Mission Nephrology Fellowship 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neelrai

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Folks, it is almost time! So those who are out there planning about applying for Nephrology fellowship this year (For start in 2011), please gather here. Let's discuss, learn, share and be successful ---- all of us!

Members don't see this ad.

I am IMG (2004 grad), steps mid 80's including Step3 (all 1st attempt), UK experience and PG qualification, now 2nd yr resident in a Uni affiliated Community prog. Have few case reports, 1 research abstract, 1 article and 2 posters (None in Renal). Did research in Uni hospital on CVS risks of ESRD patients (yet to be published).

Please share yours.

No one applying for Nephro this year???:eek::sleep::rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an IMG (2004 grad), MS degree, mid 80's all three steps, 4 publications (1 review, 2 case reports, 1 abstract at ASN), 7 posters, 3rd year Univ affiliated hospital. Principle investigator for 1 clinical renal project, co-investigator for 3 clinical renal projects, awaiting on 4 other case reports which were sent for publication.......on H-1B....did not apply last year as I wanted to do hospitalist for a year (make some moolah>>>) all the best

I am an IMG, green card holder, with 7 publications so far, serve as academic Hospitalist. good luck

Thank you for starting this thread.

Every body has great credentials.

I am an IMG, early 90's in 1 &2 and late 80's in 3. 2 1/2 years UK exp.

5 clinical vignette posters at national ACP/AMA and 2 research posters one in UK and one here.no publications. 2 ongoing studies....

Freinds, also tell where you want to apply and what you are looking for in a program.

lets keep this thread alive and active and share our experiences....thanks...

Where s everybody....no posts...people wake up....

hi guys,
im another nephro aspirant,
anyways has anyone heard from anyone yet????

I do know from other threads that people hear as soon as the 12/3.

(Renaldoc2be had an interview with U oF virginia by now from the previous application thread.)

Just heard from a program in Detroit. They will begin reviewing apps in January.

pm for details only

Last edited:
Last year if I remember accurately, Maine Medical Center and University of Washington had sent invites around this time.
NYC programs notoriously interview late, so don't be surprised if you don't hear from many NYC programs in december

Last year if I remember accurately, Maine Medical Center and University of Washington had sent invites around this time.
NYC programs notoriously interview late, so don't be surprised if you don't hear from many NYC programs in december

Hi pedronavaja2005....and others..
good to see some action...at last..

Well,
pedronavaja2005.... I believe that you matched last year..good to see you here again..trying to help the thread and give your views/news...and hopefully advice... soon....thanks in advance..

Hi there ....
This forum has helped me during my application process and thaought I'd share some with u guys.

Myself.2nd yr IM resident from a Univ Program/IMG on H1B/USMLE in high 90s with residency in IM from Home country/3 Publications in indexed Journals and >20 Posters/Oral presentations.

Interseted in Nephro + CC programs and I have applied to 70 programs (on Dec 2nd).

Will further update on IV calls .

Hi everyone,

I just want your honest opinion on this topic.
I'm currently doing a Geriatric fellowship at NYU Medical Center.I completed my IM residency 2 years ago and worked for 2 yrs before deciding to do this fellowship.Now I'm interested in applying for a nephrology fellowship position thru eras match 2011.Honestly, i have no research attributes in the field of Nephro whatsoever.What do you think my chances are?How competitive is Nephro.I don't have very strong LoRs either(only 3 mediocre ones from nephrologists from my residency program).I want to do this(Nephro) fellowship real bad!What should I do at this point to improve my chances?
I would greatly appreciate your response.btw, I'm an IMG.

Members don't see this ad :)
got an acknowledgement letter from univ of washington, say they will start sending out invite in last week of dec

Hi everyone,

I just want your honest opinion on this topic.
I'm currently doing a Geriatric fellowship at NYU Medical Center.I completed my IM residency 2 years ago and worked for 2 yrs before deciding to do this fellowship.Now I'm interested in applying for a nephrology fellowship position thru eras match 2011.Honestly, i have no research attributes in the field of Nephro whatsoever.What do you think my chances are?How competitive is Nephro.I don't have very strong LoRs either(only 3 mediocre ones from nephrologists from my residency program).I want to do this(Nephro) fellowship real bad!What should I do at this point to improve my chances?
I would greatly appreciate your response.btw, I'm an IMG.

