MPH Fall 2014: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Undergrad School: Top tier liberal arts college
Undergrad GPA: 3.71 (SOPHAS)
Major/Minor: English
GRE: V 169, Q 163
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 5.5 years at well-known communications and consulting firms. Want to work in health communications and strategy.

Applied: All for social and behavioral sciences: Minnesota, Michigan, Harvard, Yale, Berkeley, BU, Tufts. Submitted mid November.
Accepted: BU (12/11), Tufts (12/12), Yale (12/20), Minnesota (12/27)
Rejected: N/A
Waitlisted: N/A

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone who's applied to UCLA/UC Berkeley heard any updates yet? UCLA confirmed that they had received both my SOPHAS and supplemental app on 12/11, but nothing yet for Berkeley. Very eager to hear back from both of these schools!

I applied to both schools last year. I currently go to UCLA. You won't hear until March. I'd sit tight. Good luck!

I applied to both schools last year. I currently go to UCLA. You won't hear until March. I'd sit tight. Good luck!

Thanks for the info, the waiting game is always unfortunate, but at least I know roughly when now. Did you receive confirmation from both schools saying they received your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info, the waiting game is always unfortunate, but at least I know roughly when now. Did you receive confirmation from both schools saying they received your application?

I heard from UCLA throughout the process - the receipt of the application, the fact that it was complete, the graduate division acceptance letter, the department acceptance letter, etc. I did not hear anything from Berkeley until the actual acceptance letter.

Needless to say, both are excellent programs, but both are also bureaucratic institutions. If you don't hear anything, it doesn't necessarily suggest anything negative. Just be mindful that in big public institutions, some do not have the luxury of responding to all inquiries they receive or the luxury of giving notices to prospective students. Trust the system. Berkeley will only likely get in touch because something is missing or something like that.

Under/grad School: Ohio State, Grad in May '13
Under/grad GPA: 3.85 (SOPHAS)
Major/minor: Psychology/Sexuality Studies, Honors
GRE: 155 V 156 Q 4.5 AWA - Oct'13

Experience/Research:
- Research Assistant in Clinical Depression Lab
- Research Assistant in Domestic Partner Violence Research
- Assistant for Clinical Evaluation and Data Management--Psych Services Center
- Counselor Assistant
- Undergraduate Mentor
- AmeriCorps Ohio College Guide--Early Awareness Advisor
- Semester at Sea Study Abroad/Walt Disney College Program (not relevant, but sort of interesting :p)

Mailed by SOPHAS: 12/31

Applied: Emory (Behavioral Science and Health Education: Focus in Behavioral Science-MPH) Johns Hopkins ( (MSPH in Health Education and Health Communication), Boston U (Social and Behavioral Sciences-MPH), UC Denver (Community and Behavioral Health- MPH), Ohio State (Health Behavior and Promotion-MPH)
Accepted: Boston (1/22), OSU (2/5), Emory (2/5), UC Denver (2/14), Johns Hopkins (2/21)
Rejected: --
Waitlisted: --

Last edited:
Happy New Year folks! May the new year bring along a shower of acceptance emails! :)

Happy New Year folks! May the new year bring along a shower of acceptance emails! :)

I second that! Everyone have a fun and safe holiday!! Hopefully this time next year we will all have just finished our first semesters at the school of our dreams!

To find out if you were accepted at Hopkins do you just go to the applyyourself homepage?

Just got accepted to University of Minnesota's MPH (PHAP) today!!! Called over the phone to check when they were going to start emailing and he told me "oh by the way, you're accepted"

Just got accepted to University of Minnesota's MPH (PHAP) today!!! Called over the phone to check when they were going to start emailing and he told me "oh by the way, you're accepted"

Congrats! That's awesome :)

To find out if you were accepted at Hopkins do you just go to the applyyourself homepage?

Yes! My program told me they don't mail out decision letters anymore but instead load them into your electronic application.

Hi I would like to find out at John Hopkins University, if you have waived the standardised score requirement, do you still hold a chance of getting in?
Thanks

QUESTION:

Is it just me or does LSHTM not have an application cost? I clicked submitted, but it never prompted me to pay?... so confused haha

Members don't see this ad :)
QUESTION:

Is it just me or does LSHTM not have an application cost? I clicked submitted, but it never prompted me to pay?... so confused haha

Nope - not unless you request a paper application.

