Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats bike!! Soon, meows! Send them a letter of int/update if you haven't recently. They must like them. I sent one per month

Thanks for the advice Brett! I've been sending things once a month since my waitlist status in October :( but I haven't sent anything since the first week of May so I think it's about time for me to send LOI number 2! ll

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard anything lately? I haven't heard of anyone getting in for two weeks :(

Just wanted to let you guys know that I just withdrew my acceptance here. Hope it goes to one of you guys :luck:

Just wanted to let you guys know that I just withdrew my acceptance here. Hope it goes to one of you guys :luck:

Thanks for sharing! Gives me some hope since everything has been so quiet lately. Good luck to you wherever you're going! :thumbup:

Anyone heard anything lately? I haven't heard of anyone getting in for two weeks :(

Waitlist movement seems so much slower this year. It's making me sad :(

Im withdrawing my acceptance too. (got accepted at IU) Just remember the waitlist limbo isnt over until school starts. I guarantee ull get in Meows ;) good luck everyone

my daughter's roommate gave up her spot on Thurs-Fri, I wonder if you got her spot

I was accepted today! Got a phone call around 11AM. I am withdrawing from my other school shortly! Best of Luck.

I was accepted today! Got a phone call around 11AM. I am withdrawing from my other school shortly! Best of Luck.

Congrats! Must be a great feeling :) I think I'm just going to give up now lol. Do you mind sharing your stats/if you sent in anything to get pulled off?

Congrats!!!

Good luck to everyone waiting :luck:

Don't lose hope, Meows!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the congrats everyone. Don't give up. Ok here is what I did. I sent a LOI immediately after being Alt listed. I sent another one about a month later saying I was still interested. I also sent in a LOR from my current boss at ATI physical therapy, and from two Midwestern Alumni that I shadowed. My interview, I thought, was terrible. I am a pretty social person and rocked other interviews. This one was rough. My MCAT was a 28 with a glaring weakness on VR (7). I explained that my reading has never stopped me in my LOI briefly by relating it to my reading score on my ACT 23 compared to everything else being 30+. Science GPA was 3.5 and overall was 3.6 at a Big Ten School. Lots of shadowing hours, research was lacking IMO, and a lot of volunteering hours.

This might be a silly question, but are CCOM students required to do rotations at hospitals chosen by the school or can they arrange rotations with other hospitals? We got a list of the top 16 of 66 rotation sites at our interview and they're all Chicago-area hospitals. Does anyone know if we can do out-of-state rotations or international rotations? Thanks.

your core rotations third year have to be done at core site which are scattered throughout chicago area.
your electives can be set up anywhere.
you have some additional ore rotations 4th year that are also done at core sites.

Congrats! Must be a great feeling :) I think I'm just going to give up now lol. Do you mind sharing your stats/if you sent in anything to get pulled off?

do not give up yet.
a little birdie once told me they narrow their geographic radius as they get closer to start date. and remember you can get pulled during the first week of classes - i know it happened to at least one person in my class and at least 2-3 in the current 3rd year class.
i am keeping as many fingers and toes crossed for you as i can.

do not give up yet.
a little birdie once told me they narrow their geographic radius as they get closer to start date. and remember you can get pulled during the first week of classes - i know it happened to at least one person in my class and at least 2-3 in the current 3rd year class.
i am keeping as many fingers and toes crossed for you as i can.

Thanks!! I've heard that too - which sucks for me because I'm OOS (but still Midwest). I appreciate the support :) I was just really hoping if it were to happen it wouldn't be that late....at some point I'm going to have to move to the school I've already been accepted to.

So at my LECOM-Bradenton interview they said if you're waitlisted to let them know if you're accepted anywhere else (not sure why, but I'm assuming it would positively affect their decision to pull you). Do you guys think this is something CCOM cares about? I'm almost out of ideas here and I just remembered this haha

So at my LECOM-Bradenton interview they said if you're waitlisted to let them know if you're accepted anywhere else (not sure why, but I'm assuming it would positively affect their decision to pull you). Do you guys think this is something CCOM cares about? I'm almost out of ideas here and I just remembered this haha

Idk...at this point it seems all you can do is wait and see how the cards of destiny play out...lol. If you have another acceptance, you don't have too much to worry about IMO. Of course we all have preferences.

Idk...at this point it seems all you can do is wait and see how the cards of destiny play out...lol. If you have another acceptance, you don't have too much to worry about IMO. Of course we all have preferences.

Hahaha see I have the opposite view. At this point, what's the harm in putting down every card in my deck? I've been on the CCOM waitlist for over what is going on 14 months and I don't want to sit back and be quiet with one month to go. I don't want to seem like I'm ungrateful for what I have because I'm not, it's just that CCOM has been my first choice for a long time.

Hahaha see I have the opposite view. At this point, what's the harm in putting down every card in my deck? I've been on the CCOM waitlist for over what is going on 14 months and I don't want to sit back and be quiet with one month to go. I don't want to seem like I'm ungrateful for what I have because I'm not, it's just that CCOM has been my first choice for a long time.

I agree. I would go for it. What harm could it do at this point?

your core rotations third year have to be done at core site which are scattered throughout chicago area.
your electives can be set up anywhere.
you have some additional ore rotations 4th year that are also done at core sites.

Thanks for the info!

I agree. I don't see any harm in letting them know that you've gotten into other schools. I highly doubt they would flat out REJECT you just bc you were accepted elsewhere. If anything, it would show them that you are already accepted to med school so you must be a half-decent applicant, right? ;)

I recently sent a letter and I mentioned the other school I have been accepted into. I'll let you know if it works ;)

I agree. I don't see any harm in letting them know that you've gotten into other schools. I highly doubt they would flat out REJECT you just bc you were accepted elsewhere. If anything, it would show them that you are already accepted to med school so you must be a half-decent applicant, right? ;)

I recently sent a letter and I mentioned the other school I have been accepted into. I'll let you know if it works ;)

Plus, it shows that you have been accepted somewhere else, but really want to go to CCOM over the other option. May be a good look

I appreciate the feedback guys! The worst that can happens is that I don't get in....which is already the situation anyways lol

Can some current CCOM students shed some light on this. I want to know how caring the faculty is at CCOM? do they care for the success of the students and help students out as much as possible, etc. any specific examples/occurrences that helped you gauged how helping/caring the faculty is would be great. thank you

Anyone heard anything about waitlist movement? How likely is it that they will accept people at this point, in mid-July?

Anyone heard anything about waitlist movement? How likely is it that they will accept people at this point, in mid-July?

I know of people that got in last week. So movement is still happening, but who knows how much more there will be. I want to say CCOM orientation starts on the 30th so there's less than 3 weeks left. Let's try to stay positive! :/ I'm almost all set on moving to my other school at this point though, so hope is almost gone for me...

I know of people that got in last week. So movement is still happening, but who knows how much more there will be. I want to say CCOM orientation starts on the 30th so there's less than 3 weeks left. Let's try to stay positive! :/ I'm almost all set on moving to my other school at this point though, so hope is almost gone for me...

Thanks DrMeows. If people got accepted last week, there might be a wee bit of hope for us! I'm also getting ready to move to my other school, but if CCOM accepts me, I will gladly move back. Even if it happens in August. :D

Thanks DrMeows. If people got accepted last week, there might be a wee bit of hope for us! I'm also getting ready to move to my other school, but if CCOM accepts me, I will gladly move back. Even if it happens in August. :D

Oh I gladly will too! :) I'll keep my fingers crossed, but it's just so hard to stay positive at this point! :/