MPH Fall 2014: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

its_tay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read through ALL 25 pages of the Fall 2013 version of this thread, and found it very helpful and reassuring to see fellow applicants statistics. It helped boost my confidence in seeing applicants with similar scores, as well as gave me a more realistic approach of where and when to apply by seeing trends.

With that said, I thought Fall 2014 MPH applicants could also help each other out and create a 'bond' over the celebration of acceptance and the depression of rejection on this thread. It's about to be a worldwind of emotion over the next few months. Happy application process!!

Note: I copied and pasted most of it. A big thank you to porkbunsrule, who started this thread last year!

This thread is to keep lively and healthy our obsessions, curiosities, and heightened but needless anxieties about our own wishes to save the world and our perceived expectations that others may be "better" at it. So, as is tradition:

Undergrad School:
Undergrad GPA:

Major/Minor:
GradGPA (if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable):
Experience/Research (please, be brief):

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants. Judging by last year's thread, yes we are this obsessive and neurotic.***

Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

***Finally, if you have accepted an offer and plan to matriculate to a particular school/program, I encourage you to start a thread (e.g., Johns Hopkins Fall 2014). Please avoid writing "Class of 2016" or the like. Some programs within a school are less (or more) than the traditional 2 years. So, to keep it open to everyone attending the same school, it may be best to label the thread based on when you are entering rather than the year you are graduating.***

Good luck! Good luck! Good luck!
clip_image002.png

Members don't see this ad.

I'll start...

Undergrad School: CSU Long Beach
Undergrad GPA:
Major/Minor: Health Care Administration
GradGPA (if applicable): n/a
GRE (including date taken): taking it next week 11/14! :(
Other Test (if applicable): n/a
Experience/Research (please, be brief): no research experience (yikes!); volunteer experience: 1year clinical internship of at hospital, 4 months as Administrative Intern in Hospice Care, Secretary of Health Care Administration club, 6 years of part-time experience working w/child development and community service (swim instructor, recreation leader, staff manager)

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants. Judging by last year's thread, yes we are this obsessive and neurotic.***

Applied: (applying-still need to submit to SOPHAS): UCLA, SDSU, USC, Arizona, Colorado, Boston, Tulane, Texas, GWU (I need to narrow them down!)
Accepted: n/a
Rejected:
n/a
Waitlisted:
n/a

Reactions: 1 user
Here's mine :)

Undergrad School: CSU Fullerton
Undergrad GPA: 3.55
Major/Minor: Health Science with a concentration in global health
GRE (including date taken): 144 V and 152 Q (Don't know AW yet... English isn't my native language... Moved here during high school.. Tried to bring up that verbal score but was pretty difficult :( I really hope it doesn't affect my application too much....)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Volunteered at a non-profit for a semester (early breast cancer detection program for uninsured women); Interned with a professor for a semester (CSUF's recent smoke-free campus policy).

Applied: UCLA/Epi (11/3), University of Washington/Epi (Will update soon), UCI/Epi (11/3), and SDSU/Epi (11/3). Submitted SOPHAS on 11/3 as well. Since USC's deadline is in June, I am only applying if I get rejected from UCLA and UW.. because the tuition is way high.... :(
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Good luck everyone! :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like such an underdog. If there are any schools you guys think I should apply and what my chances are that would be SUPER MEGA AWESOME

Undergrad School: UCSD
Undergrad GPA: 3.14
Major/Minor: B.S. Biology, B.A. History, and Minor in Anthropology
GRE (including date taken): 159 V (81%) and 156 Q (65%) taken 11/4/13, waiting on writing. -only a month of studying, got into the game late because I realized by the end of September I wanted to do public health and found out all the due dates were coming up. Instead of waiting for another year, I decided to take a gamble.

• 2 years research on making a transmission blocking Malaria vaccine out of Algae (1 publication)
  • 1.5 -present biotech company research in protein expression optimization for vaccine
  • 1 year Vice president, 1 year treasurer of Nikkei Student Union (Japanese American Club)
  • Volunteered in Amazon rainforest, Ecuador educating children on Nutrition
  • Volunteer English tutor for international students

Applied: UC Berkeley (MPH: Infectious Disease and Vaccinology), (Thinking about applying to Columbia, Emory, USF, SFSU, UC Davis, amongst others)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Hi all, here are my stats. I'm worried about test scores, but I'm hoping for the best!!

