Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would you guys consider this school as top tier along with AZ?

Yes, CCOM over AZCOM but I would imagine AZCOM would be up there as well. Residency placements are really solid at both, like mid tier MD solid. Test scores at both are also very high. At AZCOM COMLEX 1 pass rate is the 3rd highest of all DO schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The only thing that changed on the portal for me was under applicant checklist, required pre-recs were added...Guessing that might mean waitlisted/rejected??? Any ideas on this/what it shows for reject?
Interviewed 4/10

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys know if CCOM have an apartment on campus or does everyone have to get an apartment and drive to school?

hey guys,

I am a second year (just finished my first year) and a CCOM student. I lived on SDN when I was applying and it helped me tremendously. I would love to pay it back. Let me know if you have any questions!
I have a few questions if you don't mind

1. Are rotations mostly suburban/urban areas or are you forced into rural areas as well?
2. Confirmation that class is not mandatory, and classes are not recorded
3. How is the grading system for classes?

Yes, CCOM over AZCOM but I would imagine AZCOM would be up there as well. Residency placements are really solid at both, like mid tier MD solid. Test scores at both are also very high. At AZCOM COMLEX 1 pass rate is the 3rd highest of all DO schools.

I've heard that AZCOM's pass rates and scores are higher than CCOM's and they match better outside of the region, whereas CCOM sticks mainly to the midwestn. ANyone have a match list from this year?

Do you guys know if CCOM have an apartment on campus or does everyone have to get an apartment and drive to school?
I called them out of curiosity last week. They have dorm-style residences that are furnished and include utilities, and they have on campus apartments. they told me the price ranges from 850-1350/mo and it's factored into your tuition payment. I'm willing to bet you'd find cheaper off campus via the Facebook group once you've been accepted. I wouldn't know though, still playing that waiting game.

Did anyone apply last cycle and has any idea when they start to pull people off wait list?

Members don't see this ad :)
It varies and could be as late as the first week of classes

It all depends on how many students decide to give up their seats. I'm hoping that this year is one of those years where a lot of students decide to give up their seats. LOL.

Alternate listed over the weekend via snail mail. Interviewed 4/10.

To those that have gotten alternate listed...how do you feel like your interviews went?

To those that have gotten alternate listed...how do you feel like your interviews went?
I thought things went really well. I had my last prerequisite outstanding though last semester...and I applied/interviewed pretty late.

We could find out as late as the first week of school!?

Definitely possible. I think i saw the 2003 thread and they didn't look at the waitlist until July, but I would think this is very rare. Looking at the past three to four years, they seem to pull from the waitlist late may through july.

I went to school with a guy for my undergrad and ended up at Lecom but got called by CCOM first week of school in August because a spot opened up. Having CCOM be a better choice, he decided to drop out of Lecom and attend CCOM.

So what your friend missed orientation and the first few days of classes and was expected to pay the deposit/get situated asap?

I went to school with a guy for my undergrad and ended up at Lecom but got called by CCOM first week of school in August because a spot opened up. Having CCOM be a better choice, he decided to drop out of Lecom and attend CCOM.
I would drop everything and run too. Who cares. Deposit fee is a drop in the bucket.

So what your friend missed orientation and the first few days of classes and was expected to pay the deposit/get situated asap?
I mean..the deposit comes out of your tuition costs anyways, so they would pay it regardless.

I am not sure if he missed days. Lecom may have started a week early or something. Idk we werent close.

Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to any of you on the waitlist!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, I have a 3.55 gpa and 3.3 sgpa. MCAT 30. This is my dream school. Do I have a chance? Plus how is the environment?

Better question... How is this school? Is it a good environment? Rural area or in city?

Hi, I have a 3.55 gpa and 3.3 sgpa. MCAT 30. This is my dream school. Do I have a chance? Plus how is the environment?

Better question... How is this school? Is it a good environment? Rural area or in city?

Your sGPA is a little low but overall you've definitely got a shot. The only way to know is to apply!

Not really sure what you mean by "environment" but current students seem happy/have positive things to say about the school. I'm starting in August so I can't really comment much on this. Your questions about rural area vs. city make me think that you haven't done much research on the school, since these things can easily be answered by google search. How can it be your "dream school" if you don't even know where it is? :p The school is located in Downers Grove, a suburb of Chicago.

You could start a thread in the "What are my chances?" forum to ask more about your chances in general! Also, as suggested above, there is a new thread for the 2015-2016 cycle somewhere in this section :)

So what are you alternate listers doing to help your chances? Or are you guys just sitting tight?

Does anyone know when the committee is going to meet? Every time I ask they say it can be any day but old threads say usually on Thursdays (not every) they meet

Does anyone know when the committee is going to meet? Every time I ask they say it can be any day but old threads say usually on Thursdays (not every) they meet
I don't think the committee meets every Thursdays anymore. I think they only do every time seats open up, unfortunately. Crossing fingers a lot of seats open up =)

I don't think the committee meets every Thursdays anymore. I think they only do every time seats open up, unfortunately. Crossing fingers a lot of seats open up =)
I don't think it would make sense to meet every time a seat opened up. More likely when a big group of seats have opened up for efficiency.

Really though as far as I've heard, the committee doesn't even meet for the waitlist. It becomes someone's job to look at the waitlist and pick.

I am a soon to be 4th year (1.5 weeks left of 3rd year, starting to study for step 2...) willing to answer any questions people may have about the school to the best of my ability.

Really though as far as I've heard, the committee doesn't even meet for the waitlist. It becomes someone's job to look at the waitlist and pick.
the million dollar question: when is this going down?!

Currently wait listed and since this is my number 1 want to write a letter of intent. Any advice?

where on earth did you even hear that? lol. I feel like the only people who would know that are MWU staff, and I doubt they're running around advertising that.