Mizzou c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lhmhtd

℅ something somewhere eventually
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping someone else would start this up, but it's one of my top choices so I'll go ahead and get it going.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I always get so excited to see this thread every year! :D

I'm a third year here, so if anyone has any questions about the school, life in CoMo, applying, etc, don't hesitate to PM me or ask here. And with that good luck to everyone in the Class of 2021 hopefuls! :)

Reactions: 2 users
From what I have gathered, CoMo is a great place to live. I am applying to about 6 or 8 schools in hopes that my husband can find a job and i can get accepted to vet school at at least one of them! CoMo seemed to have a good job market for him (he's almost done with his Masters in Ecology). Fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying to Mizzou as well! Can't wait!!

You guys will love it! I haven't started yet but when I went for my interview I absolutely fell in love with Mizzou! Chose this school over all of the others I applied and got accepted to. GOODLUCK everyone! Since I just went through the process, the process is still fresh on my mind! Let me know if you have any questions :).

I just graduated, but am always happy to answer questions about Mizzou or CoMo (although I'm significantly less helpful with information about the city lol). I'll be in CoMo until mid-June if anyone wants to stop by and get a tour or chat!

How much does Mizzou look at applicants as a "whole package?" Are they more numbers oriented, or do they value things like diverse experiences, juggling courses while working & particpating in extra curriculars, etc?
Seems like most folks that get in are in the 3.8 ish GPA range. I've looked at their stats and I think they quote a lower class average than that, but I'm not sure.

Hey everyone! OOS, looking forward to stressing out/ haranguing you with questions/ applying this cycle with all of you!

How much does Mizzou look at applicants as a "whole package?" Are they more numbers oriented, or do they value things like diverse experiences, juggling courses while working & particpating in extra curriculars, etc?
Seems like most folks that get in are in the 3.8 ish GPA range. I've looked at their stats and I think they quote a lower class average than that, but I'm not sure.
I got accepted with a 3.5 and TERRIBLE GREs (145&145&4). I had great and diverse experiences :). GREs are only worth 4% of the total score they give you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted with a 3.5 and TERRIBLE GREs (145&145&4). I had great and diverse experiences :). GREs are only worth 4% of the total score they give you.
Oh please, that's not terrible! That's encouraging. My GPA is ~3.4. GRE is 156V/154Q/4.5A. I mean, nothing horrible, but certainly not all that impressive. But I have a ton of quality, diverse experiences, leadership roles, etc, that I'm guessing not a lot of other applicants have so I'm really banking on that part of my app to help me out. Also my LORs.

Current 4th year, let me know what questions you all may have! May see you all at interviews next year :D

4th year at Mizzou... I can't believe we get to say that now @Rainheart !!! Anyways, I'm happy to answer questions about the school. Clinics keep us very very busy so I don't check in as often as I used to, but I'll still be around here some!! Mizzou is great, I love it, and wouldn't want to be anywhere else!

And side note- I highly encourage you @ImAVet to remain active on the boards. Historically we have a couple SDNers every year that remain pretty active to help answer questions.. Hopefully you and someone else can keep that going when you start here in the fall!!

I feel like there was a discussion on last cycles thread about how Mizzou doesn't want a class full of 4.0 students, and they try to look at the whole package for well rounded students!

I feel like there was a discussion on last cycles thread about how Mizzou doesn't want a class full of 4.0 students, and they try to look at the whole package for well rounded students!
I'm a living testimony of that!

And side note- I highly encourage you @ImAVet to remain active on the boards. Historically we have a couple SDNers every year that remain pretty active to help answer questions.. Hopefully you and someone else can keep that going when you start here in the fall!!
I don't mind doing that! I love encouraging people! I'll try to be as active as I possibly can! I am willing to help with anything I can! You can also PM me!

If you need more encouragement my GPA was a 3.3. They definitely value other things. :)

I'll be applying OOS. This will be my second application cycle, but first time applying to Mizzou.

I just added Mizzou to my program list on VMCAS! :) It will be OOS for me, but the ability to gain residency would be fantastic.

I just added Mizzou to my program list on VMCAS! :) It will be OOS for me, but the ability to gain residency would be fantastic.
Yay!!!!

So it wasn't in my original plan, but I'm starting to think really hard about applying to Missouri as a fourth school to my list.

So it wasn't in my original plan, but I'm starting to think really hard about applying to Missouri as a fourth school to my list.
I think you should! What exactly are you looking for in a school? When I applied I added Mizzou last minute (mainly because they only counted the GREs as 4% out of the total score-I had HORRIBLE GRE scores). It was far down on my list but once I visited and learned more about it, I found myself loving the school and finding out they have exactly what I myself was looking for in a school. It became my first choice and was so excited once I got accepted!

