Mississippi College Masters of Medical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Worldchanger36, thank you for your insight. It is greatly appreciated.

Sure thing. Just be careful with this program and what you expect it to do for you.

Members don't see this ad.

Sure thing. Just be careful with this program and what you expect it to do for you.

So do you recommend this program for someone that does not plan on going to medical school in MS? During your cycle of applying to schools how have they viewed this program?

Members don't see this ad :)
So do you recommend this program for someone that does not plan on going to medical school in MS? During your cycle of applying to schools how have they viewed this program?

Where do you want to go to school? What state are you a resident of?

There are a lot of variables to your question.

Let me be out right here. This is a program of last resort OR a program that you can use to get into your home state school if your home state is Mississippi. Now if you gain Mississippi residence then it is possible that you could be accepted to UMMC, however this is extremely unlikely. UMMCs goal is to accept Mississippi natives those that want to stay in MS. Now there have been a few that did gain MS instate status and did get into UMMC however this is very rare and this persons were from other Southern states. Most people end up at William Carry, while some do get into there original home state school this too is rare. Those that were most successful at getting into medical school outside of MS after this program moved on to a second special masters program. Others finished the program moved home and did some post bacc work or some other graduate work and were accepted. However that majority of people give up after this program and go into other fields.

To answer your question no I would not recommend this program to ANYONE unless it is a last resort. During my cycle schools looked down upon this program stating that it requires far too much to be learned in the short time the program gives you for it to be possible that the subject is understood. ( THIS is very true) However once the program is complete some schools ( LSU, Tulane, FSU, USF, UCF, FAU and others) will look favorably on it if you are continue to better your academics by at least getting a 3.5 in the program and starting another program with more weight. It is more of a test of how bad you want it then anything else.

I advice you look into stronger programs such as ones that have there own medical school before you think about applying here.

Let me be out right here. This is a program of last resort OR a program that you can use to get into your home state school if your home state is Mississippi. Now if you gain Mississippi residence then it is possible that you could be accepted to UMMC, however this is extremely unlikely. UMMCs goal is to accept Mississippi natives those that want to stay in MS. Now there have been a few that did gain MS instate status and did get into UMMC however this is very rare and this persons were from other Southern states. Most people end up at William Carry, while some do get into there original home state school this too is rare. Those that were most successful at getting into medical school outside of MS after this program moved on to a second special masters program. Others finished the program moved home and did some post bacc work or some other graduate work and were accepted. However that majority of people give up after this program and go into other fields.

To answer your question no I would not recommend this program to ANYONE unless it is a last resort. During my cycle schools looked down upon this program stating that it requires far too much to be learned in the short time the program gives you for it to be possible that the subject is understood. ( THIS is very true) However once the program is complete some schools ( LSU, Tulane, FSU, USF, UCF, FAU and others) will look favorably on it if you are continue to better your academics by at least getting a 3.5 in the program and starting another program with more weight. It is more of a test of how bad you want it then anything else.

I advice you look into stronger programs such as ones that have there own medical school before you think about applying here.

Thanks. I have friends that are in the program now and they have nothing but positive things to say. They are dental so I just wanted to see what others in the program thought esp a medical tract individual. If you do not mind me asking, why did you stay if you do not feel like it was worth it?

Thanks. I have friends that are in the program now and they have nothing but positive things to say. They are dental so I just wanted to see what others in the program thought esp a medical tract individual. If you do not mind me asking, why did you stay if you do not feel like it was worth it?

The world of dental is vastly different. They see great results. I am not surprised they have such great things to say. For medical the results are not so good. Why did i stay? I have to. If I just drop this program that would do huge amounts of damage to my future application. If I finish it will be some what helpful and it is being helpful at getting me into other smps. This program is great and getting a person ready for med school but not so great at getting people into medical school. When I am done here I will move on to another masters program and then hopefully medical school. If you can get into other programs you should but if not this isnt a bad place to start it just isn't the best. Feel free to scroll back and read some of my earlier posts on here you may find them and some others helpful.

I dunno. I've met several people that are graduating this semester who did VERY well in the program and have landed several interviews (some not even in their home state) and a few acceptances. I think your perspective, level of academic endurance, and how serious you take the program have a lot to do with your success. It seems that everyone who has done well (3.5+ GPA) has gotten into at least one medical school. And there is a high success rate of admission into LSU-New Orleans and some with Tulane. Just come into the program ready to work really hard. I have faith in the program and am a full believer in things will be as great as you make them to be. So don't come in with a negative attitude. I know it's hard because you've reached Plan B, C, or D and med school admissions aren't working out how you wanted them to. But be positive, work hard, and everything will work out!

I dunno. I've met several people that are graduating this semester who did VERY well in the program and have landed several interviews (some not even in their home state) and a few acceptances. I think your perspective, level of academic endurance, and how serious you take the program have a lot to do with your success. It seems that everyone who has done well (3.5+ GPA) has gotten into at least one medical school. And there is a high success rate of admission into LSU-New Orleans and some with Tulane. Just come into the program ready to work really hard. I have faith in the program and am a full believer in things will be as great as you make them to be. So don't come in with a negative attitude. I know it's hard because you've reached Plan B, C, or D and med school admissions aren't working out how you wanted them to. But be positive, work hard, and everything will work out!