UGPA: 3.5
Major/Minor: Public health
Grad Studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 159 V, 156 Q, 5.0 writing, taken October 2013. 155 V 152 Q and 5.0 Writing taken August 2013. Ughhhhh
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 3 years of public health research in a DC non-profit; 1 year of accounting work in a provider's office

I'm hoping to submit to SOPHAS this week, so I will provide updates as I hear from schools. Below is where I plan to apply.

Applied: All health policy and management masters. University of Minnesota, UNC, Emory, Johns Hopkins, BU, University of South Carolina, George Washington. (Let me know if you have recommendations for others!)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Undergrad School: UNC Charlotte
Undergrad GPA: 3.75
Major/Minor: Public Health/Spanish minor
GradGPA
(if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Taken 11/5/13, 148 Q, 158 V (still waiting on writing) Registered to take again in January in hopes of a better score.
Experience/Research (please, be brief): <1 year in current internship researching birth outcomes for group prenatal care model. all other experience is not health/ public health related.

Applied: UC Berkeley MPH Epi/Biostats, Columbia MPH Epi, Boston U MPH Epi
Got receipt confirmation from all programs
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Top 10 public school
Undergrad GPA: 3.1
Major/Minor: Biomedical engineering / pre-med
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Took GRE in June. Got above 50% for all sections.
Experience/Research (please, be brief): ~1 year working a full-time job for a widely-known electronic medical record company. ~6 months doing neuroengineering research during undergrad.

Applied: UNC - Chapel Hill (MHA)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

YAY! I'm so happy people are starting to use this thread! :)

In regards to Cyclo-oxygenase: You sounds exactly like me! I literally decided I was going to apply in late September.. so I'm pretty much taking a gamble as well. I'm taking my GRE this week. I'm TERRIFIED. I figured I would just study over winter break and retake in January.
But keep you head up! Despite a lower GPA, you have awesome experience/research from the looks of it!
I would look into applying to Tulane University....after reading previous blogs, I feel like a lot of people from last year's application cycle got in w/similar stats as you! Just a thought :)

I feel like such an underdog. If there are any schools you guys think I should apply and what my chances are that would be SUPER MEGA AWESOME

Undergrad School: UCSD
Undergrad GPA: 3.14
Major/Minor: B.S. Biology, B.A. History, and Minor in Anthropology
GRE (including date taken): 159 V (81%) and 156 Q (65%) taken 11/4/13, waiting on writing. -only a month of studying, got into the game late because I realized by the end of September I wanted to do public health and found out all the due dates were coming up. Instead of waiting for another year, I decided to take a gamble.

• 2 years research on making a transmission blocking Malaria vaccine out of Algae (1 publication)
  • 1.5 -present biotech company research in protein expression optimization for vaccine
  • 1 year Vice president, 1 year treasurer of Nikkei Student Union (Japanese American Club)
  • Volunteered in Amazon rainforest, Ecuador educating children on Nutrition
  • Volunteer English tutor for international students

Applied: UC Berkeley (MPH: Infectious Disease and Vaccinology), (Thinking about applying to Columbia, Emory, USF, SFSU, UC Davis, amongst others)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

CSU Fullerton! I'm from that neck of the woods. We're practically neighbors :)
Good luck!

Here's mine :)

Undergrad School: CSU Fullerton
Undergrad GPA: 3.55
Major/Minor: Health Science with a concentration in global health
GRE (including date taken): 144 V and 152 Q (Don't know AW yet... English isn't my native language... Moved here during high school.. Tried to bring up that verbal score but was pretty difficult :( I really hope it doesn't affect my application too much....)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Volunteered at a non-profit for a semester (early breast cancer detection program for uninsured women); Interned with a professor for a semester (CSUF's recent smoke-free campus policy).

Applied: UCLA/Epi (11/3), University of Washington/Epi (Will update soon), UCI/Epi (11/3), and SDSU/Epi (11/3). Submitted SOPHAS on 11/3 as well. Since USC's deadline is in June, I am only applying if I get rejected from UCLA and UW.. because the tuition is way high.... :(
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Good luck everyone! :)

Thanks its_tay! Good luck with the GRE! Since I'm slow with mental math the Quantitative portion was a struggle for me, but as long as you keep time in mind you'll do well!