I think that if you really want to go into renal I would apply and see how things go. Yes, renal is certainly more competitive but not impossible to get. In general, I think the farther you get out of residency, the harder it gets to match in any program so if you have all your supporting material I would do it now. I would apply broadly and consider programs that are not in big name cities. Certainly speak with your guys at NYU to put a good word for you...I'm sure the geri guys at NYU now some of the renal guys there. If you can get a strong letter from your geri directors at NYU that would also be very helpful. NYC tends to be very inbred and residents from NYC programs match interchangeably into the different programs so that might be to your advantage.
I think having research in renal is a plus but if you have any research experience at all is great. They are more interested in your potential to become academic rather than the specific topic itself.
I applied twice. My first time, I applied to essentially only NYC programs and didn't match. The second time around I applied more broadly and was more successful.

Hi pedronavaja2005....and others..
good to see some action...at last..

Well,
pedronavaja2005.... I believe that you matched last year..good to see you here again..trying to help the thread and give your views/news...and hopefully advice... soon....thanks in advance..

I'll be happy to contribute my two cents as questions start coming and offers start coming

I think that if you really want to go into renal I would apply and see how things go. Yes, renal is certainly more competitive but not impossible to get. In general, I think the farther you get out of residency, the harder it gets to match in any program so if you have all your supporting material I would do it now. I would apply broadly and consider programs that are not in big name cities. Certainly speak with your guys at NYU to put a good word for you...I'm sure the geri guys at NYU now some of the renal guys there. If you can get a strong letter from your geri directors at NYU that would also be very helpful. NYC tends to be very inbred and residents from NYC programs match interchangeably into the different programs so that might be to your advantage.
I think having research in renal is a plus but if you have any research experience at all is great. They are more interested in your potential to become academic rather than the specific topic itself.
I applied twice. My first time, I applied to essentially only NYC programs and didn't match. The second time around I applied more broadly and was more successful.

Thank you pedronavaja2005, for your honest and candid advice.
As for the guys at NYU, I'm a little uncertain about involving the geri guys yet.I tried to contact the Nephro research coordinator (Dr David Goldfarb) who said he would be interested in teaming me up with a second year Nephro fellow in her small research project but then he and his fellows took off for the ASN conference and I ddin't hear again from him.
I know that,particularly in my situation, things will be almost impossible.I'll certainly try but am not expecting anything really.
Thank you again pedronavaja2005.I hope God helps you all the way.:)

Well guys i've been following this board from a distance for a long time now. Figure i'd finally register and get involved.

My stats:
- IMG/US Citizen
- Mid 90's on Step 1, 2 & 3
- 2nd year resident at mid level University Program
- 3 strong LORs from home institution renal docs & strong PD letter
- no renal research or publications
- Applied 25 programs on Dec. 1st

Recieved interview by email on Dec. 2nd @ U. Louisville

Do you guys want to keep a running list of programs and invites like they are doing on the internal medicine forum?

I like posting interview dates-but it only makes me more paranoid...eg haven't heard from Louisville, but didn't apply to U of Washington etc.

Glad this thread has started going too.

Hello every1!

I've been looking for a forum like this. Finally found it. seems like a nice forum. Please keep it alive. I'm a hospitalist. I don't have any research credentials but have been doing some research at Brigham and Women. No publications yet. one review article yet to be published. I hope I get it man!!
received call from SUNY Stony Brook on 12/3.

I guess i'll get the list started. Please add to the list as you get invites.

SUNY Stony Brook - Glomerulus99
University of Louisville - Nephro2011

Hello every1!

I've been looking for a forum like this. Finally found it. seems like a nice forum. Please keep it alive. I'm a hospitalist. I don't have any research credentials but have been doing some research at Brigham and Women. No publications yet. one review article yet to be published. I hope I get it man!!
received call from SUNY Stony Brook on 12/3.