Last year was MCs most successful year to date in this program. However there is something you may want to take into account and others looking into this program need to take into account. MC posts where their graduates go right on the website and some are on the wall at Hederman. Last year from our program there were about 70 graduates, which is a little under a class size so not too bad right. 33 out of those 70 went to a Mississippi school either MCC or WC. That is about half of the graduates. About 15 got into out of state schools which again is not bad but if you look a little bit deeper of those 15 only 5 were not URM. About another 5 ended up in the Caribbean and another 10 were not able to gain admissions to a medical school so they change into another field and finally 2 went to another SMP. About 25% were successful at getting into an out of Mississippi MD school and two third of them are URM. Now if you want to say the success rate is determined based on how many got into a US MD school you are still only looking at about 34 out of 70 again about half. For the sake of argument less just say success rate is based on ANY US MED school then you have about 49 out of 70, a 70% success rate at graduation. This is their best year. Every year after this is much worse.

Now you went to the Grad party and were most likely chatting it up with alot of different people so I don't know if these people have gotten into LSU-NO or Tulane or how many there were. You could be right and maybe 2012 is going to be even more successful then 2011. I sure hope so because I am in the MC boat but I think we should be objective to the outside observers so they can make a good decision.

Anyway I stand by my statement, if you are not from Mississippi the probability that this program will get you into medical school is slim. You dont have to take my word for it look it up for yourselves just keep in mind they mix undergrads, and other Bio masters in their too.

Figuring that only about 25% of the people get A's in each 5 hour class (exception Reiken), those numbers seem pretty accurate and appropriate.

Well I did get the info for the MC site so I hope it is accurate.

I was actually implying that the majority of people who do well in the program essentially get into a professional program lol

I was actually implying that the majority of people who do well in the program essentially get into a professional program lol

Well yeah they do. However that majority seems to drop as you add in other factors and not only that 2011 was a great year for MC. If they can keep it up that would be great but I have my doubts. This cycle was not very friendly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well yeah they do. However that majority seems to drop as you add in other factors and not only that 2011 was a great year for MC. If they can keep it up that would be great but I have my doubts. This cycle was not very friendly.

This cycle is only half way through, can't make judgments yet. I even saw them add more pictures to last years cycle midway through last semester.

Why even go to an SMP if your goal is not to make A's? Isn't that the point? You have to prove that you are worthy of med school. This is your hazing. You either rise to the occasion or find a different career. I am so sick of the negativity. I fully think that admission boards can sense that negativity through an application. Worldchanger, you have a great MCAT score and you implied that you did pretty well in the program, do you think that there could be another reason you aren't getting accepted? I know I have contacted several schools in Florida and all have said that this is a suitable program for increasing GPA and proving academic prowess. Sorry if this came across harsh, it's not intended to be. But just because you aren't seeing the results you want doesn't mean that others are having the same fate.

Why even go to an SMP if your goal is not to make A's? Isn't that the point? You have to prove that you are worthy of med school. This is your hazing. You either rise to the occasion or find a different career. I am so sick of the negativity. I fully think that admission boards can sense that negativity through an application. Worldchanger, you have a great MCAT score and you implied that you did pretty well in the program, do you think that there could be another reason you aren't getting accepted? I know I have contacted several schools in Florida and all have said that this is a suitable program for increasing GPA and proving academic prowess. Sorry if this came across harsh, it's not intended to be. But just because you aren't seeing the results you want doesn't mean that others are having the same fate.

At this stage in the game most are trying to get the best grades possible those that dont are usually pushed out. This is a mix of reasons why my app was shut down and yes this program is part of the reason at a few schools. LECOM did even count it as a post bacc for whatever reason. You seem to be missing the point of this forum. If you are having a great time and the program is hooking you up with all kinds of things post about it. I post about the same things and so far the program has been more negative then positive for me. I also post facts about what is happening to me and what the programs results are. For any out of stater this program is a last resort. For some it works out and this is good. I am pretty sure combined with another program I will be able to get into a med school this up coming round. I and one other person are the only people posting the minus to this program and i don't sugar coat it.

I will be applying here for either Fall 2013 or Spring 2014. I will be applying DO as they use retakes for grades. Here is a bit about me.

Univ. of Pittsburgh
BS Natural Sciences
cGPA: 2.7 (per AACOMAS)
sGPA: 3.0 (per AACOMAS)
MCAT: 30
8 years in EMS (Paramedic)
3 years in ED setting
Trauma Education Liaison (Educate staff on aspects of Trauma in the ED)
ESI Triage Coordinator (for ED)
Worked with admin and medical staff to develop Level II Trauma center
Numerous leadership positions
Volunteer work
Non-science internship
Paramedic course instructor
Paramedic student preceptor

I don't know if I should apply to this program or maybe retake some courses and try to get everything up to a 3.0 average and then apply.