I was actually looking at all the old posts and noticed that a lot of people got into Tulane with my stats too! So I was thinking about it. I was just looking up the Louisiana/New Orleans area to see if it's somewhere I can imagine living. I just need to make a decisiou :)

Thank you! Berkeley is the place I want to go since I can live at home and save money on living expenses. Their Infectious Disease has a 70% acceptance rate and the GRE scores are right around mine so I'm crossing my fingers. But I can't seem to find anyone in that program, or it seems pretty rare. Oh well.

GOOD LUCK TO US TAKING GAMBLES! :D

YAY! I'm so happy people are starting to use this thread! :)

In regards to Cyclo-oxygenase: You sounds exactly like me! I literally decided I was going to apply in late September.. so I'm pretty much taking a gamble as well. I'm taking my GRE this week. I'm TERRIFIED. I figured I would just study over winter break and retake in January.
But keep you head up! Despite a lower GPA, you have awesome experience/research from the looks of it!
I would look into applying to Tulane University....after reading previous blogs, I feel like a lot of people from last year's application cycle got in w/similar stats as you! Just a thought :)

Undergrad School: UC San Diego
Undergrad GPA: 3.7
Major/Minor: Biological Sciences
GRE (including date taken): 159 V, 169 Q, 4.5 W
Experience/Research (please, be brief): (1) several months internship with an ethnic health disparity campaign, (2) 1+ yr public health lab assistant, (3) 1 yr in a disease control unit

Applied (SOPHAS Mailed 10/30/2013)
UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Irvine, University of Michigan, Columbia, Emory

Accepted:
U of Michigan - General Epidemiology (11/21 by e-mail), w/ scholarship (01/28 by e-mail)
Emory - Epidemiology (01/30 online)
UCLA - Epidemiology (02/19 by e-mail)
Columbia - Epidemiology w/ Applied Biostatistics Certificate (02/20 by e-mail)

Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Thanks for starting the forum @its_tay !

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Top 50 uni
Undergrad GPA: 3.40, 3.77 in Pub Health
Major/Minor: Public Health/Psych
GRE: August 2013 - 154 V, 160 Q, 4.0 W; November 2013 - 155 V, 163 Q, 5.0 W
Experience: 1 year internship with a senator, where I got to focus on health policy/health projects, 3 years intermittent working with a CFO and doing financial budgeting, account reconciliation, etc..., 1 semester internship with USAID, 1 semester working with a health organization in Denmark

Applied: The ones i'm positive on are, will probably add two more:

- Boston Uni (HPM)
- Columbia (MHA)
- Emory (HPM)
- U of Maryland (HSA)
- Johns Hopkins (MHA)

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Hey guys! Like the rest of you, I have spent way too much time on these forums looking at old MPH stats. I also just decided to go for an MPH in August, so I'm just hoping I can get in somewhere. Oh, and how to pay for it if I do manage to get in. Just submitted to SOPHAS last week and they already unsubmitted it bc of transcript issues- resubmitted on 11/14. So, we'll see how this goes...

Undergrad School: Clemson University
Undergrad GPA: 3.8
GradGPA (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): GRE.... Q: 156 V: 157 and W: 3 (there, I finally put it out there. not sure HOW a 3 happens...but I obvs didn't have time to retake it)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): summer at Duke Marine Lab as an NSF REU fellow studying distribution patterns of Vibrio (cholera) bacteria- a lot of micro/lab work, other non-public health undergrad research, just started out at a local HIV/AIDS clinic helping with newsletters and community outreach, new volunteer at Heart to Heart International assisting with care kit packages ( they send medical supplies and medication to areas in need- a lot of the stuff I've been working on is being sent to the Philippines)

Applied: Emory, Colorado (Anschutz), KU Med (all EPI/ Global EPI programs), thinking of adding another...
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad School: UNC Chapel Hill
Undergrad GPA: 3.03
Major/Minor: Exercise and Sport Science Major, Biology Minor
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Sept 2013 V: 154 Q: 159 W: 5.0
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Current AmeriCorps VISTA, Former Vice President of campus club, co-coordinator of campus club, over 300 volunteer hours, internship at a local public health nonprofit

Applied: UMich (HMP) and Yale (Healthy Policy) 10/13/13 Received word that my application was recieve by UMich 11/11
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I realize that Michigan is stretch for my stats but the program seems so genuine, I had to give it a try. As for Yale, I feel fairly confident but we will see about that in a few months. I just started with these two schools but will apply to others if they don't work out. That's the good thing about applying so early.

