Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll be making a trip back to CCOM from California to check out the campus/Downers Grove/city with my S.O. Unfortunately, the weekend that we are coming (March 3-6) there are no campus tours. Would any current students PLEASE be able to give us a campus tour? PM me. THANK YOU!!

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted! I just interviewed on Monday, such a quick turnaround! :soexcited:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else from feb interviews hear today? Or does silence right now = waitlist or rejection?

Last edited:
Anyone else from feb interviews hear today? Or does silence right now = waitlist or rejection?

Interviewed 2/8--nothing yet. They said we should hear in 3-4 weeks if not sooner, so I'm not assuming a rejection or waitlist decision yet.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I'll be making a trip back to CCOM from California to check out the campus/Downers Grove/city with my S.O. Unfortunately, the weekend that we are coming (March 3-6) there are no campus tours. Would any current students PLEASE be able to give us a campus tour? PM me. THANK YOU!!
There are no campus tours because we are on Spring Break. Post on your Facebook page and maybe a current student will be on campus and can give you a tour. I will be at school on the 1st, but it does not seem that you are here yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed 2/8--nothing yet. They said we should hear in 3-4 weeks if not sooner, so I'm not assuming a rejection or waitlist decision yet.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
It may take up to the 1st or 2nd week of march. We are having our finals this week and next, so things are busy for everyone.

They told us (February 15ht interview) that we would hear back by the first week of March. I would guess no news is still good news (or at least not bad news). They also told us the quickest way to find out was to check your portal for any changes!

I interviewed on 2/9 and got an acceptance email on 2/19. I highly doubt silence = waitlist/rejection though!! They probably just weren't able to review all of the applicants at their last review session. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you:)

Are they still giving out interviews here? Waitin' for some hometown love.

Anyone know how does the Master program at CCOM work if somehow I get rejected/wait listed?

Do we have an easier time with the application if we have interviewed or would we still need to apply separately? I'm looking into a Post Bach/masters if I don't get in this year, and I don't want to accidentally miss the deadline and what not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed here 2/8 and still haven't heard back. I called this week and apparently they didn't have enough time to go over all of the applicants during their February meeting. Anyone else hear the same thing? We were told we should hear by the beginning of March earlier

I interviewed here 2/8 and still haven't heard back. I called this week and apparently they didn't have enough time to go over all of the applicants during their February meeting. Anyone else hear the same thing? We were told we should hear by the beginning of March earlier
Same interview date--haven't heard anything either. From the patterns in this thread it looks like people hear back on Thursdays at the end of the months. Hoping for some news today.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Are they still giving out interviews here? Waitin' for some hometown love.

In case you were still wondering, I just received an interview invite this morning (3/4) and there are still 5 interview dates open through mid April.

Does anybody know how filled the class of Fall 2016 is? The soonest I can interview is March 25th and if I'm just interviewing for a waitlist spot, it might not be worth it to fly out there. Also what's the general consensus on the high COA? I know CCOM's got great rotations (according to sdn) but is it really worth $62k/yr?

I REALLY need to talk to a current student. I am having some serious second thoughts about attending CCOM.
I loved the school and the faculty and, MOST OF ALL, the location, right next to Chicagoland.
However, I'm having some serious concerns about the COA. Some first year students mentioned (in the FB group) that they borrowed $90k for their first year!!!! Another thing I am concerned about is the amount of elective units we have in our fourth year. Some schools give as much as 7-8 months throughout OMSIII and OMSIV but it looks like CCOM gives only about 4. I feel like, with the residency merger, these elective times are going to be even more important for matching in non primary care specialties.
Any other new students concerned? Is this everyone's only acceptance or did you choose it over other schools?

@Ioannes Paulus I'll certainly ask those questions of students and faculty at second look day next week and let you know what I find out, I'm curious too. I'm hoping there's some flexibility with the electives/away rotations 4th year. Also, the fact that there's no cap on tuition is kinda gross. The CCOM alums that I work with are unanimously shocked when they hear the current pricetag.

Will most likely be declining my offer of acceptance due to financial constraints. It's an amazing school and I would've loved to attend. Best of luck to everyone!

