Mississippi College Masters of Medical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, how long did it take for y’all to get a decision from them?

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my acceptance today. I have a few questions about the program. How successful is this program? Class size, number of matriculants, courses, tuition. if anyone is willing to give me some information, I would really appreciate it . Thank you.

MC Masters grad 2018. Current oms2. DM me if you have any questions

Members don't see this ad :)
MC Masters grad 2018. Current oms2. DM me if you have any questions
Hey, I had a few questions. I am from VA, but I chose this program because it had a good acceptance rate. Is this program popular in the north as well? Is it possible to get accepted to the east, north side schools?

Hey, I had a few questions. I am from VA, but I chose this program because it had a good acceptance rate. Is this program popular in the north as well? Is it possible to get accepted to the east, north side schools?

Really good chance at Tufts if you're trying to get into dental school. Good links with some DO schools. Otherwise, it's not super promising. Not many other schools know about MC. If you're not from MS or LA, I'd think long and hard before dropping $30k (at the minimum) for a degree that may not get you into the school you want.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got accepted today (predental!) and was wondering if anyone else is going soon, too! :)
Hi, nice to meet you! I'm a pre-med student who got accepted into the Summer 2022 program! I'm not from Mississippi though, so I'm still looking into housing, but I'm not sure if it's too late or something...

Also, is there a Facebook group for this year yet? I emailed Dr. Baldwin, and he said he'd send out an email in April regarding registration and all that stuff.

Hi, nice to meet you! I'm a pre-med student who got accepted into the Summer 2022 program! I'm not from Mississippi though, so I'm still looking into housing, but I'm not sure if it's too late or something...

Also, is there a Facebook group for this year yet? I emailed Dr. Baldwin, and he said he'd send out an email in April regarding registration and all that stuff.
Oh my gosh somehow I’m just now seeing this. So sorry for the late reply! I’m not from MS either but I liked the campus and the programs options so I ended up picking it. Did you decide on MC too? :)

Can anyone recently accepted and matriculated tell me how everything is going??

Highly recommend this program. Feel free to message with questions.

Can anyone give me any insight for the program now? I am a Texas resident, but have super strong ties to Louisiana and really would like to attend med school there. I am wondering if this program will look favorably to someone who's not a Louisiana resident? I have applied and will most likely see success - does anyone have any recommendations on the current state of the program?
Yes. A lot of the people in the program are from LA, but there are also people from around the country in the program (for both med and dental). I am not a LA resident and fared well.

Reactions: 1 users
hey y'all, just wanted to update the thread in case anyone is considering the program. I did pretty well in it, got a good MCAT score, and currently have 7 medical school interviews and 1 acceptance. It is a tough program and can be a little lonely and overwhelming at times but medical schools look at it really favorably and it definitely improved my app. I would say if you approach it with a get in, get out mentality and power through the 1.5 years and then take your mcat you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I plan to start at MC in Spring 25 to get my masters in Biology ( not masters in medical science). Can anybody recommend the “easy” classes I should take first, and what teachers I should take. I made a schedule already.

Medical Genetics (3)
Unifying Principles of Biology (3)
Grad Seminar (2)

8 credits

Summer:1

Infectious Disease (3)
Research (3)
Seminar Observation (1)

Summer : 2
Food and Water Microbiology (3)
Research (3)

13 hours

Fall:

Biochemistry I (3)
Biology of Cancer (3)
Medical Microbiology (4)

Hello! I plan to start at MC in Spring 25 to get my masters in Biology ( not masters in medical science). Can anybody recommend the “easy” classes I should take first, and what teachers I should take. I made a schedule already.