I will be applying here for either Fall 2013 or Spring 2014. I will be applying DO as they use retakes for grades. Here is a bit about me.

Univ. of Pittsburgh
BS Natural Sciences
cGPA: 2.7 (per AACOMAS)
sGPA: 3.0 (per AACOMAS)
MCAT: 30
8 years in EMS (Paramedic)
3 years in ED setting
Trauma Education Liaison (Educate staff on aspects of Trauma in the ED)
ESI Triage Coordinator (for ED)
Worked with admin and medical staff to develop Level II Trauma center
Numerous leadership positions
Volunteer work
Non-science internship
Paramedic course instructor
Paramedic student preceptor

I don't know if I should apply to this program or maybe retake some courses and try to get everything up to a 3.0 average and then apply.

You will need quite a bit more then just this program with grades like that. This program is very difficult and it eats people all the time. Not only that if you are not a resident of Mississippi you are going to find the benefits minimal at best. I am using the program as a boost to get into another stronger program and so far the results are looking ok. From experience most DO schools won't care ( or worse frown upon) about this program until you have at least 3 of the 5 hour course completed with grades of Bs or higher. Big reason for this is most DO school have there own programs and to be honest they have great track records, MC is just now starting to see good results. If you are interested in DO school try first these programs: PCOM's masters, LECOM post bacc, VCOM post bacc, KCUMB masters in biomedical science, Midwesterns ( CCOM and AZCOM) masters in biomedical science and NOVAs Two year biomedical masters. IF you get nothing from any of those programs and still think you should give MC a shot then give it a roll. If you do come this way, Be warned.... this program is very very intensive and with your grades I would not attempt more then 9 credit hours per semester and no more then one 5 hour class not starting with any of Baldwin's classes.

Now before my detractors jump on me again I just want to give a heads up, this graduating year maybe the biggest success rate at MC so far. Alot more people are seeing good interviews at out of Mississippi MD schools. Now most of these are the applicants home state but this could be a starting trend. Not only that MC will be offering a huge 8 hour gross anatomy and dissection class, the guinea pig class is in there now and they for the most part seem happy but overworked. Yep they dissect real cadavers so it is a big deal. So keep that in mind. If you come here prepare to surrender 12 hours every day to study, with no days off, no bars to party at, and next to no food to eat. This will be at least a year of the worst study pain you have ever felt and in the end you may still have to do another SMP or masters program to get into medical school. Some people are very happy here, some find it ends all hope for medical school and some use it as step one of two to get into medical school.

Hope this helps.

Dang it, I hit something and it erased what I put but I'll give you the quick and dirty of what I typed previously:

1) This program isn't as bad as WorldChanger36 says. I personally have done pretty well and after one semester have heard back and received a few interviews.
1a) Random anecdote, a friend of my graduated from this program recently, and when he interviewed at his school of choice, he was told that he did so well (3.75) at a tough program, that it counterbalanced his undergrad GPA and that the latter GPA would be overlooked.
2) This program isn't a last resort or a stepping stone unless you make it so. This can be your time to shine and to prove yourself worthy of the M.D. or D.M.D. because as of right now, we haven't.
3) It's not fair to judge this program on it's graduates just yet, because they have not rejected anyone who has met the listed qualifications. Last time I talked with Dr. Baldwin about this, he said this coming fall will be the first time they have to actually reject applicants because the numbers are increasing dramatically every year.
4) The SHELF may be only standardized to the state of MS, but if you do well, it's still proof that you are improving and getting ready, if not ready. I would rather go to a school that offers the SHELF than a school that doesn't because then at least you have some kind of bar to see how you did. WorldChanger36, I'm curious to know how you did on your SHELF exams?
5) In addition to doing well and showing on paper that you're ready to tackle med or dental school, the interview process is all about presenting yourself. There could be a number of factors that stop you from getting into a program. If this program was as bad as WorldChanger36 made it out to be, he wouldn't have been invited to interview at said programs.
6) The one thing I do agree with WorldChanger36 on is that this program is tough. It's not for the faint of heart or the weak of will. There will not be someone here to walk you through anything, except for the T.A.s, and unless you show up to work, you won't benefit at all. If you come here with the goal of making B's, or getting into another master's program or SMP and not getting into med school, you have already set yourself up to take longer.
7) The other things that WorldChanger36 talked about (social life, places to eat, etc.), it's all his own perspective. Yes the town of Clinton is pretty bad, but a short 20 minute drive leads you to some of the greatest food I've ever had. Char is nationally awarded for their deserts and steaks, Julep is also very delicious. La Guadalupe in Ridgeland is AMAZING Mexican food, even though the building looks run down. I feel as though WorldChanger36 is having a bad time here for whatever reason, but I for one and the general population in the graduate program are having a great time, learning a lot, and even growing as adults and students. Yes the night life is a little...small town, but in the end if you find a good group of friends, it's as fun as you want it to be. I can't speak for WorldChanger, but this place is just like any other except everything is 15-25 minutes away.
8) If you come into this program thinking it's going to suck, then it's going to suck. But if you come into this program as a way to prove to everyone and yourself that you're worthy of a spot at an MD school or a DDS/DMD school, then it's completely worth it.
9) Also...one last thing...I wouldn't put too much stake on a guy that seems to spend his entire day on a forum when he should be studying to make A's. I personally know of 3 of my best friends here who are TA's and basically the leading students here and they don't have the time to post. I only post because a personal friend of mine from home asked me some questions and to the validity of WorldChanger's responses. I thought people should hear from more than 1 person. The thread on this program has been dominated by one person who can't seem the understand the difference between than and then and basic proper grammar and I feel he has left an unfair and negatively biased opinion.
10) Also, one last thing, this program is set up for the 5 hours to kick your butt and then the other classes, with the exception of Endo/G.I., to help you buffer that out. That being said, don't take those for granted because you will still have to work. If you work hard and leave all your Netflix and Hulu stuff behind, you'll do fine, and you'll have a Friday or Saturday to relax a bit. I would say the safe bet is to go along with the plan of the graduate program. Graduate within a calendar year and stagger your classes to succeed. I don't necessarily agree with the max of 9 hours because plenty of people do much more and still make straight A's. Just set yourself up to succeed and no one can tell you how to do that except yourself. If your require any help, it would be good to ask Dr. Baldwin. He's pretty quick to respond and won't lie to you about the courses.