I received an email saying I had a positive recommendation on my HME application at U of Michigan two weeks ago. Does that mean the official offer is coming soon?

Hi Guys,
Does anyone know of a good hotel near JHU that they would recommend?

Thanks!

I received an email saying I had a positive recommendation on my HME application at U of Michigan two weeks ago. Does that mean the official offer is coming soon?

Most likely! I received my recommendation notification about 3 hours before the official admissions acceptance letter arrived by email. Perhaps it depends on how busy the University Admissions office is at this time. Congrats!

Hey guys. Just curious -- has anyone heard back from Dartmouth yet? Thanks!

No, but I spoke with the director of admissions and recruitment in early December and during our conversation she seemed to indicate that they send admissions notifications late January, very close to Feb 1st, good luck!

No, but I spoke with the director of admissions and recruitment in early December and during our conversation she seemed to indicate that they send admissions notifications late January, very close to Feb 1st, good luck!
Great, thanks! I was hoping that they would start trickling them out throughout the month of January based on the following correspondence I had in mid-December:
"We try to review the applications as they arrive in our office, we have the February deadline as a final date to hear from us. As soon as we have a decision it will post to your SOPHAS account. We will try to have this reviewed as soon as possible."

But really, what's another few weeks! :p Good luck to you guys as well.

Great, thanks! I was hoping that they would start trickling them out throughout the month of January based on the following correspondence I had in mid-December:
"We try to review the applications as they arrive in our office, we have the February deadline as a final date to hear from us. As soon as we have a decision it will post to your SOPHAS account. We will try to have this reviewed as soon as possible."

But really, what's another few weeks! :p Good luck to you guys as well.

Where on the SOPHAS account do you see admissions decisions? I thought those were emailed to us?

Hmm...not sure, that would make me think otherwise. What does it mean "it will post to your SOPHAS account"? I didn't think any admissions notification went through SOPHAS?

Where on the SOPHAS account do you see admissions decisions? I thought those were emailed to us?
Yeah, I wasn't sure about that. I think it's possible that she misspoke since this is the first year Dartmouth is using SOPHAS. Their official correspondence (e.g. confirmation of complete application) is not cc'ed in/sent through SOPHAS, so I expect the decision letter will also not be.

Last edited:
I figured I might as well add in my information! I am concurrently applying to medical school, and am strongly considering a 1-year MPH during a deferral year (hence Dartmouth). However, I was very impressed with WUSTL and Columbia, so decided to apply to those as well.

Undergrad School: Michigan
Undergrad GPA: < 3.2
Major/Minor: Neurosci
MCAT: 36 (97%)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 3 yrs research post-graduation with 3 publications and ~10 presentations.

Applied: WUSTL, Dartmouth, Columbia
Accepted: WUSTL (1/9/14)

Hey all, just heard back from Yale today- accepted to their health care management program!

Geyz3f- I didn't stay in Baltimore when I Interviewed there, but I think their website lists nearby accommodations they recommend. Good luck!

Hi everyone! Heard from Boston today :) Does anyone know if schools typically send out scholarship info at the same time as acceptance? And for those who have been accepted to Yale, did you hear by e-mail or mail? (so anxious!)

Undergrad School: International school outside the US
Undergrad GPA: 3.6
Major/Minor: Finance
GRE: V 161, Q 165, AW 4.5
Experience/Research (please, be brief): recently 2 years of public health (HIV/AIDS, cost-effectiveness analysis), before that marketing consulting

Applied: BU, UNC, Columbia, UC Berkeley, Harvard (all for Health policy and management track)
Accepted: BU (01/10, 15k merit awards)

@brittmtl: scholarship info came in the package they sent.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Heard from Boston today :) Does anyone know if schools typically send out scholarship info at the same time as acceptance? And for those who have been accepted to Yale, did you hear by e-mail or mail? (so anxious!)

I heard from Yale via Email. I'm sure schools vary, but I think schools wait to get your FAFSA before determining aid.

I heard from Yale via Email as well.

Also, just got accepted to General Epi at Michigan! Totally makes up for getting waitlisted at BU...

I heard from Yale via Email as well.