Medical Genetics (3)
Unifying Principles of Biology (3)
Grad Seminar (2)

8 credits

Summer:1

Infectious Disease (3)
Research (3)
Seminar Observation (1)

Summer : 2
Food and Water Microbiology (3)
Research (3)

13 hours

Fall:

Biochemistry I (3)
Biology of Cancer (3)
Medical Microbiology (4)
hi, the schedule you have now seems to be mostly "easier" classes compared to the med levels. BUT I believe you will need some of the "Med Levels" in order to graduate - that's three of the harder courses like medical physiology, neuroanatomy, gross anatomy, pharm, etc. Dr. Baldwin can tell you more. Also, medical schools really like to see that you took those first year med school courses and did well (like histology, pharm, toxicology, etc) MP2 is killer tough but really prepared me well for the MCAT. Also, certain courses are not offered every semester, so you'll have to prepare for some of the classes to not be offered. It isn't like undergrad where there are a lot of professors and options for classes; MC is very small. There's really about 4-5 professors for the entire program, and the same ones teach the required med levels, so it isn't as if you can just not take them if they're "tough". I was able to take the "easier classes" like these and work part time while studying for my MCAT; however when I started taking more med levels I had to cut back my work hours a little. If you aren't working I honestly think you could be a little bored with this schedule, esp. bc grad sem only meets 4 times a semester.

hi, the schedule you have now seems to be mostly "easier" classes compared to the med levels. BUT I believe you will need some of the "Med Levels" in order to graduate - that's three of the harder courses like medical physiology, neuroanatomy, gross anatomy, pharm, etc. Dr. Baldwin can tell you more. Also, medical schools really like to see that you took those first year med school courses and did well (like histology, pharm, toxicology, etc) MP2 is killer tough but really prepared me well for the MCAT. Also, certain courses are not offered every semester, so you'll have to prepare for some of the classes to not be offered. It isn't like undergrad where there are a lot of professors and options for classes; MC is very small. There's really about 4-5 professors for the entire program, and the same ones teach the required med levels, so it isn't as if you can just not take them if they're "tough". I was able to take the "easier classes" like these and work part time while studying for my MCAT; however when I started taking more med levels I had to cut back my work hours a little. If you aren't working I honestly think you could be a little bored with this schedule, esp. bc grad sem only meets 4 times a semester.
Thank you! Do you know what classes are offered online? I think someone told me that Unifying Principles of Biology was online.

They also told me to take any class that Graves teaches or online classes? They said that person was a really great teacher. What classes are those?

They also told me to take any class that Graves teaches or online classes? They said that person was a really great teacher. What classes are those?
lol so sorry but tbh I've never heard of or had a class with that prof! There weren't a ton of online classes, I did take histology online in the summer though! Remember the whole point of the program is to prove to med or dental schools that you can handle upper level science classes, so I would try to take those that mimic the first year of medical school (histo, pharm, MP1 and 2, gross or neuroanatomy). Throw some easier classes in to pad your gpa but a med school will be able to tell if you filled your whole schedule with easy As and no real upper-level sciences. In my experiences med schools (at least in the Gulf South/Texas) were familiar with the MC program and told me they looked at it favorably.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the insight. I just redid my entire schedule. Can you tell me what you think ?

Spring 25’

Immunology (4)

Genetics (4)

Summer:

Biochemistry I (3)

Grad Seminar (2)

Unifying Principles Of Biology (3)

Fall 25’

Histology (5)

Cell Physiology (2)

Seminar Observation (1)

Spring 26’

Med Physiology 2 (5)

Research (3)

Summer

Biochemistry 2 (3)

Research (3)

Fall 26’

Gross Anatomy (8)

Thank you so much for the insight. I just redid my entire schedule. Can you tell me what you think ?

Spring 25’

Immunology (4)

Genetics (4)

Summer:

Biochemistry I (3)

Grad Seminar (2)

Unifying Principles Of Biology (3)

Fall 25’

Histology (5)

Cell Physiology (2)

Seminar Observation (1)

Spring 26’

Med Physiology 2 (5)

Research (3)

Summer

Biochemistry 2 (3)

Research (3)

Fall 26’

Gross Anatomy (8)
looks good, seems like you have the harder classes paired with easier ones ( Like Med Phys with research) so that is good, I tried to take all my med levels with each other first semester and that wasn't smart lol.