I hope this helps the people trying to find out more about this program. This will probably be the only post I write, but if you guys have questions, feel free to message me on here. I'm not sure if I'll be able to respond promptly or very frequently but I'll do my best as I'm taking 2 5 hours this semester.

Dang it, I hit something and it erased what I put but I'll give you the quick and dirty of what I typed previously:

1) This program isn't as bad as WorldChanger36 says. I personally have done pretty well and after one semester have heard back and received a few interviews.
1a) Random anecdote, a friend of my graduated from this program recently, and when he interviewed at his school of choice, he was told that he did so well (3.75) at a tough program, that it counterbalanced his undergrad GPA and that the latter GPA would be overlooked.
2) This program isn't a last resort or a stepping stone unless you make it so. This can be your time to shine and to prove yourself worthy of the M.D. or D.M.D. because as of right now, we haven't.
3) It's not fair to judge this program on it's graduates just yet, because they have not rejected anyone who has met the listed qualifications. Last time I talked with Dr. Baldwin about this, he said this coming fall will be the first time they have to actually reject applicants because the numbers are increasing dramatically every year.
4) The SHELF may be only standardized to the state of MS, but if you do well, it's still proof that you are improving and getting ready, if not ready. I would rather go to a school that offers the SHELF than a school that doesn't because then at least you have some kind of bar to see how you did. WorldChanger36, I'm curious to know how you did on your SHELF exams?
5) In addition to doing well and showing on paper that you're ready to tackle med or dental school, the interview process is all about presenting yourself. There could be a number of factors that stop you from getting into a program. If this program was as bad as WorldChanger36 made it out to be, he wouldn't have been invited to interview at said programs.
6) The one thing I do agree with WorldChanger36 on is that this program is tough. It's not for the faint of heart or the weak of will. There will not be someone here to walk you through anything, except for the T.A.s, and unless you show up to work, you won't benefit at all. If you come here with the goal of making B's, or getting into another master's program or SMP and not getting into med school, you have already set yourself up to take longer.
7) The other things that WorldChanger36 talked about (social life, places to eat, etc.), it's all his own perspective. Yes the town of Clinton is pretty bad, but a short 20 minute drive leads you to some of the greatest food I've ever had. Char is nationally awarded for their deserts and steaks, Julep is also very delicious. La Guadalupe in Ridgeland is AMAZING Mexican food, even though the building looks run down. I feel as though WorldChanger36 is having a bad time here for whatever reason, but I for one and the general population in the graduate program are having a great time, learning a lot, and even growing as adults and students. Yes the night life is a little...small town, but in the end if you find a good group of friends, it's as fun as you want it to be. I can't speak for WorldChanger, but this place is just like any other except everything is 15-25 minutes away.
8) If you come into this program thinking it's going to suck, then it's going to suck. But if you come into this program as a way to prove to everyone and yourself that you're worthy of a spot at an MD school or a DDS/DMD school, then it's completely worth it.
9) Also...one last thing...I wouldn't put too much stake on a guy that seems to spend his entire day on a forum when he should be studying to make A's. I personally know of 3 of my best friends here who are TA's and basically the leading students here and they don't have the time to post. I only post because a personal friend of mine from home asked me some questions and to the validity of WorldChanger's responses. I thought people should hear from more than 1 person. The thread on this program has been dominated by one person who can't seem the understand the difference between than and then and basic proper grammar and I feel he has left an unfair and negatively biased opinion.
10) Also, one last thing, this program is set up for the 5 hours to kick your butt and then the other classes, with the exception of Endo/G.I., to help you buffer that out. That being said, don't take those for granted because you will still have to work. If you work hard and leave all your Netflix and Hulu stuff behind, you'll do fine, and you'll have a Friday or Saturday to relax a bit. I would say the safe bet is to go along with the plan of the graduate program. Graduate within a calendar year and stagger your classes to succeed. I don't necessarily agree with the max of 9 hours because plenty of people do much more and still make straight A's. Just set yourself up to succeed and no one can tell you how to do that except yourself. If your require any help, it would be good to ask Dr. Baldwin. He's pretty quick to respond and won't lie to you about the courses.