I think you should! What exactly are you looking for in a school? When I applied I added Mizzou last minute (mainly because they only counted the GREs as 4% out of the total score-I had HORRIBLE GRE scores). It was far down on my list but once I visited and learned more about it, I found myself loving the school and finding out they have exactly what I myself was looking for in a school. It became my first choice and was so excited once I got accepted!

Would you mind if I PM you? I'd love to pick your brain about the school...

I am thinking of applying here as well... the idea of switching to IS after the first year is quite appealing considering I have no IS (from Maine). For current students-are there options for wildlife/exotics, whether through rotations, electives, student clubs..?

I am thinking of applying here as well... the idea of switching to IS after the first year is quite appealing considering I have no IS (from Maine). For current students-are there options for wildlife/exotics, whether through rotations, electives, student clubs..?
As a hospital, Mizzou doesn't see many exotics if they do at all. Thankfully, we have a pretty active ZEW club, there's lots of conferences you can go to, and we have up to 16 weeks of externships/free time, plus 10 weeks of electives that you could potentially spend at wildlife facilities/zoos. You can get lots of experience if you look for it :).

As a hospital, Mizzou doesn't see many exotics if they do at all. Thankfully, we have a pretty active ZEW club, there's lots of conferences you can go to, and we have up to 16 weeks of externships/free time, plus 10 weeks of electives that you could potentially spend at wildlife facilities/zoos. You can get lots of experience if you look for it :).

Thanks so much for your response! I'm well aware of how important networking is in the wildlife world... as I have already had a taste of it. Just wanted to know what opportunities were on site if any. I have no problem going after experiences outside of the school though!

How is Mizzou as far as research with comparative and translational medicine?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I had put Mizzou on the "to consider" list after I found out about their grade forgiveness policy. Every experience that I have had with them and everything that I've learned about them since deciding to look in to them has made it more and more appealing. The way they evaluate candidates, the 2+2 system, the residency option, etc. Kathy is also my hero for responding to me the same day that I asked a question. I've been hesitant to apply because it would separate my girlfriend and I for a while, but after some discussion, she's very supportive, so it's on!

I have a screen cap of what somebody said the evaluation process was like:
Mizzou Evaluation Prospective Students.png

I'm using the 6 year academic forgiveness option, so I will be applying with a 4.0 cumulative GPA and a 4.0 last 3 semester GPA. Average course load is 15 hours. GRE will be decent likely.

I'm curious about the non-academic side though. I'll have 1000 companion vet hours, 400 equine vet hours, and then I'm kaput on food, other, and biomed/public health/research. Does the food and other have to be under a vet? Does anyone have any ideas on how many hours it takes to get full credit for the experience?

Does anyone know how one demonstrates the communication skills and what they're looking for in terms of work experience?

For those applicants who might be considering the academic forgiveness route, here's what I have on it:

"Hello M24Ca. The six year elimination means that we count nothing but the past six years. AP, dual credit, nothing from outside that time frame would be considered. All sixty hours of course pre-reqs would have to be completed, or something equal to it, within the six year window. A writing intensive or speech course can replace the AP composition. Literature is considered a humanities/social science for us so can be replace with a number of other courses.

Among the electives are several courses that can be used toward our pre-requiste hours. Stats can meet our math, genetics/anatomy/microbiology are biological sciences so could also be among the 10 hours needed for pre-req. "

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaast question from an extremely lengthy post. I'd love to visit. When is the best time of year to see the town and school?

One last thing for other prospective students: I asked on another thread for letters of acceptance to schools and somebody was kind enough to post what theirs looked liked to Mizzou. It's not super pretty, but it's what each of us is hoping to receive. It helped keep me motivated through a difficult semester. Hopefully it helps yall as we go through applications.
Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 1.14.54 PM.png

I'm using the 6 year academic forgiveness option, so I will be applying with a 4.0 cumulative GPA and a 4.0 last 3 semester GPA. Average course load is 15 hours. GRE will be decent likely.

is their grade forgiveness rules listed anywhere? I couldn't find it on their website. Is it an all or nothing type of forgiveness? For instance if I had some pre-reqs that I did well in that were more than 6 years ago can i keep those and have them forgive every other course that is older than 6 years?

is their grade forgiveness rules listed anywhere? I couldn't find it on their website. Is it an all or nothing type of forgiveness? For instance if I had some pre-reqs that I did well in that were more than 6 years ago can i keep those and have them forgive every other course that is older than 6 years?

It's literally right there in that same post :)

Probably applying here!

Hi, will be joining Mizzou in the Fall! Would also be happy to help by answering any application related questions

In my experience, you can get most of your questions answered by simply looking through old threads! I've also come across a lot of information I didn't know I wanted to know!