Undergrad School: University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
Undergrad GPA: 3.4
Major/Minor: Neuroscience/Afro-American and African Studies
GradGPA (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): I took the MCAT.
  • Current AmeriCorps -VISTA
  • One year of behavioral neuroscience research
  • One year of epidemiological research (three months of the research was conducted abroad)
  • Two years of cancer research
  • Shadowed physicians and surgeons domestically and abroad
  • Tutor for high school and pre-health students
  • Mentor for pre-health students
  • Various volunteering experiences (clinical and non-clinical)
  • Held leadership positions in various organizations on campus
SOPHAS Information:
SOPHAS submission: 9/11
SOPHAS verified: 9/25
SOPHAS mailing: 10/17

Applied: University of Michigan (MPH: Hospital and Molecular Epidemiology; In Review: 11/11/13), Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (MHS: Clinical and Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology; Submitted: 10/8/13; In Review: 10/10/13).
Accepted: University of Michigan School of Public Health (11/21/13). Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (2/27/14).
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Attending: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health :soexcited:

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Occidental College
Undergrad GPA: 3.4 (had a rough second semester freshman year, without it it's a 3.8)
Major/Minor: Russian and Linguistics, Pre-Med
GradGPA: n/a
Grad Studies: n/a
GRE: 166V (96%), 156Q (65%), 4.5AW (78%), taken mid September
Experience/Research: current AmeriCorps VISTA, interned with Planned Parenthood and AIDS Project Los Angeles, lots of tutoring of high school students throughout the years, regular volunteer work with sorority, President of Philanthropy and Service for college's Greek life

SOPHAS was verified on October 17, BU said they received my application via email on October 23

Applied: (sophas verified october 17)
Boston University (MPH: Social&Behavioral)
Columbia (MPH: Sociomedical)
George Washington (MPH: Health Promotion)
UNC Chapel Hill (MPH: Health Behavior) - still have to do supplement - did not apply
Yale (MPH: Social&Behavioral)
Accepted: GW (11/19) BU w/ merit scholarship (12/2) Columbia (3/6)
Rejected: Yale (2/14)
Waitlisted: none
Attending: BU

I'm very very nervous!!!! Just ready to hear back from the schools and get this MPH started! Good luck to everyone :)

Last edited:
egzzz, you shouldn't be too nervous, a 3.4 as a pre-med there is pretty solid and many schools will ignore poor performance your first year. Also, if your VISTA work was health care related that will make a big difference. I'm not applying to GW for an MPH, (I'm going for their MHSA) but they told me they have a very quick turnaround with applications, so hopefully you'll at least hear from them soon.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I've been lurking on these threads for the past year, so I figured I might as well post now that it's my turn to apply! All of you are so impressive, there's no way I can compete! But hopefully I'll get into a great program!

Undergrad School: Tulane University
Undergrad GPA: 3.35
Major/Minor: Dual degree - B.S. Public Health; B.A. Spanish, Pre Med
Grad Studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 157 V, 164 Q , 5 W (08/13)

- Summer internship with UCSF Kidney Transplant Dept.
- Semester long internship with the New Orleans Health Department
- Research pertaining to HIV/AIDS in the Incarcerated Pop. in New Orleans (on going)
- Medicare Immunosuppresive Drug Coverage Study (on going)

Applied: UC Berkeley (Infectious Disease & Vaccinology), UCLA (Epi), USC (MSc in Global Health), Tulane (Trop Med)
Accepted: Tulane, UC Berkeley (12/30), UCLA (3/11)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
I'm originally from California, and my passion is Infectious Disease, specifically HIV/AIDS, so Berkeley's my top choice!

Last edited:
so happy people are starting to use this thread! :):happy::D

Undergrad School: Northeastern University
Undergrad GPA: 3.4
Major/Minor: Health Science
GradGPA: ---
Grad Studies: ---
GRE: 160V (84%), 164Q (89%), 5.0 AW (93%)
Experience/Research:
- Jumpstart (Americorps) during my freshman year
- Volunteer at family physical activity program after which was hired as resource coordinator
- ^used population for independent project funded by a Northeastern undergraduate research grant
- Research assistant - six month co-op (full-time) at NIH-funded research center for chronic disease epidemiology and health disparities study, continuing part-time for additional 1 year
- Research student - six month co-op (full-time) at a Harvard teaching hospital in Infection Control / Hospital Epidemiology