I hope this helps the people trying to find out more about this program. This will probably be the only post I write, but if you guys have questions, feel free to message me on here. I'm not sure if I'll be able to respond promptly or very frequently but I'll do my best as I'm taking 2 5 hours this semester.

I am just going to point out that this program is really great for dental school. Its results are excellent. Medical school is a different story, selection for dental school and medical school are very different so unless you are interviewing at med schools I don't see how your interviews reflect for the pre-meders. Minus your personal jabs at me, thanks for your input. There are a lot of pre dents that I and many can't relate to in regards to this program. Think about staying and posting every now and then.

WorldChanger36,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I have taken the time to read through this entire thread and you seem to be a bit torn on the program. There seems to a general consensus that this program has minimal admission requirements but the work load is significant. Basically it comes across that this program gives those with moderate undergraduate deficiencies a chance to show they can handle the rigors of medical education. In fact, the program may be the only option for certain folks that could not get into other SMP.

I have taken time to investigate other SMP specifically ones associated with DO schools. I will apply to roughly five of them but there is a good chance I may not be accepted. So MC comes into play. I have spoken with Dr. Baldwin and it was his thought I would be a good candidate and should apply when ready. I would prefer a SMP with linkage but will be more than happy to attend MC if given the opportunity.

Also, my undergraduate record is spotty and I know this. But the reason for the low GPA comes from my Sophomore and Junior years during some "interesting" times. I managed to get A's and B's in my O-Chem courses as well as a few upper level biology courses. It's never been that I can't grasp the course material. I firmly believe my biggest problem was a simple one. I was completely disorganized. No skills whatsoever. Having no organization skills crushed me. Something so simple was my downfall. Now that I remedied that problem, I am making up for my earlier issues and doing well. I welcome the chance to challenge myself now. Before, I would've folded and failed out I think. But not now, not without one heck of a fight.

Thank you again for the response.

DU

WorldChanger36,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I have taken the time to read through this entire thread and you seem to be a bit torn on the program. There seems to a general consensus that this program has minimal admission requirements but the work load is significant. Basically it comes across that this program gives those with moderate undergraduate deficiencies a chance to show they can handle the rigors of medical education. In fact, the program may be the only option for certain folks that could not get into other SMP.

I have taken time to investigate other SMP specifically ones associated with DO schools. I will apply to roughly five of them but there is a good chance I may not be accepted. So MC comes into play. I have spoken with Dr. Baldwin and it was his thought I would be a good candidate and should apply when ready. I would prefer a SMP with linkage but will be more than happy to attend MC if given the opportunity.

Also, my undergraduate record is spotty and I know this. But the reason for the low GPA comes from my Sophomore and Junior years during some "interesting" times. I managed to get A's and B's in my O-Chem courses as well as a few upper level biology courses. It's never been that I can't grasp the course material. I firmly believe my biggest problem was a simple one. I was completely disorganized. No skills whatsoever. Having no organization skills crushed me. Something so simple was my downfall. Now that I remedied that problem, I am making up for my earlier issues and doing well. I welcome the chance to challenge myself now. Before, I would've folded and failed out I think. But not now, not without one heck of a fight.

Thank you again for the response.

DU

Torn is putting it mildly. I hate it here and I have good and not so good reasons for this. I know my opinion can seem a bit loud on here or that I spend all of my time on here ( iphones make it easy) so please don't just take my word for it. I just vomit up everything completely unfiltered. So take it as it is. Opinion.

You are correct for many this program is a last resort due to grades or in my case late applications ( Darn MCAT) however like any program it is what you make it. Now phrases like that are nothing more then word soup but take it to mean depending on multiple factors if you work hard enough to make a 3.5 plus the result you will get out of the program will benefit you. If you really feel strongly about this you should apply. Make sure you apply early enough to start in the summer if possible because it really helps. You can form connections and knowing the right people goes a long way. One of the biggest plus of the program at MC is that when you finish no professional school will be able to scare you anymore. For many med school becomes easier.

I just got into the program. Where do y'all suggest I stay? I've realized the chances of staying on campus are slim for female grad students (only 10 rooms) and Clinton/Jackson isn't the best for a person to live on their own. Also, remembering we are all broke, college students and cannot spend tons on housing.

Suggestions?

living in Clinton is fine....and I live by myself in a ghetto apartment. I have no problems. I pay $635/mth for a 2 bed/1 bath (fair size). It's a little noisy but it's 2 miles from campus. Apartment complex is Shadowbrooke apartments. Don't feel like you can't live by yourself in Clinton. It's crime map is super clean. It's Jackson you have to worry about. (and I'm a single female as well haha)

I just got into the program. Where do y'all suggest I stay? I've realized the chances of staying on campus are slim for female grad students (only 10 rooms) and Clinton/Jackson isn't the best for a person to live on their own. Also, remembering we are all broke, college students and cannot spend tons on housing.