So I started working on the supplemental application for Mizzou and I have a question regarding the animal experience section. They have it broken down into the three categories as hours observing vet/shadowed, vets observed/shadowed, and hours not observing vet... how are you guys breaking this down? I currently work in a clinic that has 4 doctors and us assistants/techs are either with a vet or we are "floating" (aka lab work, cleaning cages, surgery prep, etc). My weeks vary but it's usually about 3 days floating and 2 days with a vet.

I always get so excited to see this thread every year! :D

I'm a third year here, so if anyone has any questions about the school, life in CoMo, applying, etc, don't hesitate to PM me or ask here. And with that good luck to everyone in the Class of 2021 hopefuls! :)

Hi,

I am actually new to these forums and have a lot of questions about the application and would love any advice I can get. This is my first application cycle and I have only been in college for two years I am graduating undergrad early thanks to many dual credit college classes taken in high school. I also played basketball while in college which took up a tremendous amount of time. Therefore I have an average gpa and experience level. In your opinion will the college basketball help or hurt my application. Also am struggling on making my personal statement standout and unique. And if you can give me any study tips for the vocabulary for the GRE that would be awesome. I know you are busy but I don't have anyone to ask really so I appreciate anything you can give me with I would really love to get into Miz especially being instate. But I am very nervous as I keep getting mixed advice and thoughts.

Hi,

I am actually new to these forums and have a lot of questions about the application and would love any advice I can get. This is my first application cycle and I have only been in college for two years I am graduating undergrad early thanks to many dual credit college classes taken in high school. I also played basketball while in college which took up a tremendous amount of time. Therefore I have an average gpa and experience level. In your opinion will the college basketball help or hurt my application. Also am struggling on making my personal statement standout and unique. And if you can give me any study tips for the vocabulary for the GRE that would be awesome. I know you are busy but I don't have anyone to ask really so I appreciate anything you can give me with I would really love to get into Miz especially being instate. But I am very nervous as I keep getting mixed advice and thoughts.
Hello there!

I personally don't think playing basketball will hurt you at all, in-fact I've know several people who were student athletes before vet school. It's an extra-curricular activity that could most definitely be seen as a positive experience, as long as you don't try to use it as an excuse for your GPA/experience.

Personal statements are the worst! There's an entire thread of people who will critique them on here, so if you are having trouble you could PM a few of these people or myself with your PS and maybe we could help you out!

There has been great GRE advice on here, I think a lot of people really love the Magoosh GRE prep stuff, so perhaps you should check that out?

Hi,

I've heard Magoosh is great! Do your best on GRE. Produce competitive scores if possible. But as a living testimony Mizzou REALLY doesn't care much about GRE. Don't OVER stress about it(you should for other schools that really care about GRE scores). How do I know this? Bc I was accepted at Mizzou with extremely LOW scores (145&145) and had an average GPA. GRE is only counted as 4% of your total score.

Thank you so much I will go check out Magoosh! I appreciate all the help I can get :)

Hey guys, question: I'm looking at the supplemental right now, and there's a whole section dedicated to describing you Biomedical/Public Health/Research experience. I have tons of experience in other fields, but none in research. Do they weigh this kind of research very heavily? I don't know if I should maybe eliminate Missouri from my list after seeing this.

Hey guys, question: I'm looking at the supplemental right now, and there's a whole section dedicated to describing you Biomedical/Public Health/Research experience. I have tons of experience in other fields, but none in research. Do they weigh this kind of research very heavily? I don't know if I should maybe eliminate Missouri from my list after seeing this.
LyraG posted about the breakdown of the application here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...es-remaining-questions.1189795/#post-17578663.

In short, no, it is not weighed that heavily. Lots of my classmates didn't do research. Some never touched a cow, or a horse. If you have a rounded application, it's very possible to get in with one or two of the fields/experiences missing.

I had zero research experience and I got in :)

I've been working on the supplemental some.I've had quite a bit of pathology experience (900 hours worth) and was wondering if I could put this in the biomedical/public health area? If not then I'm assuming it wouldn't really fit in anywhere on the supplemental?

I've been working on the supplemental some.I've had quite a bit of pathology experience (900 hours worth) and was wondering if I could put this in the biomedical/public health area? If not then I'm assuming it wouldn't really fit in anywhere on the supplemental?

Is it with a veterinary pathologist? That's veterinary experience. The biomedical/research section says experiences not directly related to vet med.

Yes, I work in a lab where the section head is a pathologist and I've shadowed on necropsies with pathology residents and vet students. I should read the directions more closely!!! The other part that asks about vet/animal experiences doesn't really have a place for pathology.

Yes, I work in a lab where the section head is a pathologist and I've shadowed on necropsies with pathology residents and vet students. I should read the directions more closely!!! The other part that asks about vet/animal experiences doesn't really have a place for pathology.

Maybe under the "other". I don't know if that could work or not...

I'm trying to decide if I could put all my hours working in a rehab practice there.