Mission Nephrology Fellowship 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi,
I interviewed there last year for 2010. The Div Chief Dr Friedman is regarded as one of the pioneers on dialysis in this country, he is up to retirement. The PD has an advanced degree in epidemiology and several publications in clinical research, his name is Dr Salifu unfortunately I did not meet him.
Program is very clinical and very busy I even think second years take calls also.
The hospital is an old one and the atmosphere is typical from NYC based programs.
Inbreeding is an issue , all the fellows I met that day were from SUNY downstate.
I ranked it quite low as I had better options for me and I do not know where they ranked me if they did it.
Hope this help
NA

awesome review. I thought the same. Thanks Buddy!

Members don't see this ad.

Yesterday I got the interview call from Uni of South Florida, Tampa. Has anyone no how is the nephrology program i haven't schedule my interview yet.
regards

Good for you, it is unusual to send invitations at this time.. Good luck. I know it is very clinical program. very busy..:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear County, USF Tampa is very impressive.

And it's in Paradise. Water and palm trees everywhere.

Highly recommended.

Last edited:
What about Texas A and M ?
The town is very safe and green. it is located between San Antonio, Houston and Dallas.
Although it is not famous outside of Texas, i found it very strong.
Has senoir attendings and a nice PD.
As a first year: 6 months consults and 6 months in Transplant.
in the second year: 6 months basic research and rest are electives.

I like this place, but I am not sure if I should rank it before Drexel or USC in LA ( where they have a biger name ).

Can anyone help with the list?

University of
chicago
University of St Louis
uab
UT
san Antonio
tufts

Can anyone help with the list?

University of
chicago
University of St Louis
uab
UT
san Antonio
tufts

Those are all great programs! I think I remember you saying in a previous post that you would prefer a program that also provides good weather. That being the case I think UTSA and UAB would climb to the top of the list. U.Chicago is probably the strongest academic program on the list along with UAB.

Taking into account weather and academics I would rank the programs.

1. UAB
2. UTSA
3. U. Chicago
4. Tufts
5. U.StL

Please help with my rank list,
Hopkins, duke, nyu, UPMC, mayo, northwestern, stl, UTSW, university of southern california.

I guess since others are asking for help i'll do the same.

UPMC, Northwestern, U.Chicago, OHSU, Washington, Colorado, Emory, Vanderbilt, Mississippi, UT-Memphis

Hey guys, can we certify everytime we change our ROL OR is it we can certify only once and its final.I mean is it like residency?
Is the last date to submit ROL June 2?

Hey guys, can we certify everytime we change our ROL OR is it we can certify only once and its final.I mean is it like residency?
Is the last date to submit ROL June 2?

You can certify the list as many times as you wish each time you make a change as long as it is before the deadline.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are all great programs! I think I remember you saying in a previous post that you would prefer a program that also provides good weather. That being the case I think UTSA and UAB would climb to the top of the list. U.Chicago is probably the strongest academic program on the list along with UAB.

Taking into account weather and academics I would rank the programs.

1. UAB
2. UTSA
3. U. Chicago
4. Tufts
5. U.StL

I still think Tufts can be considered higher( academics point of view) compared to UTSA and Chicago, what do you think?

Guys, please help me rank these progs, thanks in advance

1. U michigan
2. Emory
3. UTSA
4. OHSU
5. U Florida Gainesville
6. U Chicago
7. Thomas Jefferson
8. Jackson Memorial Fl
9. U Kansas
10. Tulane
11. U Arizona, Tucson

Guys, please help me rank these progs, thanks in advance

1. U michigan
2. Emory
3. UTSA
4. OHSU
5. U Florida Gainesville
6. U Chicago
7. Thomas Jefferson
8. Jackson Memorial Fl
9. U Kansas
10. Tulane
11. U Arizona, Tucson

The way I would rank them:

1. Emory
2. OHSU
3. U Arizona, Tucson
4. U Chicago
5. U michigan
6. U FloridaGainesville
7. Tulane
8. Jackson Memorial Fl
9. Thomas Jefferson
10. UTSA
11. Kansas

Any one has ideas about Drexel ?

It is very busy program, but you will be very well trained as a clinical nephrologist.
The fellows are happy about their training.
I think more changes would be coming soon after having a new chief division.
The only thing I don’t like about, it is Philly….

Could anyone post details about North Shore LIJ Nephro program in NY. From the interview it seems the Faculty are good. But there was no tour of the facility/units or interaction with the Fellows. So I find it very difficult to assess the program.

If any one know further details of the program, please post. Thanks.

Could anyone post details about North Shore LIJ Nephro program in NY. From the interview it seems the Faculty are good. But there was no tour of the facility/units or interaction with the Fellows. So I find it very difficult to assess the program.

If any one know further details of the program, please post. Thanks.

One word: Weird

Why would no one take you/introduce you to see the facility or the fellows?

Good luck everyone-I'll see you someplace soon.

Last edited:
Wow! AshMD! So many interviews!!:wow:
Congrats to you!!

My rank list

USF Tampa
USC
UCSF
OHSU
U of Arizona
U of NM
San Antonio
U of MN
UCLA-Olive
Mississippi
Memphis
LSU

I initially accepted and then skipped out on Lennox Hill, Stony Brook, Beth Israel, Vermont, and New Hampshire. Too chilly-I like wearing shorts/t shirt and working out almost everyday. To be the best, you need mental AND physical fitness. Plus-you just plain ole look good.

it looks strange to me, having USF before UCSF or San anotnio?
would you explain why?

good luck anyways.