Suggestions?

Join the facebook group and keep an eye out for openings during the summer. Some of the best places have the highest turnover during late summer/august since people graduate. I've seen people pay low as 500 for 2 BR/1Bath apartments. Doesn't get much better than that if you split costs with a roommate.

As for crime, the cops patrol this area so damn much I highly doubt anything happens. Crime activity is virtually zero outside any area of Jackson.

Suggestions?

Grab any place in Clinton. It the summer ton of apartments that are a stones throw from campus open up. Also many of them have 50/50 rules where they try to get half female and half male and they hit their male quota pretty quick so you may be able to snag one of those. Facebook group is a good start. I know a good chunk of us are checking out after maymester so if you call around to some of the apartment complexes you could be surprised.

I just applied to this program. Crossing my fingers.

Don't sweat it.......I haven't found that they give out many rejections.

I would like to share with you my experience:
I would like to classify myself as a graduate student who had a sub-sub-sub 3.0 undergraduate GPA. Any hope of me having the slightest chance of gaining acceptance into a medical school was nonexistent. I worked extensively throughout my undergraduate education and my grades suffered <<typical story>>. However, I knew that my undergraduate grades were no reflection of my potential. It was not that I tried and failed during undergrad…it was that I never tried at all <<again, typical>>.
Eventually, a day came where the financial support I needed to provide for my family was no longer required and I was able to pursue my dream. Yet, there was a serious issue at hand…my undergraduate academic career was horrendous. At the time I was searching for an SMP, I truly believed that no graduate school would grant me the opportunity to regain my academic credibility. However, I was wrong…Mississippi College gave me the second chance to demonstrate that I am truly capable of success. When I arrived in Clinton, MS, from day one…I poured all of me into this program. I have paired hard combination classes with the will to succeed and drive to overcome what others see as impossible. I studied 12-14 hours every single day and I never succumbed to the desire of going out and socializing (but I have still made some amazing friends here…I am not antisocial =D). So far, I have carried myself through this program with a 4.0 (which is no easy feat when taking hard combos)…and I have gained several acceptances to medical school.
The point of my story is this:
If you are student who has a poor undergrad GPA due to unfortunate circumstances or did not have the will to try, but (at this time) has the mental capacity and the WILL to be a very successful student, then this program is for you! However, it will only be good for you if you make it good for you. If you walk in here and do not give it your all… and I mean YOUR ALL… then… there goes your last chance. This program is an opportunity to redeem your academic credibility and prove that you are capable of being VERY SUCCESSFUL in medical school. I love this program and it is a blessing to have been granted this amazing opportunity…it has pushed me beyond academic limits that I thought were impossible to surpass, it has shaped who I am as student and redefined my full academic potential. If it was not for MC, I would not be going to medical school this August.
There are other variations of students with different pasts and backgrounds that have a need to attend this program…Unfortunately, I cannot speak on their behalf (i.e. a student with a poor/decent/great undergrad GPA and a poor MCAT). Although, I have seen all of these combos make it in (but with one thing in common…an amazing grad GPA…3.8+).
I have: a good MCAT/ a very poor undergrad GPA/ a stellar graduate GPA…and I will be joining a medical school class this year. If you are someone like me, make it a mission to get a 4.0 and do not settle for anything less.
If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or post on this forum. Best of luck!!!!

I would like to share with you my experience:
I would like to classify myself as a graduate student who had a sub-sub-sub 3.0 undergraduate GPA. Any hope of me having the slightest chance of gaining acceptance into a medical school was nonexistent. I worked extensively throughout my undergraduate education and my grades suffered <<typical story>>. However, I knew that my undergraduate grades were no reflection of my potential. It was not that I tried and failed during undergrad&#8230;it was that I never tried at all <<again, typical>>.
Eventually, a day came where the financial support I needed to provide for my family was no longer required and I was able to pursue my dream. Yet, there was a serious issue at hand&#8230;my undergraduate academic career was horrendous. At the time I was searching for an SMP, I truly believed that no graduate school would grant me the opportunity to regain my academic credibility. However, I was wrong&#8230;Mississippi College gave me the second chance to demonstrate that I am truly capable of success. When I arrived in Clinton, MS, from day one&#8230;I poured all of me into this program. I have paired hard combination classes with the will to succeed and drive to overcome what others see as impossible. I studied 12-14 hours every single day and I never succumbed to the desire of going out and socializing (but I have still made some amazing friends here&#8230;I am not antisocial =D). So far, I have carried myself through this program with a 4.0 (which is no easy feat when taking hard combos)&#8230;and I have gained several acceptances to medical school.
The point of my story is this:
If you are student who has a poor undergrad GPA due to unfortunate circumstances or did not have the will to try, but (at this time) has the mental capacity and the WILL to be a very successful student, then this program is for you! However, it will only be good for you if you make it good for you. If you walk in here and do not give it your all&#8230; and I mean YOUR ALL&#8230; then&#8230; there goes your last chance. This program is an opportunity to redeem your academic credibility and prove that you are capable of being VERY SUCCESSFUL in medical school. I love this program and it is a blessing to have been granted this amazing opportunity&#8230;it has pushed me beyond academic limits that I thought were impossible to surpass, it has shaped who I am as student and redefined my full academic potential. If it was not for MC, I would not be going to medical school this August.
There are other variations of students with different pasts and backgrounds that have a need to attend this program&#8230;Unfortunately, I cannot speak on their behalf (i.e. a student with a poor/decent/great undergrad GPA and a poor MCAT). Although, I have seen all of these combos make it in (but with one thing in common&#8230;an amazing grad GPA&#8230;3.8+).
I have: a good MCAT/ a very poor undergrad GPA/ a stellar graduate GPA&#8230;and I will be joining a medical school class this year. If you are someone like me, make it a mission to get a 4.0 and do not settle for anything less.
If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or post on this forum. Best of luck!!!!

