MPH Fall 2014: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an email on 12/14. I did some digging and it looks like some people didn't find out until March last year for HPM
I'm waiting on Yale for Health Policy too! SOPHAS was sent on 11/27, got an email saying my app was complete from Yale before Xmas.

What department did you apply for?
Epidemiology was the only department I applied to. I received an email on 12/20 stating the department received my application and would get back to me in 3-6 weeks. I know it is somewhat earlier than 6 weeks, however on thegradcafe.com, the Emory epidemiology PhD students received acceptances/rejections so I was hoping that the masters students would also be relatively soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'm a lot less patient than everyone else here. I noticed on Monday that my OPUS portal had a "pay deposit" link that it didn't before and called Admissions yesterday. After the most excruciating hold ever, I was told that I was accepted to Emory's Global Health dept. She said I was a little early and decisions should be posted by the end of the week. Good luck to everyone and maybe we'll be classmates together in Atlanta :)

Reactions: 3 users
I guess I'm a lot less patient than everyone else here. I noticed on Monday that my OPUS portal had a "pay deposit" link that it didn't before and called Admissions yesterday. After the most excruciating hold ever, I was told that I was accepted to Emory's Global Health dept. She said I was a little early and decisions should be posted by the end of the week. Good luck to everyone and maybe we'll be classmates together in Atlanta :)

Congrats!!! Thanks for letting us know!! Do you mind if I ask where you saw the Pay deposit link? Was it at the bottom under the View Admission or under the To-do? I know its a silly question..

Congrats!!! Thanks for letting us know!! Do you mind if I ask where you saw the Pay deposit link? Was it at the bottom under the View Admission or under the To-do? I know its a silly question..

It was under the View Admission Decision link (which still says the same thing as it does before, that no decision is available yet)

It was under the View Admission Decision link (which still says the same thing as it does before, that no decision is available yet)

Thanks! Is Emory one of your top choices?

Mine also has that...hmmmm
Is that a similar occurrence with everyone's portal?

Who did you call? The general admissions office or the ADAP specific for your department?

Eek, now I'm freaking out! I applied to Emory for Epi but my portal doesn't have that, crossing my fingers that they'll just let me know soon so the agony of not knowing what that means (or doesn't) goes away :bang:

Eek, now I'm freaking out! I applied to Emory for Epi but my portal doesn't have that, crossing my fingers that they'll just let me know soon so the agony of not knowing what that means (or doesn't) goes away :bang:

Don't look too much into it-the rest of us are in the same exact boat as you wondering where we stand!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone hear back from Johns Hopkins' general MPH yet? I met their priority deadline of Dec 1st and this wait is killing me!

Just got into Yale SBS today! Not my first choice but a HUGE relief :soexcited:

I called just about an hour ago and the woman I spoke with at Admissions said the exact same thing! She said the "pay deposit" link happens every year and just varies on where it shows up at (the to do list or at the bottom of the OPUS page).

Reactions: 1 user

Wow, congratulations! I called and she said my application is still waiting review by the Admissions Board...yikes! but she said I should hear in about 2 to 3 weeks. So I guess I can stop compulsively checking my email for a while.

I called just about an hour ago and the woman I spoke with at Admissions said the exact same thing! She said the "pay deposit" link happens every year and just varies on where it shows up at (the to do list or at the bottom of the OPUS page).

this happens to admitted students?

Undergrad School: Nigerian Medical School
Undergrad GPA:
Major/Minor: Medicine and Surgery
GRE
Verbal: 158, Quant: 163, Writing: 4

Applied: Emory, University of Texas, Johns Hopkins, Harvard, Texas A&M
Accepted:
Boston (1/9), Johns Hopkins (1/23)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Can't wait for Harvard's reply though but pretty excited now

Just got in to BU for health policy! Good day today

Undergrad GPA:
GRE

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

MPH at Johns Hopkins? Did they notify you through the website?

Accepted to Yale Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases today!

MPH at Johns Hopkins? Did they notify you through the website?
Yes for mph in jhu. Got a notification via mail to check the website for the admission decision

Yes for mph in jhu. Got a notification via mail to check the website for the admission decision

Congrats! good to know that they've started to roll out decisions!

Wow, congratulations! I called and she said my application is still waiting review by the Admissions Board...yikes! but she said I should hear in about 2 to 3 weeks. So I guess I can stop compulsively checking my email for a while.

I think I'm going to do the same because I am so anxiously waiting!! I also applied for policy.. my first choice and am dying to find out! Did you just ask if there was an update in the status of your application?

I think I'm going to do the same because I am so anxiously waiting!! I also applied for policy.. my first choice and am dying to find out! Did you just ask if there was an update in the status of your application?

yeah! she was super nice about it and pulled up my specific application so she could see where my app was in the review process. It's also my number one choice so have been worrying about it since I submitted my app!

yeah! she was super nice about it and pulled up my specific application so she could see where my app was in the review process. It's also my number one choice so have been worrying about it since I submitted my app!
Ah, good to hear! Always nice to deal with friendly people.. I had called Columbia to arrange a visit and the person I was speaking to was quite cold. I will absolutely call tomorrow!

Undergrad GPA:
GRE

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Congrats! When did you apply to Hopkins (MPH)? When was your application complete. I am still waiting for a decision and I was complete around November 15th.

Thanks, waiting is the worst! I can't wait until March when this is all said and done. I saw a admits end of Feb/March for policy in last year's thread. Good luck :)

Congrats! When did you apply to Hopkins (MPH)? When was your application complete. I am still waiting for a decision and I was complete around November 15th.
I submitted my application by Nov 30th. Wish you the best.