Hey Glomerulus 99, can you plz post ur credentials here.I would appreciate.

I think the "have been doing some research at Brigham and Women's Hospital" says enough:rolleyes:

Hey Viper,
How many program have u applied? Whats ur status?

Hey Viper,
How many program have u applied? Whats ur status?

I applied to around 80 programs.Don't ask me my credentials because I don't have any.I have no Renal research(or any research) attributes.I also received the acknowledgement letter from Univ of Washington.I'm not expecting any interviews.I'm actually ashamed that I even dared to apply this year.:oops:

I applied to around 80 programs.Don't ask me my credentials because I don't have any.I have no Renal research(or any research) attributes.I also received the acknowledgement letter from Univ of Washington.I'm not expecting any interviews.I'm actually ashamed that I even dared to apply this year.:oops:
Oh Viper you are so humble ;) well my credentials are not so great either. lets just hope that every1 of us gets a position!! :xf:

Guys can you give your valuable input regarding the following east coast programs..

Tufts, Maine medical centre, Brown, boston uni,and baystate and Umass.

Please provide the details about the program reputations and the interview process etc..

Your help is grately appreciated...

any body heard from any of the above programs.....little activity in my message centre....hopefully this week...:xf:

I haven't heard from anyone as of Dec 1st regarding an interview (Yet-fingers crossed)

It is great to see our forum live and kicking. My credentials are at the beginning of this thread. Applied to 65 progs on Dec 1st. No IV no rejection so far. I think it is a good idea to keep a running list of IVs like our friend did. Anyone who wishes to post in this thread should have the courtesy to share their credentials, I think. good luck to all!

Nice to see a forum like this. I have applied to 80 programs no interviews yet.USMLE scores in mid 90's some publications and posters. Are there other programs besides Stony Brook and University of Louisville that have sent interview invites.

Oregon Health & Sciences University -Nephro2011

University of Miami (Jackson Memorial) - Nephro2011

First one ..Maine medical centre.....hopin more this week...:)

Maine Medical Center - obama1414
University of Miami (Jackson Memorial) - Nephro2011, nephrorenal

Checked my eras message center and had 2 interview invites:
1) UT southwestern
2) University of Louisville

Need to change my spam filter.......

New to the forum,first interview,yale university nephro!

Let me update the list....congrats to NKF fan and Cast..

University of Louisville - Nephro2011,NKF fan
UT South western - NKF fan
Yale - Cast

Any more interviews?seems too early though..
:confused:

Kaiser Permante. LA :D
Henry Ford :( ..

So I take it you got the interview at Kaiser Permanate LA because of the :D but does the :( following Henry Ford mean you got rejected or does it mean you got the interview but you're not excited about it?

IV invite update, Keep it going folks!

University of Louisville - Nephro2011,NKF fan
UT South western - NKF fan
Yale - Cast
Kaiser Permante. LA: SopranoFan, Neelrai
Henry Ford: ? SopranoFan

Henry Ford - ?SopranoFan
Kaiser Permanente (Los Angeles) - SopranoFan, Neelrai
Oregon Health & Sciences University - Nephro2011
University of Louisville - Nephro2011, NKF fan
UT Southwestern - NKF fan
Yale - Cast

hi, i am an IMG GC Holder, In my 3year residency in midwest community program with mid 80's in all steps .......will be doing chief residency next year.....applying in around 40 nephro programs......have research and 2 publication in non renal field...have 10 posters......what r my chances????

Henry Ford - ?SopranoFan
Yale - Cast
Brown University Rhode Island: Neelrai

Cast.. sorry to hear about the rejection.. i'm expecting to get some myself :eek:

Anyways, lets try to keep the list of programs in alphabetical order. Makes it easier to follow. :D:D

Brown University - Neelrai
Henry Ford - ?SopranoFan
Yale - Cast

Brown University - Neelrai
Henry Ford - ?SopranoFan