What schools did you get acceptances from ? What was your undergrad gpa? What was your mcat score? Did you complete the program in a year?

What schools did you get acceptances from ? What was your undergrad gpa? What was your mcat score? Did you complete the program in a year?

Sorry, I do not choose to disclose too much info about myself (as it will probably become very easy to reveal who I am); therefore, (at this time) I only wish to say that I was accepted to three D.O. schools. I only applied D.O. as I choose to be a D.O. :) :) :)

uGPA (without grade replacement): 2.4
uGPA (with retakes = AACOMAS uGPA): 2.85 << had some semesters with failed classes that required retakes in order to meet requirements for graduation>>

MCAT: 29O (one attempt before I applied to MC)

I am completing the program in 3 semesters (with no summer courses)

Again, I do wish to emphasize that I am telling my story in order to share the knowledge of what can be done by a person...and anyone. I hope I am reaching out to someone with stats similar to mine and who has the will/initiative to become a great physician!

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Sorry, I do not choose to disclose too much info about myself (as it will probably become very easy to reveal who I am); therefore, (at this time) I only wish to say that I was accepted to three D.O. schools. I only applied D.O. as I choose to be a D.O. :) :) :)

uGPA (without grade replacement): 2.4
uGPA (with retakes = AACOMAS uGPA): 2.85 << had some semesters with failed classes that required retakes in order to meet requirements for graduation>>

MCAT: 29O (one attempt before I applied to MC)

I am completing the program in 3 semesters (with no summer courses)

Again, I do wish to emphasize that I am telling my story in order to share the knowledge of what can be done by a person...and anyone. I hope I am reaching out to someone with stats similar to mine and who has the will/initiative to become a great physician!

Hope this helps

Thank you that information is helpful. Far to often people that, may or may not have been a part of this program will jump on here a post a positive glowing review about what MC did for them never revealing that they took more then a year to complete the program, failed/ withdrew/ Audited and repeated multiple 5 hours courses and got into William Carry or UMMC which has the hugest bias for this program I have ever seen while excluding out of staters. MC pulls in alot of people from out of state and results for them are much less promising. I am glad the program worked out for you but I can not tell you how many people are critical of this program but never log onto this site and voice it. For people that are out side of the program that are looking at this program as a last resort or maybe even a first choice I really think they could use a balance of opinions and experiences. I am very glad you came back and posted that stats you were comfortable with posting it really help people weigh things out. With Maymester being my last "semester" (It is like two weeks long) I will post a final overall review of the program from an out of state point of view. Congrats on getting into med school because if you completed this program with a 4.0 you earned it with blood sweat and tears. Congrats!

Has anyone been rejected to the program for Summer/Fall 2013? I hear that this is the first year applicants are being rejected.

Not true! Where did you even hear that??? They aren't going to reject ALL first year applicants hahaha...The only thing I did hear is that they are getting A LOT of applications now and may have to reject a few people. Again, I would not be worried about it. You would have to have incredibly AWFUL stats to be rejected.

Hey everybody! I've lurked around for a bit and finally decided to join to see if anyone can help me out!

I recently got accepted (March 13th) into the MoMS here at MC.
23Q
3.4 uGPA
3.2 uGPA science

I was wondering if anyone knew how long I have to reserve my seat? I applied to other Post-Bacc programs and wanted to hear from those schools first before I made a decision. I'd contact the school, but I imagine it wouldn't be a popular question!

Hey everybody! I've lurked around for a bit and finally decided to join to see if anyone can help me out!

I recently got accepted (March 13th) into the MoMS here at MC.
23Q
3.4 uGPA
3.2 uGPA science

I was wondering if anyone knew how long I have to reserve my seat? I applied to other Post-Bacc programs and wanted to hear from those schools first before I made a decision. I'd contact the school, but I imagine it wouldn't be a popular question!

