a very nice guy if you have questions there. Also, he told me that for all SOPHAS schools the deadline is supposed to be April 15 to get back to them.

I got into HPM at YSPH too! Are you still waiting for other schools?

The acceptance email did not say anything about the deadline for my decision though.

Ah, yes, I'm waiting on one more and I should know in 5-ish days! I'm kinda nervous :/

Are you waiting on other schools? What do you like about Yale?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, yes, I'm waiting on one more and I should know in 5-ish days! I'm kinda nervous :/

Are you waiting on other schools? What do you like about Yale?

Yes, I am waiting for one more as well, no idea how long it will take though.

Which school are you waiting to hear back from? Are you leaning towards Yale or this other school?

I especially like the structure of the program at Yale, which is fully integrated with the SOM and the EMBA in healthcare. In addition, you have access to the career services from both YSPH and SOM. It helps if you are eyeing on industry jobs or management consulting. And of course the Yale name gets you pass the resume screening when you look for a job.

Last edited:
Under/grad School: Small Liberal Arts College , PhD from a medical school
Under/grad GPA: 3.57/3.3
Major/minor: Biology (BA) Biomedical Sciences (PhD)
GRE: 158 V (78%) 156 Q (65%) 4.0 AWA (64%) - Oct'13

Experience/Research:
9 years of graduate/post doctoral research in infectious diseases
~3 yrs (with one year fellowship) working with a small non-profit on projects related to public health
~2 publications and a few awards

Mailed by SOPHAS: 11/21/13

Applied: Emory (Global Epi MPH), Boston University (International Health MPH), Johns Hopkins (MPH), Harvard (Global Health MPH), Columbia (Accelerated MPH)
Accepted: Boston University (1/6) with 15000 award, Emory (1/24), Hopkins (2/12), Columbia (2/20), Harvard (3/6, 12580 grant 3/26 but increased to 25160 on 4/23)
Rejected: none
Waitlisted: none

Attending: Harvard School of Public Health.

Last edited:
Undergrad GPA: 3.32
Major/Minor: Dentistry
Grad GPA 1: 3.58
Grad GPA 2: 3.77
Grad Studies : MSc Health Policy and MA International Relations
GRE: Embarrassingly Low
Other Test
TOEFL : 113
Experience/Research: 3 years of professional experience. For more than a year I taught Community Health Sciences to MD students and also handled projects which were funded by UN and IDRF, the projects themselves dealt with MNCH and Nutrition. In addition I was an undergrad research supervisor to my students. I moved on to the Red Cross where I now plan, manage, monitor and report our funded project implemented in a number of health facilities. The project itself is rooted in MNCH with integrated components of disaster management and violence prevention.
2 published papers.

Applied: Columbia Mailman (Accelerated Population and Family Health track), HSPH (Global Health with Interdisciplinary Concentration in Humanitarian Studies, Ethics and Human Rights), Yale School of Public Health (Global Health).
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

With my embarrassingly low GRE score I am not expecting any acceptances, but hey a guy can still dream right? :)

Ill toss my name in the hat, I am kind of a late application, but Ill remain hopeful
Undergrad School: Liberal arts school in South Dakota
Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Undergrad Major: Sociology (Honors)
GRE: 159(V), 153(Q), 4.5(AW)
Experience:
Attended paramedic school part time while attending college full time. Ive been a paramedic for 3 years now, working part time in a small town.
Received a grant from my college to carry out original research on health insurance and access among farmers
Published my research, first author, in a journal that has no precedent for accepting undergraduate work
Two editorials written based on published work.
Completed 1 month internship working with a physician in the Brazilian EMS, public, and private health care systems

Applying to: University of Iowa (HP), University of North Dakota (Health Policy and Management)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Attending
:

Last edited:
got into my first school today... Tulane! Not my top pick of programs, but heeeeey, it's an acceptance, so I'm still stoked. Certainly a sigh of relief.:p

got into my first school today... Tulane! Not my top pick of programs, but heeeeey, it's an acceptance, so I'm still stoked. Certainly a sigh of relief.:p

Congratulations! I hope many more acceptances come your way.

Undergrad School: University of Virginia
Undergrad GPA: 3.4
Major/Minor: Anthropology (BA), Biology (BA)
GRE: 9/13- 165V (95%), 158Q (72%), 5.0AW (93%)
Experience/Research:
- Writing a senior thesis in anthropology on access to women's reproductive/maternal health resources in Southwest VA
- June 2013 to present: clinical research coordinator intern for gynecologic oncology clinical trials
- Studied abroad in Spring 2013 with a global health program in Geneva, Switzerland
- Conducted independent research in rural Morocco on the role of midwives and the state of maternal health
- USAID GHFP-II grant to intern with NGO in Cambodia for 5 weeks, working on maternal health and malnutrition projects

Applied: GWU (MPH, epidemiology), BU (MPH, epidemiology), Johns Hopkins (MSPH, population and family health), Columbia (MPH, epidemiology), NYU (PhD, population and community health), Brown (PhD, epidemiology), University of Washington (MPH, maternal and child health epidemiology)
Accepted: GWU (12/16/13), UW (2/6/14)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
BU (1/9/14)

Last edited:

Congratulations! Still exciting :)

Under/grad School: Small Liberal Arts College , PhD from a medical school
Under/grad GPA: 3.57/3.3
Major/minor: Biology (BA) Biomedical Sciences (PhD)
GRE: 158 V (78%) 156 Q (65%) 4.0 AWA (64%) - Oct'13

Experience/Research:
9 years of graduate/post doctoral research in infectious diseases
~3 yrs (with one year fellowship) working with a small non-profit on projects related to public health
~2 publications and a few awards

Mailed by SOPHAS: 11/21/13

Applied: Emory (Global Epi MPH), Boston University (International Health MPH), Johns Hopkins (MPH), Harvard (Global Health MPH), Columbia (Accelerated MPH)
Accepted: Boston University (1/6) with 15000 award
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
I am so anxiously waiting to hear back from JHU and Harvard!! Anyone else heard from them?
Please did you get a notification for the 15000 award via email or mail

Just got my acceptance to Emory yesterday! Global Environmental Health program!