Will most likely be declining my offer of acceptance due to financial constraints. It's an amazing school and I would've loved to attend. Best of luck to everyone!
Best of luck to you elsewhere :)

@Ioannes Paulus I'll certainly ask those questions of students and faculty at second look day next week and let you know what I find out, I'm curious too. I'm hoping there's some flexibility with the electives/away rotations 4th year. Also, the fact that there's no cap on tuition is kinda gross. The CCOM alums that I work with are unanimously shocked when they hear the current pricetag.
I think the precise question could be how many elective months are given, how many of them could be used for audition rotations? and is there a cap for how many electives you can do in one field. The online catalogue and the pdf catalogue adress the issue differently and I dont have a clear picture of how it works out.

Nothing yet. I've been refreshing the portal most of the day.

They're supposed to go over more candidates this week so I'm assuming they just never got to us last month. We should hear in the next week or two I bet

They're supposed to go over more candidates this week so I'm assuming they just never got to us last month. We should hear in the next week or two I bet

Yep, I emailed to ask for an update and they said I'm still in interviewed status and under consideration. I figured I was waiting for the rejection letter in the mail.

I think the precise question could be how many elective months are given, how many of them could be used for audition rotations? and is there a cap for how many electives you can do in one field. The online catalogue and the pdf catalogue adress the issue differently and I dont have a clear picture of how it works out.
I'll ask these questions and get back to you this weekend :)

I'm a first year, so I don't really have all the details on rotations, but I'm pretty sure we get 7 electives in fourth year. And you can do a maximum of either 3 or 4 in the same field? Pretty sure all electives are completely your choice, so by definition they can be out of CCOM's network i.e. can be used for auditions/aways/whatever your heart desires. Dr. Nichols, the dean, mentioned recently that they are currently making some changes to the clinical rotations to allow more students to do a neurology rotation in third year, based on student feedback, and likely some other changes as well. I think currently third year students get one elective slot, but that might be increased for the class of 2020 (maybe even '19). @absie107 you should definitely ask to clarify at second look day and post what you find out!

II today Yippie!!! I thought I was forgotten :soexcited::clap::zip:.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone get any news today?

Nope! I've been checking every hour. I hope we'll get news tomorrow if they do indeed meet on Thursdays like someone else said. Good luck everyone!

Anyone get any news today?

Nope! I've been checking every hour. I hope we'll get news tomorrow if they do indeed meet on Thursdays like someone else said. Good luck everyone!

My applicant checklist updated this morning with the required prerequisite courses. Not sure what it means, I didn't get a "proof of bachelor's degree" notice which means waitlist. Nothing in the accepted checklist either. Possibly a rejection? Did any other February interviews update yet?

Mine updated in the exact same way

I called CCOM admissions earlier today and they told me I'm on the waitlist; they said they have letters scheduled to be delivered today. I havent seen any changes on the accepted student checklist.

I also got on the alternative list, and my portal did not change for the most part. My checklist added a new prerequisite list with courses completed though.

For all thinking about housing, looks like you can find places for multiple roommates as low as $500-700/month, and on campus housing is maybe $800-900/month for a single person. Also in case anybody was interested, they have an OMM fellowship thing where if you get it, you stay on an extra year to intersperse some TA-ing for OMM classes with your rotations/electives, but they pay for half your tuition. Just fyi! :)

Hmmm this is interesting
CCOM is planning to keep interviewing until mid April but it looks like no one got an acceptance from the past few dates? Is that true?

My portal also updated with the required prereqs but I didn't receive a letter. Do the prereqs only mean alternate list or could it also be a rejection?

My portal also updated with the required prereqs but I didn't receive a letter. Do the prereqs only mean alternate list or could it also be a rejection?

I don't think your portal changes at all if it is a rejection. Your safest bet is to just call admissions and ask them to clarify.

Hmmm this is interesting
CCOM is planning to keep interviewing until mid April but it looks like no one got an acceptance from the past few dates? Is that true?

No SDN acceptances on Friday, it seems. Very weird. Though SDN obviously doesn't account for every single person that got a verdict on Friday.

Has anyone here actually got an official "alternative list" letter in the mail or even email yet? I'm kinda hoping the fact that I have not been "officially" notified that I'm on the alternative list would be a good sign.