Applied: (All Epi) BU, Columbia, Emory, Michigan, Berkeley, Yale, UW (Submitted 11/14, verified 11/22, mailed 11/27)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I chose all of them because I have family there (except Washington, but it's way closer to home than Boston is right now), but I was raised in the Bay Area and Berkeley is by far my top choice (partially because I want to go home!). I just wish it weren't so competitive :/

Last edited:
Undergrad School:Strong East Coast private institution
Undergrad GPA: 3.75
GradGPA (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 157V, 154Q, 4W
  • 1.5 years at NIH (will continue until I enter school in the Fall)
  • 1.5 years at medical school as a research assistant conducting lung cancer research
  • Summer positions: conducted research on KSHV, Emergency Room training as an ER Tech (actually completed during the school year, however it only took place for a semester), clinical research assistant for a breast cancer study at a local hospital with a Hematologist and Medical Oncologist, research assistant at a biotech company
Applied: (All MPH/ScM Epi) Columbia, UCLA, Emory, Pitt, Drexel, GWU, Brown - SOPHAS mailed on 11/08
Accepted: Drexel w/ $10,000 merit award per year(11/27), GW (12/16), Pitt (12/18), Emory (01/24), UCLA, Brown, Columbia
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I was just accepted into George Washington MPH Health Promotion program :) they emailed me this morning. I e-submitted my SOPHAS application on September 25th, it was verified October 17th, and GW let me know that day that it was complete. Good luck everyone!!!!

Oh hey egzzz, I also went to Oxy! You shouldn't be too nervous, a 3.4 as a pre-med there is pretty solid and many schools will ignore poor performance your first year. Also, if your VISTA work was health care related that will make a big difference. I'm not applying to GW for an MPH, (I'm going for their MHSA) but they told me they have a very quick turnaround with applications, so hopefully you'll at least hear from them soon.
Hey Emma! Thanks so much for the kind response :)) I have my fingers crossed for you! I think you were good luck because I heard good news from GW today...want to do that everytime? haha

Hey guys,this is my Gre stat (v148 q 155 awa 3.5) (v152 q155 awa 3), I was wondering which score should I send, any input? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Glad to hear that I was not the only one who poured through last year's thread. I waited to post until I was very close to submitting my first SOPHA apps...

Undergrad School: University of Washington
Undergrad GPA: 3.3, definitely upward trend in 3rd and 4th year and well above 3.5 in my major
Major/Minor: Public Health, Medical Anthropology and Global Health
GradGPA (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 157 V (73%), 148 Q (33), and 4.5 W (73). My scores are...eh-I'm not particularly proud of them.
-2 years volunteering as health educator for UW's Health Promotion department. I received a few awards and led some workshops at national conferences. I also have about another 1.5 years of other health education volunteering I've done (Planned Parenthood, University Extension food program)
-2 years as a research assistant (paid) at UW's Center for Public Health Nutrition (CPHN), 6 months as a research interviewer (paid) for UW's School of Social Work, 1 year of research internship at Seattle Children's Research Institute and a grant funded Seattle Senior Center, 6 months as a research assistant (paid) in Health Promotion, and have been working for the past year as a research study coordinator in Women's Health
Letters of References: UW Public Health professor, Director of UW Health Promotion, the Director of my Women's Health unit (UW MPH alumn), and researcher from CPHN

Applied: (Health Services/Health Promotion/Health Behavior tracks) Berkeley, University of Minnesota, University of Michigan, Emory University, University of Washington,
Accepted: Minnesota (12/27), Emory (2/7), Michigan (3/3)
Rejected: University of Washington
Waitlisted:

Washington would be ideal since it would be the cheapest and easiest (relocating, family/friends) but I would gladly go to any of these schools. Best of luck to everyone

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I was just accepted into George Washington MPH Health Promotion program :) they emailed me this morning. I e-submitted my SOPHAS application on September 25th, it was verified October 17th, and GW let me know that day that it was complete. Good luck everyone!!!!
That's amazing!!! Congrats... First one of the bunch to get accepted :)
Im still debating on applying to that program... maybe I will!

Did you end up taking the GRE?!? I hope it went fantastically as possible!
I did...and I did HORRIBLE! :eek::confused::( V: 144, Q:149 (yikes!!)
But I deserved it. That's what I get for literally cramming 3 weeks before.. and already lacking a diverse vocabulary.