This person said they're doing the biology one, not the medical science one, so they don't need the med levels for their degree.

Idk who Graves is, but there's an online course that's really good you should take, I think it's Unifying Principles.

Hi all, since some of you may be starting this program soon, I wanted to give a course guide for y'all since there might be some questions. I graduated awhile back so things may have changed.

Biochem 1 &2:
Definitely recommend this class!! Helps a lot for med school and MCAT. Take it over the summer, it's much easier then. Biochem 2 is better than 1 imo, so try to stick it out. Do not take Biochem 1 with MP1 in the Fall.

Med Phys 1:
HIGHLY recommend this course! It's very hard, but it's the course that gives you a leg up in medical school. Physio was a breeze for me as a result. I do this as your 2nd or last course.

Med Phys 2:
Should be still taught by Bourassa, who is 100/10 professor. He's amazing. You will learn so much from him and again, this class is the reason is why I'm doing well in med school. I passed an exam easily that other students in my class failed. I would do this as your first med level class.

Histo:
Also taught by Bourassa and highly recommend! If MP2 is full, this is a good first med level class too.

Neuro:
Did not take, but you only really should take it if you're pre-dent. If you're pre-med, you can take it for funsies.

Gross:
The Gross lab is AMAZING, spectacular, but unless you have friends taking that class with you, I do not recommend taking Gross anymore, which is a sad statement. A lot of the profs who taught this class are gone and you won't learn as well imo. I really wish I had not taken gross here because my med school taught it better. Again, only take if you have friends in that class or the med school you're going to doesn't do cadaver dissections.

Non med level courses, ones I recommend taking:
-Molecular Diagnostics
-Metabolomics (helpful for MCAT)
-Virology
-Immunology
-Any class taught by Bourassa
-Unifying Principles (the online one)
-Any online course.

OH AND FOR THAT ONE SEMINAR CLASS (I don't remember what it's called, but you need it to graduate for medical science), DO THAT ONE OVER THE SUMMER AS WELL! Much easier.

Good luck y'all!

Hi all, since some of you may be starting this program soon, I wanted to give a course guide for y'all since there might be some questions. I graduated awhile back so things may have changed.

Biochem 1 &2:
Definitely recommend this class!! Helps a lot for med school and MCAT. Take it over the summer, it's much easier then. Biochem 2 is better than 1 imo, so try to stick it out. Do not take Biochem 1 with MP1 in the Fall.

Med Phys 1:
HIGHLY recommend this course! It's very hard, but it's the course that gives you a leg up in medical school. Physio was a breeze for me as a result. I do this as your 2nd or last course.

Med Phys 2:
Should be still taught by Bourassa, who is 100/10 professor. He's amazing. You will learn so much from him and again, this class is the reason is why I'm doing well in med school. I passed an exam easily that other students in my class failed. I would do this as your first med level class.

Histo:
Also taught by Bourassa and highly recommend! If MP2 is full, this is a good first med level class too.

Neuro:
Did not take, but you only really should take it if you're pre-dent. If you're pre-med, you can take it for funsies.

Gross:
The Gross lab is AMAZING, spectacular, but unless you have friends taking that class with you, I do not recommend taking Gross anymore, which is a sad statement. A lot of the profs who taught this class are gone and you won't learn as well imo. I really wish I had not taken gross here because my med school taught it better. Again, only take if you have friends in that class or the med school you're going to doesn't do cadaver dissections.

Non med level courses, ones I recommend taking:
-Molecular Diagnostics
-Metabolomics (helpful for MCAT)
-Virology
-Immunology
-Any class taught by Bourassa
-Unifying Principles (the online one)
-Any online course.

OH AND FOR THAT ONE SEMINAR CLASS (I don't remember what it's called, but you need it to graduate for medical science), DO THAT ONE OVER THE SUMMER AS WELL! Much easier.

Good luck y'all!
Mind if I DM you about the program?