Last edited:
Just got into Yale Health Policy! - for reference, I had submitted my app on 11/29 and got the email from them saying it was received on 12/12

Last edited:
Just got into Yale Health Policy! - for reference, I had submitted my app on 11/29 and got the email from them saying it was received on 12/12
Congrats! Still waiting and SOPHAS said mine was mailed on 11/27. EEK...I hope that's not a bad sign. I'm so anxious over here!

Undergrad School: 2 years at a community college; 3 years at my state university (graduating Spring 2014)
Undergrad GPA: 3.95 from community college; 3.5 from state university. (3.7 cumulative according to SOPHAS)
Major/Minor: Biology and English double major
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Took in August 2013. 161V, 163Q, 5.0AW
Experience/Research (please, be brief): One year working a clerical/desk job in hospital nutrition dept., 6 months at a clinical research internship. 3 months hospital volunteer experience.

Applied: (Submitted mid-November, mailed early December) BU (Epi), Tufts (Epi/Biostats), Yale (Chronic Disease Epidemiology), Brown, Harvard (SM2 Epidemiology).
Accepted: BU (w/ 15,000 merit award), Tufts
Rejected: Yale
Waitlisted:

:zip:
First acceptance! Emory.

Emory - Jan 25: Your application has been approved for the traditional four-semester EPI MPH program.
Emory - Dec 21: Your application has been forwarded to your first choice department for review.
Emory - Dec 7: Application received.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
First acceptance! Emory.

Emory - Jan 25: Your application has been approved for the traditional four-semester EPI MPH program.
Emory - Dec 21: Your application has been forwarded to your first choice department for review.

Congrats!! Did you find out via email?

First acceptance! Emory.

Congratulations! Getting SUPER anxious now!!!

Congratulations! Getting SUPER anxious now!!!

Thank you! Oh you should've seen me yesterday with one rejection, and bitterness, and a wandering eye, and a heaviness in my head. #adele

Good luck :)

Hi everyone,

I'm freaking out right now. Everything aside from my undergraduate GPA and GRE are flawless. Please let me know your thoughts. I'm desperately trying to get my MPH, so I can make the transition from strictly event planning and development roles for disease prevention based health organizations, to programming for international health organizations (FHI 360, MSH, PATH, PSI, etc.), and global health consulting for large consulting firms (Deloitte, BCG, John Snow, Inc.) and smaller global health consulting boutiques (Rabin Martin, Global Health Strategies, etc.). Johns Hopkins MPH or MBA/MPH would be my 1st choice, though I think my chances are slim for both programs. Really love Emory too, for either an MPH or their dual degree program.

Factors that could offset GRE Scores:
-I understand that Hopkins is very keen on high quantitative GRE Scores. Will having straight A's in all of my Calculus and Statistics courses help overshadow my low GRE score?
- Holistic Approach: I've heard work experience is extremely important for MPH programs. Having demonstrated my passions and the results I attained while working for each of these organizations could possibly speak more to admission counselors than my GRE/GPA.

Statement of Purpose- Excellent, accurately demonstrating how my personal health challenges have fueled my passion to bring better healthcare solutions to vulnerable communities in developing nations.
Letters of Recommendation (3)- one from the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications, Top 5 Nonprofit Health Brand/Organization in the Country
- one from the CFO & COO of a smaller boutique nonprofit health organization
- one from past professor (Sex and Gender in Society-- ties into sexual health and other health issues) at UNC-Chapel Hill; hoping that helps my chances at Gillings School of Global Public Health
Background: Attended a Top 40 private institution in the Southeast, where I was pursuing a B.B.A. in International Finance and Marketing-- transferred with a 3.94 GPA. Was heavily involved in student organization focused on raising cancer awareness, volunteered at the local children's hospital, and organized my own fundraiser to raise funds for research for children's cancer. Transferred to UNC-Chapel Hill, changed my major to sociology. Held numerous leadership roles for both student organizations focused on health issues, fraternity, and religious organizations, wrote for The Daily Tar Heel. GPA suffered due to extenuating circumstance (hospitalized for unknown medical conditions on multiple occasions).
Undergrad School: The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Undergrad GPA: 3.3 (Overall Combined)
Major/Minor: Sociology, International Finance and Marketing (Strong background; major from transfer school)
GRE (including date taken): Rather not disclose. Not good (Low 150s)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill in Fall 2011. Worked for three nonprofit health organizations in a myriad of ways since September 2011. Two of the three are major nonprofit health brands (nationally known) and one is a smaller boutique. Have worked in development, marketing, communications, fundraising and event planning for each of these organizations. Started an online community for cancer survivors, patients and their families in '07, global reach of 11,000+ members. Highly involved in raising awareness and funds for critical health issues all through high school and college. Volunteered at children's hospital in college multiple times a week. Held numerous leadership roles in student health organizations at both universities that I attended. Will have 3+ solid years of work experience with nonprofit health brands before I start my MPH program in Fall '14 (if I get in anywhere)

Applied: Johns Hopkins University (MBA/MPH), Emory (MBA/MPH), UNC (MPH-Health Behavior), Tulane (MPH-Global Health), Georgetown (Master of Science-Global Health), Duke (Master of Science- Global Health)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Checked OPUS on a whim this morning and got my decision letter--got into Emory!!!!!!! Also heard back and got in to Ohio State if anyone has been waiting on that :)

Reactions: 2 users