It was SO overwhelming.. I didn't even write a complete essay on the Issue portion, and I got a time cut-off on a few sections..automatic WRONGS!

OH WELL..
I'm not even going to try to take it again...
no use, because I knowingly suck at standardized testing. hahha

SO, fingers crossed my high GPA will help me.
Unfair they judge us on testings anyways :(

Wow that's awesome. and a serious relief! Congrats!!

Hey Emma! Thanks so much for the kind response :)) I have my fingers crossed for you! I think you were good luck because I heard good news from GW today...want to do that everytime? haha

Nice! Congratulations! And yes, I will totally think good thoughts about your schools as they are making their decisions about you haha (I predict that you will hear from Yale and Columbia next...). Now I wish I had just done the phone interview last week, but I'm also really looking forward to meeting their director and speaking with some students. MPH apps are so nice that they don't require an interview.

its_tay I have to say that I am SO not a standardized testing person, but I took a Princeton Review prep course and it was definitely worth it. At the end of the day, it's just a test, and if you learn the rules, a few tricks, and invest in practicing, it will pay off. I know some schools require that you hit the 50th percentile to be considered so you may want to look into how your schools treat GRE scores. I'm definitely not saying to stress about it, however, if you do have time over winter break then it might be worth it to buckle down, do some hardcore studying, and take it one more time.

Does anyone know if their application is complete at UM?

Congrats Egzzz of your acceptance to GWU!

Undergrad School: UNC Chapel Hill
Undergrad GPA: 3.03
Major/Minor: Exercise and Sport Science Major, Biology Minor
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Sept 2013 V: 154 Q: 159 W: 5.0
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Current AmeriCorps VISTA, Former Vice President of campus club, co-coordinator of campus club, over 300 volunteer hours, internship at a local public health nonprofit

Applied: UMich (HMP) and Yale (Healthy Policy) 10/13/13 Received word that my application was recieve by UMich 11/11
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
I realize that Michigan is stretch for my stats but the program seems so genuine, I had to give it a try. As for Yale, I feel fairly confident but we will see about that in a few months. I just started with these two schools but will apply to others if they don't work out. That's the good thing about applying so early.

Hey James, jw, why did you decide not to apply to UNC chapel hill?

Hey James, jw, why did you decide not to apply to UNC chapel hill?

Well, I've already spent 4 years at Chapel Hill and while I love it, I just want to experience something new. I originally planned to only apply to schools close to home but somehow decided to apply to Michigan (extremely far so I must really love the school). While in undergrad, I can not tell you how many good things I heard about Gillings SPH. I mean people really really loved it so I'm sure it's a wonderful school. And North Carolina is beautiful!

That makes absolute sense. I certainly understand wanting a change of scenery, especially early on in your career when there are so many options across the country. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Also, fyi to everyone, Yale just confirmed they received my application (was mailed by SOPHAS 10/17), so it looks like they're beginning their application review process.

I also received an email from Yale today.

Emma, which concentration did you apply for?

and btw

Undergrad School: Competitive Liberal Arts College
Undergrad GPA: 3.65
Major/Minor: Critical Theory & Social Justice, Critical Race Theory emphasis, Biology minor
PostgradGPA: 4.0 (it's like, 6 classes, so you may want to take that with a grain of salt)
GRE: V: 162 QR: 152 Writing: 5 (May 2013); V: 163 QR: 157 Writing: 5.5 (November 2013)
Experience/Research: orientation leader (twice), orientation core, Co-chair institutional club for new student programming, student administrator for STEM tutoring program for college students, member of national sorority as well as various positions within organization, intern at private ophthalmologist office, humanitarian service trip in Kenya, spring immersion trip (service trip) to West Virginia, Chemistry and Biology tutor, Biology TA, 2 years in Community HealthCorps as health educator and outreach coordinator at an FQHC (developed and implemented a health ed program beginning the first term), currently office administrator for family company (not health related)

SOPHAS verified 10/1/13, mailed 10/17/13

Applied:
Johns Hopkins (MHA) 10/10
George Washington (MHA) 10/17
UNC Chapel Hill (MHA) submitted 9/9, last LOR received 10/11
Yale (MPH for HPM, management track) 10/17
UCLA (MPH for HPM, management track) 10/17
Columbia (MHA)
Accepted: Johns Hopkins (12/11), GW (12/16), Yale (1/9), UNC Chapel Hill (1/22), UCLA (2/19)
Rejected: None
Waitlisted:
None
Withdrew: Columbia (1/30)
Interviewed: (I know most MPH applicants don't do interviews, but for the heck of it): Johns Hopkins (11/4; met with faculty 11/20), GW (11/21), UNC (1/13)

Last edited:
Accepted to my first choice! The University of Michigan Hospital and Molecular Epidemiology MPH program!