Has anyone here actually got an official "alternative list" letter in the mail or even email yet? I'm kinda hoping the fact that I have not been "officially" notified that I'm on the alternative list would be a good sign.
If I recall, portal changes were like this last year:
  • Required prereqs + matriculation agreement = accepted
  • Required prereqs only = waitlist

Is there anyone else that was dissapointed with the interview day? It was one of the shortest interview days I had in the cycle and I felt that we weren't given any new/compelling info about the school?
The Admissions Director didn't know too much about CCOM or the cycle, the interview was 20 minutes long, the tour lasted 15 minutes, financial aid officer was unhelpful...
I still don't really know how the curriculum works. Because it follows the traditional form of medical education, do students have finals all on the same week? Some students here mentioned that the clinical curriculum might be changing but no one touched on the subject during the day. Do students get fridays off?
How do students with families deal with the high tuition? Why is the tuition so high in the first place? Why isn't the school working to make CCOM more affordable and , instead, just saying that the tuition will go up every year?
I loved the complimentary lunch (best lunch I had at a med school interview, both MD and DO) but I was a little disspointed at how unimformative the interview day was. Maybe because the cycle is wrapping up? Did anyone else have a similar experience?

Is there anyone else that was dissapointed with the interview day? It was one of the shortest interview days I had in the cycle and I felt that we weren't given any new/compelling info about the school?
The Admissions Director didn't know too much about CCOM or the cycle, the interview was 20 minutes long, the tour lasted 15 minutes, financial aid officer was unhelpful...
I still don't really know how the curriculum works. Because it follows the traditional form of medical education, do students have finals all on the same week? Some students here mentioned that the clinical curriculum might be changing but no one touched on the subject during the day. Do students get fridays off?
How do students with families deal with the high tuition? Why is the tuition so high in the first place? Why isn't the school working to make CCOM more affordable and , instead, just saying that the tuition will go up every year?
I loved the complimentary lunch (best lunch I had at a med school interview, both MD and DO) but I was a little disspointed at how unimformative the interview day was. Maybe because the cycle is wrapping up? Did anyone else have a similar experience?
I thought the interview day was great. Quick and to the point. If you know anything about this process you know it essentially makes no difference what school you go to in terms of your experience there. Your experience is going to consist primarily of living as a information-aholic no matter where you go. The tuition rate is probably due to the location and the premiums they have to pay to get such good rotation sites. The curriculum is the same as nearly every other school out there with a little more emphasis on anatomy and biochemistry. I have never heard of getting Fridays off at any school. It looks like a lot of people go for the military scholarship route to manage the expenses.

I'm not a current student, but I'll try to answer what I know from these questions to the best of my ability based on what I learned from students/profs recently. In terms of curriculum, the school is on the quarter system. They don't follow a systems-based approach, and instead have you start first year with biochem, histo, OMM class, anatomy, clinical skills, etc. Second year is primarily path, pharm, etc. Here is the page that lists classes for each year: https://www.midwestern.edu/course_c...llege_of_osteopathic_medicine/curriculum.html. Typically, it sounds like students have more frequent exams than other schools, some of which are at 7am, some of which are in the evenings. Students are given note packets for most core classes in lieu of specific books, so you can use that to guide your studies for particular classes and then add your own extra study material as needed. Most lectures are recorded. First year students do NOT have class on Fridays, second years do. Seems like most students plan to take step 1. You get 5 weeks of dedicated study time to prep for comlex/step 1.

As far as tuition, I've heard that student gov and other groups are maybe trying to lobby the admin to stop with the ridiculous rises in tuition. From a doc I know who went to Midwestern about 12 years ago, they've really transformed the campus and made things nicer in general, but I also agree its absolutely insane, maybe second only to the OOS tuition for MSU. There are options for financial aid esp for military and primary care specialties (e.g. HPSP, NHSC), but seems like most people just take the loans they need then opt for PAYE (pay as you earn)/IBR (income based repayment) payback plans where you do something like 10-15% of your monthly income going to loans during residency so you don't have to live out of a cardboard box. Note those programs typically only apply to federal, not private, student loans. I certainly am curious about how CCOM alums who go into peds/family med fare with paying back loans as attendings, but I know a CCOM alum (ED doc) who was very frugal his first few years practicing out of residency and now is debt-free. That's just n=1 tho, esp since you can make pretty decent money in emergency med these days.

If you have more questions, I'm betting students in the FB group or maybe @ananasmed would be happy to answer whatever you're interested in. If you need a link to that let me know. I'm sorry you had a less than stellar experience interviewing!

Can anyone speak to deferred acceptances at Midwestern CCOM? Is that something that anyone has heard of or received after an interview? I'm out of school, working in another field, but hope to enter the medical field. It's my true passion, and what I have prepared for my entire life. I have an interview coming up in a few weeks. Decent stats-- UGPA: 3.8 from a double major, MCAT: 512

Also, I'm new on here, sorry if this isn't the place to post this
You could probs call the school about the circumstances for deferring and see if they can help w/that? Nice stats, best of luck with your interview!