Do u mind sharing your ideas about U of NM ( New Mexico )

They interviewed very few people.

+
I think it is a good clinical nephroogy program.
Fellows are happy.
they have 8 fellows in total which is a large number.

_
They are looking for a chair
Next year will be a nice junior program director

The city is nice and warm

I am not sure how much those changes will affect the program

My rank list

USF Tampa
USC
UCSF
OHSU
U of Arizona
U of NM
San Antonio
U of MN
UCLA-Olive
Mississippi
Memphis
LSU

I initially accepted and then skipped out on Lennox Hill, Stony Brook, Beth Israel, Vermont, and New Hampshire. Too chilly-I like wearing shorts/t shirt and working out almost everyday. To be the best, you need mental AND physical fitness. Plus-you just plain ole look good.

I think that is a great list. I am also surprised to see UCSF down at #3 on the list and Tampa on top.

Would love to get some feed back on how people would rank these programs

UPMC, Northwestern, U.Chicago, OHSU, Washington, Colorado, Emory, Vanderbilt, Mississippi, UT-Memphis

Do u mind sharing your ideas about U of NM ( New Mexico )

They interviewed very few people.

+
I think it is a good clinical nephroogy program.
Fellows are happy.
they have 8 fellows in total which is a large number.

_
They are looking for a chair
Next year will be a nice junior program director

The city is nice and warm

I am not sure how much those changes will affect the program

I loved New Mexico.

Last edited:
I know you've asked this before Neph, but I can only give you opinions on OHSU, Mississippi, and UT Memphis.

Good luck Neph2011. It's not easy to pick from a list like yours nor to rank it. First Q to ask yourself-community or academics. If community, most will get you there. If academics, go for the well known places like Northwestern or Emory. But be ready to work. I know from meeting people that Emory is a busy busy place.

Peace...

Last edited:
One reason: I start this summer (open spot).

If anyone wants help getting an interview here and I know you, email/pm me my brothas :)

congrats, so you are not going to the match and you do need to have a rank list:thumbup:

UC did say to its interviewees that=many many Fewer applicants this year=so everyone that interviewed has a good shot everywhere

Last edited:
Thanks homey. I'm glad I don't have to rank anywhere. So much stress. and even then-you're not sure of where you are going.

UCSF did say to its interviewees that=many many Fewer applicants this year=so everyone that interviewed has a good shot/you'll have your pick.

May be you are right about UCSF, but still I think, and from the NRMP website, all the spots they have are for research track, not clinical.

enjoy Dr. Durr, he is very nice guy...:)

UCSF is interesting.

Last edited:
Would love to get some feed back on how people would rank these programs

Nephro, congrats on the great interviews. Location, career preference aside, I would rank them:

Vandy
Colorado
Washington
OHSU
U Chicago
Emory
UPMC
Northwestern
Mississippi
UT Memphis

Last edited:
I am new to this forum
I need help to rank these programs

vanderbilt
MUSC
Uni of Miami
Uni of Taxes Southwestern
Uni of Taxes san antonio
Uni of Chicago
Medical collage of wisconsin, Milwakee
Uni of A & M, temple, TX
Uni of kansas
uni of KY
Maine Medical center
Taxes Tech Uni

I am new to this forum
I need help to rank these programs

vanderbilt
MUSC
Uni of Miami
Uni of Taxes Southwestern
Uni of Taxes san antonio
Uni of Chicago
Medical collage of wisconsin, Milwakee
Uni of A & M, temple, TX
Uni of kansas
uni of KY
Maine Medical center
Taxes Tech Uni

If you you're having trouble spelling TEXAS correctly then I'd advise you stay away from the programs in that state. :laugh::laugh:

Kidding aside; those are all great programs. I can only comment on Vandy which is a great program. I think UT-SW is a great program as well and i'd assume most others would agree that those would/should be your front runners.

Can someone please help with my rank order list? Thanks!

Brown
University of Colorado
University of chicago
University of maryland
UT South western
Henry ford
Boston University
Vermont
Uofl

I guess since others are asking for help i'll do the same.

Hi Nephro2011

is washington U of W, WUSTL or George Washington?

Can someone please help with my rank order list? Thanks!

Brown
University of Colorado
University of chicago
University of maryland
UT South western
Henry ford
Boston University
Vermont
Uofl

the way I will rank them:

Boston University
University of maryland
University of Colorado
UT South western
Uofl
University of chicago
Vermont
Brown
Henry ford

Good Luck

Simple question
After we certify our ROL, do we need to do anything else ?

Hope every one good luck. Please rank those programs from your prospective.

University of clorado
UT southwesteren
Cedar Sinai LA
University of maryland
San Antonio
Tulane
Emory

All the best to you guys. Hope everybody matches in their dream programs and ALL are happy. Thanks to all the contributors and the seniors of this thread (eg Pedronavoja) for making it a useful platform for discussion. I sincerely request people to come back to the forum after the match day and at least put matched/not, which State, how did u rank the program in ROL.

Good luck, and sit tight for now!

I want to know if you did or didn't get in...maybe we can brainstorm on how others can get in also.

Please post...and GL today!

Since I started the thread this year, I decided to post my match result first!!!

Matched in my number #2 in Philadelphia, glad to stay back in Philly for another two years.