Accepted to my first choice! The University of Michigan Hospital and Molecular Epidemiology MPH program!
Congrats! & that was your first choice, right? Lucky you! No anxious/nervous waiting for you! Best of Luck!!:claps:

Congrats @NeurosciTMS ! I received the same e-mail from U of M today as well-- general epidemiology. Didn't know we'd hear back so soon!

Congrats to you also!...and I didn't know we'd hear back this fast either. Good news nonetheless! Do you have a top choice school or will your decision depend on other factors (money, etc.)?

Congrats to you also!...and I didn't know we'd hear back this fast either. Good news nonetheless! Do you have a top choice school or will your decision depend on other factors (money, etc.)?

Haha yes, good news indeed! I'm still playing the waiting game. I'd like to stay in Northern California, so my top choice is Berkeley, but tuition/financial aid/research opps/etc. are huge considerations... May I ask why UofM is your first choice? (other than the fact that it seems to be your current stomping grounds)

Haha yes, good news indeed! I'm still playing the waiting game. I'd like to stay in Northern California, so my top choice is Berkeley, but tuition/financial aid/research opps/etc. are huge considerations... May I ask why UofM is your first choice? (other than the fact that it seems to be your current stomping grounds)

I have met some amazing professors and people here at Michigan throughout undergrad and also in the School of Public Health. I attended the Prospective Student's Day at the school and I was really impressed by the research that the faculty were conducting (in terms of HME), the enthusiasm that many of the faculty displayed about public health (the faculty were having so much fun playing plague, a game in the app store that they showcased at the PSD), the freedom to customize some of the courses that you want to take. I am interested in the Health Informatics certificate (UM's School of Information is a top school in that regard, but this level of customization is probably not unique to UM), the collaboration between UMSPH and UM Medical School (literally right down the street), as well as with UM's other professional schools.

I also follow Big 10 football, and even though Michigan is not playing too well this year, it is still awesome to go to the games in the largest stadium in the nation. Also, many of my good friends still live and attend graduate school in Ann Arbor.

Money is also a factor so I am taking the appropriate steps to decrease the cost of attendance because I will apply to medical school after the first year of graduate school and I do not want to be in too much debt.

I am definitely biased though. I really enjoyed my undergraduate experience. In terms of research, I don't think you can go wrong with either school. It really depends on fit, and I think UM's program fits me... Good luck deciding on where you go. It won't be an easy decision.

GPA: 3.29, Business Major
GRE: 70% V, 71% Q waiting on Writing

Experience:
Administrative intern at large hospital
Patient representative intern at large hospital
Vice President + Co-Founder of a public health organization on campus
Volunteer with several tutoring organizations

I'm mainly looking for help in narrowing down my list of schools- because I'm not sure where my stats and profile would get me accepted. If you could offer any feedback, id really appreciate it.

The following is my preliminary list of schools and I'm trying to cut down on the number of schools

All for MHA/ MPH in Health Admin/ Management positions

Columbia
Drexel
Emory
G.W.
Mt. Sinai
Ohio
St. Louis
Temple
Boston
Tulane
UCLA
Alabama
UMD
Michigan
UNC
USC Price
University of Southern Florida
Yale
Washington U.
Georgetown
Rush
Cornell
Trinity
Carnegie Mellon
UPitt
Virginia Commonwealth
NYU (MPA in Health Management)

Do you guys think its necessary for me to apply to a bunch of schools? I think I'll have solid LOR's but im just really nervous that I wont get accepted and I dont know how to narrow down the list.. which schools would classify as mid-tier and would accept someone with my stats? Any help would be much appreciated.. :)

Thanks everyone! Also, I went to an information session at BU on the 20th and they said that for those who applied early, like in October, they will let us know right after the New Year. Said they know how anxious we are and they don't want to keep us waiting too long haha. Hope this helps someone!

Any word from LSHTM as to when the application opens?