Congrats! When did they receive your application? I am also waiting to hear back from them, but am guessing winter break pushed back their 3-6 week timeline.

Please did you get a notification for the 15000 award via email or mail
I got it in the mail. There was no mention of it in the email I first received but all the award info was in the package that they sent via the postal mail.

I got an email this past Sunday saying my app was complete. That's about it.

Congrats! When did they receive your application? I am also waiting to hear back from them, but am guessing winter break pushed back their 3-6 week timeline.
I am also still waiting from Emory. I thought they reviewed/made a decision in about 2 to 3 weeks, also! SOPHAS submitted mine on 12/5 and aside from "your application is complete" around 12/16, I haven't heard anything.

I am also still waiting from Emory. I thought they reviewed/made a decision in about 2 to 3 weeks, also! SOPHAS submitted mine on 12/5 and aside from "your application is complete" around 12/16, I haven't heard anything.

I got an email on 12/13 saying Emory had received my application and another on 12/20 saying my application was complete and I should expect to hear something 3-6 weeks. It was 4 weeks to the day when I received the acceptance email. I'm guessing it depends on your department how fast the turn around on the application is. I'm so excited! It's one of my top 2 programs!

Undergrad School: Lake Superior State University
Undergrad GPA: 3.9
Major/Minor: Political Science (BA)/Biology
GRE: 162V, 158Q, 5.0AW
Experience/Research:
- Have been working at a public health collaboration for about a year now as a research intern
- Worked in a hospital for about 1.5-ish years with patients experiencing mental illness
- Writing a thesis on the Patient Centered Medical Home and Michigan med school programs

Applied: Emory (Epidemiology, MPH), Harvard (Epi, MPH)
Accepted: Emory (1/20)

I only applied to two programs since they were the programs I really wanted (leap of faith with such good schools, I know), but I just found out I got in to Emory! I was a little bit confused at first - they sent me a bill for my admissions deposit before I even got my acceptance, but I finally got it this morning!

Last edited:
I got an email on 12/13 saying Emory had received my application and another on 12/20 saying my application was complete and I should expect to hear something 3-6 weeks. It was 4 weeks to the day when I received the acceptance email. I'm guessing it depends on your department how fast the turn around on the application is. I'm so excited! It's one of my top 2 programs!
This is helpful! I had some issues with payments in SOPHAS so my application wasn't received fully submitted to Emory until 1/9..guess I should rest easy until early February!

I only applied to Emory since it was the program I really wanted (leap of faith with such a good school, I know), but I just found out I got in! I was a little bit confused at first - they sent me a bill for my admissions deposit before I even got my acceptance, but I finally got it this morning!

Woohoo, congratulations! Look at all y'all on here, hearin' back and gettin' accepted and stuff! Makes me excited (and nervous to have to wait some more...ha)

Undergrad School: Top 20 public
Undergrad GPA: 3.1
Grad GPA :3.7
Undergrad Major: Economics
GRE
: Waived
Experience: 5 years of work experience, healthcare related

Applied:
Columbia MPH, Health Policy, May switch to 1 yr Acc, NYU MPH, Global Health Leadership, Pitt - MPH, GW-MPH, Florida - MPH, JHSPH-MPH
Accepted:
Rejected:
Attending:

Submitted somewhat late in the cycle. Has anyone applied by waiving the GRE requirement, or anyone who has?

Ugh, I wish! Been checking my e-mail and OPUS like crazy!

I keep checking my OPUS, too! There is an extra link to pay admission deposit but the admission decision hasn't been made. that's quite funny. I think they have that glitch every year.

I keep checking my OPUS, too! There is an extra link to pay admission deposit but the admission decision hasn't been made. that's quite funny. I think they have that glitch every year.

yea!i have the link too but its not in the "to do" section like past students said, so i dont want to get my hopes up :(

It's so quiet this year. By this time last year there had been at least 10 pages in that same thread.

:( Got a rejection from UTexas (Houston). Is my profile bad?
I was really keen on going to UT! You guys think I should apply to other places that are less competitive? Any recos? Help!

Undergrad School: International medical school (MBBS)
GPA: 3.6
GRE: 159 V 160 Q 4.5 AWA
TOEFL: 112 out of 120
Experience/Research: 2 months international internships + 12 months rotatory clinical internship + 2 months experience with clinical trials + 2 research projects + 2 platform presentations + volunteer at multiple medical camps & awareness programs

Applied: Harvard (Quantitative), UNC Chapel Hill (Epi), Columbia (Gen, Accelerated), Emory (Epi), UTexas (Epi), Uflorida (Epi)
Accepted: -
Rejected: UTexas (Epi)
your stats is awesome! don't be discouraged, save the best for the last

Has anyone that applied to Yale for the Health Policy MPH heard anything? I know some health care management folks have heard back but not specifically health policy. I may call today to check the status.

Has anyone that applied to Yale for the Health Policy MPH heard anything? I know some health care management folks have heard back but not specifically health policy. I may call today to check the status.

I'm waiting too...

I'm waiting too, haven't heard anything

Congrats!! My app has the same dates as yours but haven't heard anything yet..:(

When did you two apply? SOPHAS sent mine Nov. 6th and I got an email from Yale saying my app was complete on Dec. 2nd
I got an email on 12/14. I did some digging and it looks like some people didn't find out until March last year for HPM