The deposit is refundable but you have from now until class starts really. Not sure how long you have been lurking but if you are a resident of the state of Mississippi this program gets you in however you may what to get that MCAT up to at least a 25 if you want to get into UMMC or William Carry. If you are not from MS, that 23 is going to lock you out of medical school even after you finish this program. Pay for a Kaplan course this summer and retake that MCAT the world opens up to you if you can get that score up. Be careful what you expect from this program. I will be done here in may and will be writing a full review so stay tuned for that.

The deposit is refundable but you have from now until class starts really. Not sure how long you have been lurking but if you are a resident of the state of Mississippi this program gets you in however you may what to get that MCAT up to at least a 25 if you want to get into UMMC or William Carry. If you are not from MS, that 23 is going to lock you out of medical school even after you finish this program. Pay for a Kaplan course this summer and retake that MCAT the world opens up to you if you can get that score up. Be careful what you expect from this program. I will be done here in may and will be writing a full review so stay tuned for that.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I've been lurking for a bit now. I've read about your experiences and it has definitely helped me form an opinion on the school (along with the few others that chimed in too). I'm a bit regretful that I sent in my application and fee so soon. I'm still waiting on other schools before I choose to commit to MC.

I know the MCAT is low and I've been studying for it on and off for the past 6 months. If I end up attending MC, I'll probably look to take the MCAT before I start there.

I'm looking forward to your full review! It's always good to hear what experiences others have. Thanks for that!

Here is a little video that was recently made about the Medical Sciences program at MC. Check out the amazing gross lab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siimw416O2w

Yes the gross lab is the biggest plus of this program but it is more of a plus for undergrads then for grads relative to other programs, as they have no chance to get this kind of exposure at other undergrad programs. Other masters programs often have the grad students with the med students in the cadaver labs. Yeah the gross lab is awesome and brand spanking new....

So I posted in this thread a few months ago. I decided to go ahead and apply. I sent my online app a month before I sent in the remaining application. My MCAT is a 22 and 21 (didn't prepare properly) and my GPA is "strong", at least that's what I was told by the friendly admissions guy. I'm retaking the MCAT again at the end of this summer and have already purchased the remaining books I need to do SN2ed's 3 month plan. I understand its a "meet the requirements and you're in" but I am sorta worried ill be rejected bc of an MCAT and because they are supposedly getting many more applicants than previous years. Anyways, I should be hearing back from them by next Thursday.

I've been researching this school tirelessly and I'm really excited about potentially being there next fall. Looking forward to small, personable classes as opposed to my huge auditorium classes I had at LSU.

I just got accepted to the MS program in Mississippi College.
Can anybody answer me how successful the program is in terms of sending its students to dental school? It would be highly appreciated.

I am not a Mississippi resident by the way..

I was about to say... your MCAT won't be the reason you're rejected lol. Congratulations on your acceptance! Just remember to make smart decisions on your class combos or you'll dig yourself into an irreparable situation quick.

Someone went to UPenn dental school last year after completing the program. I think any SMP provides dental students with high likelyhood of connecting into dental programs upon completion. Really has nothing to do with which program. Although I could be wrong.

I was about to say... your MCAT won't be the reason you're rejected lol. Congratulations on your acceptance! Just remember to make smart decisions on your class combos or you'll dig yourself into an irreparable situation quick.

Thanks! What class combos do you suggest?

Also, from personal experience, where would you suggest I check out to live? I'm making a trip over there towards the end of this month to figure my housing out, meet Dr. Baldwin, and tour the campus.

I have a question... now I recently applied here and as I fill out biological science grade sheet I have one C- in one of my freshman bio course. I DO have better grades in higher level bio/chem courses tho. But if I'm correct they need all basic science courses with C or better correct? so would they look down upon this?

My DAT scores are solid as well, 19TS,20AA

I know in the past they were accepting almost all students but they are giving out rejections as well... Im so worried.

I've had several C's (my school doesn't have a +/- system) and just got accepted. Not sure about DAT scores since I'm going MD but I'm sure your grades are good enough. It seems that most people that are going to this program have yet to apply and will apply this summer (probably graduating this semester and will come to the realization they need supplemental coursework for professional school).

Thanks! What class combos do you suggest?

Also, from personal experience, where would you suggest I check out to live? I'm making a trip over there towards the end of this month to figure my housing out, meet Dr. Baldwin, and tour the campus.

Just read the previous posts by the various inputs by students. Ultimately, it depends on what your studying habits are and how much you can handle. If you believe you know you can study and want a solid course work, I recommend Neuroanatomy, Histology, and Cell physiology together. Both 5 hours have a lab buffer to help with lecture grade and all three classes help ease your knowledge of the body before heading into the deeper trenches of other classes.

The program doesn't reject anybody. Worst case you are put on a probationary status or not allowed to enter until next semester or your are put in the non degree seeking categories until you have grades for a semester. If you apply they offer you something. This school isn't selective if you have money you get in. They always claim that they have more applicants then spots and just like last semester they move things around and make it work. There are people here with grades under 2.0 and don't have MCat or dat scores. They got in.