Also, just got accepted to General Epi at Michigan! Totally makes up for getting waitlisted at BU...
I got waitlisted at BU too :(, but it was from my second choice program designation in SOPHAS; still haven't heard from my first choice. I am going to keep my spirits up though. Congrats on the other acceptances!

I got waitlisted at BU too :(, but it was from my second choice program designation in SOPHAS; still haven't heard from my first choice. I am going to keep my spirits up though. Congrats on the other acceptances!

I haven't heard so much as a peep from BU, thought they usually send out for an additional essay for applications they like.

Heard back from Drexel and Tufts this weekend! Admission to both! Department of Epidemiology for Drexel and Epidemiology & Biostatistics for Tufts. Let's keep the good news coming for everyone!

I think that Yale is starting to slowly send out admission offers. I got in to EMD on Thursday!

Did anyone else apply to Wash U? If so, I'd be interested to hear about your experiences/impression.
I did! The brown school is getting a major renovation in the next few years

I applied to Yale SBS (and Columbia). Haven't heard anything yet although I'm not really expecting to get in haha. In other news, I got my official acceptance via mail today from BU, so hopefully that's coming for others as well :)

Anyone into Yale SBS or JHU MPH recently (in January)?
I am also waiting on Hopkins for the MPH, what makes me nervous is that they extended the deadline so I am not sure if that means they didn't get enough applications and we will have to wait longer for a decision... I was complete on November 13th, the wait is too long :(

I am also waiting on Hopkins for the MPH, what makes me nervous is that they extended the deadline so I am not sure if that means they didn't get enough applications and we will have to wait longer for a decision... I was complete on November 13th, the wait is too long :(

Yeah it kind of weirds me out that they extended the deadline...not sure if that was a bureaucratic issue or actually because they didn't get enough. My last rec letter came through and it was sent on Nov 27, so its been almost 8 weeks.

Did everyone who applied to NYU get an email from them today? Basically saying they are sorry they haven't sent decisions yet and are working on it as they are new to SOPHAS. I was surprised to get it because I wasn't expecting a decision anytime soon anyways!

Been a lurker for a while, thought I'd participate!

Undergrad School: Big 10
Undergrad GPA: 3.7
Major/Minor: Health and Human Physiology, Health Promotion track
GRE: 161V, 160Q, 4.0AW (September '13)
Experience/Research:
8mo at popular weight loss company
Writing Tutor
Honors thesis project working with rural garden interventions to increase fruit/veg intake in elementary kids
Eating disorder awareness program volunteer (plan/carry out outreach events)

(will hopefully be going straight from undergrad, so although always held a job during my studies, I have limited public health experience)

[[edited 3/11/14]]
Applied: All MPH
University of Minnesota (Community Health Promo - 11/27/13)
University of Michigan (Health Behavior/Health Ed - 1/14/14)
University of Wisconsin-Madison (Community Health/Behavior - 1/14/14)
Colorado School of Public Health (Community/Behavioral - 1/14/14)
University of Iowa (Health Communication - 1/14/14)
University of Illinois-Chicago (Community Health Sci - 1/14/14)
Texas A&M (Health Promo/Community - 1/14/14)
University of South Carolina (Health Promo, Ed, Behavior - 1/14/14)
Saint Louis University (Behavioral Sci & Health Ed - 1/16/14)
Accepted: all
Rejected: -
Waitlisted: -

[[end edits]]

Happy to see some of you hearing back already - congrats! Just sliding in before the deadline for a lot of my apps, gonna be a long couple months ahead of waiting for me!

Last edited:
Did everyone who applied to NYU get an email from them today? Basically saying they are sorry they haven't sent decisions yet and are working on it as they are new to SOPHAS. I was surprised to get it because I wasn't expecting a decision anytime soon anyways!
i got the same email, do you know anything about NYUs program?

Yeah it kind of weirds me out that they extended the deadline...not sure if that was a bureaucratic issue or actually because they didn't get enough. My last rec letter came through and it was sent on Nov 27, so its been almost 8 weeks.
Good point, it may be for bureaucratic reasons. Who knows? Yeah our last recommendation letters were submitted about two weeks apart, so we really should be getting a decision soon. I'd like to know either way at this point.